PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Rainbow:The Joe Lynn Turner Years

JIF
11-05-2012, 10:43 PM
New Jersey native Joe Lynn Turner was Rainbow's third vocalist before they broke up to allow Richie and Roger to return to Deep Purple. JLT joined Rainbow in '81, replacing Graham Bonnet. This version of Rainbow has been slagged by fans for years. Even former Rainbow singer, Ronnie James Dio, called this version of Rainbow Foreigner, Jr. I brought a cheap copy of the remastered version of Straight Between The Eyes at Best Buy for $4.99. I don't think this version of Rainbow should be compared to Foreigner. They didn't rock as hard as the original Rainbow, but they still packed quite a punch. I don't recall anyone from Foreigner later joining Happy The Man. Speaking of David Rosenthal, his playing on Straight Between The Eyes reminds me of John Lord. Particularly, David's use of the Hammond Organ. It's good that in '82, David was using vintage keyboards like the Hammond, Moog, Oberheim, and clavinet. So, what do people on PE version 3.o think of Rainbow version 3.0?

dropforge
11-05-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't recall anyone from Foreigner later joining Happy The Man.

That means nothing. Foreigner's original line-up had an ex-King Crimson member.

I like pretty much everything Rainbow did.

NogbadTheBad
11-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I have a soft spot for this line up as it was the first concert I ever went to in Leeds Queens Hall. Clearly not up to the Dio years standard but not bad

Jerjo
11-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Stone Cold was one of the only tracks I really love from that era but the old cassette of Straight Between the Eyes got some working out back in the day.

Progbear
11-06-2012, 12:24 AM
I remember getting freaked out by the zombie chick in the “Stone Cold” video when I was younger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WukfC-6Gpc

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Entre 2 Zoo”-Volapük/Polyglöt

JIF
11-06-2012, 05:21 AM
That means nothing. Foreigner's original line-up had an ex-King Crimson member.

I like pretty much everything Rainbow did.Ian McDonald was underused in Foreigner.

Rael
11-06-2012, 05:26 AM
I love every incarnation of Rainbow-although I wasn't crazy about the Doogie White era. I still think "Bent Out of Shape" is one of the greatest melodic rock albums of the 1980s.

zeprogmeister
11-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Good stuff. Quality aor/hard rock.

Trane
11-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Only ever liked that one tune Street Of Dreams... It was all over once Dio left... only one good track with Bonnet as well (eyes Of The World if memory serves)

spellbound
11-06-2012, 11:54 AM
I never had a problem with Joe Lynn Turner. I liked all the incarnations of Rainbow, with the exception of Stranger In Us All, which I just never heard. They may never have topped "Stargazer," but they never sucked, IMO. Of the Turner Rainbow albums, I particularly like Bent Out Of Shape.

scags
11-06-2012, 03:28 PM
This version was OK, but not great. I ran into Joe a lot back then, and jammed with him at a bunch of parties. He was / is a nice guy.

The Fantastic Progo Rican
11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I always sing along to "Can't Let You Go" when I play it in my car :-)

Jay G
11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
I actually love this version of the band as much as the other 2 primary versions. Had the pleasure of seeing them on the last 2 tours before Blackmore reformed Purple. Here is a great picture from circa Sept or Nov 83 from the Philly Spectrum. A friend of mine was a freelance photographer at the time and used to sell photos to Hit Parader and Circus. This one never made it as Ritchie is partially obstructed. Has been hanging in my music room for years.

progaor
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I liked his stuff with Fandango. Southern rockish/ AOR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NTUoSEvPhk

Cuz
11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Not as good as the Dio years, but in my opinion unfairly maligned. Started out pretty strong with Difficult to Cure, and then got progressively weaker. Straight Between The Eyes is a fine record (but a step down from DtC), and Bent Out of Shape was OK.

I've never heard the Deep Purple album with Joe Lynn Turner singing, but I've been told it's shit.

FrippWire
11-09-2012, 11:10 PM
When it comes to Rainbow, give me Dio or give me death. No love for JLT here.

Romerovm
11-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Straight Between the Eyes and Difficult to Cure are fine records. Blackmore is great on both, specially on Difficult... Bent Out of Shape is okay.

Deano
11-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Always enjoyed JLT's Rainbow....'Jealous Lover' and 'Spotlight Kid' would definitely be in my Top 10 Rainbow tracks

The Silent Man
11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Leaving aside the Dio era, which IMO is light years in front in terms of both material and vocals, I make the Graham Bonnet and JLT eras a tie. I much prefer JLT as a vocalist over the ghastly Bonnet, but by the same token, I find the material superior for Bonnnet's sole album with the band.

After JLT joined they never did another Eyes Of The World, or even Lost In Hollywood. And while I believe that All Night Long desecrated the spirit of Stargazer with great big hobnail boots on, it assumes the mantle of rock classic compared to the hideous I Surrender - the latter surely the nadir of Blackmore's career. Yes, I include Blackmore's Night in that statement...

Romerovm
11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Always enjoyed JLT's Rainbow....'Jealous Lover' and 'Spotlight Kid' would definitely be in my Top 10 Rainbow tracks

Both are great songs indeed.

JIF
11-11-2012, 10:12 PM
When it comes to Rainbow, give me Dio or give me death. No love for JLT here.
Isn't there a better way to phrase that? Dio is dead, you know.

iguana
11-12-2012, 01:25 AM
I've never heard the Deep Purple album with Joe Lynn Turner singing, but I've been told it's shit.

if you are prepared to put away any preconceptions, you may be surprised that it's not a bad one at all. “slaves & masters” does have a few stinkers on it, but it's a nice and relaxed groove for DP – indeed they tried something new. “truth hurts” with its lovely 60s/spector vibe is one of those great lost DP tracks. and JLT, who i am normally not really a fan of, absolutely shines on this album. give it a go.

Progatron
11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Isn't there a better way to phrase that? Dio is dead, you know.

LOL, here we go, JIF 3.0...

Rael
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
if you are prepared to put away any preconceptions, you may be surprised that it's not a bad one at all. “slaves & masters” does have a few stinkers on it, but it's a nice and relaxed groove for DP – indeed they tried something new. “truth hurts” with its lovely 60s/spector vibe is one of those great lost DP tracks. and JLT, who i am normally not really a fan of, absolutely shines on this album. give it a go.

Agree that Slaves and Masters is better than its reputation would suggest. Unfortunately, most of the live shows I've seen and heard from this tour were the pits. JLT singing Ian Gillan's songs just sounds wrong.

SteveSly
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
My one and only time seeing Rainbow was on the "Straight Between The Eyes" tour with Turner at the helm. One of the loudest shows I have ever witnessed. My girfriend at the time walked out before the show was over as she could not take the volume any more. I stayed for the whole show while she went out and sat in the car.........we broke up soon after that night.

Steve Sly

Big Ears
11-17-2012, 07:14 PM
I overlooked JLT until I heard his version of Back in Black and then I realised that he could sing in any style he chose. His work with Glenn Hughes demonstrated that he could literally scream with the best of them.

BravadoNJ
11-19-2012, 08:47 AM
JLT was the guy who sounded like Lou Gramm. :cool

i wonder if Mick Jones ever considered him to replace Lou.

sotdude
11-20-2012, 09:40 AM
The JLT era is/was pretty underrated, though it doesn't hold a candle to the Dio era of the band. One of the best concerts I ever saw was Rainbow & the Scorpions at MSG on the Straight Between the Eyes tour. All three of the JLT albums are quite good, just different from what came before them. As for Joe in DP, that was a mistake in my opinion, as Ritchie basically got his way into making DP more like Rainbow. Slaves & Masters has some good songs, but it's easily the worst DP album, and the tour with Joe trying to sing the Gillan and Coverdale stuff didn't work in my opinion.

JIF
04-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Not as good as the Dio years, but in my opinion unfairly maligned. Started out pretty strong with Difficult to Cure, and then got progressively weaker. Straight Between The Eyes is a fine record (but a step down from DtC), and Bent Out of Shape was OK.

I've never heard the Deep Purple album with Joe Lynn Turner singing, but I've been told it's shit.How would you rate Difficult To Cure? Just asking, because I got that today at Best Buy for $4.99. I got it because of the cover, and who designed it. Also, I read on Wikipedia that that album cover was originally put forth as the album cover to Black Sabbath's Never Say Die.

SteveSly
04-03-2013, 11:58 PM
How would you rate Difficult To Cure? Just asking, because I got that today at Best Buy for $4.99. I got it because of the cover, and who designed it. Also, I read on Wikipedia that that album cover was originally put forth as the album cover to Black Sabbath's Never Say Die.

Who did the cover?

Steve Sly

JIF
04-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Who did the cover?

Steve SlyHipgnosis. They also did the cover for the next album Straight Between The Eyes.

GuitarGeek
04-04-2013, 02:54 AM
How would you rate Difficult To Cure? Just asking, because I got that today at Best Buy for $4.99. I got it because of the cover, and who designed it. Also, I read on Wikipedia that that album cover was originally put forth as the album cover to Black Sabbath's Never Say Die.

Since it was asked, if I remember correctly the covers to both Difficult To Cure and Never Say Die were done by Hipgnosis. I imagine they probably did a handful of rough ideas (as Storm was known for doing with Pink Floyd), presented them to the Sabbath guys, and they chose the one that was used on their cover, and then the others perhaps were pressed to service for others.

As for the album itself, I actually rate Difficult To Cure the best of the Turner era Rainbow albums. Can't Happen Here and Freedom Fighter are both cool tunes. The title piece, actually an instrumental based on the Ode To Joy movement from Beethoven's 9th symphony, is perhaps one of the better rock adaptions of classical music, mainly because instead of trying to present an entire movement, it takes the most famous melody and works into a sort of heavy metal Ventures thing. Brilliant.

And I've been in love with Vielleicht Das Nächste Mal (Maybe Next Time) ever since I first heard Blackmore use it as a prelude of sorts to Smoke On The Water when I saw the Live Between The Eyes concert on MTV way back in 1984 or whenever it was.

The other two studio albums Turner was on have their moments, I particular like Power (on Straight Between The Eyes) and Street Of Dreams (on Bent Out Of Shape, though I actually prefer the live version on Finyl Vinyl), but somehow I can't remember much about the rest of those albums. Yeah, I remember Death Alley Driver and Street Of Dreams, just because those were the singles. I remember digging the Hondo Longhorn bass that Roger Glover played in the Street Of Dreams video.

I think it's interesting to note that Rainbow covered the same two Russ Ballard songs that Head East recorded, Since You've Been Gone and I Surrender, and in both cases, Head East did them first.

Big Ears
04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
JLT has covered quite a few Purple songs on his own and other musicians' projects. I like them a lot.

ItalProgRules
04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Thoughts? The mofo ruined Rainbow. Yeah, with Blackmore's blessing and cooperation, I know.

I still hate him.

JIF
04-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Thoughts? The mofo ruined Rainbow. Yeah, with Blackmore's blessing and cooperation, I know.

I still hate him.C'mon, man. Tell us how you really feel. I place the blame totally at Richie's feet(it was his band). Joe was only the voice that Richie was looking for to get Rainbow on the radio(at least, that's what Joe said on That Metal Show).

GuitarGeek
04-04-2013, 11:43 PM
C'mon, man. Tell us how you really feel. I place the blame totally at Richie's feet(it was his band). Joe was only the voice that Richie was looking for to get Rainbow on the radio(at least, that's what Joe said on That Metal Show).

Yeah, I saw that thing on That Metal Show, and I'm inclined to believe what Joe said there. Even on Down To Earth, with Graham Bonnett on vocals, I think Ritchie was already trying to push the band into that more radio friendly direction. I mean, c'mon, you think it was a fluke that Since You've Been Gone was such a big hit? So that's not something I think anyone can blame on Joe.

Actually, come to think of it, I think there might have been a few songs on Long Live Rock N Roll that already moving in that direction.

As far as that change in direction "ruining" the band, I most wholeheartedly disagree. I think the same level quality was still there, it was just aimed in a different direction. OK, so the lyrics weren't all dungeons and dragons and fables and all that, and the band was not quite as (ahem) "heavy" as they were with Dio. So what? It was still good music.

I'll tell ya what, it was the post Dio era Rainbow that I heard first. I saw the videos for Power, Street Of Dreams, Stone Cold, All Night Long and Can't Happen Here on MTV (as well as the Live Between The Eyes concert video that I mentioned in an earlier video) way before I even knew who Ronnie James Dio was. Heck, for the most part, that was the first music I heard from Blackmore as well, because I had really only heard a little bit of Deep Purple before that. And I can't be the only person on the planet who was turned onto the band that way (or through hearing those songs on the radio or whatever).

I like the Dio era Rainbow too, but to tell you the truth I really prefer Dio with Black Sabbath. I don't know why, I just feel like he was a better fit in Sabbath for some reason. I seem to find myself reaching for The Mob Rules more often than Rainbow Rising, for instance.

SteveSly
04-05-2013, 12:16 AM
The only time I saw Rainbow live was on the “Straight Between The Eyes” tour with Turner at the helm. It was a good concert, but possibly the loudest I have ever heard in my life. It was in an 8,000 seat arena and it was so loud that you could hardly distinguish what songs they were playing at times. My girlfriend at the time actually walked out of the arena and stayed out in the lobby for the last 30 minutes because it was blasting her ear drums out. In order to not get into too much of a fight I left with her before the encore (we could hear them kicking into “Smoke On The Water” out in the parking lot). Anyway……aside from the ridiculous volume, it was a good show. Turner had a great voice albeit a bit generic.

Steve Sly

JIF
04-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I saw that thing on That Metal Show, and I'm inclined to believe what Joe said there. Even on Down To Earth, with Graham Bonnett on vocals, I think Ritchie was already trying to push the band into that more radio friendly direction. I mean, c'mon, you think it was a fluke that Since You've Been Gone was such a big hit? So that's not something I think anyone can blame on Joe.

Actually, come to think of it, I think there might have been a few songs on Long Live Rock N Roll that already moving in that direction.

As far as that change in direction "ruining" the band, I most wholeheartedly disagree. I think the same level quality was still there, it was just aimed in a different direction. OK, so the lyrics weren't all dungeons and dragons and fables and all that, and the band was not quite as (ahem) "heavy" as they were with Dio. So what? It was still good music.

I'll tell ya what, it was the post Dio era Rainbow that I heard first. I saw the videos for Power, Street Of Dreams, Stone Cold, All Night Long and Can't Happen Here on MTV (as well as the Live Between The Eyes concert video that I mentioned in an earlier video) way before I even knew who Ronnie James Dio was. Heck, for the most part, that was the first music I heard from Blackmore as well, because I had really only heard a little bit of Deep Purple before that. And I can't be the only person on the planet who was turned onto the band that way (or through hearing those songs on the radio or whatever).

I like the Dio era Rainbow too, but to tell you the truth I really prefer Dio with Black Sabbath. I don't know why, I just feel like he was a better fit in Sabbath for some reason. I seem to find myself reaching for The Mob Rules more often than Rainbow Rising, for instance.I have heard from several sources(don't know if it was mentioned when he appeared on That Metal Show), but Bonnet was hoping for material similar to the stuff with RJD. On the same TMS episode that I referred to earlier, Joe said that Rainbow was always popular in Europe. They only became popular in the U.S when he became the singer. Therefore, Americans went back to discover the early Rainbow. I, too, like Ronnie with Sabbath better. His lyrics fit better with their music. It was cool that Ronnie took over the lyric writing when he joined Sabbath, because Geezer was having some personal problem(as stated in the liner notes to the Rhino remaster of Heaven And Hell). I think that Rainbow made up in power what they lack in heaviness with Joe(if that makes any sense).

Digital_Man
04-05-2013, 12:36 AM
.we broke up soon after that night.

Not to get too personal or anything but was she pissed of that you didn't chase after her or leave with her?

SteveSly
04-05-2013, 01:13 AM
The only time I saw Rainbow live was on the “Straight Between The Eyes” tour with Turner at the helm. It was a good concert, but possibly the loudest I have ever heard in my life. It was in an 8,000 seat arena and it was so loud that you could hardly distinguish what songs they were playing at times. My girlfriend at the time actually walked out of the arena and stayed out in the lobby for the last 30 minutes because it was blasting her ear drums out. In order to not get into too much of a fight I left with her before the encore (we could hear them kicking into “Smoke On The Water” out in the parking lot). Anyway……aside from the ridiculous volume, it was a good show. Turner had a great voice albeit a bit generic.

Steve Sly

Wow.....I just realized that I already posted this on page 1........but don't remember posting it. For those of you in the insomnia thread........this is what Ambien can do to you.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
04-05-2013, 01:18 AM
.we broke up soon after that night.

Not to get too personal or anything but was she pissed of that you didn't chase after her or leave with her?

She was pissed. She was would go to concerts with me, but was not all that into music. In fact what she really liked was country, so that night she had sat through the opening act Iron Maiden (who were incredible), a 2nd act 38 Special (good, but did not really fit in) and then Rainbow with their volume blowing the roof off the place. The show had started at 7PM and by the time she walked out it was about 10:15PM, so she had stayed throuh several hours of music already. Anyway, when the main set finished and I went out to find her, she was pissed at me which is why we left before the encore started.

Steve Sly

JIF
04-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Wow.....I just realized that I already posted this on page 1........but don't remember posting it. For those of you in the insomnia thread........this is what Ambien can do to you.

Steve SlyHahaha, I'm dumb. Now Digital Man's post makes sense. Maybe your girlfriend was mad, because she liked Rainbow better with Ronnie as the singer?

SteveSly
04-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Hahaha, I'm dumb. Now Digital Man's post makes sense. Maybe your girlfriend was made, because she liked Rainbow better with Ronnie as the singer?

Yea, when I first saw his quote I did not get it either. I happened to scroll back through to page 1 and found the thing I had posted before, but I have no memory of doing it (Ambien side effect which has been discussed on the injury and insomnia threads recently). Anyway.......regarding my girlfriend, it was defenitly the volume that drove her out and not the singer.

Steve Sly

Cuz
04-05-2013, 09:19 AM

Like I said originally, I like Difficult to Cure, it's definitely the best of the JLT era. I don't like it as much as Rising or Long Live RnR, but I like it WAY more than Down to Earth. I never liked that album very much. I just revisited that a few months ago, and if anything, my opinion of it sank even further. But Difficult to Cure is great.

JIF
04-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Like I said originally, I like Difficult to Cure, it's definitely the best of the JLT era. I don't like it as much as Rising or Long Live RnR, but I like it WAY more than Down to Earth. I never liked that album very much. I just revisited that a few months ago, and if anything, my opinion of it sank even further. But Difficult to Cure is great.It's great that you like Difficult To Cure. I also agree with you that nothing beats the RJD albums, even though I don't have Long Live Rock And Roll.

JIF
04-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Since it was asked, if I remember correctly the covers to both Difficult To Cure and Never Say Die were done by Hipgnosis. I imagine they probably did a handful of rough ideas (as Storm was known for doing with Pink Floyd), presented them to the Sabbath guys, and they chose the one that was used on their cover, and then the others perhaps were pressed to service for others.

As for the album itself, I actually rate Difficult To Cure the best of the Turner era Rainbow albums. Can't Happen Here and Freedom Fighter are both cool tunes. The title piece, actually an instrumental based on the Ode To Joy movement from Beethoven's 9th symphony, is perhaps one of the better rock adaptions of classical music, mainly because instead of trying to present an entire movement, it takes the most famous melody and works into a sort of heavy metal Ventures thing. Brilliant.

And I've been in love with Vielleicht Das Nächste Mal (Maybe Next Time) ever since I first heard Blackmore use it as a prelude of sorts to Smoke On The Water when I saw the Live Between The Eyes concert on MTV way back in 1984 or whenever it was.

The other two studio albums Turner was on have their moments, I particular like Power (on Straight Between The Eyes) and Street Of Dreams (on Bent Out Of Shape, though I actually prefer the live version on Finyl Vinyl), but somehow I can't remember much about the rest of those albums. Yeah, I remember Death Alley Driver and Street Of Dreams, just because those were the singles. I remember digging the Hondo Longhorn bass that Roger Glover played in the Street Of Dreams video.

I think it's interesting to note that Rainbow covered the same two Russ Ballard songs that Head East recorded, Since You've Been Gone and I Surrender, and in both cases, Head East did them first.I like Can't Let You Go, because of the keyboard intro.

3LockBox
04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
My tape copy of Straight Between The Eyes was give to me by a guy who hated it upon first listen. I happened to like it, but never replaced it with a CD copy.

JIF
04-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Played Bent Out Of Shape, inspired by the R.I.P Storm Thorgeson thread, and I liked it. I don't get mad so many people are crying and saying that Rainbow sold out. They still rocked hard til the end.

Rael
04-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Bent Out Of Shape is one of my favorite albums of the 80s, let alone the fact that it's my favorite JLT Rainbow album. I can't praise it highly enough. Naturally Rainbow was a completely different band in every way when JLT came aboard. I'm in the minority here, but I enjoy every incarnation of Rainbow pretty equally, save for the brief 90s lineup.

JIF
04-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Bent Out Of Shape is one of my favorite albums of the 80s, let alone the fact that it's my favorite JLT Rainbow album. I can't praise it highly enough. Naturally Rainbow was a completely different band in every way when JLT came aboard. I'm in the minority here, but I enjoy every incarnation of Rainbow pretty equally, save for the brief 90s lineup.I have all of Rainbow's studio albums now, except for Long Live Rock And Roll, Down To Earth, and their last one. So, I agree with you. Btw, is Over The Rainbow still around?

Yaman Aksu
04-20-2013, 07:47 AM
The Beethoven 9th (Ode To Joy) thing they did is great on the Finyl Vinyl live album. More upbeat than its version on their Difficult To Cure studio album. You can go to the 34:50 mark at this video to check out this live version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQAEeIFY2M

JIF
04-28-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm listening to Difficult To Cure now, and I still don't get the Foreigner comparisons. Rainbow has always rocked harder than Foreigner(btw, that's not meant to slight Foreigner since I like them). I only heard echoes in Foreigner in JLT's voice(only slightly). I noticed that Don Airey uses a lot of organ on this CD. I want Maybe Next Time played at my funeral. It's such a beautiful piece of music. Would love to know what keyboards Don used on this CD.

GuitarGeek
04-29-2013, 12:52 AM
I'm listening to Difficult To Cure now, and I still don't get the Foreigner comparisons. Rainbow has always rocked harder than Foreigner(btw, that's not meant to slight Foreigner since I like them). I only heard echoes in Foreigner in JLT's voice(only slightly). I noticed that Don Airey uses a lot of organ on this CD. I want Maybe Next Time played at my funeral. It's such a beautiful piece of music. Would love to know what keyboards Don used on this CD.

Well, the video for Since You've Been Gone shows him playing a Yamaha CS-80. I imagine that was probably his main synth, or one of them anyway.

PeterG
04-29-2013, 03:46 AM
Sabbath - Ozzy
Purple - Gillan
Rainbow - Dio

End of list!

JIF
04-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Sabbath - Ozzy
Purple - Gillan
Rainbow - Dio

End of list!Are you saying you only listen to those bands with those particular lead singers?

GuitarGeek
04-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Sabbath - Ozzy
Purple - Gillan
Rainbow - Dio

End of list!

Sabbath: Dio
Rainbow: Turner
Purple: Coverdale

sotdude
04-30-2013, 04:06 PM
I always like the Turner era Rainbow stuff quite a bit, though it doesn't come close to the albums with Dio in my opinion. On a somewhat related topic, I just picked up a copy of the Fandango CD that JLT was on just prior to joining Rainbow. Pretty decent stuff, and not far removed from what that version of Rainbow sounded like.

PeterG
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Are you saying you only listen to those bands with those particular lead singers?

No.

JIF
04-30-2013, 09:23 PM
No.Then, what are you saying?

jglfan
05-01-2013, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=sotdude;94445] Fandango CD that JLT was on just prior to joining Rainbow.

Fandango was a pretty great bar band in North Jersey when I was 20 or so and used to play at a bar called Dweets North regularly, I was friends with Mark, the keyboard player (who was asked to leave when a record contract was offered to the band, and he went on to play some great fusion stuff) A couple times I brought my reel to reel to the bar and recorded their sets thru their mixer. They had some great original stuff that never made it to an album, the record company pretty much dictated the content, too bad, what was on the records was inferior. It was while Joey was recording the last Fandango album that Richie heard him singing at the studio and offered him the spot. Then he was all over MTV. Funny story, both Joey's and my wife belonged to a group of woman who called themselved ladies of the 80's and had annual labor day parties (an extension of a party a friend of mine held every year) and it was basically the only time I saw Joey anymore. One year it was the same day as the annual Giants/Jets preseason game and Joey, I and another friend decided to go to the game. I drove and paid parking, and we had nice seats in the lower section. We got tired of waiting for the beer guy so Joey offered to go get us beers since I paid for parking. While he was gone, I was tapped on the shoulder by a man with his son who apologised for interrupting us but could we tell him if that was Joe Lynn Turner? I said yes, feel free to say hi when he comes back. I turned around and my friend Glen tells me "did you see the look on that kids face? He's wondering who we are that Joe's getting us a beer!" Heh, my moment of fame. Joey did chat with the kid a bit, probably made his day.

PeterG
05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Then, what are you saying?

Sabbath - Ozzy
Purple - Gillan
Rainbow - Dio

End of list! ;)

JIF
05-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Sabbath - Ozzy
Purple - Gillan
Rainbow - Dio

End of list! ;)Still don't get it. How would you like it if I just typed nonsense on one of your threads? Then, I just kept writing the same thing over and over again? How about this:are those the singers most associated with those bands?

PeterG
05-02-2013, 03:27 AM
It isn't nonsense. Every other fan would know immediately what it means, as anyone does with any favourite or best of list. I can't believe I'm having to explain this. Don't overthink it.

JIF
08-30-2013, 03:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ1kc4pjEls
How do you all think Joe handled this Rainbow classic?

JIF
08-30-2013, 03:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9TiK6lz1Bc
Check out the intro to this song. I mentioned it before.

PeterG
08-30-2013, 04:21 AM
Sabbath: Dio
Rainbow: Turner
Purple: Coverdale

Yea, that works for me too.

JIF
08-30-2013, 06:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj-Si_3GppI
Let's get funky. I just played all three JLT Rainbow albums. I can't decide which one I like the best.

JIF
09-15-2013, 03:58 AM
Bump. I was at Amoeba Music in Hollywood not too long ago and I got Long Live Rock And Roll and Down To Earth by Rainbow. What do people think of these albums? Can't decide which era of Rainbow I like more.

Rael
09-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Bump. I was at Amoeba Music in Hollywood not too long ago and I got Long Live Rock And Roll and Down To Earth by Rainbow. What do people think of these albums? Can't decide which era of Rainbow I like more.

Those are both great recordings. I like just about any era of Rainbow as well, although I'm not too high on the "Stranger In Us All" album.

JIF
09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVqpauiq8E
I bought Down To Earth because of this song. I heard it on KLOS a few times. Cool keyboard section by Don. That's what drew my to this song. Incidentally, I bought this CD at the Amoeba in Hollywood. My brother and I were there to see Kevin Smith.

TheLoony
11-17-2013, 04:14 PM
I blame Rainbow for turning me into the outcast I am. Bought SBTE, found out the band was much older than I knew, started buying that stuff THEN I found the Deep Purple connection and became a huge DP fan in the '80's. No one I ever knew back then listened to them or, for that matter, most of the other music I listened to. I remember trading my Triumph Thunder 7 t-shirt for a Perfect Strangers shirt and thought the guy was nuts. It wasn't until around '97' that I found a friend who was as big a fan of Rainbow and DP as I was and he was a transplant from Buffalo.

One of the many reasons why I HATE Las Vegas, I would have been more accepted in almost any other city but here it was a no go. Then again, I'm an asshole, so maybe not.

I still love SBTE and the Live Between The Eyes video. They set me on a path that, while being a outcast, led me to different music than the usual '80's crap. I didn't know much more than The Beatles when I got into high school and that album and video were huge influences.

I agree with JIF, I think it was, about Maybe Next Time. That and Child In Time I'll have at my funeral, if there's anyone there to play them.

Anyone ever notice Fool for the Night(IIRC) from Bent out of Shape has a piece originally done by DP, the unreleased Slow Train from the Fireball 25'th anniversary disc?

The Dio years were still better but I'll always have a soft spot for the JLT years. JLT gets slagged a lot but I was impressed with his work with Over The Rainbow. The couple of boots I have had songs from all of the era's and he does a pretty damned good job with them all, at least to my ears. I never realized he was that good, as I never saw the band live until Stranger in us All and the Between the Eyes video only has LLRAR from the Dio years. Wasn't until I found some boots and got a copy of the live in Japan '84' video that I heard him do some older stuff.

Then again, anyone who worked on Slaves and Masters deserves to get slagged as that is truly sonic tripe.