PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sean Connery dead at 90

markwoll
10-31-2020, 09:49 AM
The 'real' James Bond, Zed ( of Zardoz) ,Mulai Ahmed er Raisuli ( Wind and the Lion ), Daniel Dravot ( The Man Who Would BE King ), Indiana Jones's Dad, etc , etc.
What a legacy.

sean connery has died at-the age of 90/ (https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/10/31/sean-connery-has-died-at-the-age-of-90/)

The Dark Elf
90 years old. Who wants to live forever....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq-ROgI5a2M

mnprogger
https://variety.com/2020/film/actors/sean-connery-dies-oscar-winner-and-james-bond-star-dead-at-90-1234820498/

he was great and still the definitive James Bond for me, but I think of him still 1st and foremost for 2 roles.

The Untouchables
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

reading that story, there's probably some of his other roles I'd enjoy that I never have seen.

RIP.

mozo-pg
10-31-2020, 11:10 AM
The Untouchables, and I forgot Highlander, are at the top of my life long viewing history. RIP. Ninety's a good age.

spellbound
10-31-2020, 11:11 AM
Rest in peace, Sean Connery. You brought great joy to us in your many roles on the silver screen. You will be missed.

proggy_jazzer
10-31-2020, 11:14 AM
For me, also, he will always be the definitive Bond, even though it was Moore when I started going to movies in the 70s. And I thought he was excellent in many other roles as well; one of my favorite turns was the Russian captain in The Hunt For Red October. A big chunk of my cinematic enjoyment is no longer with us, but what a career and legacy he left. RIP

Sputnik
10-31-2020, 11:17 AM
Was a big fan of his when I was a kid, agree that he defined the Bond role. Also loved him in Name of the Rose, Zardoz... really just about everything he did. I hope he had a great life!

Bill

NogbadTheBad
10-31-2020, 11:28 AM
Name Of The Rose may be my favorite, he was the definitive Bond. Very good in Highlander and Untouchables

The Dark Elf
10-31-2020, 11:33 AM
Name Of The Rose may be my favorite, he was the definitive Bond. Very good in Highlander and Untouchables

Agreed on both counts. It was literally impossible to recreate the full intent of Umberto Eco's brilliant book, but Connery was excellent as William of Baskerville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUUB96c6EpY

Vic2012
10-31-2020, 11:33 AM
RIP 007

nycsteve
10-31-2020, 12:14 PM
RIP Bond . James Bond.
Fav Non-Bond , The Anderson Tapes.
Some damned career. RIP Sir.

dropforge
10-31-2020, 12:20 PM
RIP. One helluva career. One helluva life.

GuitarGeek
10-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Just yesterday, I was posting a picture on my Facebook of a pair of people in Zardoz themed costumes. Thunderball will always be my favorite James Bond picture.

RIP

Scrotum Scissor
10-31-2020, 01:04 PM
Historic.

He was of the same generation as Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Albert Finney, Denholm Elliott, Peter O'Toole and arguably Oliver Reed, who were all expected to follow on the classical tradition of names like Olivier, Richardson, Guinness, Redgrave and Gielgud but despite a heavy-duty education and commitment could never have lived up to that, given a fundamental change in the spirit of the ages.

Like the last living of his "classical" generation (Michael Caine and Anthony Hopkins), Connery's career went on an artistic/commercial downhill from the late 70s and a decade on (The Untouchables marking his definitive comeback), although in contrast to those other two he actually made some rather watchable movies in-between, like the underrated Name of the Rose (by the severely underrated director Jean-Jacques Annaud) and the darkly nihilistic farce Wrong Is Right.

There will never be another age wherein screen actors of "presence-personae" takes a defining cultural role as in the phases of a man like Connery. Today that very same personae would be ousted for its "offensive and degrading" state of mind and implication. The overall narrative of western-man-as-individual-entity has effectively been culturally outlawed.

Gruno
10-31-2020, 03:08 PM
Bond. Ramirez. Jimmy Malone.

My Badass Hall of Fame is feeling it's first loss.

RIP

https://i.imgur.com/Z5CK3w2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kcOx93L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1kHsOF7.jpg

rich
10-31-2020, 04:14 PM
https://variety.com/2020/film/actors/sean-connery-dies-oscar-winner-and-james-bond-star-dead-at-90-1234820498/

he was great and still the definitive James Bond for me, but I think of him still 1st and foremost for 2 roles.

The Untouchables
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

reading that story, there's probably some of his other roles I'd enjoy that I never have seen.

RIP.

Couldn't agree more on all counts... made this exact point to my son earlier today.

Vic2012
10-31-2020, 04:21 PM
First Bond film I ever saw was Goldfinger in 1964 or so. Even the theme song was powerful. Shirley Bassey killed it very memorable.

BravadoNJ
10-31-2020, 06:00 PM
RIP... too many great roles to list.

rapidfirerob
10-31-2020, 07:18 PM
The definitive James Bond. Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and my favorite Bond film, Thunderball. All fantastic.
The Man Who Would Be King with Michael Caine is a great film. Enjoy your martini shaken, not stirred, Sir Sean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAi5ER5FOU

Sputnik
10-31-2020, 08:04 PM
The Man Who Would Be King with Michael Caine is a great film.Wow, how could I have forgotten that one? I remember going to the cinemas in West Springfield, MA with my folks to see this when it came out! Made a HUGE impression on me! Must track this down, I need to watch it again!!

Bill

the winter tree
10-31-2020, 11:41 PM
I watched a behind the scenes documentary about Man Who Would Be King a few years ago and Sean Connery did his own stunt falling off the rope bridge and down over a hundred feet in the chasm onto a mattress looking thing marked with an X. Director Huston looked at the camera and said "that's the damnedest thing I've ever seen". And Connery was not a young man. He didn't even hesitate . that would never happen these days. He was truly badass.

Progatron
11-01-2020, 12:04 AM
He was an excellent Macbeth early on in his career, he handled the role beautifully and it may be the finest acting I've ever seen him do. People don't realize that nowadays.

jake
11-01-2020, 01:58 AM
Sad to see a fellow Scottish Nationalist and Glasgow Celtic fan leave us. I always felt his greatest performance was in the 1973 masterpiece of intensity “The Offence.” Connery plays a burned-out policeman whose mind is haunted by the depravity of the (mostly sex) crimes he has investigated over the years. The film also stars another sadly missed Scottish actor Ian Bannen. I won’t spoil it for you.

markwoll
11-01-2020, 10:11 AM
One of my favorite films.
Nice balance of bombast, humor and action.

https://youtu.be/LqpGVOFUNv0

AncientChord
11-01-2020, 05:41 PM
2020 has been a bad year all around, and the loss of many of my childhood heroes has contributed to it. Neil Peart, Bill Rieflin (More recent, but still a hero), Keith Tippett, Peter Green, Ennio Morricone, Carl Reiner, Diana Rigg, Kirk Douglas, James Drury, and now Sean Connery. My first experience with Connery was seeing him as James Bond in Goldfinger, when I was 10 years old. I became an instant fan of his, and eventually saw all of the Bond films that he starred in. An old friend and I even went to the Los Angeles premiere of You Only Live Twice at Grumman's Chinese Theater in 1967. To this day he, to me will always be the quintessential James Bond. He'll always remain the giant icon of the Bond franchise. As he got older, I understood why he tired of playing the role of 007. And he feared he would become typecast in that role. But he didn't because he was such a good actor that the many great films he did after Bond were noteworthy themselves and his roles unforgettable. His death, among the others I mentioned makes me think of my own mortality. But I'm glad I lived in his heyday along with the others mentioned. I hope he is in peace and saying hello to the original M,Q and Moneypenny. You will be missed Sir Sean.

GuitarGeek
11-01-2020, 06:18 PM
Besides Thunderball and Zardoz, my other favorite Connery picture is Outland, a really good sci-fi picture set in a mining community on one of Jupiter's moons.

Vic2012
11-01-2020, 06:24 PM
Besides Thunderball and Zardoz, my other favorite Connery picture is Outland, a really good sci-fi picture set in a mining community on one of Jupiter's moons.

Outland was a great film. Wanted to mention it. Thank you.

Sputnik
11-01-2020, 07:20 PM

Outland was a great film. Wanted to mention it. Thank you.OMG! How did I forget this!?!?!? Amazing film, a favorite of mine! Where was my head? I need to get this on DVD! Good call guys!

Bill

markwoll
11-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Lots of great movies. I have seen a number of them, but far less than half.
Sean Connery imdb filmography (https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0000125/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1)

Mythos
11-02-2020, 01:24 AM
Cool guy who somewhat quietly left an impressive body of work...

Gotta see The Name of the Rose again (it's been years...)

Garyhead
11-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Cool guy who somewhat quietly left an impressive body of work...

Gotta see The Name of the Rose again (it's been years...)

Dang......Why is The Name Of The Rose so hard to find? And it's at stupidly high prices on the secondary market. Always enjoyed that movie.

GuitarGeek
11-06-2020, 06:52 PM
T\You know what i forgot? Time Bandits! He was King Agamemnon! And I remember seeing a program where I think Terry Gilliam it was, who said that in the script, where Agamemnon takes off his helmet, it actually says, "The warrior took off his helmet, revealing Sean Connery, or an actor of equal but cheaper stature". They wanted Connery for the role, but they didn't they'd ever be able to get him. But somehow, Sean got the script, took an interest, and boom, he was in the movie.

Dave (in MA)
11-07-2020, 12:06 AM

It was essentially a remake of High Noon.

hippypants
11-07-2020, 10:30 AM
I saw Goldfinger last night, still a classic.

nycsteve
11-07-2020, 11:05 AM
I saw Goldfinger last night, still a classic.

Bond "Do you expect me to talk ? "
Goldfinger " No Mr Bond , I expect you to die."

Jerjo
11-08-2020, 05:43 PM
It was essentially a remake of High Noon.

A damn entertaining remake!

When I was a youngster in the 60s, my parents forbid us from seeing those Bond movies. Apparently they thought his promiscuity was not the stuff role models were made of. My first taste of Bond was the campy Moore films. But I eventually caught up with Connery's Bond films. And yeah, he was the personification of cool and cold. I love Craig as Bond but his interpretation is more temperamental, runs a little hotter. But as noted in this thread, he did far more than just Bond. There were just so many iconic roles in a very long career that my favorite changes every day. But today, it's the Scottish captain of a Russian submarine. "Give me a ping, Vassily. One ping only please."