PDA

View Full Version : Hiding threads one is not interested in

Don Arnold
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey Mods,

Just wondering if there is capability (either presently, or with some modificaions) to be able to hide threads from view that one is not interested in. I've often thought this would have been a good feature on PEv2, but didn't bother to ask about it. Sort of like hiding posts on facebook or other sites.

Sorry if this issue has already been brought up. No, not really.

Scott Bails
11-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Never heard of this on any forum, but I love the idea. :up

Poisoned Youth
11-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I'll check on this. This was something I asked about a few times on PEv2 as well.

aplodon
11-08-2012, 04:43 AM
I've often thought this would have been a good feature on PEv2, but didn't bother to ask about it.

You never used the bookmark function on PE2?
It's sort of the opposite of what you are asking for, but with the same result. Instead of choosing which threads you are not intersted in, you choose (bookmark) the ones you are interested in.

And there is a bookmark function on PE3, aswell, but it's more complicated to use.

Don Arnold
11-08-2012, 10:07 AM
It's sort of the opposite of what you are asking for, but with the same result. Instead of choosing which threads you are not intersted in, you choose (bookmark) the ones you are interested in.

And there is a bookmark function on PE3, aswell, but it's more complicated to use.

Oh yeah, I made good use of that feature on PE2 and am subscribing to threads on this new version as well. You're right - it's a little higher maintenance to use but once you get the clicking routine in the old sinapses it becomes fairly rote.

Where I would find a hide thread feature useful is I often scan the main or OT (and now sub) forums to find new ones I may be interested in reading posts in. Sometimes when I visit PE, I only have a couple minutes. If I could hide threads that the topic has little to no interest for me, then the page of threads I do a quick scan of will just be the newer ones started, plus existing ones that I may be interested in.

In the grand scheme of things, this is no biggie. Just a feature that would have some usefullness, at least for me.

aplodon
11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
If I could hide threads that the topic has little to no interest for me, then the page of threads I do a quick scan of will just be the newer ones started, plus existing ones that I may be interested in.

OK, I get your point. In my case that would mean that I'd have to hide 90% of the threads, so I doubt it would work very smoothly for me.

Wilton Said...
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM

How does one book mark?

Duncan Glenday
11-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey Mods,

Just wondering if there is capability (either presently, or with some modificaions) to be able to hide threads from view that one is not interested in. I've often thought this would have been a good feature on PEv2, but didn't bother to ask about it. Sort of like hiding posts on facebook or other sites.

Sorry if this issue has already been brought up. No, not really.

We had requests for that on PEv2 as well.

Unfortunately, that capability does not exist without some fairly substantial modifications to the source code - which would then make it impossible for us to install system upgrades of bug fixes.

Don Arnold
11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
How does one book mark?

Unless Duncan beats me here, you do this:

On any given thread you are viewing, click on "Thread tools" at the top. Then "Subscribe". There's a couple of preferences you can choose your options for, then click on "Add Subscription".

When opening up PEv3 then, click on "Quick Links" along menu items near the top, and hit "Subscribed Threads". Voila, they appear for you just like the "Bookmarked" threads in PEv2.

Don Arnold
11-08-2012, 06:31 PM
We had requests for that on PEv2 as well.

Unfortunately, that capability does not exist without some fairly substantial modifications to the source code - which would then make it impossible for us to install system upgrades of bug fixes.

Thanks for the reply & info Duncan. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

spellbound
11-08-2012, 06:53 PM
How does one book mark?

Buy him a drink.

Wilton Said...
11-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Unless Duncan beats me here, you do this:

On any given thread you are viewing, click on "Thread tools" at the top. Then "Subscribe". There's a couple of preferences you can choose your options for, then click on "Add Subscription".

When opening up PEv3 then, click on "Quick Links" along menu items near the top, and hit "Subscribed Threads". Voila, they appear for you just like the "Bookmarked" threads in PEv2.
Thanks

Digital_Man
11-11-2012, 12:58 AM
WHy not just ignore the threads you aren't interested in or just don't respond to them?

Trane
11-11-2012, 03:37 AM
Buy him a drink.

badaboom crash...

Don Arnold
11-11-2012, 11:52 AM
WHy not just ignore the threads you aren't interested in or just don't respond to them?

Well, by default, this is what I do now. It's what we all do! And I'm fine with this, btw. I just thought the capability of deleting threads from view that you're not interested in following would keep the pages a little cleaner. It would save having to glance at the half-dozen or so Yes threads on the first page that I have no desire to read posts it. :lol

Poisoned Youth
11-11-2012, 03:40 PM

I like the "ignore thread" function as a cleaning tool. It worked great back in RMP (known as killfile). You could filter out thread titles by keywords. This led to more "signal", less noise.