PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy ProgDay

Jon
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
As we anxiously await the first news about the 2013 festivities, I thought it would be fun to play Fantasy ProgDay.

Rules: Pick your own, or don’t use any.

I made choices using the constraints that 1) none of the bands, as far as I could recall, performed previously at ProgDay, NEARFest, Baja Prog, or RoSFest, 2) no more than three bands could be from overseas, 3) all selections have histories of live performances, 4) a single Friday night pre-show band could be included, and 5) all bands be currently active.

Note: I’m sure the actual line-up will be better than anything I dream up, but this is how I sometimes enjoy passing time during office hours.

Friday night – Trioscapes
Saturday – Gutbucket, Corima, I Treni All’Alba, Brother Ape
Sunday – Zip Tang, Afroskull, Moonwagon, Herd Of Instinct

I look forward to seeing who you would include if you were making the choices.

Lino
01-31-2013, 02:44 PM
I'll use the same constraints:

Friday - spacerockmanifesto (CAN) performs the entire "Warrior On The Edge Of Time" and other Hawkwind classics. :D

Saturday - The Sadies(CAN), Zechs Marquis (USA), Acid Mothers Temple (JAP), Shpongle (ENG)

Sunday - Johnny Dowd (USA), Jello Biafra & Guantanamo School of Medecine (USA), GYBE! (CAN), Rammstein (GER)

Jefferson James
01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
My constraints deem all bands must be PE members and there are 28 hours in a day.

Friday night: Heliopolis (come on, I had to), Helmet of Gnats

Saturday: Cirrus Bay, Bad Dog U, Pinnacle, Man on Fire, Thinking Plague

Sunday: Mind Furniture, Shadow Circus, 3RDegree, IZZ, Mike Keneally Band

Monday: All the other PE bands I am horrifyingly forgetting in the heat of the moment.

Hunnibee
01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Kerry stole all my choices, but I would add Fairpoint and Kinetic Element.

Throw in some Dutch or Polish bands like Silhouhette and Dark Water, and I'll make the effort to attend. :D

Oh, and what about Wobbler? I'm not sure what country they are from, but I like those guys, too!

Steve F.
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
I think you are all going to be very disappointed!

:lol

80s were ok
01-31-2013, 04:12 PM
what is Fantasy Progday?- something real? "anxiously await the first news"..of what?

Jon
01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Disappointed in ProgDay? Only if it's cancelled.

Jon
01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
what is Fantasy Progday?- something real?
as real as any fantasy

"anxiously await the first news"..of what?
the 2013 festivities

Lebofsky
01-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Nice to see a Zechs Marquise nod above. I shared a random bill with them in Budapest back in November. Cool guys, cool band.

Lots of good suggestions already. I would add: iNFiNiEN. New band from Philadelphia that totally kicks ass. And I'd also add my bands to the list, of course.

- Matt

80s were ok
01-31-2013, 05:26 PM
as real as any fantasy

the 2013 festivities

of what? What is "Fantasy Progday"? Some kind of fest? Being serious here.

Jefferson James
01-31-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd also add my bands to the list, of course.

Matt, your bands alone could make up an entire festival! MATTPROG 2013!

SteveSly
01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
My constraints deem all bands must be PE members and there are 28 hours in a day.

Monday: All the other PE bands I am horrifyingly forgetting in the heat of the moment.

Helmet of Gnats, Thinking Plague, 3rd Degree, IZZ, Mike Keneally have already played ProgDay at least once.

Steve Sly

Jefferson James
01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Helmet of Gnats, Thinking Plague, 3rd Degree, IZZ, Mike Keneally have already played ProgDay at least once.

Rules: Pick your own, or don’t use any.

Steve, I know; I was just making up my own rules as per the OP. My rules were only bands with PE members, and that there be 28 hours in a day to allow for more bands per day. Hey, it could happen. :)

progeezer
01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Matt, your bands alone could make up an entire festival! MATTPROG 2013!Do you mean MiRthTar Chiefs?;)

Jefferson James
01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Do you mean MiRthTar Chiefs?;)

You read my mind! :) Matt's a mofo, isn't he? He killed me watching him tickle the ivories (or plastic) with the mighty MoeTar the other night. Still coming down from that amazing performance....

adap2it
01-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Beyond fantasy, one of the bands mentioned in this thread, is being considered...

Dave Sr.

progeezer
01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Beyond fantasy, one of the bands mentioned in this thread, is being considered...

Dave Sr.Shame on you old man for dangling a carrot like that!;)

Bands I'd love to see there: Heliopolis, Thinking Plague, Future Kings Of England, Diagonal, agree w/Brother Ape, Dissonati, Poor Genetic Material & agree also w/Cirrus Bay (that's 8).

Friday night band: Fanfare - Chicago-based ELP tribute band with one of the best keyboard players around, Brian Harris, as well as some fat Mexican physicist on bass:D.

Jon
02-01-2013, 05:13 AM

What a great idea! You could call the event EARSFest.

NogbadTheBad
02-01-2013, 06:53 AM

Mr Phideaux?

Lino
02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Nice to see a Zechs Marquise nod above. I shared a random bill with them in Budapest back in November. Cool guys, cool band.

that's cool Matt! I'd never heard of them till I saw them backing up Omar Rodriguez Lopez Band in Buffalo a couple years back. They were really good, and I immediately thought that they could actually fit in at a progfest...maybe like ProgDay.

But now you've made me remember about how much I dig SC3 live...they'd have to get a slot in there somewhere for sure!

arabicadabra
02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
> Helmet of Gnats, Thinking Plague, 3rd Degree, IZZ, Mike Keneally have already played ProgDay at least once. <

And one more you forgot :)

3RDegree_Robert
02-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Kerry-nice list. Tickled to be on it but I don't think ProgDay (save Discipline) have many repeat performances.

HoldYourFire
02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Looks like Kevin Jarvis and I will have to organize Melissafest! :-) Both of us would be so tickled to get on a festival we might be reduced to uncontrollable laughter. Thanks Mel!! And I see we both made Kerry's Monday list kinda sorta. Pinnacle deserves a repeat engagement. Could Big Big Train be enticed to play?

Hunnibee
02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
It will be called HunniFest, actually, and it will be the first thing I organize after I win the lottery! :D

Gerhard
02-04-2013, 09:50 PM
of what? What is "Fantasy Progday"? Some kind of fest? Being serious here.

ProgDay is a real festival, happens every Labor Day weekend in Chapel Hill, NC. No bands have been announced for 2013, so they're fantasizing about who they'd like to see there.

www.progday.net

I'd love to see Big Big Train at ProgDay, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Digital_Man
02-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Kerry stole all my choices, but I would add Fairpoint and Kinetic Element.

Throw in some Dutch or Polish bands like Silhouhette and Dark Water, and I'll make the effort to attend. :D

Oh, and what about Wobbler? I'm not sure what country they are from, but I like those guys, too!

Wobbler are from Norway(same as White Willow).

Progday has had lots of heavy hitters. Maybe they haven't had as many super obvious household names like Nearfest but they've had some truly great and legendary(in their own right)bands nonetheless.

I am not sure I would do well at this game. Most of the bands I would want to see have played at most of the festivals I have been to. I'm afraid I'll just be a spectator this time.

Hunnibee
02-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Now if I could just spell Farpoint, I won't be too embarrassed! :lol

Wobbler are from Norway.

Thanks, Mike. I'm loving that country more and more each day!

Farpoint Kevin
02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
First, I'd like to thank Melissa for always putting in a good word for Farpoint...Second, I concur; I too would love to see Farpoint play ProgDay.

Just off the top of my head, some others I'd like to see that haven't played the fest before, at least to the best of my knowledge:
Kinetic Element (I think Mike & Co would put on a killer show, especially as much as they have been getting out and playing their local clubs lately.)
Little Atlas
Relayer (are these guys still doing anything? I loved their first couple of albums)
Mystery

And for a little variety:

Tomahawk (especially if they would focus on the "Anonymous" material)
Sun City Girls

And the Sunday headliner: The Decemberists

SteveSly
02-07-2013, 05:54 PM
And the Sunday headliner: The Decemberists

That would be very cool, but I am pretty sure they would cost more than the entire Progday band budget these days.

Steve Sly

moecurlythanu
02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Mr Phideaux?

I was thinking The Red Masque. (PE artist not mentioned.)

Jon
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Here's another daydream with only east coast US bands this time.

Friday night – Cindercat
Saturday – Peanut Brittle Satellite, Sky Picnic, PAK, 4Front
Sunday – Carpe Nota, Giraffes? Giraffes!, 16 Deadly Improvs, Ahleuchatistas

roylayer
02-11-2013, 09:44 PM
I've got to say, I almost thought you were just making up some names there... until I saw Ahleuchatistas. They are the only band on your list that i recognize! I feel so out of it now.

Ahleuchatistas put on a great show when I saw them. I don't know if they would be right for ProgDay or not, but they put on a heck of a show here in St. Louis a few years back.

Lopez
02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
I'd love to see at ProgDay all the bands that have cancelled for some reason or another over the years: Nik Turner's Space Ritual, Daemonia, Morgbl (they eventually did play, but what the hey, I'd see them again), White Willow, a Czech band I can't remember, Amon Duul (I believe cancelled about 10 years ago), Nektar, and I'm sure there's a couple others. Help me out Steve S. and Dave Sr.

I also think Farpoint and Kinetic Element would fit in right nicely. Also Eccentric Orbit.

Jon
02-13-2013, 06:29 PM
I'd love to see at ProgDay all the bands that have cancelled for some reason or another over the years: Nik Turner's Space Ritual, Daemonia, Morgbl (they eventually did play, but what the hey, I'd see them again), White Willow, a Czech band I can't remember, Amon Duul (I believe cancelled about 10 years ago), Nektar, and I'm sure there's a couple others. Help me out Steve S. and Dave Sr.

I also think Farpoint and Kinetic Element would fit in right nicely. Also Eccentric Orbit.

Uz Jsme Doma and Quantum Fantay cancelled and, yes, I'd love to see them too.

SteveSly
02-14-2013, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Lopez;51407] Help me out Steve S. and Dave Sr.

Another one I remember who cancelled was Tribe Of Cro. There have been others too, but they are not coming to me at the moment.

Steve Sly

Hunnibee
02-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Still waiting for the Prog Day folks to update their website for 2013, although I am not expecting any bands to be announced for awhile yet. Since I will not be making it to RoSFest, barring a miracle, Prog Day would be my next choice for traveling east.

SteveSly
02-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Still waiting for the Prog Day folks to update their website for 2013, although I am not expecting any bands to be announced for awhile yet. Since I will not be making it to RoSFest, barring a miracle, Prog Day would be my next choice for traveling east.

Michael has been having some problems with the website. As of about a week ago I know he was shut out of it for some reason and unable to make any updates. He is working on getting the problem fixed.

Steve Sly

Steve F.
02-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Ahleuchatistas put on a great show when I saw them. I don't know if they would be right for ProgDay or not, but they put on a heck of a show here in St. Louis a few years back.I could be a stinker and say 'well, then, why aren't they right for ProgDay?"

but I am not a stinker....

:lol

Hunnibee
02-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Michael has been having some problems with the website. As of about a week ago I know he was shut out of it for some reason and unable to make any updates. He is working on getting the problem fixed.

Thanks, Steve! I know it's early yet, but curiosity killed the cat, and I'm on my ninth life these days. :)

SteveSly
02-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks, Steve! I know it's early yet, but curiosity killed the cat, and I'm on my ninth life these days. :)

I can assure everyone that plans are moving forward. Michael is a very busy guy, and now that the burdon is mostley on his shoulders he has to balance ProgDay planning with his full time life. Announcements should be coming soon.

Steve Sly

Jon
02-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Sounds like we'll be waiting a bit more for any announcements, so might as well play another round, although at this point it seems like I'm pretty much playing with myself. :)

This time I'm limiting my choices to US ProgDay alumni.

Friday pre-show: Woodenhead
Saturday: Fibonacci Sequence, Oblivion Sun, The Muffins, Discipline
Sunday: Shadow Circus, French TV, 3rDegree, Echolyn

SteveSly
02-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Sounds like we'll be waiting a bit more for any announcements, so might as well play another round, although at this point it seems like I'm pretty much playing with myself. :)

This time I'm limiting my choices to US ProgDay alumni.

Friday pre-show: Woodenhead
Saturday: Fibonacci Sequence, Oblivion Sun, The Muffins, Discipline
Sunday: Shadow Circus, French TV, 3rDegree, Echolyn

Looking back at some of my favorite alumni performances over the years it would be a really tough pick, but I would go with:

Friday Pre-Show: Three
Saturday: Crucible (reunion), Discipline, Morglbl, Wishbone Ash
Sunday: Dreadnaght, Beardfish, Kraan, Freak Kitchen

Steve Sly

zombywoof
02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Phideaux, Panzerpappa, Diagonal, Guapo

Shadow
02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Progday Fantasy

http://thatsjustsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/volleyball-celebration.jpg

Jon
03-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Friday pre-show: Flatbed Rhapsody

Saturday: The Owl Stretchers, Fiskdingle, Playtex Afternoon, Who’s Counting?

Sunday: Digestive Biscuits, Beckoning Hands, Instruments of Torture, Translucent

Locanda2
03-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Alphataurus (Italy)
Anekdoten (Sweden)
Atoll (France)
Cathedral (USA)
Cressida (United Kingdom)
Latte E Miele (Italy)
Locanda Delle Fate (Italy)
Mezquita (Spain)
Maxophone (Italy)
Pulsar (France)
SBB (Poland)
Shylock (France)
Wobbler (Norway)

arabicadabra
03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
A.C.T - now THAT would be a "get". My wife hates me travelling for festivals - but for them, I'd HAVE the big fight.....

Progmatic
03-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Alphataurus (Italy)
Anekdoten (Sweden)
Atoll (France)
Cathedral (USA)
Cressida (United Kingdom)
Latte E Miele (Italy)
Locanda Delle Fate (Italy)
Mezquita (Spain)
Maxophone (Italy)
Pulsar (France)