PDA

View Full Version : Ending Anonymity?

JKL2000
01-16-2018, 02:39 PM
Hey moderators, have you by any chance thought of somehow no longer letting people remain anonymous on PE? Steve F. made a good point when he just pointed out that you know who is anonymous and gives a lot of people a hard time. I and others have also recently here had a hard time with a member who joined in November, has remained anonymous, yet apparently was a member previously under a different name. While you can cite all kinds of things you guys have had to police over the years - some political posts, etc. - IMO it's the anonymous douchebags that really lower the quality of life here.

I don't know how you'd do it and maintain some of peoples' privacy - I'm thinking somehow in the signup process they have to supply you via email with a real name and address, or at least a real name that somehow needs to be verified. I really don't know. I'm sure it's not something you actually want in the PE database somewhere. And even though you guys know who I am, I'm willing to supply my name in some official way.

I would actually LOVE to know who many of the people on PE are just because some of them I think I know from ProgDay, etc. but don't know if I know them. It would great to somehow be able to identify ourselves, but again, privacy issues. I also would love to know where everyone lives, roughly.

Just giving a bit of a wishlist, but the main thing is that anonymous trolls do suck. And I feel like we're all being played for suckers with the people who are banned, then join under a different name. F that! It's too easy to join PE. There's a Facebook group for parents in my zipcode, and after a while they realized there were a few people who had joined who weren't parents or didn't live in our zip code, so they purged the ranks, started a new group, and made people provide some info before they were admitted.

Thanks for reading!

Jed

Steve F.
01-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Jed,

A very good post and point. I doubt they'll do it, but I am with you 1000% on this.

Taking away anonymity will make this place (and *any* place on the internet) a much better place.

markwoll
01-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Anonymity can exist even when a 'real name' has been proffered.
Some folks will act like asses, not caring that people know their name.
Others may feel that a lack of Anonymity would have a 'chilling effect' on their ability to comment in an environment that can be very opinionated ( see above ).
I favor Real Names, even though it may be counter to the ''internet culture".
Remember that there pages are indexed by google and your comments are quickly available to anyone searching.

Sean
01-16-2018, 02:59 PM
I'm all for it if there's a way to do here with this current platform.

I discuss music daily on my Facebook page and knowing everyone's real name takes it to a whole new level of accountability. And honestly, the people I discuss it with there are not there to play games and hide behind anything so that isn't a concern there on my page. Though in band related groups at FB the same BS goes on there that does here, but much worse. Even with people not hiding behind a made up screen name. If they like to show their asses they don't hold back even with their name on everything they do. I have seen the worst in humanity come out over there in the Yes related groups. So I don't know if this is the big fix you hope for.

But, even at FB there's no way to REALLY make you tell them you REALLY are. So I don't see how that could 100% happen here either, even if the pieces were in place to show your real name and such instead of a screen name.

01-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Who would believe me if I went by John White as my name on here? C'mon!

JKL2000
01-16-2018, 03:37 PM
It's true that on FB people are more outrageous than they are here. What would possibly get to the problem even more is if somehow when people were banned they weren't able to join again, and once more I don't know how/if that could be done. But the mods always say they know who a person is, and if they're going by IP address maybe that's a possible way. But people can reset their IP, can't they? Maybe I don't know who (insert anonymous troll's name here) is, but if they are stuck with the same name for as long as they're on PE, and can't rejoin under a different name, then at least I know which anonymous troll they are.

Poisoned Youth
01-16-2018, 03:44 PM
I'm all for it if there's a way to do here with this current platform.

I discuss music daily on my Facebook page and knowing everyone's real name takes it to a whole new level of accountability. And honestly, the people I discuss it with there are not there to play games and hide behind anything so that isn't a concern there on my page. Though in band related groups at FB the same BS goes on there that does here, but much worse. Even with people not hiding behind a made up screen name. If they like to show their asses they don't hold back even with their name on everything they do. I have seen the worst in humanity come out over there in the Yes related groups. So I don't know if this is the big fix you hope for.

But, even at FB there's no way to REALLY make you tell them you REALLY are. So I don't see how that could 100% happen here either, even if the pieces were in place to show your real name and such instead of a screen name.

Thank you for saving me some time.

Facebook is the quintessential example that squashes the notion that anonymity is the issue. Facebook is absolutely filled with some of the most vitriolic, hateful dreck you would ever want to read. And even though one could sign up on Facebook using an alias, the proof is that most people don't.

It's not unlike the myth that people act civil when the cameras are on.

And on PE, there are many here who SPECIFICALLY prefer to not use their real names and they are nice people. Their wishes have to be taken into account as well.

Gruno
01-16-2018, 03:52 PM
I use my real-life business/nickname all over the net. People here know who I am, but I do not advertise it or comment on it much. I had a stalker back in the early 00s and do NOT want my real name used online in certain sites as to lessen the trail. Having said that, some here on PE have purposely used my real name when replying in threads as to cast a thorn in my side in whatever post of mine they did not approve. Those people are just idiots, as they already knew of the prior stalker incident. If I had to use my real name here as a registered username, I would be in 100% read-only mode.

I am not in favor of banned users returning. People do change, but if they have changed so much for the good and PE ok's them to come back after their banning, I feel they should HAVE to use their previous PE username as part of the accountability of being let back into the PE board.

JKL2000
01-16-2018, 03:53 PM
And on PE, there are many here who SPECIFICALLY prefer to not use their real names and they are nice people. Their wishes have to be taken into account as well.

As I said though, perhaps there's a way people can submit their names when registering, but not have the names displayed for all to see. Maybe the names would need to be stored in a separate database from user names and email addresses for security.

Or there's my other thought, that maybe people can somehow be prevented from registering under a different name if they get banned. Maybe a required membership fee would prevent that?

Just trying to think outside the box.

"What's a box?"

aith01
01-16-2018, 03:57 PM
I am not in favor of banned users returning. People do change, but if they have changed so much for the good and PE ok's them to come back after their banning, I feel they should HAVE to use their previous PE username as part of the accountability of being let back into the PE board.

This makes sense. :up

battema
01-16-2018, 04:18 PM
I personally am ok if anonymous user names got nixed.

But I also understand the concerns that Gruno raises and I suspect that might "out" a few bigger names and affect their enjoyment/usage of the site.

Maybe it is just me but I have noticed a slight uptick in the number of "usual suspects" receiving temporary/permanent bans. And I suspect a few more may get banned in due time. That has helped a considerable amount IMHO.

rcarlberg
01-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Just so long as GENUINE assholes -- like myself -- don't get kicked off? :)

01-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Just so long as GENUINE assholes -- like myself -- don't get kicked off? :)

The insincerity is what gets them every time.

aith01
01-16-2018, 04:35 PM
:rofl

rcarlberg, I think most people here like you -- myself included!

Dave (in MA)
01-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Maybe a temporary level of banning that falls short of a permanent ban, but one that requires a PayPal'ed fine for reinstatement.

Sean
01-16-2018, 05:05 PM
I like the way you think. :D

progeezer
01-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Is it time for a Sally Field quote?;)

battema
01-16-2018, 05:27 PM

I will take any of these quotes from her :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0swXMgM284o

Dave (in MA)
01-16-2018, 05:27 PM

Ask your doctor if Boniva is right for you.

JKL2000
01-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Maybe a temporary level of banning that falls short of a permanent ban, but one that requires a PayPal'ed fine for reinstatement.

And administers a powerful electric shock.

Zeuhlmate
01-16-2018, 06:12 PM
I you want to be anonymous you can do so easily.

make an email like petermorrisson@gmail.com and post here as peter morrisson, nobody can blow that cover whihtout actually hacking you.

JKL2000
01-16-2018, 08:00 PM
I you want to be anonymous you can do so easily.

make an email like petermorrisson@gmail.com and post here as peter morrisson, nobody can blow that cover whihtout actually hacking you.

The point here is that we're discussing PE getting more information than just an email address. Obviously currently anyone can do what you suggest, and I think a lot of people have. But I'm sure this is something that'll never happen.

One thing I'd be curious to know is do registrations go through automatically, or do the mods vet them in any way first. Not they have much in the way of tools to do any vetting, I'm guessing.

Yodelgoat
01-16-2018, 09:50 PM
If I went by my real name... The chicks wouldn't dig me anymore.

JKL2000
01-16-2018, 10:02 PM
If I went by my real name... The chicks wouldn't dig me anymore.

I have to say, Yodelgoat is one of the best names on here!

Yodelgoat
01-16-2018, 11:14 PM
This may shock you, but It's made up. |)

Gruno
01-18-2018, 08:27 AM
It would be interesting to hear the thoughts on this topic from those who have returned after being banned. I'm referring to those users that are definitely known to have been previously banned. Then again, I suppose that is why JKL2000 started this thread -- because they rather hide.

progeezer
01-18-2018, 09:44 AM
^^^^

Despite their best efforts, many of whom you speak make it quite easy to discern their writing style and ideology and give themselves away (which (props to U2) leads me to the thought that PE would continue just fine "With Or Without You").

Jerjo
01-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Sadly, this will always be the case here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyh23l1mx4

Yodelgoat
01-18-2018, 06:49 PM
^^^ That is Hysterical!... (Note to self...)Time to break out LOTR again.

Gizmotron
01-19-2018, 03:28 PM
Interesting stuff. There is no easy answer.

My personal approach when I post on fora is to pretend I am in the same room with the people involved. I never post anything I wouldn't say in person.
My mom raised me to be nice and to treat people the way I'd like to be treated.

If I ever tick off anyone here, I hope they will immediately tell me. And I will apologize. :)

I like the Troll clip but recently I was thinking about the use of the word. The way I see it, the term came about because of the VERB "to troll," not the noun (" a troll"). When one trolls from a boat, the baitfish on the end of the hook is irresistible to game fish like tuna and marlin...they cannot resist taking the bait and things go very wrong for the big fish. An internet "troll" does the same thing, that is, they put out irresistible bait such as "Phil Collins couldn't even play drums well" even though they don't really feel that way. Then they sit back and laugh when someone freaks out and spends an hour crafting a 1000 word reply. But a "real" troll doesn't go out looking to screw with people. He stays under his bridge and only bothers the hapless person to wander by and try to cross the bridge. So these nasties on the web should really should be called "Internet Fisherman" or something like that but I guess that doesn't quite sound cool and witty. So TROLL it is! I guess...

I am sure that this is the first time the Internet got something wrong. ;)

rcarlberg
01-19-2018, 06:24 PM
"Phil Collins couldn't even play drums well" BULLSHIT. He was a GREAT drummer! You suck!

Yodelgoat
01-19-2018, 07:35 PM
I have never been banned, but I do tend to live on the edge. Even though I'm not really the cause of a closed thread, I do get sucked into the sh*t storms - I have, in the past been warned. I think the powers that be see me as an agitator. Its mostly because I love buttons. I see one, I push. Recognizing this as one of my own weaknesses, I have permanently banned myself from all missile silo's. Foreign and domestic.

As a drummer who has had to cover different drummers on occasion(notice I did not say "good" drummer!) Phil Collins is, IMO a very very fine drummer. Much of what he does is subtle, until you try it and you realize its not just something he contrives, but it turns out is carefully constructed. Like the Kick pattern in Land of Confusion 2,4,1,3 in a 4/4 measure. Its mesmerizing and quite difficult to do without a fair amount of practice. It takes a certain musical sensitivity to put details into ones parts that often go unnoticed and unappreciated.

Chain
01-19-2018, 08:20 PM
Its mostly because I love buttons. I see one, I push. Recognizing this as one of my own weaknesses, I have permanently banned myself from all missile silo's. Foreign and domestic.

Just put a childproof lock on it and you will be OK ;)

Mister Triscuits
01-25-2018, 01:23 AM
OK, from now on I will go by my real name on PE: Mister Wheat Thins.

Lino
01-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Lino is a lot easier to type than my real name, Bartholomew.

JKL2000
01-25-2018, 09:53 AM
OK, from now on I will go by my real name on PE: Mister Wheat Thins.

Damn, both are good crackers. Can't decide which is better.

Dave (in MA)
01-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Damn, both are good crackers. Can't decide which is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDyvP2MxQEo

Shadowfax
01-25-2018, 10:36 AM
I have never been banned, but I do tend to live on the edge. Even though I'm not really the cause of a closed thread, I do get sucked into the sh*t storms - I have, in the past been warned. I think the powers that be see me as an agitator. Its mostly because I love buttons. I see one, I push. Recognizing this as one of my own weaknesses, I have permanently banned myself from all missile silo's. Foreign and domestic.

As a drummer who has had to cover different drummers on occasion(notice I did not say "good" drummer!) Phil Collins is, IMO a very very fine drummer. Much of what he does is subtle, until you try it and you realize its not just something he contrives, but it turns out is carefully constructed. Like the Kick pattern in Land of Confusion 2,4,1,3 in a 4/4 measure. Its mesmerizing and quite difficult to do without a fair amount of practice. It takes a certain musical sensitivity to put details into ones parts that often go unnoticed and unappreciated.

His drumming on early Brand X is stellar and most people would not believe it's the same drummer as Genesis. Watching him live back in the day was such a treat.

Zeuhlmate
01-25-2018, 11:52 AM
His drumming on early Brand X is stellar and most people would not believe it's the same drummer as Genesis. Watching him live back in the day was such a treat.

From Trespass to Nursery Cryme, it made a big improvement that Collins joined the band.

Poisoned Youth
01-25-2018, 11:56 AM
So if there's nothing to add on this thread and it's just devolved into a stream of consciousness, let me know (or my anonymous alias) and I'll close it.

Thanks.

Yodelgoat
01-25-2018, 10:43 PM
Are you saying that threads are supposed to have a purpose??? I thought this whole site was just a stream of consciousness... Not mine exclusively perhaps, but a whole concatenation of diabolical rascalities, with murderous and nefarious impositions trying to keep us all talking endlessly about things we really have no business discussing.

I think we should have no identities whatsoever, we just get a number assigned when we join and we are only known as that number... Like the prison system. Wouldnt that be a hoot? Of course the number should be in descending sequence, so that newcomers wouldn't feel so bad.

I ask you, Why close a thread that stays as on topic as this one?