PDA

View Full Version : Baja Prog 2013 NEWS

progcd54
11-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Found this on their Facebook page...some great news:

"Friends, the moment you've patiently awaited is near. We will begin to announce on November 11th the headliners for Baja Prog 2013. We remind you that the festival will take place at the Araiza Hotel and Teatro del Estado, from April 3rd to 6th. Stay tuned! — in Mexicali, Baja California."

AWESOME!! The Araiza Hotel is very nice...especially the suites and the balcony overlooking the court...where the outdoor afternoon shows were held.

So...here's a few questions...besides "what is the line-up?":

1. Will there be afternoon bands and if so...where? I always thought they were a bit of overkill, but of course, I'm not 20 anymore...LOL!
2. When can I make reservations at the Araiza Hotel...and what will the Baja Prog rate be?
3. How much are tickets? Are they going to continue the VPP (Very Progressive Person) program? I hope they do and continue with the "general admission" approach too...no assigned seats.
4. What vendors will be attending?

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I am SO looking forward to this!!!

Oh...I forgot to mention this. What's up with the main site? If you google "Baja Prog 2013" you get this:

Baja Prog Festival www.bajaprog.org/

"This site may harm your computer."

Has anyone dared to click on it? I won't click on it...just in case.

NogbadTheBad
11-06-2012, 02:07 AM
This is one I'll be watching for news on

Jon
11-06-2012, 04:56 AM
progcd54 said: "This site may harm your computer."

Has anyone dared to click on it? I won't click on it...just in case.

I've encountered the same message and have NOT clicked.

Hunnibee
11-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I think the original website was hacked some years ago, and they never fixed it. Instead, use ".com", not ".org"

www.bajaprog.com

It hasn't been updated in years, though, so I'm not sure what is happening there.

progcd54
11-08-2012, 01:56 AM
I think the original website was hacked some years ago, and they never fixed it. Instead, use ".com", not ".org"

www.bajaprog.com

It hasn't been updated in years, though, so I'm not sure what is happening there.

There is both a ".com" and ".org" site for Baja Prog. True...the ".com" site has not been updated in years and is worthless for current news about 2013.

But recently, the ".org" site did contain a home page for the current update for Baja Prog 2013. But it's not working properly most of the time. In the past 2 months, when you click on ".org" site, you might get a Russian Google search home page...a regular USA Google home page...or lately during a normal search for Baja Prog 2013, you now get the warning message. So no doubt the "org" site has been hacked...but why it doesn't get fixed is anyone's guess.

progcd54
11-11-2012, 05:58 AM
More news...from their Facebook page:

"Friends, our official website (bajaprog.org) is undergoing maintenance. We will let you know when it's ready through our Facebook site. Have a nice day! :D"

AND...

"Hello, friends! We're getting ready for tomorrow's big announcement. We'll begin to reveal the names of the bands for Baja Prog 2013 at 12:00 p.m. (Pacific Time). Keep your eyes open. ;)"

yahonza
11-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Well, the first two acts announced, according to Facebook:

Eddie Jobson
Steve Hackett

Oy, veh! This is just the start!? Going to have to start saving for my 4th Baja Prog!!

Cheers,

Leo

P.S. Just added Three Friends!!

NogbadTheBad
11-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Way cool

Jelonek - who are they?

yahonza
11-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Way cool

Jelonek - who are they?

Wondering same thing - but I've been turned on to a lot of great bands by Baja Prog that I've never heard of. I think Jelonek was on tab for the cancelled NEARfest in 2011, to my recollection.

Stki1
11-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Way cool

Jelonek - who are they?

He was the violinist for Ankh
His first solo cd (self titled) is very good. I think he has a new one out as well

Stki1
11-11-2012, 04:57 PM
So...here's a few questions...besides "what is the line-up?":

1. Will there be afternoon bands and if so...where? I always thought they were a bit of overkill, but of course, I'm not 20 anymore...LOL!

If we go by past BP's afternoon bands would be at the hotel. The nice thing about this is you can relax by the pool and still take in the bands

4. What vendors will be attending?

Greg Walker is always there. So is Juan from Mylodon records (Chile). At other times I've seen someone from Brazil (Rock Symphony, I think), the guy from Poseidon (Japan) and some other small vendors
And of course the bands themselves. And Cast

In the past Musea used to be there but they haven't done and NA festivals in years
I'm sure I'll think of more later. I am SO looking forward to this!!!

Oh...I forgot to mention this. What's up with the main site? If you google "Baja Prog 2013" you get this:

Baja Prog Festival www.bajaprog.org/

"This site may harm your computer."

Has anyone dared to click on it? I won't click on it...just in case.[/QUOTE]

TCC
11-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Hello Friends, from Baja´s facebook:

Dear progressive friends, we are very excited to begin to announce who will play at Baja Prog 2013!

We will present four bands on this occasion; more bands will be announced as they are confirmed.

1. STEVE HACKETT

2. EDDIE JOBSON

3. THREE FRIENDS

4. JELONEK

strawberrybrick
11-11-2012, 10:11 PM
1. STEVE HACKETT

2. EDDIE JOBSON

3. THREE FRIENDS

4. JELONEK

Nearfest 2010 all over again? I wish them the best, but this is a non-starter.

nearfest
11-12-2012, 06:11 AM

there are really only so many viable 'headline' acts anymore. Maybe one can count them on both hands?? But here are 3 of the 10 or so...
and... while there is a contingent of West Coast people who came to NEARfests over the years, the majority of the attendees were Easterners who could never make it to Baja.
so I don't see the point of pooping on the Baja 2013 lineup just because the headline acts duplicate an East Coast festival from three years ago.
At least the Baja people have a good idea at what constitutes a 'headliner' for the large majority of the prog rock fan public.

-Rob

strawberrybrick
11-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Yes, Rob, you're right, maybe that's great for the West coasters, and yes there are other bands that will be annouced. But my comment has to do with the dearth of "viable" headliners. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm not a fan of Hackett or Jobson. IMHO, of course.

At least the Baja people have a good idea at what constitutes a 'headliner' for the large majority of the prog rock fan public.
-Rob
Not sure why you felt the need to take a swipe at Farfest here...

Poisoned Youth
11-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Meow.

HONDO
11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Yes, Rob, you're right, maybe that's great for the West coasters, and yes there are other bands that will be annouced. But my comment has to do with the dearth of "viable" headliners. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm not a fan of Hackett or Jobson. IMHO, of course.

Not sure why you felt the need to take a swipe at Farfest here...

Might be taking a swipe at his 'own people'.!! Ray Laboda and them with that Umphrey's McGee B.S. they tried to pull on us !:mad

strawberrybrick
11-12-2012, 09:43 AM
C'mon, I don't mean to start a bunch of shit here. There's a lot of discussion elsewhere on the choices of headliners. For the West coast-ers this probably is good news. For me, not so much. Fortunately Baja, is smart about this. Those big headliners that haven't played the West coast in ages, plus there's plenty of days to fill in the adventurous, interesting, trip-worthy bands for those that are underwhelmed with those headliners.

Steve F.
11-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Not sure why you felt the need to take a swipe at Farfest here...Would never have thought of Rob's posting that way without you saying this.

PapaJimH
11-12-2012, 10:57 AM
... Those big headliners that haven't played the West coast in ages...

Well that's not ENTIRELY true. Eddie played a CalProg show right after he played NF and then an LA Club last year. And well, Steve will be soon...

Gruno
11-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Would never have thought of Rob's posting that way without you saying this.

Agreed. I read this thread and the first time FarFest came up is when strawberrybrick brought it up.

With that said, why bring up the utter failure that is known as Farfest? :lol

Amy
11-12-2012, 10:18 PM
The bottom line is that those acts will draw, and will also help support and provide exposure for the lesser-known acts. That's what a good festival does.

I think among fans of prog, there should always be support of any prog festival, no matter the risks or what you see as lack of risks the organizers take. It doesn't mean you need to plunk down your dough and attend if you don't care for who's playing. It means that you should be glad for the fact that prog still has a way to make itself heard in a live context. It means you shake off the petty stuff and grab yourself a decent attitude, if you find yours lacking. It's all about providing the ways and means to keep this music going. No downside to that.

nearfest
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM

You did not say this was a non-starter FOR YOU. You said this was a non-starter, as in, a poor choice for Baja Prog. These selections are NO BRAINERS for Baja Prog, not a non-starter. I meant NOTHING at all about Farfest, as Steve indicated.

Why must a compliment extended in Baja's direction be interpreted as a sarcastic shot at different proposed event?

nearfest
11-12-2012, 11:10 PM
The bottom line is that those acts will draw, and will also help support and provide exposure for the lesser-known acts. That's what a good festival does.

BOOM. These acts will get more casual fans in the door and hopefully then they'll be exposed to great new stuff.

progcd54
11-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by Amy

BOOM. These acts will get more casual fans in the door and hopefully then they'll be exposed to great new stuff.

Both of these statements are so true, but so much more than can be imagined. For the uninitiated/unfamiliar with Baja Prog, if 2013 follows a similar format as in past years, the 4 day festival will have 19-20 bands total. There'll be 2 afternoon bands at the Araiza Hotel and 3 in the evening at the main venue, Teatro del Estado. This leaves a ton of room for new lesser-know acts to show their stuff. And Baja Prog will definitely have it's share of "newer" acts. And if history repeats itself, several of these will blow your socks off.

So...Baja Prog is back...may the celebration begin!!!

Camelogue
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM

I was excited about the possibility, especially to see bands that I never saw. Hackett, Jobson, and 3 Friends are not going to make me travel that far, nor could I convince a companion to do that.

simon moon
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
As much of a Hackett and Jobson fan as I am, I am slightly disappointed with these choices at Baja Prog, for a number of reasons.

1. As of late, they both tend to tour on their own and don't need a festival appearance for exposure.

2. They are taking the place of other headliner worthy bands that we are much less likely to see except for a festival appearance.

3. It will be harder to get other bands that are headliner worthy to appear, because they might feel they should be headlining, and they will get less money. Bands like Magma, Banco, After Crying, PFM, Echolyn and many others deserve to be headliners. Will there be room for bands of that quality with only one more headliner spot left?

4. Baja Prog has tended to get pretty close to selling out on its own. I am dubious that Hackett or Jobson will help sell those last 100 tickets. How many 'casual' prog listeners are willing to go to Mexicali for 4 days to see a couple of bands they are familiar with, and take a chance on 16 other bands that are unknown?

All that being said, I'll be there and love every minute of it. Just like all the previous years I went.

Great music, hanging with friends, great food.... Sounds good to me!

DaleGtr
11-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Got a Dealfind notice for a trip to Baja. This may just be for Chicagoans (or Dealfind may have similar offers for other cities). Thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.dealfind.com/travel/chicago/cerritos-beach-resorts-12/?a=6274860d2600&utm_source=travel&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2012November13&utm_campaign=chicago-cerritos-beach-resorts-12-USA

Hunnibee
11-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Ironically, I'm one of those few "westerners" who went to NF2010! :lol

Even so, I look forward to Hackett again (especially with Nad singing <3 ) and Three Friends again, since I missed them in Chicago. I am neutral where Jobson is concerned. There are many more acts to be announced, so I will keep my eye on this, cross my fingers, and hope it works out that I can attend! :D

Nearfest2
11-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure I could ever do Baja. I'd have to fly into San Diego and there are so many good breweries there, I'd never leave the county and I'd miss the festival.

Best of luck to the Baja folks!

Gerhard
11-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Keep in mind, too, that BajaProg draws a high percentage of there attendance from locals who would likely never see Hackett, Jobson or Three Friends in the US, even if they play SoCal. I would think these acts will all be a great draw for Mexican proggers, even if not as much for potential US (especially East Coast) attendees.

dmarkfie
11-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Love BajaProg. Personally for me one of the main attractions, beside the atmosphere and the wonderful people of Mexicali, is the low profile, relatively unknown acts that Baja has. Have never gone without being blown away but at least several of the South and Central American acts they book.

progcd54
11-15-2012, 07:09 AM
More NEWS...the bajaprog.org site has been updated.

There is a preliminary schedule posted for the fest and it looks like there will be a total of 16 bands...2 bands in the afternoon and 2 in the evening each day. The afternoon bands are scheduled at 12:00 noon and 2:00 PM at the Colonial Hotel...NOT at the Araiza as previously announced. The evening bands at at 6:00 and 9:30 PM at the State Theatre.

So...is the Colonial Hotel the "HOST" hotel?? I already made reservations at the Araiza, but will change that if the Araiza is not the host hotel. Plus the rates at the Colonial are much lower than the Araiza. BTW...has anyone stayed at the Colonial in past years? How is it compared to the Araiza?

NogbadTheBad
11-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Announced

Mystery
Locanda Delle Fate
New Trolls

Fox
11-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I already made reservations at the Araiza?

Same here. The Colonial has 145 single/double rooms and 5 suites. Unless they allow sleeping in the courtyard (which I'm not really up for) I don't see how 145 rooms can accommodate.

sdavmor
11-19-2012, 11:23 PM
From what I recall most Baja Prog attendees come from overseas. Japan, South America, Europe, Central America, with over half being from Latin America and Mexico. Yes there are always folks from the USA but not that many in the big scheme of things. Many of those overseas attendees will not have been to NEARfest etc in the USA so the fact that announced artists have headlined the other big-name festival should be a non-issue. They look fine to me and should drum up ticket sales. I'm more interested in the lesser known names that will be afternoon bands at the Araiza Hotel. Always some ear-opening surprises there. I plan on being at Baja Prog 2013 with my brother Gareth resurrecting our "Green Miata Baja Bound" annual tradition. The key I think is for Baja Prog to return strong. And come back again in 2014.

progcd54
11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Same here. The Colonial has 145 single/double rooms and 5 suites. Unless they allow sleeping in the courtyard (which I'm not really up for) I don't see how 145 rooms can accommodate.

Excellent point about the small size of the Colonial...too small for sure to be the host hotel. BTW, if you look at the" schedule" page on the Bajaprog.org site, the "Colonial" under "Hotel" has been removed. It's blank now. I guess we'll just have to wait for the official announcement. And if it isn't the Colonial, I'll have to cancel my reservation there. Right now I'm "inn" at BOTH the Araiza and Colonial hotels...got all my bases covered. ;)

Camelogue
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Liking the Italian announcements!

simon moon
11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Announced

Mystery
Locanda Delle Fate
New Trolls

Nice!

New Trolls were way better than I expected them to be when the played Baja Prog previously (can't remember the year). So, I'm happy to see them again.

Locanda Delle fate is a no brainer.

Mystery I've not heard before, but the lineup sounds good.

simon moon
11-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Panzerballet just announced on the Baja Prog page!

Saw these guys about 8 months ago at The Baked Potato in LA. They were amazing!

This lineup is looking pretty strong so far.

Camelogue
11-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Gryphs?
Geezer?

Any thoughts?

progeezer
11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Bob - Kay & I figured out that with all of our other planned 2013 travel, there's no way we can do either Baja or Quebec. We're already locked in to Cabo for 2 weeks in Feb, Rosfest and 2 weeks in France in May, NYC at some point during the summer and Progday in early Sept.

That said, Baja Prog has been Kay's favorite festival experience since she's been going to fests with me. I would love to see New Trolls and Mystery again, but it's the old 10 lbs. of ....in a 5 lb bag story. Can't be done.

The Colonial as opposed to the Araiza, however, will more than likely be inferior imo.

progcd54
11-24-2012, 09:54 AM
The Colonial as opposed to the Araiza, however, will more than likely be inferior imo.

Based on the room rate (which is considerably lower than the Araiza), I would have to agree.

However, at this point, here's a few things we do know:

The announcement of the "Hotel Venue" for the afternoon shows is pending for next week. When the bajaprog.org site was working, the schedule page no longer listed the Colonial as the "Hotel venue"...the hotel spot was left blank.

Ticket prices have been announced...in Spanish...in pesos.

SECCIÓN 1 AZUL
MX $2,540.00 (MX $2,500.00 Boleto + MX $40.00 Cargos (no reembolsables)

SECCIÓN 2 AMARILLO
MX $2,040.00 ( MX $2,000.00 Boleto + MX $40.00 Cargos (no reembolsables)

SECCIÓN GENERAL VERDE
MX $1,540.00 ( MX $1,500.00 Boleto + MX $40.00 Cargos (no reembolsables)

In USD, that's approx. $195.00, $157.00 and $119.00 respectively. Prices have sure gone up since the last BajaProg in 2008. Also, what is "Section 1-Azul" and "Section 2-Amarillo"...are they doing assigned seating?

The bajaprog.org and new WWW.BAJAPROGOFFICIAL.COM are both currently disabled. And neither one come up on a Google search. Thank goodness for Facebook.

Whereas I LOVE BajaProg and have attended almost all of them, I just wish they could get their act together when it comes to disseminating information. Especially after a 5 years hiatus, one would think that having a reliable website that works would be a no-brainer. They need all the advertising they can get. Plus is you announce something, make sure it's accurate...first it's was the Araiza...then it's the Colonial...now's it's "TBA". I'm not complaining, just venting and very impatient...LOL! But the line-up looks awesome...Panzerballet...HOT DAMN!

simon moon
11-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Anglagard just announced!

AncientChord
11-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Woo..OMG, just looked at the amazing line-up on the web page! Jesus, this is shaping up to be a Nearfest-West. Anglagard too? Wow PagaJ, can you lure them to a CalProg gig like you did Hackett? That would be amazing! :D

Camelogue
11-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Very interesting.
Can I?

NogbadTheBad
11-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Gran Turismo Veloce announced

Nearfest2
11-26-2012, 11:28 AM
...but it's the old 10 lbs. of ....in a 5 lb bag story.

Buy a bigger thong.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-27-2012, 02:09 AM
there are really only so many viable 'headline' acts anymore. Maybe one can count them on both hands?? But here are 3 of the 10 or so...
and... while there is a contingent of West Coast people who came to NEARfests over the years, the majority of the attendees were Easterners who could never make it to Baja.
so I don't see the point of pooping on the Baja 2013 lineup just because the headline acts duplicate an East Coast festival from three years ago.

-Robnice rebuttal and candid to boot!

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-27-2012, 02:13 AM
Love BajaProg. Personally for me one of the main attractions, beside the atmosphere and the wonderful people of Mexicali, is the low profile, relatively unknown acts that Baja has. Have never gone without being blown away but at least several of the South and Central American acts they book.

took the words outta me mouf

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Anglagard just announced!pretty much worth the price of admission right there!

Camelogue
11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
The two times I went, I was surprisingly impressed by some of the outdoor acts like Eclat, il Castillo di Alante (sp). Steve Adams, Fantasmagoria, Jacques Menache, and more.

Progchuy
11-27-2012, 03:55 PM

Not only that, even the "big acts" come down to earth and drink a beer or two with the fans. A big plus.

Camelogue
11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Any idea about hotel? and where the afternoon performances will be?

Hunnibee
12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
My "afternoon act" would be laying by the pool with a bottomless margarita! :cool

Ridge
12-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Crisalida from Chile has been announced.

NogbadTheBad
12-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Galahad announced

davidz
12-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Hotel info up now. Its at the Colonial.

Camelogue
12-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Hotel info up now. Its at the Colonial.

So the afternoon shows will be there?

davidz
12-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Yes

forever12
12-05-2012, 12:52 AM
I just booked my room for Baja Prog. I am so excited about returning to Baja again. I hope to see a lot of folks I haven't seen in a while. And yes, many of the larger acts hang out with everyone. One year, I had dinner with Pete Trawavas. This festival is great for performers as well as fans. Luckily I have been both.

NogbadTheBad
12-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Announced - The Crimson Projekct

Camelogue
12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
If anyone is going to travel from East coast, send me a PM, pretty sure I am going to go and have booked a room at Colonial.

trespass
12-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Just booked a room for 5 nights at the Colonial Hotel. Will arrive Wed afternoon, so I hope to catch the Wed night performances. May be looking for a traveling partner if the wifey won't come (not sure she can do 4 days of prog). I'll post later if I'm looking for a someone to share the ride.

Jon
12-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Does anyone understand how tickets will be sold? The website seems mysterious to me on this matter. It mentions that one must register before buying tickets, but does not seem to provide a way of "registering", whatever that means.

Ridge
12-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Cast has been added to the lineup.

progcd54
12-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Does anyone understand how tickets will be sold? The website seems mysterious to me on this matter. It mentions that one must register before buying tickets, but does not seem to provide a way of "registering", whatever that means.

I asked about the "registering" on Facebook...and received this answer:

"On Dec 15 the registration form will be enable so you can register. Thanks!"

trespass
12-13-2012, 04:26 PM

I'm wondering if this is assigned seating or not? I can't remember from the past BajaProgs if I actually had an assigned seat or not. I actually prefer it be GA based on the section you purchase (Blue, Yellow, or Green). It's four nights of concerts. I tend to not like to stay in the same place all the time. Thus I'm thinking of buying a green ticket for the balcony because I think that probably won't restrict me from the floor once everyone gets settled. Of course that depends on how full the theater is.

My #1 question: Do I need to purchase a ticket on 12/15 to get the "best seat possible" or if it's GA, and I can basically wait to purchase 'cuz there is no need to rush for a GA seat.

I'd love to hear an answer to that. Maybe on the 15th the web site will provide the answer....

Ridge
12-13-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm wondering if this is assigned seating or not?

The site says the seats are not numbered. So I assume they are sit where you like within the section you purchase the ticket for.

Nearfest2
12-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Cast has been added to the lineup.

Shocker! :)

yahonza
12-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Can anyone get the ticket link to work!?

I see a "Buy Tickets" button, but it's not an active link - I've tried clicking in a lot of different areas - such as the seating chart - no go!

Phone line is busy, what a surprise...

Thanks much for any help...

Leo

Fox
12-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Well the City Ticket webpage doesn't work nor does the phone number. Mañana en la mañana.

progcd54
12-15-2012, 01:21 PM
From Facebook...a few minutes ago:

Baja Prog Yes, an apology, we ask stay tuned we are solving the situation at this time. Thanks BP

yahonza
12-15-2012, 01:39 PM
The ticket link works now - as implied, the seats are NOT numbered - so it's GA by section.

Went ahead and got the Blue section - conversion to dollars comes out to right at US $200 each.

Mexicali here we come!!

Leo

progcd54
12-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Yahoo!! Blue section here we go...I can't wait! Mexicali or bust!!!

Stki1
12-15-2012, 01:54 PM
are you guys getting tickets online?
it keeps declining all my CC's

steve

Stki1
12-15-2012, 02:12 PM
a quick call to my CC and they took care of the problem

Viva BajaProg

steve

Fox
12-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Credit card services are declining purchase due to the sudden number of charges on the ticket site. Call your CC company and ask them to process the charge if your card gets declined. All engines, all systems...go.

yahonza
12-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes, right after my ticket purchase, I got an automated call from the Fraud Alert department of my credit card - I had to authorize the purchase after the fact.

Not only does the charge originate from Mexico (as it should), for some reason the ticket company's general category is something like "Electronic Telemarketing". That would raise a few red flags, I would think :).

Leo

Sharp
12-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes, right after my ticket purchase, I got an automated call from the Fraud Alert department of my credit card - I had to authorize the purchase after the fact.

Not only does the charge originate from Mexico (as it should), for some reason the ticket company's general category is something like "Electronic Telemarketing". That would raise a few red flags, I would think :).

Leo

Actually pretty standard procedure with purchases made by US citizens in Mexico. I was on a San Diego trip some years back and did an afternoon of shopping in Tijuana and had to review several credit card purchases with my credit card company the next day.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
12-23-2012, 02:55 AM
it would be so great if Alphonso could get Shylock at BAJA

Bake 1
12-23-2012, 08:29 AM
it would be so great if Alphonso could get Shylock at BAJA
Completely agree...Shylock would tip it for me, but we'd probably have heard by now if it was gonna happen.

trespass
01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
All. Wondering how things are progressing with the festival? How many on PE have comitted to going? I assume everyone plans to drive? Read the State Departments Advisory on Mexicali and it's "travel with caution" but doesn't say to defer all travel as it recommends for other parts of Mexico. I feel pretty good about driving over the border just because I've been to the hotel / theater many times and know that it's not a maze of roads to get there from the border. I want to drop my $$$ for a ticket but haven't yet quite done it. See Hackett is vacationing in Mexico for the holidays (not sure what part) so he must like it there, he,he, he....

Jon
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
We've got tickets for the evening concerts and our passports. We think we've made hotel reservations, but this is not at all certain. Even though my wife is fluent in Spanish and she spoke with the English-speaking hotel rep, there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion when she tried to make the arrangements. In addition, we have not received an e-mail reservation confirmation even though I followed up with an e-mail request for one. I don't want to be a pain or come across as insulting, but I'm nervous and want to be sure we actually have a place to stay while in Mexicali. Will probably call after new years to see if I can get some reassurance.

Yes, we will fly to San Diego and then drive a rental car to Mexicali. Does anyone know if US car renters are likely to have any issues with such a plan?

We're looking forward to the final band announcements and the sale of afternoon show tickets. The line-up so far looks great to us and we're very excited about attending our first-ever Baja Prog.

trespass
01-01-2013, 05:58 PM
We think we've made hotel reservations, but this is not at all certain. Even though my wife is fluent in Spanish and she spoke with the English-speaking hotel rep, there seemed to be quite a bit of confusion when she tried to make the arrangements.

Yes, we will fly to San Diego and then drive a rental car to Mexicali. Does anyone know if US car renters are likely to have any issues with such a plan?

I made reservations at the Colonial via the web and have a reservation number and an e-mail confirmation but I'm definately calling tomorrow in an attempt to confirm that the room is still guaranteed. I have a feeling these rooms may have a way of disappearing to the highest bidder as the show date gets closer ;)

I would definately call the car rental company and make sure they will allow you to take their rental car over the border. Most won't, but since it's San Diego, I would think this is a common request and they have a way to deal with it. You also want to make sure you have MEXICAN car insurance. US insurance does you no good in Mexico. It is illegal to drive a car in Mexico if you don't have certified mexican car insurance. You should check with the rental company about that too.

Since I'm taking a private vehicle over the border I can buy the insurance online for pretty cheap. May be expensive via a car rental agency.

Best of luck. It's an adventure ;)

Stevo3385
01-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Booked my Hotel today (Hotel Lucerna, my fav in the area). Applying for passport this week!

Camelogue
01-01-2013, 09:11 PM
I posted in another forum, asking if anyone wanted to share a room at Colonial. I reserved Tuesday through Saturday. I have not made plans yet nor purchased tickets. Rented car one year and bussed from San Diego the other.

Send me a PM if interested.

Bob

TCC
01-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Great news for us Ticos:

- Introvisión just announced -

https://www.facebook.com/bajaprogofficial

Jon
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Wow! What a great way to get things off to a strong start.

Stevo3385
01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
4 Day pass ordered. I hope my transaction goes through and I don't have the issues some of you had. Oh and does anyone know how we get our tickets (pass)??? Do we pick up at the event? Is it mailed? The ordering process for me was in Spanish so I'm not sure what everything said, hell who knows I may have ordered a 4 day pass to see Justin Bieber!

Anyone know how we get our 4 day pass??

trespass
01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Anyone know how we get our 4 day pass??

Per the City Ticket site: "You can pick-up your tickets purchased online in our official outlets or the box office at the day of the event"

Thus I'm guessing pick it up at will call at the theater since their "outlets" are all probably in Mexico (7-11 & OXXO). Sort of hard to tell exactly which 7-11's they are talking about (U.S. based or only specific stores in Mexico)

You did get a reciept, yes?

Stevo3385
01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Great thanks. Yes I have my transaction receipt

TCC
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Great news for us Ticos:

08​:​36​:​59
First effort from 2010: this is a great and solid record my friends!.
For those of you unfamiliar with their sound: symphonic, avant, italian, space, hammond/mellotron, spanish lirics ... .

http://introvision.bandcamp.com/

Enjoy!.

trespass
02-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Does not llok like there has been a lot of chat about this festival. I rarely get on PE but disappointed to see no talk going on what so ever about this festival. Oh well, I'm not much of a forum guy anymore.

Nice to see Alfonso's picture on the Baja Prog web site. He looks healthy and happy!

Peace out

progeezer
02-01-2013, 07:12 PM

I made reservations at the Colonial via the web and have a reservation number and an e-mail confirmation but I'm definately calling tomorrow in an attempt to confirm that the room is still guaranteed. I have a feeling these rooms may have a way of disappearing to the highest bidder as the show date gets closer ;)

I would definately call the car rental company and make sure they will allow you to take their rental car over the border. Most won't, but since it's San Diego, I would think this is a common request and they have a way to deal with it. You also want to make sure you have MEXICAN car insurance. US insurance does you no good in Mexico. It is illegal to drive a car in Mexico if you don't have certified mexican car insurance. You should check with the rental company about that too.

Since I'm taking a private vehicle over the border I can buy the insurance online for pretty cheap. May be expensive via a car rental agency.

Best of luck. It's an adventure ;)Indeed it is. We rented a car in San Diego and drove to Mexicali. Welcome to the harrowing world of Hwy 8. Just drive cautiously & you'll be fine.

IIRC, the rental company in San Diego will sell you Mexican auto insurance as well. It isn't cheap. Your own insurance should cover anything in the US, but across the border, nope. Check with your local agent before you do anything to get your own specifics.

TCC
02-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Last excellent call, from México, Ramses Luna´s group ( ex-CDC):

Luz de Riada:
http://www.luzderiada.com/

Audio/video:
http://www.luzderiada.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=98
http://www.luzderiada.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=97

T.C.

Jon
02-06-2013, 04:52 AM
Does not llok like there has been a lot of chat about this festival. I rarely get on PE but disappointed to see no talk going on what so ever about this festival. Oh well, I'm not much of a forum guy anymore.

Nice to see Alfonso's picture on the Baja Prog web site. He looks healthy and happy!

Peace out

The acts should be great from start to finish. I'm pretty amazed at the collection of talent on the schedule.

It's difficult saying which acts we're looking forward to the most because the whole festival looks so good. We've seen Panzerballet, Anglagard, The Crimson Projekct and Jobson before, but welcome the chance to see them all again. We've missed out on Hackett, Cast and Three Friends in the past, so we're looking forward to seeing them for the first time. We're always totally jazzed to hear Italian acts, and the festival has that base covered. Perhaps the rarest opportunity the festival provides is the chance to see Introvision, Luz De Riada and Jelonek, so we're expecting those acts to be highlights. Galahad and Mystery seem like solid acts, although we're not especially familiar with their work. Crisalida is the greatest unknown quantity for us, so we're looking forward to them being an exciting new "discovery". I guess that covers all the acts. Wow! Should be a great time.

Any word on when tickets for the hotel shows go on sale?

This will be our first time to the festival, and we're a bit anxious about all the travel details, but our plans seem to be coming along just fine. Because PE members have not raised many red flags, we're starting to calm down and expect that we may be fretting for no reason.

Finally got the hotel reservations confirmed. (The women Andrea spoke to seemed puzzled that I hoped for e-mail confirmation - uptight guy visits laid-back town.)

Have plane tickets to Phoenix - going to travel around in AZ rather than SD before heading to Mexico. We've passed through AZ before, but never really explored. We're looking forward to hiking, birding, seeing petroglyphs, and checking out some breweries - not as many as in SD, but how much can 2 people drink in just a few days?

Got a rental car reserved and all the insurance issues sorted out. Thanks to PEs that brought this need to our attentions.

We'd love to hear the details of other folks' plans and to get more tips about the festival and traveling in the area.

Cheers!

Progtopia
02-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Galahad and Mystery seem like solid acts, although we're not especially familiar with their work.

If you want to know more about Galahad, I just did an interview with them for my podcast. http://progtopia.podomatic.com Nice guys and very unpretentious and down-to-earth.

progcd54
02-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Any word on when tickets for the hotel shows go on sale?

Are you planning to attend all 4 days? If so, you should buy the 4 day pass. The hotal shows are included with the pass.

http://www.en.micro.cityticket.com.mx/eventos/baja-prog-2013-pass-4-days

Until the fest went on hiatus in 2008, I attended with many friends every year. Drove down from Orange County, CA. directly to Mexicali. It's a 3+ hour drive. We always stayed at the Araiza...this year the Colonial. It's much closer to the main venue which is a good thing.

I look forward to all the bands of course. But there are many fantastic restaurants on the same street as the Araiza. I'm sure we'll be hitting a few of them as we have done in the past.

TCC
02-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Perhaps the rarest opportunity the festival provides is the chance to see Introvision, Luz De Riada and Jelonek, so we're expecting those acts to be highlights.

Hello Jon: exactly!.

Regards,
Tomás.

Jon
02-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Are you planning to attend all 4 days? If so, you should buy the 4 day pass. The hotel shows are included with the pass.

I can't believe I overlooked that detail. Thanks for pointing it out.

Lots of folks are mentioning good restaurants close to the festival. If there any particulars y'all would like to share they would be much appreciated. I assumed that people were talking about Mexican restaurants, but Andrea read online that Mexicali is well-known for excellent Chinese restaurants, so maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm expecting I'll want to buy lots of stuff at the festival, but won't have much space in the luggage for the trip home. I'm thinking about bringing real crap clothing so I can throw things away after wearing them rather than taking them back on the plane. That way there will be more room for loot. I guess I could ship stuff home, but that might be overly pricey. If you notice an especially poorly-dressed fat guy wandering around, that might be me.

Hunnibee
02-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Out of curiosity, what does 2540 MX come to in US dollars? I can't go, of course, unless I can sleep in my car, which probably isn't too smart in Mexico.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
02-20-2013, 12:59 AM
200 smackeroos

Hunnibee
02-20-2013, 04:59 AM
200 smackeroos

Wow, that's a bargain for the amount of bands you're getting over four days! Enjoy it, working people.

Camelogue
02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
They call me the working man, that's what I am. and have been for 3 years and 3 months now. I have a hotel reservation but still no ticket, no room mate and no travel plans yet.

Jon
02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
no room mate ... yet

Who's up for roomin' with Camelogue? (I'm with the wife, otherwise...) This dude needs to be at Baja Prog! What say ye?!?

Stevo3385
02-25-2013, 04:56 PM
The countdown is on!

Hotel reservation...check
Tickets (4 day pass)....check
...and now the last piece of the puzzle...
Passport (arrived today)...check!!!!!!

Can't wait till Baja Prog!!

Camelogue
02-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Who's up for roomin' with Camelogue? (I'm with the wife, otherwise...) This dude needs to be at Baja Prog! What say ye?!?

Thanks for the plug man. Time is running out and without some definitive plans soon, I will give it a couple weeks before I cancel the reservation. I'm the lonely man there on the corner. I have references from Progeezer, Uncle Norm, Gryphs Also and Dalegtr.

Nearfest2
02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I have references from Progeezer, Uncle Norn, Gryphs Also and Dalegtr.

Yikes. Any credible ones? :)

jrdotcom
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Hello all.
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to attend BajaProg this year after all.
I have 2 front section 4-day passes I need to sell. Will sell for what I paid for them, not looking to make a profit.
My email is jrdotcom@gmail.com
Thanks to any who can help!

--JR

Hunnibee
03-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Oh man, wish I could pick up one of those tickets from you, JR! :meh

Rogue Elephant
03-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Any fans going to baja prog who want to split car rental (from San diego to mexicalli tues PM or wed AM) and/or room at the festival please give me a holler at Patmusichead@Yahoo.com

Fox
03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Any fans going to baja prog who want to split car rental (from San diego to mexicalli tues PM or wed AM) and/or room at the festival please give me a holler at Patmusichead@Yahoo.com

Our buddy Bob is looking for a roomy. See #105.

Ridge
03-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the plug man. Time is running out and without some definitive plans soon, I will give it a couple weeks before I cancel the reservation. I'm the lonely man there on the corner. I have references from Progeezer, Uncle Norm, Gryphs Also and Dalegtr.

Check your PMs.

rosenbach
03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Finally got the airplane reservation and the 4 days pass!

davidz
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Does anyone know what vendors will be at Baja Prog. I plan to bring some cds/lps to sell/trade.

rosenbach
03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Greg Walker is going to be there.

Jon
03-27-2013, 06:24 PM
One week until blast off!

Progchuy
03-27-2013, 10:38 PM
See you there!!!

newtrollsradio
03-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Nice!

New Trolls were way better than I expected them to be when the played Baja Prog previously (can't remember the year). So, I'm happy to see them again.

Locanda Delle fate is a no brainer.

Mystery I've not heard before, but the lineup sounds good.

Thank you sir... I hope you will like us this year even better! we're coming!! :up

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
does anyone know how to contact the BAJA folks quickly? I sent an email through the website 2 weeks ago, no reply :(

Jon
03-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Only three more days to wait. How are folks' plans coming along?

Camelogue
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Alas I will not be going. Going to sad missing 3 Italian bands. :bad

Stevo3385
03-31-2013, 11:41 PM
Can't wait. Be there on Tuesday. Plan on having a drink in my hand 30 min after checking in at the Hotel!

peetmoloko
04-01-2013, 03:32 AM
Baja Prog will be great, but i don't think I will ever be more excited about a festival than I was the day I stumbled upon the Farfest lineup. I still can't believe I almost saw Wobbler, Pulsar, SBB, Atoll, Locanda, and Cathedral in the same venue :drool

jefftiger
04-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Baja Prog will be great, but i don't think I will ever be more excited about a festival than I was the day I stumbled upon the Farfest lineup. I still can't believe I almost saw Wobbler, Pulsar, SBB, Atoll, Locanda, and Cathedral in the same venue :drool

How about the following (just noticed on the PFM website):

4/26-4/27: Club Citta (Tokyo): Maxophone, Museo Rosenbach, RDM, Formula 3, Mauro Pagani, Area (see http://clubcitta.co.jp/)

I wish that it were inexpensive to get to Tokyo from the eastern US!

NorCalKurt
04-02-2013, 11:51 AM
How about the following (just noticed on the PFM website):

4/26-4/27: Club Citta (Tokyo): Maxophone, Museo Rosenbach, RDM, Formula 3, Mauro Pagani, Area (see http://clubcitta.co.jp/)

I wish that it were inexpensive to get to Tokyo from the eastern US!

THAT MAKES TWO US!!! And I'm on the West Coast. See you tomorrow. BAJA!!!

NorCalKurt
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
I had tickets. For me it was the best line up in years.

Jon
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
This is my first Baja Prog and I'm very excited for the music to begin in a couple of hours. There was a nice Welcome to Baja Prog party last night. The people here are VERY friendly and helpful. I was a bit nervous about not knowing my way around and not speaking the language, but folks have been very patient and kind.

NorCalKurt
04-07-2013, 04:59 AM
Outstanding weekend! Keep an eye out for next year. It's on for 2014.

Camelogue
04-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Any report on the bands, especially the Italians?