PDA

View Full Version : Kansas live in Pittsburgh 1976

YESHEAD777
11-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I just found a bootleg i got several yrs. ago from a great show from the Leftoverture Tour with an incredible setlist and for the most part really good sound. And the performances are top notch too esp. Robbys violin work and vocals. Steve's voice is really strong too, Phil's drumming is so intricate and precise, Dave's bass is mixed really well and very tight, Rich is the usual workhorse, and Kerry is well....Kerry! It's amazing how good this sounds at times-def. a soundboard recording, but there are also some glaring technical issues, and a couple of songs are chopped up, and a few segments even deleted, while others are duplicated. Im' not sure what happened there, but overall this is a real treasure! They were so tight and so on their game. Heres the setlist from setlist.fm for Oct.31st, the disc says 10-30-76. Pretty sure its the same show. Its pretty incredible they started with(after the intro) COWS and introduced ths songs from the "NEW" album Leftoverture-which I guess many were hearing for the first time!

YESHEAD777
11-06-2012, 10:21 PM
1.Intro
2.Carry On Wayward Son
3.Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel
4.Down The Road
5.Good Evening Introduction
6.Mysteries and Mayhem
7.Lamplight Symphony
8.The Wall
9.Intro
10.Lonely Wind
11.What's on My Mind
12.Miracles Out of Nowhere
13.Guitar Solo
14.Child of Innocence
15.Intro
16.Keyboard Improv / Drum Solo / Magnum Opus
17.Song for America
18.Violin Solo
19.Cheyenne Anthem
20.Belexes

trurl
11-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I almost got to go to that show. My older brother would have had to take me and he couldn't.

harbinger58
11-07-2012, 01:08 AM
I was there!!!

YESHEAD777
11-07-2012, 02:05 AM
I was there!!!
Wow! incredible! tell us about it!

ajcmixer
11-07-2012, 02:16 PM
I was not at the Pittsburg show but saw/heard them either slightly before or after on that tour here in NYC at the Palladium and this band was IMHO riding both a creative and commercial high and it was truly exciting to watch it live. Blew me away opening with COWS, wish they would do that nowadays (as I duck from the tomatoes being hurled from me from the band members...:p:bad:lol!).

On topic, this is one of the more widely circulated shows from that (classic...:up:up) era and is an excellent representation of the power and glory that was Kansas in the 70's. What so many of us Kansas fans to be able to get Steve Walsh to acknowledge that Lonely Wind is one of the loveliest songs in their catalog and that it is time to dust it off again.

Peace,
Alex

rushfan
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
What so many of us Kansas fans to be able to get Steve Walsh to acknowledge that Lonely Wind is one of the loveliest songs in their catalog and that it is time to dust it off again.

Literally QFT.

happytheman
11-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I've got the show you are referring to as well as one from NY same tour. Set list not as extensive... but equally good.

04.17.76 - Syracuse, NY
Source: Onondaga County War Memorial, Syracuse, NY. April 17th 1976
Sound Quality: B
Time: 46:30
Notes: Opening for Bad Company.
1. Song For America (11:22)
2. Icarus (Borne On Wings Of Steel) (6:05)
3. Down The Road (3:42)
4. Belexes (4:07)
5. Drum Solo (3:37)
6. Guitar Solo (4:16)
7. Child Of Innocence (4:51)
8. Bringing It Back (7:03)
9. Can I Tell You [cut] (1:26)

harbinger58
11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Yes...I attended and we were vewry close to the front./ This show was also broadcast live here on WDVE and for MANY years, they would play several clips including COMWS on the radio all the time. If you liste n closely at the beginning, you'll hear someone scream, "They ain't there!!". That was a friend of mine and it was a private joke we had and one of us would scream that as soon as the lights were turned off prior to stage lights coming on. It was one helluva a show and Kansas was on fire. They used to refer to Pittsburgh as their second home because even before they had their radio hits, they sold out to crazy-big crowds every show in Pittsburgh.....and they still do.

Just for old time's sake...."They ain't there man!"

YESHEAD777
11-08-2012, 09:39 PM
And its so great to hear songs like Child of Inncence and Whats my mind. also ones they oughta bring back!

Jerjo
11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Hmm, Dime has an abbreviated version of this show but not the full one. Time for a little hunting.

YESHEAD777
11-09-2012, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=harbinger58;2436]Yes...I attended and we were vewry close to the front./ This show was also broadcast live here on WDVE and for MANY years, they would play several clips including COMWS on the radio all the time. If you liste n closely at the beginning, you'll hear someone scream, "They ain't there!!". That was a friend of mine and it was a private joke.

Ill have to pay close attention. my recording is pretty low, I have to crank it up to max in the car just to rock good!

happytheman
11-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Hmm, Dime has an abbreviated version of this show but not the full one. Time for a little hunting.
BigO had this full show up sometime ago. http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=984

Fracktured
11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
I've had this show for quite awhile now, but my version has the beginning of Wayward Son edited in from the studio vinyl because it stated that the beginning of the show was missing.

ronmac
11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I've had this show for quite awhile now, but my version has the beginning of Wayward Son edited in from the studio vinyl because it stated that the beginning of the show was missing.

Yeah, my copy is like that. That show is from the great, but now gone, Syria Mosque in the Oakland part of Pittsburgh, right near Pitt. Saw many great shows there, including the last two with Frank Zappa.

harbinger58
11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I was at the last Zappa Tour show at the Mosque too. fantastic show. I attended with my ex-wife....we didn't know she was pregnant yet...but we attribute our son's crazy musical ability to attending that show in utero.

ronmac
11-10-2012, 05:22 PM
I was at the last Zappa Tour show at the Mosque too. fantastic show. I attended with my ex-wife....we didn't know she was pregnant yet...but we attribute our son's crazy musical ability to attending that show in utero.

Which show did you see? I was lucky enough to see both and they were significantly different from one another. One was in February and the other was in March. I actually have recordings of both. In fact, the February show is on Sugarmegs.

Jerjo
11-10-2012, 10:25 PM
OK - I went with the Big O version. I prefer FLAC but what the hell. Thanks for the link. Low volume but I love hearing Steve's voice when he was still a young god.

wurensh
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
The version I have was a "remaster" done by the wonderful folks under PRRP (the release is PRRP 018) and included a radio interview with the band as well as 5 tracks from the opening act, Ambrosia. The liner notes give an indication that the date could either be October 30 or Halloween (Oct 31), though a quick check on the internet reveals that they were in Kentucky on Halloween. Those recordings were put out either flac or wav (trees) if I remember correctly. They put out a lot of great remasters :-)

YESHEAD777
11-13-2012, 12:14 AM

I knew that sounded too good to be true!

cupwonder
11-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Can you trade it to me? I've got a ton of Tull boots.

progsynth
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Downloaded yesterday and listened on my commute home from work --Excellent!
One of the many reasons I love PE!

YESHEAD777
11-15-2012, 06:36 AM
One thing I have a love/hate relationship with is robby's vocal mix. He's just enough off key several times to cause near-cringe moments, but at other times his
harmonies with Steve are right on. It shows how much he sang lead and vital harmonies with Steve on the early stuff. More than I realized. Instrumentally, they are so freaking tight. Magnum Opus starts with a really weird and dated synth intro which goes into a killer drum solo by Ehart, and then MO just kills. Other highlights are child of Innocence, Icarus, Song For America, and Belexes.

bpwdve
03-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Hey everybody,

I just joined so I could reach out to you. I've worked at WDVE in Pittsburgh for over 20 years and have been looking for this show for my entire career here. I've met the guys who originally recorded it years ago. (Carry On Wayward Son did get screwed up and they improvised by splicing in the studio version.)1253 We used to broadcast these shows live as they happened and through the kindness of strangers I've started to get back some of these shows - all at various levels of quality. Genesis, Allman Brothers, King Crimson, Robin Trower, etc. are examples of what "walked away" from the station. The tapes vanished long before I started here and as I embark on this mission to rebuild our heritage I hope you can help. Can I get a copy of this show from any of you. Contact me and let me know if we can trade anything. If you live in Pittsburgh, come see me and I'll give you a tour of the station. Thanks in advance for any of your help!

bpwdve

ItalProgRules
03-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Genesis, Allman Brothers, King Crimson, Robin Trower, ^^^^^^ I want ALL of those! (slobber slobber :))

ronmac
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Hey everybody,

I just joined so I could reach out to you. I've worked at WDVE in Pittsburgh for over 20 years and have been looking for this show for my entire career here. I've met the guys who originally recorded it years ago. (Carry On Wayward Son did get screwed up and they improvised by splicing in the studio version.)1253 We used to broadcast these shows live as they happened and through the kindness of strangers I've started to get back some of these shows - all at various levels of quality. Genesis, Allman Brothers, King Crimson, Robin Trower, etc. are examples of what "walked away" from the station. The tapes vanished long before I started here and as I embark on this mission to rebuild our heritage I hope you can help. Can I get a copy of this show from any of you. Contact me and let me know if we can trade anything. If you live in Pittsburgh, come see me and I'll give you a tour of the station. Thanks in advance for any of your help!

bpwdve

I have the Genesis '76 show and the Kansas and live in Wexford. If you want to drop me a line, PM me and we'll set something up.

While you're at it, tell Sean to expand his play list. ;)

Ron

dgtlman
03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
I have a Genesis show from that period. It was a radio broadcast from the Syria Mosque, TotT tour I believe

ronmac
03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a Genesis show from that period. It was a radio broadcast from the Syria Mosque, TotT tour I believe

Yeah, that's the one. Phil Collins infamously opened the set with "Hello Baltimore."

I should also note that I have the Ambrosia opening set from the Kansas show.

There are some other pittsburgh broadcasts that I might have, like Black Sabbath from 77 or 78. If you have a list of shows you're looking for, it would be helpful.

MudShark22
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
BRUUUUUFORD! :lol

Definitely a famous show and in circulation for awhile.

NeonKnight
03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
I saw Kansas in 1976 also, only it was for the Masque tour in February.

God, so many good memories of that show at the legendary Capitol Theater in Passaic. I had good seats for one of the few times ever in my early concert going days, something like 14th row!

That was the only time ever I saw an opening act literally blow the headliners off the stage, no contest. Even though I was a Foghat fan also, and I enjoyed their show, I actually felt bad for them walking out there after Kansas blew the F-ing roof off.

I have a feeling Foghat looked for another less talented opener afterwards.

Nice listing of Kansas tour dates here (http://atlas.kennesaw.edu/cgi-bin/dhirschl/tour.cgi?band=Kansas).

Paulrus
03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a feeling Foghat looked for another less talented opener afterwards.

Poor Foghat. I'll never forget waiting to get into shop class when I was in 8th grade (1978) and some kids nearby were talking about music they were playing in their nascent little rock bands. I kept my mouth shut so as not to reveal my hopelessly square prog leanings, but I'll never forget one kid -- who obviously thought he was god's gift when it comes to musical knowledge -- saying, "Any fool with a guitar can play Foghat."

Everyone around him agreed. :)

NeonKnight
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I kept my mouth shut so as not to reveal my hopelessly square prog leanings, but I'll never forget one kid -- who obviously thought he was god's gift when it comes to musical knowledge -- saying, "Any fool with a guitar can play Foghat."

Everyone around him agreed. :)

Making him a Fool for the City?

Those fools were probably banging some nice checks and cashing in on some nice groupie chicks backstage while Kansas wailed away out front.

The Fantastic Progo Rican
03-19-2013, 09:32 PM
The BigO show sounds great, downloading it as we speak...

ProgSeeker
03-20-2013, 12:17 AM
My first Kansas show in Pittsburgh was in the late 80s on the In the Spirit of Things tour at the Syria Mosque. It was a huge let down... they came out like a leather hair band and virtually ditched the violin (except for Dust in the Wind I think). Thankfully, I saw them a bunch of times after that and they were much better. Probably best of which was 1991 with Steve Morse Band opening. Both were at the top of their game. The local paper picked the SMB opening performance as one of the best *concerts* of the year. I've also heard Kansas call Pittsburgh their "second home", and they always seem to give it their all here.

Dean Watson
03-20-2013, 06:32 AM
I saw them once in Toronto at Exhibition Staduim. Great show all around - their exit was really cool - the last tune they played had a very short pause in it, during the pause the stage went dark and when the lights came back on and the music played - they were gone - obviously they had switched to a recording - the curtains started to slowly close and then you saw a limosine driving throught the field with a spotlight on it - and there they were, all waving good bye through the window as it drove off to one of the exits ( all the while the tune we just saw them play was still playing ... )

Neat.

ronmac
03-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Probably best of which was 1991 with Steve Morse Band opening. Both were at the top of their game.

I was at that show at Station Square. I was actually trying to record it, but, like a dummy, didn't have my mike plugged in all the way.

harbinger58
03-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Both of the Kansas Stanley Theatre shows from 1975 and 1976 are available on the Dime and The Trader's Den in FLAC format.

ca1ore
03-20-2013, 11:11 PM
There are passable versions of the Genesis show from Syria Mosque. Supposedly there was a more recent effort to remaster from a better source, but I never heard anything new emerge.

ronmac
03-21-2013, 07:44 AM
There are passable versions of the Genesis show from Syria Mosque. Supposedly there was a more recent effort to remaster from a better source, but I never heard anything new emerge.

The one I've had for years is FM-quality. Never felt it needed a remaster.

ronmac
03-21-2013, 08:30 AM
The one I've had for years is FM-quality. Never felt it needed a remaster.

I did just see a remaster of the Kansas set from '76 that I might grab.