PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tim Smith

thedunno
07-22-2020, 05:01 AM
I am completely gutted. My nr. 1 musical hero is no more.
Although I have not yet seen an *official* confirmation of his death, several people of the inner circle already commented on facebook and Cardiacs.net just shows a starry sky who misses his leader.

https://www.cardiacs.net/

Goodbye you beautiful man! Thanks for all the wonderful and completely unique music you gave us.

loosefish
07-22-2020, 05:23 AM
This is the day i've been dreading for a long, long time, devastated doesn't cover it. Big love to Tim and extended family and Cardiacs fans across the board. Hope Kavus is ok.

What a fucking body of work though...

aith01
07-22-2020, 06:15 AM
No... :(

This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for his family, friends, and everyone else who's feeling this loss. Tim could never be replaced. I hope he knew how much he was loved.

This one hurts. :(

aith01
07-22-2020, 06:16 AM
Goodbye you beautiful man! Thanks for all the wonderful and completely unique music you gave us.

You said it better than I could. Thank you. :up

battema
07-22-2020, 06:19 AM
RIP

NogbadTheBad
07-22-2020, 06:45 AM
Damn sad day, RIP Tim.

walt
07-22-2020, 07:03 AM
RIP and thanks for the music.

Zappathustra
07-22-2020, 07:48 AM
This is painful. Sincere condolences to the people who knew him and loved him.

AdventAlan
07-22-2020, 08:00 AM
I was so devastated to wake up to this news this morning. Sincerest condolences and best wishes to all.

smcfee
07-22-2020, 08:17 AM
Ack, fuck, fuck, fuck.

Sunlight Caller
07-22-2020, 08:43 AM
Very sad news today, and tragic that Tim had to suffer so much in the later stage of his life. What a unique, genius warped vision he gave us, and we are left with a catalogue of wonder to sustain us. I feel for Kavus and all those who were close to this inspiring man.

Steve F.
07-22-2020, 08:50 AM
Tim's last dozen years is like something out of a malignant fairy tale; how could something like that actually possibly happen?
What a sad coda to the life and career of someone who was so filled with humor and joy.

moecurlythanu
07-22-2020, 08:57 AM
What a gut punch this is. Sad, sad painful news. Condolences to all who loved him.

Mister Triscuits
07-22-2020, 09:06 AM
So sad to wake up to this news. Farewell Tim.

thedunno
07-22-2020, 09:11 AM
This was just posted by Mary on FB:

Good afternoon, everyone.

I hope you are all holding yourselves together. It will be hard but you can do it without denying your grief and without being angry at the world.

Despite the struggles Tim faced over the last 12 years, we all somehow felt he would never leave us. This is, in part, because he looked Death square in the face: with his good and true eye: so many times and won. It was also wishful thinking, though, because we knew the abyss-like hole he would leave in all our lives.

At this time, we are comforted by the fact that he left us quietly, albeit suddenly, and that no monsters got their filthy claws in him while we weren’t looking. When we were looking, they didn’t stand a chance.
His fans adored him. He changed people for the better. He saved lives. His music was a refuge for those in need and he never locked his door or turned anyone away. I feel as if church bells across the land should be ringing out his name.

We love him fiercely.
Mary x

Beautiful words. I love him fiercely too.

chalkpie
07-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Oh man. I've never immediately bawled so hard after opening up PE. The world just lost an amazing musical genius, and a beautiful person. I don't even know if I have it in me to play any Cardiacs today...its gonna be rough. Sincerest condolences to all pondies everywhere, Tim's family, and Sir Kavus. Thank you Tim for your incredible music, you have helped me in countless ways and given me joy beyond words.

adap2it
07-22-2020, 09:22 AM
Oh no! Heaven is the place right now..I'm totally devastated !!!

Progatron
07-22-2020, 09:25 AM
Tremendously sad news. :( I'm so sorry to read it this morning. RIP Tim, you've earned it.

JAMOOL
07-22-2020, 09:28 AM
don't know what to say right now. I don't know how much he was suffering these last few years, in some small way it's almost a relief to know he isn't stuck inside his prison any more. But the man was such a saint and undeniably one of the greatest musicians who ever lived. I'm just devastated. Hope Kavus and everyone else who knew him personally is doing okay.

Tangento
07-22-2020, 09:55 AM
No words, my friends.

To anyone on Twitter, please join in my tribute thread to Tim.
https://twitter.com/Tangento/status/1285908708485206018?s=20

miamiscot
07-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Damn.

Scrotum Scissor
07-22-2020, 10:02 AM
So sorry to hear it.

spacefreak
07-22-2020, 10:05 AM
Very sad news. A musical genius.

Boceephus
07-22-2020, 10:30 AM
RIP Tim. Your music lives on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovecraft
07-22-2020, 10:31 AM
Grim.

RIP Tim.

Marco
07-22-2020, 10:41 AM
He's not suffering anymore. Safe travels, Mr. Smith!

iguana
07-22-2020, 11:17 AM
my obit on my fb page. sadly to be expected but heartbreaking nonetheless:

Tim Smith has died. Twelve years after suffering a multiple stroke and (ironically) cardiac arrest (and being severely impaired) he has now left this world. He has also left a musical legacy of bravery and brashness that is second to none. He has left his world ... and it‘s an endlessly beautiful one.

If – in retrospect – there was one band that I had probably been searching to discover throughout my conscious life as a listener and appreciator of original music it must have been Cardiacs, with Tim Smith‘s genial songwriting at its centre. Although an early default setting of mine would have been metalhead or headbanger, I was long drawn to the exuberant delusions of grandeur as well as the sheer audacity of prog rock, while also liking the grass-roots ethos and the iconoclasm of the best in punk rock – and its abrasive wit that prog‘s earnestness never really allowed to the surface. Cardiacs were the first band to combine both and make it accessible in a highly idiosynchratic and quintessentially english way, as far as rendering obvious comparisons such as Zappa, Beefheart and some RiO/Canterbury futile. If one searches remnants of Genesis, The Sex Pistols, The Specials, Gentle Giant, early Paul Weller and The Kinks in a giddy moshpit-type romp (otherwise known as "the pond" for those in the know) they are the place to seek out. Prog and Punk were never as separated and incompatible as many post-1977 pop cognoscenti would like you to believe and Cardiacs, under the aegis of Tim‘s madcap genius, are living loving proof to that.

They could move from two minute punk blowouts to celebrating 10 minute symphonies with the blink of an eye and did so whenever the whim took them. This was often and frequently the case. At the heart of this sat Smith‘s genius for melodies. However we are not talking about feeble campfire singsong melodicism, we are dealing with multiple melodies, often at odds with each other, often chasing themselves around and ascending through multiple key changes – and then coming back crashing down to leave an imprint so grand and all-engulfing that only the strongest of emotions will suffice to describe the experience one can have with them – and i did several times. All of this will usually happen within the span of one pop song for this, by Tim Smith‘s own accounts, is what they had been producing in their time, no more or less. They were one of the best (pop) groups that no-one had ever heard of. Those who did often led a happier and more determined life.

What a privilege to be alive at the same time. The expansion of participative internet services during the naughties had augmented the availability of their otherworldly material and thus I was able to make this late but none more unwelcome discovery to my life. The array of name artists – think Damon Albarn, Mike Patton, Radiohead, Biffy Clyro, Marillion and Napalm Death to name a few – to lay testimony to Tim Smith‘s influence speaks volumes. His compositorial style is now the estate of musicologial research and the honourary doctorate awarded to him by Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in 2018 represents a bold and ultimately important laureate to the fringes, creaks and crevices of the music business which often – deal-less and nonexposed – houses the best and most challenging stuff. I discovered it at exactly the right time in my life and this lunatic catalogue of assorted wonderments will prevail livelier than ever.

This is an uncomfortable obituary to post. Only two days ago we lost one of our dearest and closest friends to a brave but unfaltering and often domineering battle against cancer. That is a private matter and as such it will remain private. Tim Smith, to his credit and the joy of many few, has of late attained an entirely grass-roots propelled publicity with his artistic heritage and thus I take liberty of going public with this here. RiP you legends. Thanks, Timmy.

Written on a big ship after a day on land and in the sea, with both often occuring at the same time. Just like the best of Cardiacs.

TCC
07-22-2020, 01:01 PM
This is a sad day for shure!

Descanse en paz Maestro!

My condolences to Tim's family, friends and of course, to Kavus!
Rest in Peace and thanks for the music!.

Polypet
07-22-2020, 01:15 PM
So sorry to hear this. Condolences to his friends and family.

JAMOOL
07-22-2020, 01:29 PM
gathered a few thoughts here

https://critterjams.wordpress.com/2020/07/22/the-leader-of-the-starry-skies/

there have been a few moments in my life where music just seemed too good to be true. Cardiacs made up most of them. I had so much fun introducing them to my friends. one reaction I got a few times was "this is amazing, I hate it"

Baribrotzer
07-22-2020, 02:06 PM
What a shame. What a shame.

But he left some great music.

And somewhere in the Great Beyond, an old man with a heavy Italian accent is asking him, "I just got here too, and I'm putting together an orchestra. Would you like to play the fuzz guitar for me?"

Mascodagama
07-22-2020, 02:08 PM
Fucking hell.

pepetriano
07-22-2020, 03:27 PM
I guess some small part of me had great problems accepting that he never would be able to make music anymore. This (His death) is what the rational part of me have been sort of waiting for since I understood the vastness of the damage made to him. I will forever miss him but also forever be able to enjoy his masterful works.

chalkpie
07-22-2020, 04:03 PM
The first track I'm going to play is Dirty Boy, but it may take me a day or two. I am too much of an emotional wreck right now. Ennio and Dr Tim within a few weeks. Two absolute giants we have lost.

aith01
07-22-2020, 04:33 PM
"Stoneage Dinosaurs" is playing on repeat right now...

The first track I'm going to play is Dirty Boy, but it may take me a day or two. I am too much of an emotional wreck right now. Ennio and Dr Tim within a few weeks. Two absolute giants we have lost.

Understandable. We all grieve differently, and I know both of these guys meant a lot to you. :(

I hope Kavus is holding up as well as can be expected. Can't imagine what this must feel like to the folks who knew Tim closely and worked with him.

It was probably naive, but I kept holding out hope that Tim would improve and might see a better quality of life one day soon. I hate that he's gone, but I find a tiny bit of solace in knowing that he's not suffering.

TheH
07-22-2020, 04:36 PM
Can't believe… RIP

Chuck AzEee!
07-22-2020, 07:32 PM
Heartbroken...

Dana5140
07-22-2020, 09:04 PM
It's been Cardiacs all day. This one hurts so much.

Sterbus
07-22-2020, 10:32 PM
REST IN PEACE MY MAN TIM SMITH. THE CARDIACS WERE A HUGE INFLUENCE ON ME AS WELL AS MY BAND MR.BUNGLE. THEY DID IT RIGHT, INDEPENDENTLY AND WITH NO APOLOGIES. TONS OF RESPECT AND LOVE.

Mike Patton on Facebook

chalkpie
07-22-2020, 10:46 PM
I was able to play one song by Tim tonight...Dergo. Not sure why I chose that but it was all I could do today. Hopefully tomorrow I can do a bunch more. Tim's passing was covered by a bunch of online publications - even Fox News 'fer christsakes! I still can't get over the fact that he is no longer with us. I know he was in great hands and the care was the best under the given circumstances. I managed to score vinyl LP's of Sing to God and Heaven Born at the Cardiacs site today....I can't believe that those were still available. I am going to play Loveless by My Bloody Valentine in a few minutes after I finish up Tanz der Lemminge.

TCC
07-23-2020, 12:15 AM
This is a sad day for shure!

Descanse en paz Maestro!

My condolences to Tim's family, friends and of course, to Kavus!
Rest in Peace and thanks for the music!.

np:
Sing to God.

thedunno
07-23-2020, 02:03 AM
I just played 'Savour' and was not able to keep it dry. I still feel pretty shaken up. Now is 'Swimming with the snake' up; does not really make it better.

But what can we do? we MUST honor the man by playing his music.

thedunno
07-23-2020, 03:13 AM
Archive is up now. Its been too long since I've heared the piffol stuff.

The Twickerman
07-23-2020, 05:03 AM
Dreadfully sad news.

A talented and lovely fella.

Leaves a tremendous body of work.

loosefish
07-23-2020, 07:55 AM
I just played 'Savour' and was not able to keep it dry. I still feel pretty shaken up. Now is 'Swimming with the snake' up; does not really make it better.

But what can we do? we MUST honor the man by playing his music.

You're doing better than me. Won't be able to listen to any of this stuff for a good while i think. Been listening to Stereolab and The Gasman very loudly instead, with Ennio Morricone for afters:up

Zappathustra
07-23-2020, 11:14 AM
It's impossible to speak about Tim Smith, and avoid using the word "genius" - and this comes from a person who is not a die-hard fan. The uniqueness of his vision has no parallel in the music world as far as I can tell. This is like music not made for human beings, but for some other, still undiscovered species.

Maybe we become this species when listening to Tim's music: a playful, festive, life-affirming species. Maybe Tim has found relief abandoning his hurt body. I really hope so.

chalkpie
07-23-2020, 11:38 AM
It's impossible to speak about Tim Smith, and avoid using the word "genius" - and this comes from a person who is not a die-hard fan. The uniqueness of his vision has no parallel in the music world as far as I can tell. This is like music not made for human beings, but for some other, still undiscovered species.

Maybe we become this species when listening to Tim's music: a playful, festive, life-affirming species. Maybe Tim has found relief abandoning his hurt body. I really hope so.

So true on the genius label. I remember seeing a Steve Vai interview talking about FZ and one of the reasons he saw him as a total genius was his ability to create inventive art on a whim, and in a very natural manner, almost with the perception of not even trying (I am very much paraphrasing here, and of course we know the immense amount of work that was involved). Tim and Masetro Morricone were two composers that fit this criteria wholly as well. There weren't *some* things that were great and some that were good/ok - to my ears ALL of it was spectacular and always inspired. The Garage Concerts are proof that even as "Kids", Tim was a composer that was unlike anybody before him, he had the gift all along from the very beginning. Even if the Jon Poole era of Cardiacs (for example) wasn't some of the earlier fans favorite era, there is no denying that the three 90's studio albums (plus Tim's solo album and Spratley's Japs and The Sea Nymphs) were all on equal footing with anything he ever did. All of those albums are amazingly inventive, inspired, unique, and just downright beautiful in their own way. So yeah, genius gets thrown around too may times perhaps, but in Tim's case I think it's just one of many words to describe Tim's amazing abilities. He was also a major motherfucker on guitar, vocals, and studio wizardry in both musical and visual terms.

Bill Ferny
07-23-2020, 02:56 PM
RIP Tim - Thanks so much for the music.

eyerolls
07-23-2020, 04:46 PM
The saddest news, RIP Tim Smith. We will praise him!

Music means more to me than I can put into words, but Tim's goes so much further, someplace beyond sacred; truly precious. I never knew the man personally, but his music transformed my life for so much the better. I can honestly say with no exaggeration that I would not be the person I am today without having discovered that musical world. I will mourn his loss and celebrate his life to the fullest of my ability over the days to come.

"Foundling" is my favorite song of all time, I've never been able to listen to it without crying, and I'm certainly not about to stop now.

Mister Triscuits
07-23-2020, 05:14 PM
"Foundling" is my favorite song of all time

The synthesizer on that track is the voice of God.

Progatron
07-23-2020, 06:28 PM
I can't get out of this phase, it's like what happened back in January with Neil Peart, and suddenly my entire collection was meaningless other than the Rush albums. I've got work to do, I'm supposed to be listening to my review copies of the new Tangent and the new Gungfly in preparation for upcoming interviews next week, the new live IQ has arrived... all I can do is look at them while I spin Cardiacs CDs. I've gone through almost everything the last two days, revisiting so many favourites and allowing myself to be taken on those Cardiacs journeys that have been so special to me over the years. It's like these melodies were composed for me and me only.

Looks as if a day is gone. :(

chalkpie
07-23-2020, 09:34 PM
I can't get out of this phase, it's like what happened back in January with Neil Peart, and suddenly my entire collection was meaningless other than the Rush albums. I've got work to do, I'm supposed to be listening to my review copies of the new Tangent and the new Gungfly in preparation for upcoming interviews next week, the new live IQ has arrived... all I can do is look at them while I spin Cardiacs CDs. I've gone through almost everything the last two days, revisiting so many favourites and allowing myself to be taken on those Cardiacs journeys that have been so special to me over the years. It's like these melodies were composed for me and me only.

Looks as if a day is gone. :(

This happened to me, and it was measured in years. There are only a few precious musical discovery/journeys that overwhelm one's senses and entire being during a life - Cardiacs were definitely one for me. I think when fans are saying that Tim's music changed their lives, I can personally relate and know exactly what they mean. I think he knew this with the outpouring of love he received.

Tangento
07-23-2020, 09:45 PM

Chalk: Over the years, it seems that you've stolen the words from my mouth many, many times. We have much in common, buddy.

Yes, this one REALLY hurts, especially after losing Ennio.

gathered a few thoughts here

https://critterjams.wordpress.com/2020/07/22/the-leader-of-the-starry-skies/

I loved your post, and linked to it on my Tim Smith Twitter thread tribute. I welcome any Tweeters (but certainly no Woofers) to join me there. (link below)

BTW, was PE the forum where you discovered Cardiacs? It certainly was for me, way back in 2003, and in a very similar manner as yourself. There were actually 2 people here who got me going, and I just wish I could remember their usernames to thank them profoundly, properly & profusely.

my obit on my fb page. sadly to be expected but heartbreaking nonetheless:

Can you post a direct URL to this? I'd love to add it to my Twitter thread, which is here:

::Tim Smith Twitter Tribute::

http://www.tangento.net/images02/RIP-Tim-Collage-rz-fr-sm.jpg (https://twitter.com/Tangento/status/1285908708485206018?s=20)

thedunno
07-24-2020, 03:05 AM
My Cardiacs memory

Its 1988 and I was still a young prog head. It were not the classic bands that interested me, but the newer younger bands like Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night and Pendragon were the ones I could identify with the most. I had a subscription to this Dutch magazine called Sym Info and somewhere in 1988 there was a review of an album by a band called Cardiacs. The name rang a bell; was that not that band that was pelted of the stage as the support act for Marillion a few years earlier? They must be crap!

I started reading the review. It started something like this : “A cross between Genesis and the Sex pistols, is that possible? Noooo!!!!!, will thousands of deeply shock progheads immediately shout out. Alas folks, the monster lives.“
My curiosity was immediately aroused.

At the end of this (very positive) review was a contest. Win this CD! All you had to do was answer the following question: Who borrowed Cardiacs his Mellotron for the recording of Little man? The answer (Martin Orford) was not that hard because it was in an interview with Tim and Sarah in the same issue of Sym info. I put my answer on a postcard and send it. A few weeks later I found the CD in my mailbox.

At the first listen I really was not sure whether I liked them or not. It was all a bit ‘wild’ for my by Marillion and IQ polished ears. Still, I could not deny there was some demonic attraction in the music that kept pulling me back. No too long later I saw them live in Amsterdam. Those theatrics, that tight playing, big volume, enormous energy, Sarah :oops and, above all, all that FUN! THIS WAS THE BAND THAT I WAS SEEKING!!!!!!

Been a fan ever since.
And Marillion? Never looked back.

walt
07-24-2020, 05:37 AM
From The Quietus.

https://thequietus.com/articles/28654-tim-smith-obituary-cardiacs

thedunno
07-24-2020, 06:56 AM
My Cardiacs memory

Its 1988 and I was still a young prog head. It were not the classic bands that interested me, but the newer younger bands like Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night and Pendragon were the ones I could identify with the most. I had a subscription to this Dutch magazine called Sym Info and somewhere in 1988 there was a review of an album by a band called Cardiacs. The name rang a bell; was that not that band that was pelted of the stage as the support act for Marillion a few years earlier? They must be crap!

I started reading the review. It started something like this : “A cross between Genesis and the Sex pistols, is that possible? Noooo!!!!!, will thousands of deeply shock progheads immediately shout out. Alas folks, the monster lives.“
My curiosity was immediately aroused.

At the end of this (very positive) review was a contest. Win this CD! All you had to do was answer the following question: Who borrowed Cardiacs his Mellotron for the recording of Little man? The answer (Martin Orford) was not that hard because it was in an interview with Tim and Sarah in the same issue of Sym info. I put my answer on a postcard and send it. A few weeks later I found the CD in my mailbox.

At the first listen I really was not sure whether I liked them or not. It was all a bit ‘wild’ for my by Marillion and IQ polished ears. Still, I could not deny there was some demonic attraction in the music that kept pulling me back. No too long later I saw them live in Amsterdam. Those theatrics, that tight playing, big volume, enormous energy, Sarah :oops and, above all, all that FUN! THIS WAS THE BAND THAT I WAS SEEKING!!!!!!

Been a fan ever since.
And Marillion? Never looked back.

Unbelieveable. I posted the same story as above in the Cardiacs Facebook group and I got the following reply:

Bert Hilhorst
Joost de Wall You can be my ghostwriter from now on! I also came from neoprog through Sym Info into Cardiacs by winning the CD and seeing them first time at the Paradiso. Remarkable!

He also attached the review I was talking about:

Translation:
Is there such a thing as a crossing between the music of let’s say Marillion and Pink Floyd with that of The Residents and The Sex Pistols? Hopefully not will be the answer of thousands of deeply shocked progheads. Regrettably friends: the monster lives.

Cardiacs is the name of the English bunch of multi-instrumentalists that spawns this music. They gave birth to a musical Monster of Frankenstein, a tonal Freddy from Nightmare on Elm’s Street. The most beautiful polished sounds end up in total anarchy, uncouth raw rock seamlessly morphs into symphonic bombast. And the worst thing about all this is that this record evokes a demonic attraction, a Siamese newborn that belongs to be in every record collection.

Amiga Symfonica of all countries unite yourselves at Stonehenge and gather around this hybrid. Symphonic rock will never be the same again.

WARNING: The Cardiacs perform coming May 13th at Het Paard in The Hague and on May 15th at Paradiso (Counter tone festival).

STILL PIGHEADED? Then answer the next question: Which member of IQ indirectly contributed to the Cardiacs album?
Send you answer on a postcard to Sym-Info, mailbox 187, 3190 AD Hoogvliet. A recommendation: answer succinctly but most of all wrong. Otherwise you run a life-long risk of soon receiving one of the five free CD’s in your mailbox

Man, was that guy right about the life-long risk.

aith01
07-24-2020, 11:02 AM
Wow, Joost... Thanks for sharing that. :up

Brad to the Bone
07-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Was surprised to see his death covered in the local daily newspaper here in Ottawa yesterday. Can't recall ever seeing such an obscure figure covered in their "Entertainment/Celebrity Gossip" section before. Usually it's all Drake, Kim and Kanye, etc.

adap2it
07-24-2020, 05:33 PM
My first impression of Cardiacs, or maybe just Tim...I'm sure he was influenced. So English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v8KL52BhmE

iguana
07-27-2020, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=Tangento;988492]

Can you post a direct URL to this? I'd love to add it to my Twitter thread, which is here:

[CENTER]
::Tim Smith Twitter Tribute::

here you go … try this: https://www.facebook.com/immoerik.hagemann/posts/10219071556754614 (https://twitter.com/Tangento/status/1285908708485206018?s=20)

it’s on my twitter as well (as screenshots): [url]https://twitter.com/ManVersusMedia/status/1286194697543847937

thanks!

Tim
07-27-2020, 09:55 PM
Not unexpected. Of course, death should never be unexpected. I never got to see Cardiacs, but they were tops on my list. Thank you so much, Mr. Smith, for all your fantastic work!