PDA

View Full Version : Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Watanabe
11-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Any thoughts?

I picked up a five album set of the five albums from S\T to Keep on Moving and have had a quick listen to all of them so far.

Dig the first two right away, but the more soul influenced, brass rock direction of the next ones hasn't made much impact yet.Some interesting stuff, but quite a few safe sounding tracks at first listen.

ronmac
11-08-2012, 01:53 PM
LOVE HIS STUFF! Paul was one of the true greats. I really hate the fact that I didn't appreciate him until after his death. There are some truly great live recordings out there from all eras.

spellbound
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Great band. I like East-West Live. Sure, it sounds like a bootleg, but where else are you going to find 3 live versions of that tune, with insane improvisations by Bloomfield.
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/592/MI0001592646.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

CarvinAbuser
11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm a fan, my favorite song by them is Get Yourself Together.

Pangolin
11-09-2012, 02:13 AM
LOVE HIS STUFF! Paul was one of the true greats. I really hate the fact that I didn't appreciate him until after his death. There are some truly great live recordings out there from all eras.

And he never quite gets the recognition he deserves, does he, despite the occasional comment about how influential 'East-West' was.
I was re-reading Jac Holzman's semi-autobiography ('Follow the Music') recently and he's got some interesting stuff on Butterfield. And Bloomfield. The 'cast of characters' of those appearing in its pages just states "Blew the house down at Newport" for PBBB.

mogrooves
11-09-2012, 12:45 PM
East West was the first album I recall described as [lower case "p" adjective] "progressive" in '66.

Caught him a few times in '69 & '70 and once later with the "Better Days" line-up.

Live is a killer....

rapidfirerob
11-09-2012, 02:19 PM
First concert I saw was Joni Mitchell, PBBB, and Tim Hardin for $3 on the lawn at Tanglewood, Massachusetts. His music was great and he was an amazing harmonica player, fantastic tone. East West was a highlight for me as well, and that album with three versions of it live is killer.

R. Totale III
11-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Dig the first two right away, but the more soul influenced, brass rock direction of the next ones hasn't made much impact yet.

I thought the same until I heard the album "Live", and now it's even better as a two CD set than it was as a 2LP set way back when. It's on Spotify if you have that. The studio albums I agree not so much, but given room to stretch that was one shit-hot band.

trurl
11-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I always wanted to have a band called "The Paul Bluesfield Butter band". It just strikes me as funny.

ronmac
11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
East West was the first album I recall described as [lower case "p" adjective] "progressive" in '66.

Caught him a few times in '69 & '70 and once later with the "Better Days" line-up.

Live is a killer....

Mo, you always seem to bring out my jealousy. :(

His music was great and he was an amazing harmonica player, fantastic tone.

Also one of the great white blues singers, IMO.

mogrooves
11-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Not my intention Ron, I assure you. I'm just an aging hippie re-living his misspent youth through modern technology. ;)

Butter was a hip mofo, sure enough.....

rapidfirerob
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Also one of the great white blues singers, IMO.
No doubt!!!

Reid
11-11-2012, 11:27 PM
The first PB Better Days album is worth picking up.
http://www.geocities.jp/hideki_wtnb/better1st.html

yogibear
11-12-2012, 04:42 PM
yeah east west is some cool stuff with the expermental eastern influences . really nice stuff. the live east west is supposedly very rough sounding. you like this band cuz of the harmonica or the guitar work? mike bloomfield was pretty ahead of his time on this album and on the super session release with al kooper and stephen stills.

ronmac
11-12-2012, 05:16 PM
yeah east west is some cool stuff with the expermental eastern influences . really nice stuff. the live east west is supposedly very rough sounding. you like this band cuz of the harmonica or the guitar work? mike bloomfield was pretty ahead of his time on this album and on the super session release with al kooper and stephen stills.

All of the above, plus singing. Even Butterfield's later work had some great horns.