PDA

View Full Version : Satanic folk thread continued

Rune Blackwings
11-06-2012, 11:21 PM
For the continued discussion of the bands in the satanic folk thread in PE v2

spacefreak
11-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Pangolin said:
Any views on the philosophical back-engineering of BM that the 'Black Metal Theory' folks have been attempting?

http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com

I red the document and it seemed to me as an atempt to create a theoretical concept of the genre; in retrospect. You know, black metal is not the sole transcedental form of music, there are also other styles that transport you in "larger than life" worlds, beyond your everyday existence. But black metallers killed and destroyed cultural heritage. And the series of questions that mostly arise for me are: What type of black metal followers killed? What impulse made them kill? Under what conditions they might NOT murder?

I always believed (and it may not sound at all marxist) that geographical location is one of the main elements that influence human psyche. If you take a close look at the three major black metal scenes of the late 80s/early 90s under that prism, you can obtain useful conclusions (please do not take them as stereotypes but simply as behavioural patterns that will enable us to understand the collective subconscious of the black metal clan).

1. Brazilian scene (the older BM scene as we happen to know the genre): Ferocious christian-hate music by "happy" people (brasilians are thought to be among the happiest and most diverse people in the world). A scene based on a multiple personal relations with a preference for the sensual and the exotic, typical attitudes among the locals. Another local characteristic is a slight tendency towards aversion of manual or methodical labor. Close contact ("calor humano") Tropical wet & dry climate for the largest part of the country, moderate rainfalls, quasi absence of snow, annual average temperature range 20−26 °C. An excellent social environment for a "live and let live" attitude. I would label it as the "sensual" scene.

2. Greek scene: A scene centered around very outgoing people at a typical mediterranean setting. Generally populated by laid-back people thinking highly of themselves and their surroundings, in a country whose cultural heritage (and mythology) is aeons before christianity. So it was very natural for the local bands to abandon "Satan" as the central figure of their interest and dive into what I call epic hellenistic darkness: ancient myths with a strong element of mysical "catharsis". Less "evil" but equally "dark" with an emphasis on the "heroic deed". My label would be the "epic" scene.

3. Norwegian scene: Cold... cold... very cold and dark winter. Snow-clad whiteness during winter, golden in the summer/autumn, dark-thick forests, strong daytime and night-time temperatures differences. Usually, people stay large periods indoors and don't socialize that much (generally less than the southerns and they are used to spending more time "alone"). Less expressive body language than the southern countries. Social norms are rather permissive/tolerant society where having emotional outbursts seems rather unappropriate. Relationships develop slowly over there; it usually takes a lot more energy, than a brazilian or a greek is used to in his homeland. The label for me is the "grim" scene.

Fuelled by hate, over-comfidence to his personal "truth" and misanthropic blindness, which type of scenester is more prone to antisocial behaviour, if other socioeconimic factors permit?

I know that isolating the influence of geographical location to human behaviour can not sound very adequate as an analysis of what happened within the norwegian BM scene, but I think that "viewing through a window" may sometimes determine who we are most deeply than we usually think.

Pangolin
11-09-2012, 03:24 AM
A briefer reply than your full and thoughtful response deserves.

It's a little, well, 'essentialist' isn't it? I assuming that the greatest proportion of the populations of these countries are not BM fans despite their exposure to precisely the same environmental conditions.

But black metallers killed and destroyed cultural heritage.

Absolutely. You could argue that Fantoft was a remarkable 'time capsule' for indigenous forms of design and craft, and that its destruction was in that sense an idiotic "own goal" from those claiming to privilege precisely those same forms. But many of these people were - let's be in no doubt - rather dim.

My sense is that your #2 and #3 underplay the nationalist element. The same may be true for #1: I know too little about Brazil. As for #2: I remember being in Greece in the mid-90s and coming across, in a record shop, metal with clear nationalist overtones. How is this playing out now with the Golden Dawn?

spacefreak
11-09-2012, 06:44 AM
I remember being in Greece in the mid-90s and coming across, in a record shop, metal with clear nationalist overtones. How is this playing out now with the Golden Dawn?

Black metal fans of the second local wave (1994-2000) and some power/epic metal fans had a brief flirt with the nazi stuff, mostly due to the fact that Rotting Christ ex keyboardist and then Necromantia member Magus Daoloth was a member of the Golden Dawn. During the 00s, very few of them remained attached to the nazi ideals and Golden Dawn became more attractive to goths and football hooligans. Can't say that the situation remains the same today. The last 5 years, as the neonazis are gradually exiting their marginalisation phase (from 0.2% to a 11%), they are "mellowing-out" in order to be more attractive to the average citizen, thus are very careful in accepting "no mainstream looking youth" in their ranks.

However, we seem to be the only country in the world having a black metaller into Parliament. :oops

Rune Blackwings
11-09-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a few other bands to inquire on, but I have to get a list going.

I know quite a few of the black metallers have mellowed-Ihsahn moved into prog metal, Samoth has toned down his image considerably, Blasphemer (who apparently was never as extreme as his Mayhem bandmates) has moved on to Ava Inferi for the most part...

spacefreak
11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
...go on Jen.

Pangolin
11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
However, we seem to be the only country in the world having a black metaller into Parliament.

Oh, I'm sure there's a copy of 'At War with Satan' in David Cameron's collection. The music he claims to like is so anodyne that it's clearly not the music he really likes. ;)

Ihsahn: is it just me or is he turning into Ian Anderson? Physically, not musically. (Haven't heard the latest ... ).

spacefreak
11-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Haven't heard anything from him, except his debut The Adversary. What are the rest like?

Rune Blackwings
11-17-2012, 11:08 AM
I like Undercurrent quite a bit. he contributes to Leprousy, his back up band, but I am beginning to find the vocalist of that group wearing a bit on me.

Rune Blackwings
11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
My question concerning Nekrophile-any time I put on a "nekrophile band" radio (Zero Kama Radio, Metgumbnerbone Radio, for example), it recommends and plays bands such as Sol Invictus, Hexentanz, Der Blutarsch, The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud, etc.

Chazzyf
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Jen, you should find a lot to like at this site

http://heathenharvest.org/

Which a friend of mine helps to run. He likes much of the music but not The spiritual direction of much of the musical and written material that the site covers.

Rune Blackwings
12-01-2012, 05:24 PM
thanks! i downloaded some of the free music offered.

i have a question-i know albin julius went on to create der blutarsch with his current wife marthynna, but aside from her fling with samoth and some written work, whatever happened to alzbeth?

davis
12-01-2012, 08:10 PM
I dld the Samhainwork1 album. Just finished listening to Deluge - Mulm. now listening to Vi er natten - Vemod. So THIS stuff is Satanic Folk? sounds pretty good to me. which is the name of the artist and the song? kinda reminds me of some of the stuff I used to hear on The Engulfed Cathedral on Live365.

Lysander
12-02-2012, 07:49 AM
I dld the Samhainwork1 album. Just finished listening to Deluge - Mulm. now listening to Vi er natten - Vemod. So THIS stuff is Satanic Folk? sounds pretty good to me. which is the name of the artist and the song? kinda reminds me of some of the stuff I used to hear on The Engulfed Cathedral on Live365.

Davis, there is no satanic folk as such on that album. The Mulm track is dark ambient and the Vemod is more like ethereal.

davis
12-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Davis, there is no satanic folk as such on that album. The Mulm track is dark ambient and the Vemod is more like ethereal.

I'm crushed. okay, name an album or artist that IS satanic folk so I can hopefully get it on YT.

Rune Blackwings
12-02-2012, 07:32 PM
they had blood axis and sol invictus

BakerStMuse
12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Pangolin said:
Any views on the philosophical back-engineering of BM that the 'Black Metal Theory' folks have been attempting?

http://blackmetaltheory.blogspot.com

Exceedingly goofy IMO. Seems to be a product of "cultural studies" academic types plying the usual fare - which is largely nonsense. Black metal, and metal in general, doesn't need to be intellectualized.. the music speaks for itself.

davis
12-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I did YT search for 'satanic folk music' and heard a couple of songs. doesn't some of Eerie Von's stuff fit into this category? I should probably specify the Bad Dream No. 13 album

Rune Blackwings
12-08-2012, 11:59 AM
i have a few bands to ask about that i listen to but am unfamiliar with as far as who is in them:
coph nia
endura
dark muse
arktau eos
black mayonaisse
organisation toth
allegory chapel ltd

spacefreak
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm only familiar with the excellent ARKTAU EOS, a finnish duo comprising Anti Haapapuro (previously operating as the more industrial AEOGA and also member of the more ritual HALO MANASH) and Antti Litmanen (also in the goth metal BABYLON WHORES). I don't know if you have heard their latest offerings on the Svart label the simultaneously released CD "Ioh-Maera" and the LP "Unworeldes". Excellent stuff, the CD being on their more pagan ritual style and the vinyl bringing forth their dark ambient side.

Rune Blackwings
12-08-2012, 06:21 PM
I have a Halo Manash cd and an Arktau Eos cd, both of which are fantastic! I was curious with Coph Nia and Endura because vocals are very similar.

spacefreak
12-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Made a quick search 'n' listen for the other bands in your post.

a. The gothic influenced stuff: Dark Muse, Coph Nia and Endura. Not my cup of tea; they have the typical goth/dark feel of the Cold Meat Industry, Tesco and Old Europa Cafe labels, a sound that aged badly to my ears. Dark Muse ‎"Sounds From Beyond The Silver Wheel" was the best of the lot, an album worth seeking out...

b. The industrial influenced: Organisation Toth sounded like a deja vu of the early industrial electronics. I knew that Allegory Chapel Ltd were operating in the "old days" of the cassette underground but hadn't the opportunity to listen to them util now. Pleasant listen, though for completists of the style. Black Mayonnaise sit on the edge of the power electronics genre, with a modern electronica influence and are a different beast (and closer to my preferences).

12-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I listened to a few samples of Arktau Eos, from Mirriorion, which is sort of dark ambient music done without electronic instruments, and from Ai Ma Ra, which is more of the typcial dark ambient. Definitely have to pick up some of their stuff.

spacefreak
12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Ai Ma Ra is an excellent choice for a starter... Being a double CD it includes almost everything from the styles they experimented with...

Pangolin
12-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Endvra: I have some of, but would highly recommend Christopher Walton's next project TenHornedBeast, especially 'Hunts and Wars' (2010) which is a fantastic piece of work that stands far above most other dark ambient type stuff, IMO.

12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Ai Ma Ra is an excellent choice for a starter... Being a double CD it includes almost everything from the styles they experimented with...

Endvra: I have some of, but would highly recommend Christopher Walton's next project TenHornedBeast, especially 'Hunts and Wars' (2010) which is a fantastic piece of work that stands far above most other dark ambient type stuff, IMO.

Good information, I'll check both of them out.

Rune Blackwings
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Made a quick search 'n' listen for the other bands in your post.

a. The gothic influenced stuff: Dark Muse, Coph Nia and Endura. Not my cup of tea; they have the typical goth/dark feel of the Cold Meat Industry, Tesco and Old Europa Cafe labels, a sound that aged badly to my ears. Dark Muse ‎"Sounds From Beyond The Silver Wheel" was the best of the lot, an album worth seeking out...

b. The industrial influenced: Organisation Toth sounded like a deja vu of the early industrial electronics. I knew that Allegory Chapel Ltd were operating in the "old days" of the cassette underground but hadn't the opportunity to listen to them util now. Pleasant listen, though for completists of the style. Black Mayonnaise sit on the edge of the power electronics genre, with a modern electronica influence and are a different beast (and closer to my preferences).

i believe i have that dark muse cd.

Rune Blackwings
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
mirrorion is a great cd as well. I bought it a few weeks ago and am in love with it

spacefreak
12-11-2012, 04:14 AM

The Endura reltion had escaped me. Yes, Hunts and Wars is a very recommended album...

spacefreak
12-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Now that we are discussing the dark ambient style. May I recommend the classics "Cathedral" by NOCTURNAL EMISSIONS, "Aldebaran" by INADE and "The poisoner" by CONTROLLED BLEEDING.

Pangolin
12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
INADE I've never heard... will have to check it out.

Rune Blackwings
12-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Inade is awesome! If you want to hear a lot of these, go check out "Zero Kama Radio" on Last FM

Pangolin
12-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for that, too: I have done.

Rune Blackwings
12-25-2012, 10:12 AM
An interview with Alzbeth:
http://kaosthetik.com/interviews.swf

Her dissertation on visiting Norway...
http://members.chello.at/wank/chapters.htm

spacefreak
12-25-2012, 02:27 PM
An interview with Alzbeth:
http://kaosthetik.com/interviews.swf

I read her admiation of the ultra-orthodox christian and uber nationalist/fascist political party of Corneliu Zelea Codreanu -The Iron Guard. Death was a central part of the Iron Guard's ideology, from which several death squads of legionaries spawned (Decemviri, Nicadori, Razbunatori). The pro-european "culture" friendly interview strengthened my belief that most of these persons -once core members of the dark/apocalyptic & martial industrial scenes- are rotten to the core with fascist or neo-nazi ideals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtLCNn0j8ns

A good reason for me to boycott such scum!

Pangolin
12-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Well, that was underwhelming.

It's a good job she told the interviewer how smart she was otherwise one might come away with the idea that she was an idiot.

Codreanu and the Iron Guard (?the Legion of St Michael) continue to have something of an afterlife in certain quarters.... Not least because of Mircea Eliade's association with them. "Death was a central part of their ideology." So was virulent anti-semitism. A thoroughly nasty bunch.

spacefreak
12-26-2012, 03:39 AM
So was virulent anti-semitism. A thoroughly nasty bunch.

Yes... they had probably the strongest anti-semetic discourse in Orthodox Christianity. Codreanu's Legion proceeded into action as well, by evoking pogroms in various parts of Romania.

Pangolin
12-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Back to the music, as perhaps we ought, and the general spirit of this thread let me recommend - if you haven't come across them/him before - Phil Legard’s Xenis Emputae Travelling Band.

John Coulthart's ever-excellent blog 'Feuilleton' recently had an entry on his recordings, rightly pointing out that they are freely available on Internet Archive. Old(e) Weird England meets anthropological field recordings. The link is here:

http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/2012/12/24/xenis-emputae-travelling-band/

And the recordings are here:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator:%22Xenis+Emputae+Travelli ng+Band%22

Did I mention that they were free?

Rune Blackwings
12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Well, that was underwhelming.

It's a good job she told the interviewer how smart she was otherwise one might come away with the idea that she was an idiot.
Codreanu and the Iron Guard (?the Legion of St Michael) continue to have something of an afterlife in certain quarters.... Not least because of Mircea Eliade's association with them. "Death was a central part of their ideology." So was virulent anti-semitism. A thoroughly nasty bunch.

I figured that was an Austrian attitude. Nothing prejudiced, mind you. Just an observation.

While Samoth early on seemed into that, he seems to have ventured away from it as he has drifted further from the whole matter with Euronymous and Varg.

spacefreak
12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Back to the music, as perhaps we ought, and the general spirit of this thread let me recommend - if you haven't come across them/him before - Phil Legard’s Xenis Emputae Travelling Band.

I'm wholeheartedly recommending him as one of the humblest and more serious pagan folk musicians. Almost everything he recorded is of top quality, of a delicate outwordly approach to something earthly solid as traditional folk. I also had the opportunity to see him performing live and his performance was quite an experience.

Pangolin
12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
I figured that was an Austrian attitude. Nothing prejudiced, mind you. Just an observation.

Most of the Austrians I know seem to be able to be pretty smart and extremely self-effacing and can do both fluently in someone else's language. Which is simultaneously impressive and very annoying....;) That interview seems to have involved translation from German to French to English, which may explain some of the tone ...though not the content.

Spacefreak: Care to say a bit more about Phil Legrand's performance? In the wake of posting those links I went to his website and spent a couple of happy hours last night reading/looking through at his various works and projects -- it's an impressive body of work, and it's an equally impressive creative energy/work ethic.

Scrotum Scissor
12-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes... they had probably the strongest anti-semetic discourse in Orthodox Christianity. Codreanu's Legion proceeded into action as well, by evoking pogroms in various parts of Romania.

Most infamously the so-called Legionnaires pogrom in Bucharest, January 1941 (named after the actual title of the organization from which the Iron Guard militia evolved, the Legion of Archangel St. Michael); Jewish women, children and elderly were actually brought to a downtown kosher slaughterhouse, hung up-side down on the meathooks and cut open. Even the SS orderlies and advisors had never seen anything like it and were appalled; the whole incident is gathered to have played some role in Hitler's decision to back Antonescu's comedown on the Iron Guard later that month, when the latter attempted an ill-fated coup. Of course, Antonescu's ensuing puppet fascist regime proved just as genocidal, albeit more "mannered" and "effective" in a fashion closer to the "teutonic" ideals of "dignified conduct" (check the notorious Iasi pogrom that following summer, or the eagerness with which he obeyed every decree of the deportation policies from Berlin).

The pathetically alleged "martyrium" of Codreanu - he was himself shot (or rather liquidated) during a staged escape attempt from his captivity, after being arrested in an earlier skirmish between The Legion and King Carol - is probably only surpassed by the horrendous and much more open hallowing of Ustase leaders Pavelic and Luburic in Croatia. There, those sociopath assholes and beyond extreme massmurderers are worshipped among many followeres of mainstream rock as well as with football fans, celebrities etc.

spacefreak
12-31-2012, 01:58 AM
is probably only surpassed by the horrendous and much more open hallowing of Ustase leaders Pavelic and Luburic in Croatia. There, those sociopath assholes and beyond extreme massmurderers are worshipped among many followeres of mainstream rock as well as with football fans, celebrities etc.

...sad but true! Hundred thousand Serbs and tenths of thousands Jews and Romas, all civilian population had been extincted by what was the most murderous European regime after Hitler's Germany.

Rune Blackwings
01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
what about these guys?

http://www.laibach.org/

On youtube, someone said their militantism and all was a parody against WW2 Germany (in particular, the video for "Opus Dei").

spacefreak
01-06-2013, 03:39 AM
Spacefreak: Care to say a bit more about Phil Legrand's performance? In the wake of posting those links I went to his website and spent a couple of happy hours last night reading/looking through at his various works and projects -- it's an impressive body of work, and it's an equally impressive creative energy/work ethic.

"Stella & Astrophel" includes a part of that performance. It has been released on his Larkfall label.

spacefreak
01-06-2013, 03:43 AM
what about these guys?

http://www.laibach.org/

I like them. And they were very popular in my country during the late 80s. Best of all their "Rekapitulation 1980-1984" early works, "Nova Akropola" and "Macbeth" which is their most mature work to my ears.

Pangolin
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
what about these guys?

I've never really listened to them properly. I first came across them through one of their videos about 1986/7: lots of stags' heads and youths with raised trumpets. I did sort of enjoy their versions of Queen and Opus, which seemed intended to draw attention to the authoritarian themes in the originals by ludicrously overplaying them. They effectively put the lyrics to 'One Vision' into a genealogy that takes in 1930s Germany and threads back to the imperial acclamations - the laudes - of the Middle Ages. Not something you could do with 'Bohemian Rhapsody', I think...

Rune Blackwings
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
i had heard laibach's imagery was more of a poke at totaliarianism, especially nazism. But what was NSK?

Rune Blackwings
02-02-2013, 08:54 AM
any thoughts on the Harvestmen? I heard them on an album of Hawkwind covers and there seems to be a pagan theme on albums I have come across.

spacefreak
02-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Harvestmen or Harvestman aka Steve Von Till from NEUROSIS (also in Tribes of Neurot)??? If you mean the later, I have his two Harvestman albums Lashing the Rye (2005) and In a Dark Tongue (2009). Excellent krauty spaced out psychedelia with a folky edge and both mega-recommended.

Rune Blackwings
05-11-2013, 03:26 PM
playing thread necromancer. I heard a Blood Axis song, "papist and the Executioner" or "papist and the hangman". Interesting song.

Modry Effekt
05-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Hexvessel - "I am The Ritual" Live in Helsinki 27th May 2011

http://youtu.be/uSwXLMFS8Mk

Modry Effekt
05-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Orne - The Return Of The Sorcerer

http://youtu.be/7HzgPtZNLDE

Modry Effekt
05-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Korpses Katatonik / Choronzon

Not on youtube.Wow.

PeterG
05-14-2013, 06:15 PM
I've never understood why people listen to music with satanic or christian lyrics.

Modry Effekt
05-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I've never understood why people listen to music with satanic or christian lyrics.

Take it as what it is.Personally I think music directly from satan don't exist.

PotatoSolution
05-14-2013, 07:31 PM

Got to sing about something. Jesus, Satan, giant hogweeds, pigs on the wing, werewolves in London, inquiring as to who let the dogs out ...

Rune Blackwings
05-14-2013, 09:29 PM
I like the music. I liked Jars of Clay when I first heard them too.

Progmatic
05-15-2013, 08:35 AM

I would say majority of people including myself do not pay attention to lyrics ...furthermore majority of lyrics are not worthy to be even listen to...

Rune Blackwings
05-15-2013, 09:42 AM
I would say majority of people including myself do not pay attention to lyrics ...furthermore majority of lyrics are not worthy to be even listen to...

Also, I think most "satanic" bands are not actually satanic per se. I think many do it as a publicity gimmick, especially when you are talking heavy metal bands. most of these "satanic" bands actually have lyrics pertaining to medieval subject matter, Tolkien, Lovecraft, social commentary, paganism or anti-christian sentiment (not necessarily satanic).

Rune Blackwings
05-18-2013, 03:18 PM
http://youtu.be/yYtRgJdjQKk

http://youtu.be/b-_0ukUEnTg

Rune Blackwings
06-29-2013, 04:07 PM
spacefreak:
I was searching for Mezzerschmitt (Blasphemer's one off solo project) lyrics earlier when I stumbled upon a thread in one of Stormfront's forums (I don't frequent Stormfront, but after getting to know Blasphemer a bit, was curious on why his name would appear on a forum such as that) where it mentioned "confirmed National Socialists and racialists". Samoth was listed among them and, although I found a photo of a letter he wrote (as a teen) where he mentions a swastika on his guitar, I have not found anything in any interview or even when I encountered him briefly a few years ago, that would suggest he's involved in that sort of thing. It also mentioned Hellhammer. Was this a huge issue, or was it more of a thing they were into when dealing with Euronymous and Varg and they grew away from it?

Modry Effekt
06-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Korpses Katatonik || Choronzon

Modry Effekt
06-29-2013, 07:08 PM
This is Korpses Katatonik- Choronzon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwyxLc1geE

Rune Blackwings
06-30-2013, 02:37 AM
i swiped a few korpses katatonik songs off of youtube-cool stuff! Pre Zero Kama

spacefreak
06-30-2013, 03:24 AM
Hellhammer

A confirmed racist and pro N.S. This bothered Euronymous a bit (he was a communist sympathiser) and he successfully managed to hide it from the public eye. However, at 1995 when Hellhammer reformed the band with Blasphemer, he openly promoted Nazi imagery (filled their rehearsal room with swastika flags, used the Totenkopf for band merchandise alongside with the symbol of the military branch of Nasjonal Samling). He advocated violence against homosexuals and openly spoke against race mixing and foreigners in Norway in Ablaze Magazine #6.

Blasphemer

I don't know for him as he was recruited into MAYHEM in 1995 -after Oystein's death- and my ties with them were only Dead and Euronymous. There were rumors though. Probably he was using the imagery just as an provocation, but I'm in no doubt that such an attitude can easily result into really embracing the ideology.

The most interesting personality to ever been in MAYHEM had been their first drummer Kjetil Manheim. A big admirer of Conrad Schnitzler (check out some "Deathcrush" bits), he ended up collaborating with him on the Big Robot project and with other industrial/noise/experimental musicians as well. You can check his blog at: http://blog.manheim.no/

Rune Blackwings
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
my experiences with blasphemer have been of a guy more obsessed with music and folklore than with political issues. but then again, i never asked him. he has a totenkopf hidden in the black band on his left arm, but i was told by someone it was an old tattoo he had incorporated into what he has now. i figured his interest in nazi imagery stemmed more from the fact norway had once been under german occupation (and from his motorhead influences). i know in some interviews, he seems to separate himself physically from the rest of the band (in one, he is sitting in a chair by himself while the others are on a couch, and he's in his "defensive" position, which I gather is because the others acted like clowns half the time). he seems very open to fans except he will not sign mayhem albums he was not involved in.

i do know that a second mezzerschmitt project was deep sixed by him after he left mayhem. on the welterschaft album, he has a disclaimer about not being political.

what has me confused with samoth is stormfront says he is a confirmed racialist and national socialist, but in an interview with him and kai mosaker, both clearly state hitler would have to change his ideas first when asked the stupid question of "would you drink with hitler". his father also did an album of african inspired jazz music, which also bears samoth's actual name on the liner notes.

i found your comments and assessment of Varg interesting, as i heard too many say what kind of genius he was, but he never struck me as anything more than a narcissist, so thanks for all that in the old thread.

Rune Blackwings
10-28-2014, 09:17 AM
resurrecting this thread because I am buying stuff off of emusic and mp3 million and I need the recommendations