View Full Version : Crimson ProjeKct live album

polmico
03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
DL only though :(

http://iapetus-store.com/album/official-bootleg-live-2012

Spiral
03-08-2013, 06:03 PM
DL only

That makes sense. This doesn't look like something important enough to merit a hardcopy.

Kcrimso
03-08-2013, 06:28 PM
There IS a hardcopy: http://www.papabear.com/store/store.html#opencd

polmico
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks, man! Ordered.

Spiral
03-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I stand corrected.

Still not sure why this really needed any release though. Not that it wasn't fun to see this group play some of the classics, but this seems a little closer to the Plays-The-Hits nostalgia mold than I prefer. They could have included newer material from the two trios at least; then it would have had more of a forward-thinking feel to it.

Haruspex Carnage
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I stand corrected.

Still not sure why this really needed any release though. Not that it wasn't fun to see this group play some of the classics, but this seems a little closer to the Plays-The-Hits nostalgia mold than I prefer. They could have included newer material from the two trios at least; then it would have had more of a forward-thinking feel to it.

Exactly. Even as a die hard fan, i don't care enough for this. Strangely enough without Fripp it just...isn't there for me...there's a lack of cohesion/tightness/momentum? Or i'm just imagining things. i mentioned it before in another thread and people kind of attacked me...but i'm sick of the nostalgia thing as well...granted KC never really had "hits" but they're treating those songs like they are and playing them out...dig deeper (THRAK is the only track that i'm interested in hearing from this), but surprise us if you're gonna do this!

robinslick
03-09-2013, 05:43 AM
Yeah, really. Who wants to hear six brilliant musicians in a live performance?

Saying something is nostalgia is so cliche. So I guess you can't listen to the works of the great classical musicians, either, because, you know, you've heard it all and there will never be anything new coming from them.

And oh, $10 will break the bank. Trust me, these guys are all making new music and this is just a little treat they put out on the side. Silly them.

NogbadTheBad
03-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Robin,

It's a valid point however you personally feel about it. I've seen them live twice in the last couple of years and really enjoyed it (I actually bought a Dream Theater ticket just the see them, and left after their set). But seeing them live feels much more the right setting for this type of material rather than on CD. I've bought dozens of live Crimson albums over the years and have lots of the solo and band albums by the alumni. This doesn't really excite me all that much I prefer the original material (and Julie's last two albums are great).

Having said all that I may end up buying this as a memento of two great gigs I attended. If it's got Crimson on the label I feel some compulsion to buy.

robinslick
03-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Cool, Ian. I think that's why they put this record out - it's a memento of the gig. And a treat for someone not lucky enough to have attended. But would we all like to hear new music from this band? Hell, yeah. But that's why there is Stick Men, Julie Slick solo, Markus' various projects, etc. These are such insanely talented people and listening to anything they do is pure bliss. With Adrian joining NIN and concentrating on his new solo record, who knows if the Projekct will tour again let alone make new music. But it was a blast seeing them together - their joy on stage was evident and that's a rare thing these days. Not many people smile in general, you know? Too busy texting, I guess :(

Polska
03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Personally, I love the fact that Crimson and the related projects release tons of live material. I don't buy all of it, but I'm glad there's so much to choose from. I grew up listening to them between the 70's and 80's incarnations, and then suffered through the hiatus period until the double-trio. During those long breaks, there was nothing new available aside from crappy bootlegs, (and Earthbound... :( ), so for the poor sod who already owned everything Crim you were left wanting. I think it's remarkable that even though I didn't need another Power to Believe live document, I was able to purchase a high quality download of the Buffalo concert that I sat 2nd row for. Unheard of in the past.

Keep it coming I say!

Spiral
03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
seeing them live feels much more the right setting for this type of material rather than on CD. I've bought dozens of live Crimson albums over the years and have lots of the solo and band albums by the alumni. This doesn't really excite me all that much I prefer the original material (and Julie's last two albums are great).

Having said all that I may end up buying this ... If it's got Crimson on the label I feel some compulsion to buy.
Well, shoot. This pretty much summed up the entire response I was going to make. Lord knows I've happily dropped a ridiculous share of cash to support what these guys/girl do already, precisely because they're all so brilliant, but that's also why I've got at least a dozen versions of each of these songs on my Ipod to start with. Maybe the fact that it's Crimson (who've always avoided looking backward too much) is the reason it felt a little off to make a whole set out of material that's 19 to 38 years old. Yes, "nostalgia" is really a cliche and that's more negative than I meant it to sound, but I wasn't sure how else to put it. That doesn't mean I didn't love seeing them do it in person or wouldn't go back again if I get the chance.

These are such insanely talented people and listening to anything they do is pure bliss.
Very true. Sorry if I hit a nerve there, Robin. I'm in total agreement with that entire post regardless.

Strangely enough without Fripp it just...isn't there for me...
This I actually have no problem with. I loved that part of the show because it was a chance to hear these songs from a different lineup.

Haruspex Carnage
03-09-2013, 11:07 PM
These guys aren't infallible to me; for example, seeing Crimson all four nights of their last incarnation i told Sid on camera that i thought they were sloppy for half of it when i appeared to be "young enough" to be filmed for "having never seen them" perhaps (and he agreed!)...but from what i've seen of this group off youtube, again, i just think, uhh cool, but ultimately why? For FUN/to scratch that itch i suppose, and more power to them, but not something i'd personally pay to see or buy...given those sets. Perhaps i've gotten burnt out. Good on you though for supporting/plugging it!

Just my two cents.

Hobo Chang Ba
03-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Awesome.