PDA

View Full Version : computer help

hippypants
03-24-2013, 02:28 PM
I keep getting pop up messages on my old computer that says Unresponsive Script, and then it prompt me "stop script" or "continue" which cases it to freeze up and slows it down considerably. Is there an easy way to get rid of this? I have an older computer that runs on XP, and has McAfee software on it, so I don't think I picked up a virus, but you never know. I also thought about downloading one of those free registry cleaners--anyone use these? Can you recommend one? Any advice.

markwoll
03-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Does the error always pop up at the same web site, or when you first open your browser?
If you try a different browser (chrome or firefox ) do you get the same pop up?
It may be that a broswer plug in/search bar has been changed or shut down ( if they are less than savory) and not working as the author intended.

Registry cleaners are not very good or safe. Running them in an automatic mode can lead to worse problems.
Running them in a prompted mode really dose little to help, unless you know the correct answers.

You could try running Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/) which does a reasonable job of finding bad stuff and performing some remediation. For free, or paid if you wish.

mark

NogbadTheBad
03-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I get that problem a lot on my works laptop (that uses XP & IE), when I'm on Progarchives. It get's hung up trying to download all the images. Seeing as I can't update software on my works laptop I just avoid PA on it.

I use Spybot, CCleaner is also a good cleaner.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

hippypants
03-25-2013, 01:13 AM
Mark/NogBad-- no the message had been popping up on a lot of different sites. I just bought a flash drive today and put a bunch of pictures and extra stuff on it, so that I won't have it on my hard drive, and then I'll do a disc clean tomorrow, and see if that helps.

I guess I should have said I was using Mozilla Firefox, and recently had added on a few little things: one is a thing which allows you to add stuff to Facebook (which is totally useless, so I just went to Tools and took it off), and the other thing is an Ad blocker, which I may end up removing too. So I'll continue to see if I can track down the problem and solve it. I also plan to do the Spybot tool, so thanks for the advice there.

Thanks for the help and advice.

MissKittysMom
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
IE puts that message up when a page has run 10000 lines of JavaScript. (Yes, that qualifies as arbitrary more than slow.) I don't know what would cause Firefox to complain.