PDA

View Full Version : UK coming to Atlanta

meimjustalawnmower
01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
http://www.variety-playhouse.com/event/uk-featuring-eddie-jobson-john-wetton-terry-bozzio-and-alex-machacek/

http://www.variety-playhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/UK-300x273.jpg

Sean
01-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Cheap seats start at 75.00. Musical workshop with EJ & the show runs 125.00. Which you gonna spring for?

trurl
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Musical Workshop??

meimjustalawnmower
01-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Cheap seats start at 75.00. Musical workshop with EJ & the show runs 125.00. Which you gonna spring for?
Man, I'm not sure if I can afford to go! Sheesh. Last time I saw UK was at the Omni opening for Tull. Tix were maybe $10.

Sean
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
VIP tickets include a master class with Eddie Jobson that starts at 5:30PM. Eddie will share his considerable knowledge of music, including an understanding of the physics of sound and the language of harmony. There will also be a meet and greet with Eddie Jobson, Alex Machacek and Jon Wetton. All ticketholders must be to the theater by 5:30 to partake in the Master Class and meet and greet. VIP will also have first shot at seats since they will be in the building before the general public.

meimjustalawnmower
01-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Well, I don't care about the class since I'm not a musician, and the extra $50 just to get a better seat isn't that important because it's a small venue anyway. Personally, I doubt that if tix were even half the price that it would be a sellout, but I hope I'm wrong. Obviously, to a serious prog fan this is a pretty big deal.

claycorn
01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
want to go badly !!!!

trurl
01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
VIP tickets include a master class with Eddie Jobson that starts at 5:30PM. Eddie will share his considerable knowledge of music, including an understanding of the physics of sound and the language of harmony. There will also be a meet and greet with Eddie Jobson, Alex Machacek and Jon Wetton. All ticketholders must be to the theater by 5:30 to partake in the Master Class and meet and greet. VIP will also have first shot at seats since they will be in the building before the general public.Even though that sounds sort of patronizing I would dig it :D Maybe Eddie will do that on the cruise as his Storyteller set...

enpdllp
01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
For those who are considering going to the Atlanta show or any other Jobson related appearance and debating on purchasing a VIP ticket, you should enroll into his Zealots Lounge (http://www.zealotslounge.com/component/acctexp/subscribe). The basic subscription is $25 per year and it entitles you to VIP ticket privileges for the price of a general admission ticket. There are other benefits like discounted merchandise and a few exclusive videos and audio tracks on the site.

enpdllp
01-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Even though that sounds sort of patronizing I would dig it :D Maybe Eddie will do that on the cruise as his Storyteller set...

FWIW, there will be no "Master Class" on the cruise.

trurl
01-30-2013, 10:47 PM
FWIW, there will be no "Master Class" on the cruise.

Yeah, I was being a little facetious... it would be cool though if he would!

80s were ok
01-30-2013, 10:53 PM

any other dates????

enpdllp
01-30-2013, 11:08 PM
any other dates????

For the UK quartet, there will only be three "non-aquatic" dates:

30 March Miami, Florida (http://ticketfly.com/event/211521)
02 April Panama City, Panama
04 April Atlanta, Georgia (http://www.variety-playhouse.com/event/uk-featuring-eddie-jobson-john-wetton-terry-bozzio-and-alex-machacek/)

enpdllp
01-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I was being a little facetious... it would be cool though if he would!

Jobson is a very approachable guy. If you are on the cruise I am quite sure you will have an opportunity to chat with him about it and he might give you a good scoop of the contents of the master class and other interesting subjects. FWIW, UK will be playing on the 27th and 29th of March on the cruise.

One hour plus after the UK show in Philadelphia last year, I was chatting with a group of folks at the venue's bar and Jobson joined us in the conversation for over an hour where among the many subjects he discussed was a preview of some of the subjects he will be talking about on the Master Class. He would have stayed longer, but the bartender told us they were closing the joint. Jobson also chatted with fans for quite a long time shortly after UK's performance at NEARFest, followed by another lengthy chat with fans until the wee hours of the morning at the hotel lobby he was staying.

trurl
01-30-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm definitely hoping to get a chance to talk with him a little, hopefully without being a drooling fanboy *lol* Short of Keith Emerson there's probably no one I'd rather have a chance to meet...

meimjustalawnmower
01-30-2013, 11:50 PM
For the UK quartet, there will only be three "non-aquatic" dates:

30 March Miami, Florida (http://ticketfly.com/event/211521)
02 April Panama City, Panama
04 April Atlanta, Georgia (http://www.variety-playhouse.com/event/uk-featuring-eddie-jobson-john-wetton-terry-bozzio-and-alex-machacek/)

I always get a little suspicious when bands announce 2 or 3 dates at a time, although it might explain the exorbitant ticket price. I don't know where they think they're going with that. There might only be about 100 people in the entire state of GA that would be willing to fork $75 to see a band that most people don't even know existed in the first place. I'm not trying to put them down, but it's just common sense. Even if they are depending on folks coming in from out of state, then what does that mean? All of the UK fans from Tennessee, Alabama and North Carolina? You can put 'em all in a the same car. At least they'll get to use the HOV lane.

enpdllp
01-31-2013, 12:48 AM
I always get a little suspicious when bands announce 2 or 3 dates at a time, although it might explain the exorbitant ticket price. I don't know where they think they're going with that. There might only be about 100 people in the entire state of GA that would be willing to fork $75 to see a band that most people don't even know existed in the first place. I'm not trying to put them down, but it's just common sense. Even if they are depending on folks coming in from out of state, then what does that mean? All of the UK fans from Tennessee, Alabama and North Carolina? You can put 'em all in a the same car. At least they'll get to use the HOV lane.

There is nothing "suspicious" about the three date announcement. The dates were added to fill the space between the cruise show and Jobson's 4 Decade tour. Those are the only UK as a quartet dates besides the cruise. Besides, UK nor Jobson has played in Atlanta or Miami since November 1979 and that was as a supporting act for Jethro Tull.

The tickets are not cheap, but I bet there are very few people that have attended any Jobson show since 2009 that will tell you that they felt they were ripped off by the high ticket price. He and whoever is in the band with him put out a great show and the songs sound as good or better than three decades ago. The same cannot be said about many other aging progressive rock bands. If the promoters signed up for the shows and the price, there is a good chance that they feel there is an audience for them. They usually know their audiences and would not take such a risk in this economy. If you feel it is too much, vote with your wallet and don't attend. I personally wish UK as a quartet with Bozzio on drums would have been the lineup for last year's tour instead of the trio. I will not pay to see them at the cruise, but I am seriously considering a trek to Miami to see the quartet with Bozzio.

80s were ok
01-31-2013, 01:07 AM
I'd pay $75 if they came back to the Philly area. I'm sure plenty of people in Atlanta will too.

meimjustalawnmower
01-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Besides, UK nor Jobson has played in Atlanta or Miami since November 1979 and that was as a supporting act for Jethro Tull.

I know. I was there. But the fact that they haven't played here in 30 years guarantees nothing.

The tickets are not cheap, but I bet there are very few people that have attended any Jobson show since 2009 that will tell you that they felt they were ripped off by the high ticket price. He and whoever is in the band with him put out a great show and the songs sound as good or better than three decades ago. The same cannot be said about many other aging progressive rock bands. If the promoters signed up for the shows and the price, there is a good chance that they feel there is an audience for them. They usually know their audiences and would not take such a risk in this economy. If you feel it is too much, vote with your wallet and don't attend. I personally wish UK as a quartet with Bozzio on drums would have been the lineup for last year's tour instead of the trio. I will not pay to see them at the cruise, but I am seriously considering a trek to Miami to see the quartet with Bozzio.

I don't discount most of what you've said. However, there's not a huge demand for prog shows down here. The Renaissance gig for April has been on sale for 3 months already and probably has even less of a chance of selling now that Dunford is gone. Ted fucking Nugent can't even sell out a glorified movie theater in Atlanta, even with of all of his gun-toting redneck high school dropout fans, because it requires driving 25 miles into the city where the negroes live. The Black Crowes just announced a new tour, but so far have decided to skip over Atlanta in favor of two dates in Nashville. All in all, prog acts fare much better in the northeast, where there's more of a demand, and less travel time between venues that are more suited to host them.