PDA

View Full Version : Black Rock Groups

sonic
11-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Have been a rarity for the most part. Hendrix, Funkadelic and Mother's Finest (and early rockers like Chuck Berry etc...) are some of the few I have been familiar with. On a whim I discovered this article:
http://www.spin.com/articles/black-rock-oral-history
And in it some interesting artists.
Please add to the list!
...'mixed' groups are fine too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwYM2t22h_E&feature=relmfu

sonic
11-07-2012, 12:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFdMz-uihs&feature=related

sonic
11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
with a black singer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkeUFRK4i7w

dgtlman
11-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Living Colour

Progmatic
11-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Santana

Boceephus
11-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Eric Gales Band

progholio
11-07-2012, 02:11 PM
pretty cool.

i was a very big fan of all of those people/bands in the article, still am really. used to see them all in concert back in the day along with the Bad Brains.

3LockBox
11-07-2012, 02:50 PM
You mean like, dark metal?

Oh alright, I'll play. Depends on how you define 'rock'.

I think there are quite a few African-American artists who've figured heavily into rock and pop, whether they front men or members. Sly & Family Stone, Thin Lizzy. Bands like Doobie Bros, Allman Bros, E-Street Band, and many more. Plenty of "black" artists figure heavily in the advancement of fusion in the '70s. Maybe it just feels rarer than it really is. If there was ever an era that this wasn't the rule, it was prolly the hair metal '80s.

ItalProgRules
11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Early Funkadelic is da bomb.

rcarlberg
11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Osibisa
Basement 5
Love
Body Count

Progbear
11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAWcg1r5uIc

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
--Shona Laing

N.P.:“Gritos”-Ave Rock

Progbear
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAZ9R2t5Jd0

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
--Shona Laing

N.P.:“Ausencia”-Ave Rock

FrippWire
11-07-2012, 03:47 PM
There was a proto punk band from Detroit called Death. Their recorded output has recently been reissued. They were touted as "the next Stooges" and known for never having sold out. Also from Detroit was a group often considered the first black rock band called Black Merda. Check out both bands.

Progbear - Thanks for posting the Death tune. It wasn't there when I started my post.

Baribrotzer
11-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Animals as Leaders

Led by a black guy, Tosin Abasi, who is considered one of the up-and-coming shredders and plays an 8-string guitar.
The band also includes a Hispanic guy, Javier Reyes, on second 8-string guitar; and a white guy, Matt Garstka, on drums.

adewolf
11-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Animals As Leaders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc

Vic2012
11-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Anyone mention King's X?

Jay G
11-07-2012, 06:18 PM
How about 24 7 Spyz or Bad Brains or Lenny Kravitz or Slash or the hardest rocker out there Prince.

PotatoSolution
11-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Hootie and the Blowfish.

Duh.

jake
11-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Fishbone?

rcarlberg
11-07-2012, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rloidlFbi4w

sassenach99_1999
11-07-2012, 11:42 PM
These guys THUMPED!!! Guitar player surfaced in Fishbone later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdhcVq5esw

JIF
11-08-2012, 12:55 AM
There was a proto punk band from Detroit called Death. Their recorded output has recently been reissued. They were touted as "the next Stooges" and known for never having sold out. Also from Detroit was a group often considered the first black rock band called Black Merda. Check out both bands.

Progbear - Thanks for posting the Death tune. It wasn't there when I started my post. Isn't that their video in the post above yours? How about Living Colour?

Hunnibee
11-08-2012, 02:34 AM
No love for Lenny Kravitz? I saw him in concert once and he was pretty damn good!

progholio
11-08-2012, 10:52 AM
There was a proto punk band from Detroit called Death. Progbear - Thanks for posting the Death tune. It wasn't there when I started my post.

these guys are absolutely 'the shit'.
a few years back they had their album 'For the Whole World To See' available as a free download, now it's available for purchase on Drag City, well worth it if you're into that sort of thing.

progholio
11-08-2012, 11:03 AM
or the hardest rocker out there Prince.

the guy couldn't rock his way out of a jar of Gerri Curl

"No love for Lenny Kravitz?" - nope!

"Anyone mention King's X?" - not yet, but they defintiely rock.
while were on the subject of rock bands with one black guy, how about Suicidal Tendencies?

"Animals as Leaders" - very interesting stuff for sure. with all of the instrumental content happening at ProgDay i would say these fellows would make a fine addition to the festival.

A. Scherze
11-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Animals As Leaders

I'd say these guys are Prog!

spellbound
11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_1080/MI0002/903/MI0002903133.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Wrong.

meimjustalawnmower
11-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Bad Brains, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCEkuo94X6I

progeezer
11-09-2012, 02:59 PM
:O:O:O No one's mentioned the "Time,Time,Time,Time" mantra and more than enough cowbell to keep Chris Walken happy of The Chambers Bros. (one of whom is a friend of PE's daddysangbassdude (John).

arj
11-09-2012, 05:08 PM
The Dan Reed Network had a multicultural line up and are one of my favourite bands of all time. Best frontman I have seen live.

Paul
11-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Here's the classic "Show-Stopper" from Iron Knowledge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY4fqIp8gdg

Scott Bails
11-10-2012, 11:06 PM

Disagree. Prince is a mofo.

yogibear
11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
sly and the family stone
demon fuzz-afreaka
cymande
fela kuti

Prince can rock and is a killer player and showman. check out some of his after hour live shows for evidence.

Vic2012
11-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Disagree. Prince is a mofo.

I don't have anything by Prince, but I agree that the guy's a Mofo. He can play guitar.

:up

progholio
11-12-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't have anything by Prince, but I agree that the guy's a Mofo. He can play guitar.

:up don't bother, get a Bad Brains album instead, Dr Know is a much more badass Mofo on the guitar.

progholio
11-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Here's the classic "Show-Stopper" from Iron Knowledge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY4fqIp8gdg

i'd say that's rockin', very cool.

J. D. Mack
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Fishbone?

Well, the only album of theirs that I have is "Give A Monkey A Brain and He'll Swear He's the Center of the Universe" and there is some damn good rock on that album!

http://youtu.be/59_FivvLXgA

PeterG
11-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Absolutely criminal that no one has mentioned Skunk Anansie or The Wailers yet. What is wrong with you people? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnv47orMiUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3WaSETf8k

sonic
11-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Absolutely criminal that no one has mentioned Skunk Anansie or The Wailers yet. What is wrong with you people? ;)

The Wailers - while very good - are reggae, not rock.

PeterG
11-13-2012, 09:14 AM
The Wailers - while very good - are reggae, not rock.

And reggae is a type of rock. The Wailers played a lot more rock than many supposed prog rock bands.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
11-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Mandrill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayhpzgUrPQM

FrippWire
11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Big ups to Sturgeon. Mandrill is extra large. My bad for not thinking of them sooner.

JIF
01-07-2014, 12:29 AM
SantanaSpeaking of Santana and black rock groups, I didn't know until recently that Greg Walker is black.

No love for Lenny Kravitz? I saw him in concert once and he was pretty damn good!I was at Barnes & Noble today, and picked up the 20th anniversary edition of Are You Gonna Go My Way. Apparently, it was released in September. I'm usually up on new releases/reissues, but that one caught me by surprise. I also have the reissue of Mama Said, but missed the reissue of Let Love Rule.

ronmac
01-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Well, he can "rock," but it seems disingenuous to me. He tends to mimic a lot of others and is more show than anything, IMO.

And that falsetto. UGH!

GuitarGeek
01-07-2014, 09:43 AM

:up

Purple Rain is a fantastic album. If that's not rock music, I don't know what it is. Definitely essential listening, as far as I'm concerned.

I've mentioned this before, but there's a great Prince bootleg called The Undertaker. It's basically about 45 minutes of him jamming in the studio with just a drummer and bassist. This was from 94. There was actually a video of it, which I gather was shown on Japanese TV (the version I have has what looks like Japanese subtitles), with this sort "conceptual" thing at the beginning that sort of sets up the performance. The only downside is that he uses this weird pitch bend effect on a couple solos, so you've got this weird sort of reverse whammy bar divebomb on each note. If you can get past that, it's well worth hearing/seeing (trivia: back before she became famous on General Hospital, this was one Vanessa Marcil's first acting jobs, as she's the girl you see at the beginning who talks her way into the studio and ends up dancing to the music during the first song, and then you see her again near the end).

Oddly enough, I happened to have Thin Lizzy's Black Rose playing this morning. Great, great, very underrated album. Definitely one of my favorites from the band.

In the realm of progressive rock, I guess one could mention Djam Karet. One of their guitarists, Michael Henderson, is black. And then there's Alien Planetscapes, who were closer to free jazz with rock instrumentation. I believe one or two of the guys in Mars Everywhere, a late 70's/early 80's improv heavy band from Washington DC, were black.

And going back to the early stuff, I suppose you could call it blues or R&B, but I have to mention Ike Turner. Ike had been touring and recording for several years by the time he met Tina, and amongst other things made some great instrumental records. There's a great CD out called Ike's Instrumentals, which combines an album that was credited to Ike And Tina (though Tina doesn't actually appear on it) and some of his mid 50's singles. If you like that pre-British Invasion era rock n roll type stuff, you might consider giving that a listen. Ike was a ferocious guitarist, and as most of you probably know, he's the answer frequently given to the question "Who recorded the first rock n roll record".

And if we cross over into heavy metal, specifically the neo-classical guitar shredder thing, there's Tony MacAlpine. I haven't heard anything he's done in since the 80's, but his first couple albums (as well as the track that appeared on one of the Guitar Player Soundpages back in 86 or whenever it was) was nothing short of amazing.

And let's not forget Body Count, Ice T's infamous early 90's thrash metal band.

emperorken
01-07-2014, 10:44 AM
The Chambers Brothers, who recorded one of the greatest 60's psychedelic songs, "Time Has Come Today". Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsBwBct0_5U

klothos
01-07-2014, 10:49 AM
How about 24 7 Spyz or Bad Brains or Lenny Kravitz or Slash or the hardest rocker out there Prince.

24/7 Spyz deserves more than just a passing reference in this thread.....Black, White, Green, whatever, these guys were just a fantastic band! (I think they are still together)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQ1a8ZIy0g

No Pride
01-07-2014, 11:00 AM
The Chambers Brothers, who recorded one of the greatest 60's psychedelic songs, "Time Has Come Today". Sorry if this has been mentioned already.

It has; post #29.

I don't want to get into any heated debates or anything, but I find this thread to be a little strange. Music is music and it's played by humans. I know that we tend to associate certain types of music with certain races or ethnic groups, but it's not all that unusual to find any kind of human playing any kind of music. Are we going to start a "rock bands with at least one Asian guy" thread?

No big deal; it just strikes me as kind of weird, especially citing bands that have one black guy. But don't mind me; carry on...

Dave (in MA)
01-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Miles Davis' bands 1970-1975.

Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4AwHYeEEAA

ronmac
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
And going back to the early stuff, I suppose you could call it blues or R&B, but I have to mention Ike Turner.

Yep, Ike really had it. And, he is credited by many (not necessarily me, though) to have released the first true R&R record with "Rocket 88."

philsunset
01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
How about The Bus Boys or the ironically named The Negro Problem

Lopez
01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Here's the rarest of the rare: The Pyramids, an early 60s surf band in which the rhythm guitar player, Willie Glover, was black. Also incredibly rare about them was all the members had shaved heads. They were the house band in the movie Bikini Beach.

Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof
01-07-2014, 11:34 AM
As it was alluded to in the first post, rock and roll wouldn't even exist without being created by black musicians.

ronmac
01-07-2014, 11:45 AM
As it was alluded to in the first post, rock and roll wouldn't even exist without being created by black musicians.

+1

Despite the Pat Boones of the world trying to whitewash it.

GuitarGeek
01-07-2014, 12:54 PM
+1

Despite the Pat Boones of the world trying to whitewash it.

Well, it's not the "Pat Boones of the world" who've tried to whitewash it, but more so the record companies executives and uninformed people who think that rock n roll was "invented" by white people.

Recently, on Pawn Stars, Les Paul's nephew, I think he was, brought in a guitar that was owned by Les. In the process of explaining Les Paul, whichever idiot it was made a comment about Les "inventing rock n roll" or at least being involved in inventing it. Les had a lot to do with creating the technology that made certain aspects of the rock era possible (eg Queen would have never had those lush vocal and guitar harmonies without multi-track recording). But he never had anything to do with playing anything that could be remotely called "rock n roll". At best, he played jazz music, but he also made a lot of what could be termed elevator music, especially when he was working with Mary Ford.

I remember back in 2004, whichever corporate entity that is who now owns the RCA catalog, I think it's BMG, were hyping the 60th anniversary of the birth of rock n roll. Their official reckoning was that rock n roll was born the day Elvis recorded That's All Right. Now, I like some of what Elvis did, but I'm sorry but rock n roll was already happening by then. He wasn't even the first white guy doing it, because Bill Haley had already recorded Rock Around The Clock.

Whoever it was who "invented" rock n roll, I can promise you it wasn't a white man.

klothos
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Now, I like some of what Elvis did, but I'm sorry but rock n roll was already happening by then. He wasn't even the first white guy doing it, because Bill Haley had already recorded Rock Around The Clock.

This is the whole formula that was behind the large, but short-lived, success of rapper Vanilla Ice... (not that Vanilla Ice should ever be compared to Elvis, but Im just making a formulaic analog)

GuitarGeek
01-07-2014, 01:02 PM
This is the whole mantra behind the large, but short-lived, success of rapper Vanilla Ice...

I don't follow. What does Vanilla Ice have to do with it?

klothos
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't follow. What does Vanilla Ice have to do with it?

Like Elvis, he was one of the first guys to take a predominantly "black-culture music" and have commercial success with it. I dont think any white rapper had hit the charts in the previous 9 years since rap's inception. Rap was exploding with teenagers for years in the mid- and late- 80s, but Ice was the first to put "white peeeplez" on the charts with this style of music (Blondie's "rapture" had a rap part on it (and a lame one, too) but it wasnt a rap song, per se)....if you remember that, he was HUGE. Whether or not he was "good" or "bad" at rapping is irrelevent: Him being white and doing rap at the time had everything to do with his success. Like Elvis, it was almost taboo. Word yo.

-=RTFR666=-
01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Like Elvis, he was one of the first guys to take a predominantly "black-culture music" and have commercial success with it. I dont think any white rapper had hit the charts in the previous 9 years since rap's inception. Rap was exploding with teenagers for years in the mid- and late- 80s, but Ice was the first to put "white peeeplez" on the charts with this style of music (Blondie's "rapture" had a rap part on it (and a lame one, too) but it wasnt a rap song, per se)....if you remember that, he was HUGE. Whether or not he was "good" or "bad" at rapping is irrelevent: Him being white and doing rap at the time had everything to do with his success. Like Elvis, it was almost taboo. Word yo.

The Beastie Boys predated Vanilla Ice by a few years, and were certainly no 'one hit wonder/flash in the pan' artists in the rap genre...

wideopenears
01-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm with Ernie, this is a bit of a strange thread...but:

Osibisa?

klothos
01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
The Beastie Boys predated Vanilla Ice by a few years, and were certainly no 'one hit wonder/flash in the pan' artists in the rap genre...

Yup, totally true and I agree --- but they were marketed as a Group under a group name, like "Bill Haley and the Comets"....... this is why Ice has the analog to Elvis

JeffCarney
01-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Assagai

Hannibal (Alex Boyce: Vocals)

Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof
01-07-2014, 04:39 PM
I worked for a wholesale distributor in Oakland when Vanilla Ice came out. We sold tons of cassette singles before Capitol picked up on it. We were selling to a predominantly black clientele who did not know that he was white- The cassette did not have a picture on it. Sampling Queen gave it a familiarity that helped its popularity. Certainly his being white helped when marketing a video on MTV. MC Hammer also sold very well because of a familiar Rick James riff.

As to the creation of rock'n'roll, Louis Jordan took big band arrangements down to a smaller Jump Band format. This simplification sounds like r'n'r to me. Translating further by using guitars and a single sax player took the format closer. Elvis's choices of songs were covers of blues artists. Let's face it: Blues, jazz, gospel- They were created and perfected by black musicians. Rock and roll was certainly co-opted but was also evolved by white kids. Skiffle was the model for the British Invasion groups but they heard black rock and roll and blues through Radio Luxembourg and were more aware of that culture than American youth limited to our radio/payola playlists. Pat Boone does Fats Domino. The Twist was a watered-down version of Hank Ballard done by a man of color who was nothing more than an impersonator***. It's struggling but rock and roll is still alive sixty years later.

GuitarGeek
01-07-2014, 07:14 PM
I worked for a wholesale distributor in Oakland when Vanilla Ice came out. We sold tons of cassette singles before Capitol picked up on it. We were selling to a predominantly black clientele who did not know that he was white-

Same trick RCA used when promoting Charlie Pride back in the 60's: his earliest records didn't have pictures of him on them, so nobody knew he was black. In the late 70's, Motown did the same with Teena Marie's first album

Scott Bails
01-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Are we going to start a "rock bands with at least one Asian guy" thread?

Spock's Beard! :lol

Sorry, Ernie. I pretty much agree with your sentiment.

Jay G
01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
24/7 Spyz deserves more than just a passing reference in this thread.....Black, White, Green, whatever, these guys were just a fantastic band! (I think they are still together)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQ1a8ZIy0g

They are still together in various incarnations and did a few shows last year. I actually saw them on their first tour way back in 89 and they killed. Over the past 4 years or so I have become friendly with founding member, lead guitarist and singer Jimi Hazel. He is a great guy and huge music fan of all kinds of crazy stuff.

Progbear
01-08-2014, 03:09 AM
Have I shared the 80s AOR/hard rock act Xavion yet?

http://youtu.be/NvY79VTPqjo

There’s also the prog band Easter Island, who had a black singer (Rick Bartlett).

Also: people here were bashing Prince earlier? For shame! Purple Rain, Around the World in a Day and Lovesexy were great albums!

GuitarGeek
01-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Holy crap! How did I forget to mention Jon Butcher Axis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBPS7xTd45g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzSrla72o-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKPfsRmPmuE

An instrumental on the Along The Axis album was nominated for a Grammy that year, but lost out to Jeff Beck. I always that was kinda funny, because Jon is one of the singers "auditioning" for Jeff in the Ambitious video. I always dug that blue Strat he used back in the 80's.

emperorken
01-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Can't believe I forgot to mention the great guitarist Larry Mitchell, who has recorded many albums over the years. He tours with his band The Larry Mitchell Trio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4RsLAWB3SA

Dave (in MA)
01-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Same trick RCA used when promoting Charlie Pride back in the 60's: his earliest records didn't have pictures of him on them, so nobody knew he was black. Charley Pride was a pioneer in another area. His tribute to Jim Reeves album was the first copy-protected CD, because you know all those kids just wanted to grab that puppy off Napster.

Camelogue
01-08-2014, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;203391]Holy crap! How did I forget to mention Jon Butcher Axis?

Life Takes a Life!

[

Scrotum Scissor
01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Lotsa great names up for proposal here.

Brazil even had their sheer of black musicians in the 70s progressive rock movement of that country. Som Nosso de Cada Dia indeed sported a keys player and a drummer of African origins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi4pqJA-Yhc

Som Imaginario had a black drummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK96_TWugz4

Or how about a black cockney keyboardist and band leader? Julian Jay Savarin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySgUQQbiVDo

Zeuhlmate
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Band of Gypsys !

mogrooves
01-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Death, out of Detroit, 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwehxN2ipCU

Yanks2014
01-09-2014, 02:13 PM
I recall some Jon Butcher songs from a couple decades back, solid stuff if I remember correctly.

Any mention of Tony MacAlpine? He's a monster guitarist and keyboardist. And he's done a lot outside of his solo career, like being a sideman for Steve Vai, then bands like CAB, Planet X and others.

As to Prince, I never got what the big deal was, always found his music annoying at best. Multi-talented, yeah. Can he play guitar? Sure, but so can a lot of people. More often than not he's seen wearing the guitar like a piece of jewelery. Someone mentioned his use of falsetto, which is incredibly irritating. Now I have that awful song "Kiss" in my head. Make it stop! Remember "Batdance"? Uhhhhggg, horrible! I remember some good songs too, but nothing terribly exciting. Purple Rain? What a stupid movie, and the title track is pure dreck of a ballad. Talented but overrated.

As to Chuck Berry, I'm not much a fan of 50's rock, but definitely give Chuck his due as an inovator.

Hendrix? Supreme talent, and I love most of the Experience material. Band of Gypsies is not my thing. I do think people exaggerate his greatness a bit, but he does deserve accolades.

Yanks2014
01-09-2014, 02:14 PM
I'll echo any comments on Doug Pinnick, one hell of a vocalist with one of my favorites, King's X.

ronmac
01-09-2014, 02:39 PM
I recall some Jon Butcher songs from a couple decades back, solid stuff if I remember correctly.

Any mention of Tony MacAlpine? He's a monster guitarist and keyboardist. And he's done a lot outside of his solo career, like being a sideman for Steve Vai, then bands like CAB, Planet X and others.

As to Prince, I never got what the big deal was, always found his music annoying at best. Multi-talented, yeah. Can he play guitar? Sure, but so can a lot of people. More often than not he's seen wearing the guitar like a piece of jewelery. Someone mentioned his use of falsetto, which is incredibly irritating. Now I have that awful song "Kiss" in my head. Make it stop! Remember "Batdance"? Uhhhhggg, horrible! I remember some good songs too, but nothing terribly exciting. Purple Rain? What a stupid movie, and the title track is pure dreck of a ballad. Talented but overrated.

As to Chuck Berry, I'm not much a fan of 50's rock, but definitely give Chuck his due as an inovator.

Hendrix? Supreme talent, and I love most of the Experience material. Band of Gypsies is not my thing. I do think people exaggerate his greatness a bit, but he does deserve accolades.

Well, I was in total agreement with you until the Hendrix part.

arabicadabra
01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Doug's side project Pinnick Gales Pridgen is amazing.
And then, there's Orange Sky - the neoclassical metal Jamaican band managed by Phil Ehart and Jeff Glixman (Kansas drummer and producer) with the sickest baddest drummer you ever done heard. Karl and I saw them open for Kansas and could NOT believe our ears...

Yanks2014
01-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Well, I was in total agreement with you until the Hendrix part.

Well I do think he made some great music, and was easily the most influential guitarist of all-time. But I think over the past few decades, guitarists have taken the instrument to places he never dreamed of, and do things that I bet he couldn't have done. But he died young and we will never know what he was truly capable of. Now did anyone do more to advance the playing of the instrument? Nope.

Yanks2014
01-09-2014, 09:09 PM

I've been meaning to check that out. I'm not a fan of Doug's solo work -bout Poundhound and played it once, and heard a couple other things of his. But I hear great things about this project.

ronmac
01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Well I do think he made some great music, and was easily the most influential guitarist of all-time. But I think over the past few decades, guitarists have taken the instrument to places he never dreamed of, and do things that I bet he couldn't have done. But he died young and we will never know what he was truly capable of. Now did anyone do more to advance the playing of the instrument? Nope.

So, you're suggesting that gimmicks that followed mitigates Jimi's "exaggerated greatness"? Greatness is not measured by pyrotechnics and trickery. I'd love to hear some of your examples.

Big Ears
01-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Jimi Hendrix is the first and best. His feel and fluidity is unsurpassable.

JKL2000
01-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Justin Timberlake

JKL2000
01-16-2014, 06:32 PM
MC Glass Hammer

klothos
01-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Jimi Hendrix is the first and best. His feel and fluidity is unsurpassable.

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/images/smilies/headscratch2.gif

<------wonders what ethnicity Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc are?

Gerardo
01-17-2014, 12:30 PM
And then, there's Orange Sky - the neoclassical metal Jamaican band managed by Phil Ehart and Jeff Glixman (Kansas drummer and producer) with the sickest baddest drummer you ever done heard. Karl and I saw them open for Kansas and could NOT believe our ears...

I dig Orange Sky a lot. Great band! To clarify, they are from Trinidad and Tobago, not Jamaica.

GuitarGeek
01-17-2014, 02:27 PM

More to the point, there'd have never been a Jimi (or a Prince or a Funkadelic, etc) without Chuck Berry or Richard Penniman. Chuck was an undisputed game changer, the guy who put the electric guitar out front in rock and roll and made it the (mostly) undisputed lead instrument of the genre. Chuck made it possible for Clapton, Page, Beck, Townshend, Van Halen, Malmsteen, Vai, etc to be famous for what they do, as opposed to being the guys who stood behind the cute singer and playing an 8 or 12 bar solo in the middle of the song. And who had cool intros on their songs before Chuck?!

And as Little Richard himself once put it, "Prince and Madonna got their thing from Jimi, and he got it from me, because he was my guitar player". It sounds like a boast, but it's pretty much true, though I would reckon that T-Bone Walker and Screamin' Jay Hawkwins were also part of the family tree, in terms of showmanship.

ronmac
01-17-2014, 02:55 PM
And as Little Richard himself once put it, "Prince and Madonna got their thing from Jimi, and he got it from me, because he was my guitar player". It sounds like a boast, but it's pretty much true, though I would reckon that T-Bone Walker and Screamin' Jay Hawkwins were also part of the family tree, in terms of showmanship.

Little Richard took credit for pretty much everything. I understand that he didn't like that Jimi took attention away from him. I don't think the relationship lasted very long.

GuitarGeek
01-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Little Richard took credit for pretty much everything. I understand that he didn't like that Jimi took attention away from him. I don't think the relationship lasted very long.

No it didn't. Jimi was only in Little Richard's band for something like 9 months, and yeah, I recall reading he got fired for upstaging the boss. Then again, given the number of people he backed up on the chitlin' circuit, I imagine that was a recurring thing for him.

And as I said, Little Richard isn't completely wrong when he puts himself in that lineage.

JIF
01-17-2014, 04:12 PM

<------wonders what ethnicity Chuck Berry, Little Richard, etc are?Those were when Elvis was king. When Jimi came around, rock was a different game. So, Jimi probably could probably be the first and the best. He was the first black guy to play psychedelic rock and hard rock. As Neil Young once said "Hendrix was in a completely different building". I hope I got the quote right.

ronmac
01-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Those were when Elvis was king. When Jimi came around, rock was a different game. So, Jimi probably could probably be the first and the best. He was the first black guy to play psychedelic rock and hard rock. As Neil Young once said "Hendrix was a completely different level". I hope I got the quote right.

The Chambers Brothers preceded Jimi. And, technically, Jimi wasn't a group.

Then there's Ike & Tina, who also preceded Jimi, although some would argue they weren't rock. Then again, some might argue that Jimi wasn't rock. Yet, Ike and Jimi were certainly doing blues and soul.

JIF
01-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Then again, some might argue that Jimi wasn't rock.Jimi is rock. Btw, Chuck Berry and Little Richard aren't rock groups, but they were mentioned.

Big Ears
01-17-2014, 05:37 PM

By first and best, I meant in the style of what Jimi himself called 'freaky blues' and Eric Clapton described as 'blues in a modern context'. Little Richard was an influential singer, but not a guitarist to my knowledge. Chuck Berry is regarded as one of the first lead guitarists in a genre dominated by saxophone, but there is a conceptual leap between him and Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and those that followed.

ronmac
01-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Jimi is rock. Btw, Chuck Berry and Little Richard aren't rock groups, but they were mentioned.

Lighten up. I am a HUGE Hendrix fan, so I don't need any lessons. I stated that SOME MIGHT ARGUE...

JIF
01-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Lighten up. I am a HUGE Hendrix fan, so I don't need any lessons. I stated that SOME MIGHT ARGUE...Relax, we're just having a discussion. When you said that "some might argue" that Jimi isn't rock, who would those people be? I have never heard anyone say that Jimi isn't rock.

ronmac
01-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Relax, we're just having a discussion. When you said that "some might argue" that Jimi isn't rock, who would those people be? I have never heard anyone say that Jimi isn't rock.

Look people here state that he's over-rated. So, really, some might argue other points. Let's move on, okay?

GuitarGeek
01-18-2014, 01:47 AM
The Chambers Brothers preceded Jimi. And, technically, Jimi wasn't a group.

Then there's Ike & Tina, who also preceded Jimi, although some would argue they weren't rock. Then again, some might argue that Jimi wasn't rock. Yet, Ike and Jimi were certainly doing blues and soul.

Weren't The Chambers Brothers mainly an R&B group, though, with Time Has Come Today being their one foray into rock?

As for Ike and Tina, as a duo they were more R&B, I think, but I would count the instrumental stuff Ike did as early rock n roll. There's a great CD called Ike's Instrumentals that features an entire LP (originally released as "Ike And Tina Turner's Dance Party", though Tina doesn't actually appear on the album at all) plus a gaggle of singles, which I think are happening things. And don't forget Rocket 88 is cited by some cognoscenti as the first rock n roll record.

Staun
01-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Mandrill?

Staun
01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
Mandrill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayhpzgUrPQMMy bad, I mentioned them to. I had Composite Truth at one time and loved it. Thanks SL.

profusion
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Jimi was underrated, if anything. He mostly became known for his guitar playing, but his songwriting was strikingly original, not to mention his use of sound. I mean, where did something like "Purple Haze" come from? There certainly wasn't anything like that floating around the chitlin' circuit or in the Swinging London scene before Jimi arrived.

Everyone has influences, but Jimi went further beyond his influences than any other rock act I can think of, except maybe the Beatles.

wideopenears
01-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Gotta agree....and if anyone's listened to his pre-"career" recordings, it's even more astonishing--it was like Warp Factor Seven or something, in the space of a very short time.

ronmac
01-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Jimi was underrated, if anything. He mostly became known for his guitar playing, but his songwriting was strikingly original, not to mention his use of sound. I mean, where did something like "Purple Haze" come from? There certainly wasn't anything like that floating around the chitlin' circuit or in the Swinging London scene before Jimi arrived.

Everyone has influences, but Jimi went further beyond his influences than any other rock act I can think of, except maybe the Beatles.

QFT

Gotta agree....and if anyone's listened to his pre-"career" recordings, it's even more astonishing--it was like Warp Factor Seven or something, in the space of a very short time.

QFT

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
01-23-2014, 05:28 PM
There are actually tons of black artists who Rock. In reality, as you well know, African Americans invented Rock music and more importantly they never stopped playing that music they invented. What happened was that racist white radio programmers would not play the music of African Americans and then revised the term "Rock and Roll" to include only white artists like Elvis. African American artists were forced to have their own stations where their Rock music was now re-labeled "Rhythm and Blues". They had no choice but to embrace this... and so the schism between "white Rock" and "black Rock". African American artists now have to have insane amounts of electric Guitar and mechanize their groove in order to be called Rock now... sad really.

There is not one single thing about what is dubbed "R&B" that isn't inherently tied to the Rock music invented by the African American artists of the 1950s.

Sturgeon's Lawyer
01-23-2014, 07:42 PM
^^^ On the mark.

profusion
01-23-2014, 08:49 PM
It's not far-fetched to say that the music industry is the the last bastion of overt segregation in the USA. Discrimination obviously exists in other walks of life, but the music industry does so openly.

There was a brief moment in the late '60s and early '70s when it looked like that might change, but the radio industry killed off any hope of that by the mid '70s.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
01-23-2014, 11:55 PM
It's not far-fetched to say that the music industry is the the last bastion of overt segregation in the USA. Discrimination obviously exists in other walks of life, but the music industry does so openly.

There was a brief moment in the late '60s and early '70s when it looked like that might change, but the radio industry killed off any hope of that by the mid '70s.QFT spot on

JKL2000
01-24-2014, 02:38 PM
There are actually tons of black artists who Rock. In reality, as you well know, African Americans invented Rock music and more importantly they never stopped playing that music they invented. What happened was that racist white radio programmers would not play the music of African Americans and then revised the term "Rock and Roll" to include only white artists like Elvis. African American artists were forced to have their own stations where their Rock music was now re-labeled "Rhythm and Blues". They had no choice but to embrace this... and so the schism between "white Rock" and "black Rock". African American artists now have to have insane amounts of electric Guitar and mechanize their groove in order to be called Rock now... sad really.

There is not one single thing about what is dubbed "R&B" that isn't inherently tied to the Rock music invented by the African American artists of the 1950s.

I guess I can't argue with this, but what happened to funk? Why wasn't it able to evolve into something else or continue to exist in some way? I can see someone saying it evolved into rap or something like that, but to my mind all those cool, black funk bands with the interesting costumes and all just kind of fizzled out as far as appearance in mainstream media. I wish something like that was the dominant black music now instead of rap.

Big Ears
01-24-2014, 02:50 PM
I thought rhythm and blues was a speeded-up version of the slow blues.

JJ88
01-24-2014, 02:51 PM
What happened was disco. There are disco records I quite like but most of it is, for me, a definite step backwards- lyrically and musically. For me, a lot (though certainly not all) of it is a 'safe' form of music. I'm certainly unaware of a disco equivalent of 'What's Going On', 'Ball Of Confusion', 'Maggot Brain' etc.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
01-24-2014, 02:57 PM
I guess I can't argue with this, but what happened to funk? Why wasn't it able to evolve into something else or continue to exist in some way? I can see someone saying it evolved into rap or something like that, but to my mind all those cool, black funk bands with the interesting costumes and all just kind of fizzled out as far as appearance in mainstream media. I wish something like that was the dominant black music now instead of rap.you and me both bro!

but Funk *is* still alive and well... a lot like Prog is now, only in a small community of devotees, not like in the 70s. Prog and Funk went the way of the Dino, with only the Shark and the Turtle left to carry on the link ;)

klothos
01-24-2014, 03:21 PM
you and me both bro!

but Funk *is* still alive and well... a lot like Prog is now, only in a small community of devotees, not like in the 70s. Prog and Funk went the way of the Dino, with only the Shark and the Turtle left to carry on the link ;)

Funk is actually doing better...There are many funk-specific showbands doing extremely well in the Corporate Arena and Wedding band arena. Its not uncommon to see 10-Piece+ hi-dollar funk cover bands that mix in a little disco (some do original material) bringing in the big buck$ from these events. 70s funk, for the most part, is "Party" music so its only natural that it would......I have yet to see one Prog Corporate Arena band (although that would be an interesting idea)

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
01-24-2014, 04:07 PM
I was speaking specifically about artists who are creating Funk music albums

Vic2012
01-25-2014, 04:27 PM
what happened to funk?

What happened was disco

I mostly agree with this. Then hip-hop just took over.

klothos
01-26-2014, 01:25 AM
What happened to funk?

What happened was disco

I mostly agree with this. Then hip-hop just took over.

Besides hip-hop appearing, what happened was Reagonomics.....One of the first things Ronald Reagan started doing as president was pull the budgets for the arts in schools. So, now, poor youngsters in school bands that used to have instruments supplied to them by the school system no longer had that revenue....So, how is a kid (particularly poor kids) in the early 80s supposed to make music? The answer: a turntable and a microphone....Reagonomics didnt start hip-hop but it certainly attributed to its explosion as a musical form, and it also attributed in minimizing the future of funk bands. YMMV.

Rune Blackwings
01-26-2014, 01:49 AM
No love for War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4yhp9L6Ok

Vic2012
01-26-2014, 08:23 AM
what happened was Reagonomics.....

Uhhhh.... I think MCing, turntabling, rapping and all that started long before Reagan. I'm not a hip-hop historian but I'm sure I've read or seen documentaries about the history of rap music. It started in the 70s in NYC. I really don't think politics had anything to do with its development. But I agree that Rap and Disco (as well as "new wave") influenced (or killed) funk. In the 80s funk became synthesized. Now the "rhythm section" was basically a computer.

klothos
01-26-2014, 09:50 AM
Uhhhh.... I think MCing, turntabling, rapping and all that started long before Reagan. I'm not a hip-hop historian but I'm sure I've read or seen documentaries about the history of rap music. It started in the 70s in NYC. I really don't think politics had anything to do with its development. But I agree that Rap and Disco (as well as "new wave") influenced (or killed) funk. In the 80s funk became synthesized. Now the "rhythm section" was basically a computer.

Please read my post again: I didnt say it started it....what I said was that it greatly contributed to its monstrous growth and success while , simultaneously, attributed to funk bands disappearance:

....Reagonomics didnt start hip-hop but it certainly attributed to its explosion as a musical form, and it also attributed in minimizing the future of funk bands. YMMV.

Vic2012
01-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Please read my post again: I didnt say it started it....what I said was that it greatly contributed to its monstrous growth and success while , simultaneously, attributed to funk bands disappearance:

Okay, point made, but I just don't think Reaganomics contributed to it. That's all. If that was the case then what you're saying is that Reaganomics contributed to changes in all forms of pop music, not just rap. Just my opinion. You might be right for all I know, I just don't see it that way.

GuitarGeek
01-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Talking about disco, for a long time I really hated the genre. There's still stuff I don't like (cough cough Village People), but lately I've been enjoying Chic, Donna Summer, and a few others associated with the genre. And honestly, how can you not dig I Feel Love. I read once that she and Giorgio beat Kraftwerk at their own game with that track.

SteveSly
01-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Cory Glover and Vernon Reid from Living Colour were on That Metal Show last night. They are working on a new album that they hope to have out later in the year.

Steve Sly

Vic2012
01-26-2014, 02:53 PM
No love for War?

Lotsa love here. At one time I had 4-5 of their albums, back in the day. Right now I only have "The World Is A Ghetto" which is probably their best album.

klothos
01-26-2014, 06:29 PM
You might be right for all I know, I just don't see it that way.

Im totally cool with that .......and, yeah, War is killer! I always wondered why cover bands always did "Lowrider" all the time when "Cisco Kid" is a waaaay cooler tune

Modry Effekt
01-26-2014, 06:33 PM
No love for War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4yhp9L6Ok

I love you Jen :)

Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine

http://youtu.be/3i0DMbCKnAg

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
01-26-2014, 08:53 PM
No love for War?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro4yhp9L6Okabsolutely LOVE War! but then again, they did a bunch of Prog style music not just plain old Rock

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
01-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Cory Glover and Vernon Reid from Living Colour were on That Metal Show last night. They are working on a new album that they hope to have out later in the year.

Steve SlyTheir last 2 were really intense. I especially like Collideoscope but The Chair in the Door is real good too. No Prog style stuff here, just copious amounts of CRUNCH

JIF
01-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Their last 2 were really intense. I especially like Collideoscope but The Chair in the Door is real good too. No Prog style stuff here, just copious amounts of CRUNCHSpeaking of Living Colour and TMS, I just watched last night's episode online. On it, Vernon and Cory said that the band is currently recording another CD.

Progbear
01-31-2014, 09:28 PM
She’s not a band, but Mary B. Thompson, lead singer of the German band Revolver, deserves a mention. She had a great voice, and it’s a shame she didn’t do much after this:

http://youtu.be/Mh97dgvz6dY

highaltitude
01-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Kenwood Dennard
From time to time, I remind their playing when Brand X - Livestock Live album, it is a kind of nostalgic feeling.

Dave (in MA)
01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Besides hip-hop appearing, what happened was Reagonomics.....One of the first things Ronald Reagan started doing as president was pull the budgets for the arts in schools. So, now, poor youngsters in school bands that used to have instruments supplied to them by the school system no longer had that revenueCite?
Here's a comparison of NEA funding in the Carter and Reagan administrations

1977 $ 99,872,000
1978 $ 123,850,000
1979 $ 149,585,000
1980 $ 154,610,000
1981 $ 158,795,000
1982 $ 143,456,000
1983 $ 143,875,000
1984 $ 162,223,000
1985 $ 163,660,000
1986 $ 158,822,240
1987 $ 165,281,000
1988 $ 167,731,000
A President doesn't have the authority to simply use his PEN and PHONE to just unilaterally do something like that.

klothos
02-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Cite?
Here's a comparison of NEA funding in the Carter and Reagan administrations

1977 $ 99,872,000
1978 $ 123,850,000
1979 $ 149,585,000
1980 $ 154,610,000
1981 $ 158,795,000
1982 $ 143,456,000
1983 $ 143,875,000
1984 $ 162,223,000
1985 $ 163,660,000
1986 $ 158,822,240
1987 $ 165,281,000
1988 $ 167,731,000
A President doesn't have the authority to simply use his PEN and PHONE to just unilaterally do something like that.

You dont have to give me a "lesson" on how it works: I know any budget plan has to be passed but it was Reagan that introduced the policy (let me be clear: for the most part, I liked Reagan overall)....and the N.E. for the Arts money you posted is just figures: it doesnt explain how the money was divided -- the budgets to public schools out of those increasing figures was cut. Many states retaliated by setting up State Lotteries to fund schools -- like anything else that involves large sums of money being accumulated, its a mystery why the lotteries were successful but schools still suffered

Rune Blackwings
02-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I love you Jen :)

Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine

http://youtu.be/3i0DMbCKnAg

LOVE "Spill the Wine"! I am not much on "African" music added into stuff (mainly because most "African" means it sounds like Paul Simon's Graceland or Peter Gabriel's popular stuff and partly, because I am partial to Asian and Middle Eastern elements, such as in the Psychic TV version of "Set the Controls" or in Ozric Tentacles and Hawkwind's music. yes, I have Tibetan Chod music on my iPod), but I love everything I have heard thus far from War. I dig that flute and organ in "Spill the Wine" a lot.

Are those Orange amps?

Vic2012
02-02-2014, 07:14 AM
but I love everything I have heard thus far from War. I dig that flute and organ in "Spill the Wine" a lot.

Never thought you'd like WAR. I was really into them in the early 70s. I didn't get into WAR until I heard "Slipping Into Darkness" from, I think it was their first album without Eric Burdon. I'd heard "Spill The Wine" when it was a big hit. I didn't know that Eric Burdon & WAR was the same band for a few years, then I discovered that EB & WAR had a couple of albums out before WAR (without Eric) hit the big time. What a great band back then. Lee Oskar on harmonica was unique.

ronmac
02-02-2014, 09:44 AM
^^ I always thought that flute player looked like Hendrix. ^^

Rarebird
02-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Would Skunk Anansi be considered a black rock group?

Rune Blackwings
02-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Never thought you'd like WAR. I was really into them in the early 70s. I didn't get into WAR until I heard "Slipping Into Darkness" from, I think it was their first album without Eric Burdon. I'd heard "Spill The Wine" when it was a big hit. I didn't know that Eric Burdon & WAR was the same band for a few years, then I discovered that EB & WAR had a couple of albums out before WAR (without Eric) hit the big time. What a great band back then. Lee Oskar on harmonica was unique.

There's lots of things people are shocked to hear I like. ;) I think I like them because there is no confusion about their music-WAR has their own thing going on. And face it, you can't be considered a geek while listening to WAR. They are one of those bands that are cool no matter who listens to them.