PDA

View Full Version : JUST RE-UPPED MY PE DONATION, HAVE YOU?

beano
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
:upJust renewed my PE donation...HAVE YOU????
While reading posts, I notice ALOT of folks post often, but have not made a financial contribution to PE...?????....I'm in a ornery mood today so I hope this raises some eyebrows...

llanwydd
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
While reading posts, I notice ALOT of folks post often, but have not made a financial contribution to PE...?????....I'm in a ornery mood today so I hope this raises some eyebrows...

Here's a new PE Donation slogan: "I've upped my donation so up yours".

mozo-pg
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
I think this is a valuable post. Why should members who always donate subsidize those who don't? Now, let me quality, if you're on a fixed income, unemployed, or have no cash at your fingertips, that's perfectly understandable.

3LockBox
02-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Its none of your business

JKL2000
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM

I don't see a star under YOUR name.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ie6i8mOzNwA/UJ-u1LxPr5I/AAAAAAAAAiY/V9OccQd2_30/s1600/6117208.gif

Scott Bails
02-07-2013, 07:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hR5YNqE3K8

Progatron
02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I donated again last month and will happily do so in the near AND distant future. This is a musical oasis for me - to actually get to ramble on and on about prog to people who not only will listen but understand and agree with me (or disagree with me)? Fantastic. I love this place. I can't give thousands of dollars but I can certainly do my part. Cheers!

Hunnibee
02-07-2013, 08:16 PM
As soon as I'm working, I will help to bankroll this place again. :D

Here's a new PE Donation slogan: "I've upped my donation so up yours".

Now, that's the spirit of Progressive Ears! ;)

NogbadTheBad
02-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I donated again last month and will happily do so in the near AND distant future. This is a musical oasis for me - to actually get to ramble on and on about prog to people who not only will listen but understand and agree with me (or disagree with me)? Fantastic. I love this place. I can't give thousands of dollars but I can certainly do my part. Cheers!I feel exactly the same way, I just re-upped my donation. I have absolutely no problem with people in different situations not being able to donate. Pretty much everyone here adds to the vibrancy of the place. It's the first place I log onto in the morning and last place I check at night.

JKL2000
02-08-2013, 01:10 AM

Ok, it's there now, but it wasn't there when the post first appeared. Unusual for there not to have been one unless it had been a LONG time since your previous donation.

Progmatic
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Sorry I hate threads like this...you may have good intent but the delivery sucks...

progman1975
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
So, Mr. Big Shot, How much have u donated. When was the last time u donated...This isn't facebook or fox news, I come here to get away from people like you...

Vic2012
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Ive asked this question on old PE several times and never got an answer. Is Paypal the only option for donating?

davis
02-08-2013, 10:37 AM
So, Mr. Big Shot, How much have u donated. When was the last time u donated...This isn't facebook or fox news, I come here to get away from people like you...

people donate $ to fb and fox news? wow, that's odd. I'd love to be able to put a PE donation on the list of monthly bills my wife pays... actually, I'll ask her about doing that. This song sums up my thoughts on things (caution-this is not prog ;)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJxbKJYz8A

zombywoof
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
I've never donated, because I'm an unemployed college student. When I DO get extra cash, I spend it wisely on music and then discuss it on here! However, when I get a steady job, I'll make a donation to PE.

Jefferson James
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
As far as I'm aware donating to help support the site is voluntary and is in no way a requirement to hang out here. I donate 'cause I'm able to but it's not something I'd feel comfortable dangling over everyone's heads as if it were some major philanthropic gesture ala the Arthur Vining Davis Foundation.

JKL2000
02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Ah, I know I gave Beano grief for being heavy handed, but what the heck - he was just trying to drum up support for PE - a worthy cause we can all agree. So I withdraw my comments. I don't really approve of members drumming up support this way ( I prefer the professional and courtious reminder we got from Duncan), but whatever - why should we argue over this? Maybe the mods want to make this a forbidden topic too. It's like passing the plate at church - it should probably be private. CTTOI, maybe the stars aren't a good idea. Whatever...

Scott Bails
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I think the stars are fine. But their existence makes threads like this overbearing.

When you donate, you get a star. You don't need to start a "look at me!" thread.

davis
02-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I have donated twice, but I don't think it was enough to get a star. I don't care about getting a star though, only about helping out - or the good feeling I get when I do donate. the OP came across to me like playful bullying or roughhousing. I stopped letting anyone push me around a long time ago. But if I may paraphrase from a Beatles song that just popped into my head, "I will donate, I will donate, Beano, just as soon as I am able."

ahhh, that felt good :D

ItalProgRules
02-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I think the stars are fine. But their existence makes threads like this overbearing.

When you donate, you get a star. You don't need to start a "look at me!" thread.

QFT. Not to mention an "I'm in an ornery mood" thread. Yeah, when you're in a bad mood, the absolute best thing to do is certainly to go on a website and piss off a bunch of people who have nothing to do with your ornery mood. Because being an internet tough guy makes one cool.

rapidfirerob
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I don't have the money at this time. Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

80s were ok
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
The last time I gave $25 to the Red Cross, I called my local Bucks County newspaper so they could write up a story on me. I felt really good to give.

Sean
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
For the record, no one is ever obligated to give. It's only a choice and if you can't afford it or chose not to that is totally cool. We love you all the same.

And if you have, THANK YOU! Donations like yours keep PE running and are much appreciated.

zombywoof
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
For the record, no one is ever obligated to give. It's only a choice and if you can't afford it or chose not to that is totally cool. We love you all the same.

Thanks, Sean.

Duncan Glenday
02-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Just to repeat Sean's sentiment - ALL donations are deeply and humbly appreciated. But if you can't do it, no problem - we 'get it'.

This system allows us to grant extra system functions to donors. We have decided not to use that capability. All users have equal access to all system functions.

Ok, it's there now, but it wasn't there when the post first appeared. Unusual for there not to have been one unless it had been a LONG time since your previous donation.

When you donate via the "Donate" button, the star appears immediately and automatically. If you donate directly through PayPal (because you're donating an amount other than $25, or because you want to use your credit card, then I have to allocate the star manually - which usually happens within a day.

Ive asked this question on old PE several times and never got an answer. Is Paypal the only option for donating?

Yes - and no. You can go to Paypal and use their service to donate directly with a credit card. I.e. PayPal will not be connected to your bank. It does require you to create an account though.

Alternatively if you PM us, we'll be happy to provide a mailing address for checks - which we will deposit into the account and we'll allocate the 'star'.

...maybe the stars aren't a good idea. Whatever...

The admins have had this discussion many times and there's no clear answer. We did, however, remove the blue / silver / gold star grading. Tiny donations and huge donations get a star. The end.

I have donated twice, but I don't think it was enough to get a star...

ANY person who had made a donation within the past year (on the old system or the new) should have a star. If your donation on the old system ran out within the last 2 months, you should have received a PM from "Admin". If anyone believes the star should be on their profile but is missing, PM me and I'll investigate. The carry-over from the old system was done manually and I may well have screwed some up.

Vic2012
02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Alternatively if you PM us, we'll be happy to provide a mailing address for checks - which we will deposit into the account and we'll allocate the 'star'.

Jeezuz finally, I got an answer. Okay, I don't do Paypal but I'll send you a PM. Thanks Dunc.

SteveSly
02-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I donate once a year. On the old site I used to get a notice when my year was up. Are you guys still doing that? I can't remember the last time I donated.

Steve Sly

beano
02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I honestly didn't mean to piss people off with my post...I received the notice that my donation "year" was expiring so I made my donation ..I am certainly not a "tough guy" behind my computer..I am actually sitting here in a lovely pink pajama set after killing my body shoveling what seemed to be a couple of tons of snow and barely made a dent!!!! I HATE SNOW!!!!! And I stole the "ornery" line from the Original "VACATION" film with Chevy Chase(when they are in Dodge City at the saloon and he's sassing the barkeep )...

Hunnibee
02-09-2013, 05:16 PM
You're okay in my book, Beano. There used to be "reminder" threads on the old Prog Ears site started by various members, and yours is no different. I was not offended in the least by your tone. I don't know when my star will run out, hopefully not before my last Unemployment check runs out. This place has been my "second home" for nearly a decade and I will always do my best to support it!

zombywoof
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
I am certainly not a "tough guy" behind my computer..I am actually sitting here in a lovely pink pajama set

http://asterling.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341ed39853ef0134886ef9bf970c-320wi

Duncan Glenday
02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
On the old site I used to get a notice when my year was up. Are you guys still doing that?

Yes. As mentioned earlier:

If your donation on the old system ran out within the last 2 months, you should have received a PM from "Admin".

When the new PEv3 donations run out, the system will automatically send an E-Mail. Unfortunately, there's no way for it to automatically PM you - though I'm working on that...