PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Tips and Lessons for a Beginner?

Jerjo
03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I started a thread a few months ago on recommendations for a new guitar/amp for an absolute beginner. Because of that thread (and the advice from a couple friends), I decided to start with an acoustic guitar because a.) if this turned out to be a dismal failure I didn't end up spending money for a guitar and amp and b.) the acoustic would force me to really work on getting chords and fingerings to ring true whereas an electric cover up mistakes.

So I've been farting around with this new acoustic for a couple weeks now. At least four or five times a week I sit down and plunk out scales, and keep hitting major chords until I can make them sound right. No calluses yet, just pain. It's a bitch getting 55 year old fingers to respond the way I want them to but I keep hacking away at it, which scares the living shit out of our little dog. Any suggestions on exercises or something to strengthen my fingers, especially the last two? And any suggestions on places online to get lessons? I started with this place but maybe there's some others I don't know about.

http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm

Thebigdipper
03-19-2013, 04:50 AM
We're of a similar age, and I'm also beginning to learn a new instrument (Chapman Stick). After playing a guitar for 35+ years, it's odd and frustrating being a beginner again!

I'm not a guitar teacher, by the way, and I would always defer to someone who has studied the craft of empowering others if their advice contradicts mine...

I'd suggest you make sure you put a bit of focus into your practice sessions by limiting the variety of guitar styles you try to learn at this stage. Assuming you're playing right-handed, make a choice about how you're going to strike the strings with the right hand. Fingerstyle? Pick/plectrum? Thumbpick? Hybrid? Pick one and stick to it for a while.

Then, why not decide what sort of material you want to play intially and do the same there. Solo pieces? (Usually implies fingerstyle right hand). Strumming chords to accompany the voice? (Usually, but not always, implies a plectrum). Etc., etc.

This helps you decide where to put your energy and focus. Now you can make better choices when people suggest websites or books to you.

When practicing, I'd suggest you try for a regular daily session, no matter how short. 15 minutes a day, every day, is better than 30 minutes, three times a week or 3 hours every Sunday.

Then, when practicing, try splitting your time into two -
a) learning new repertiore/material and
b) developing muscle memory and technique.

Learning new material can only be done in small chunks. I stop retaining new info after 20 minutes or so. Repeatedly practicing something to imprint it into your fingers can be practiced until you get tired or bored, but don't try to cram in too much new stuff at once because you'll forget it all and get upset with yourself.

I realise this has all been about approach rather than specifics, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Norman

everythingtoexcess
03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Strength and independence with your left hand pinky and ring fingers is VITAL and a total pain. The good news is that you can work on them ANYWHERE! You don't have to have a guitar with you to build the basic skills. Put your left hand on a flat surface so that it's in it's natural curved position...the heel of your hand, the side of your thumb, and your finger tips should be touching the desk. First raise JUST your pointer finger and tap the desk. easy. Now your middle finger. still easy (remember to keep all of your other finger tips in contact with the desk). Now your ring finger....AAAARRRGGGHHH...it's REALLY hard for most people to move that one independently. Give it time. very small movements at first are probably all that will happen. After a week or so, your brain will work out the coordination and you'll have a lot less trouble. The more you do it, the easier it'll get and the stronger that finger will get. Same idea applies to the pinky, but you'll probably find that easier to get moving independently.
I have a great exercise for working on that skill with the guitar, but I can't think of a clear way to explain it. I'll get back to you.
Good luck
K

Mikhael
03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
One other thing: when pressing the strings down, you don't have to squeeze the neck in half. Many beginners do. You just have to press the strings hard enough to make good contact with the fret. In reality, your fingers shouldn't have to actually touch the fingerboard (although they usually do). Point is to touch TO the fret, not THROUGH it. Learn to control your hand as you learn the movements, and you'll be better off down the road (plus, it'll help stave off any RSI problems).

nosebone
03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
My rec is find a good teacher for eight lessons....., just to set you straight.

Jerjo
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, I live out in the middle of nowhere in a town of less than a thousand people. I can't get a plumber, let alone someone that gives guitar lessons. Besides, if there was someone out here they'd want to teach me either country or Jesus tunes. Yeah, I'm in this to play the devil's music so that's not gonna happen.

Jefferson James
03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Skype lessons (http://brucebouillet.net/lesson.html) with a fantastic guitarist, $40/hr.

Digital_Man
03-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Apparently there's a guy near me who's a well known blues guitarist who gives lessons but I don't want to learn blues or blues rock. Not a good fit for me. I would like to learn how to play though. I'll have to keep looking.

nosebone
03-19-2013, 11:49 PM
Well, if you can't find a good teacher than I would recommend Justinguitar lessons on Youtube.

He plays most styles well.

Here's an example of a beginner lesson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkkOFLouQDs

Enid
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
A good thing to remember is that the position of your thumb on the left hand is very important when playing your first bar chord. Also chords that require all 5 fingers to stretch across 5 or 6 frets while only one finger is doing a bar. It requires practice in the wrist, thumb position, and the practice of opening up your left hand like you might do with a baseball glove. Once you experiment any position you desire, call on the positions you like best and practice left hand movements even when the guitar is not in your hand..for example..when T.V. commercials are on and you don't feel like watching them. Place the fingers in mid air so that you can get used to the shapes. When you learn your first bar chord, you might place all fingers in the correct position and feel uncomfortable thinking.."Wow, I can't get my ring finger to relax and the notes are muffled".."How am I going to play this?"..Don't! For 3 days straight practice playing only the bar with your required finger and then by the 4th day begin to practice adding the other fingers. Take all the baby steps and build up your simplistic or even technical gymnastics naturally.

If you're just starting out and having trouble switching open chords in the first position evenly in a excercise or song, remember that for example if the song is in 4/4 ..with a chord change on each beat, you have exactly a second to change the shape of your left hand landing all your fingers on the correct strings, while positioning the pick in your right hand to strike a new string/note. This must take place between the count of 4 and 1 which is the end of the measure. This development of balance between your 2 hands has to do with timing. The clock ticks and your hands have a second which is the actual upbeat of 4/4 to change position. You may have to sustain a chord until the time of the 4th beat is complete..so that gives you a whole of a second to change before the 1st beat of the next measure arrives. This is quite like knowing when to dive into the pool. Are you choosing to dive at a given moment through the screams of the crowd or are you taking a deep breath and feeling when it's right? With developing this particular technique, you feel and grab. Taking a deep breath always helps prior to playing the "Grand Bar". Also with some of the well known easier to play chord shapes..you should make an attempt to sometimes experiment "slanting" certain fingers of your left hand while others are not. The chord may sound cleaner and less difficult to play. You may not be aware that some of your fingers should be slanted and waste too much time on getting the chord clean and feeling uncomfortable and quite discouraged. Always experiment with your left hand when something feels unnatural and pop a lot of questions to your teacher/private instructor..or e-mail them.

Jerjo
04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Some great tips here guys. Thanks. I am slowly going through Justin's beginner videos. I do notice that I am putting way too much pressure on the strings and am trying to master that light touch. Some nights I really suck, others I only suck a little. It's progress I guess.