PDA

View Full Version : Post "Like" Button

klothos
02-28-2016, 08:58 AM
Did a "Search" to see if this has been discussed - didnt find anything but excuse me if I missed it:

Many forums have a Post "Like" button that seems to cut down on threads going several more pages than it should and, therefore, alleviating the need to rehash something that was discussed in earlier pages

Just wondering if there was something like that available for this forum.If so, Id like to throw it on the suggestions pile :)

-=RTFR666=-
02-28-2016, 09:04 AM
...or perhaps the powers-that-be should include a DISLIKE button to keep at bay the usual suspects who love to go on and on ad nauseum about what they DON'T like

*cough*Bob*cough*Rufus*cough*PeterG*cough* :p

JKL2000
02-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Personally, I see no need for it. I think we get enough feedback just by seeing the number of replies a post gets. I really don't care how many people read a post and like it.

bob_32_116
02-28-2016, 10:06 AM
I dislike "Like" buttons. I consider them a form of dumbing down; they discourage actual conversation. I'd much rather someone says WHY they like a post. Or why they don't. In particular I like to see WHO is liking or disliking a post.

Some threads do seem to go on longer than they should. In many cases this seems to be due to people not bothering to read the earlier posts before they make their own post, something that always seems a little rude, as though they want to voice their own opinions but can't be bothered reading others' opinions. If the thread is many pages long then it may be impractical to read every post, but the "Search thread" is useful in trying to make sure you are not just repeating what someone else has said.

bob_32_116
02-28-2016, 10:12 AM
...or perhaps the powers-that-be should include a DISLIKE button to keep at bay the usual suspects who love to go on and on ad nauseum about what they DON'T like

*cough*Bob*cough*Rufus*cough*PeterG*cough* :p

... which would suit someone like you just fine. Throw out negative feedback to whoever you fancy without having to put your name to it.

Ever since we met on this forum you have criticised and abused me, and have ignored my requests, both in public and in private, to explain why. Just what is your problem, mate?

Zeuhlmate
02-28-2016, 10:50 AM
I dislike "Like" buttons. I consider them a form of dumbing down; they discourage actual conversation. I'd much rather someone says WHY they like a post. Or why they don't. In particular I like to see WHO is liking or disliking a post.

This.

notallwhowander
02-28-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm all for the conversation as well.

Plasmatopia
02-28-2016, 12:32 PM
I think it's not a bad idea at all. It might be possible to set it up so we could see who did the liking.

I often find someone else has already expressed about 95% of my viewpoint which makes my posting the same thing seem superfluous. And I think for me to post "me too" (or equivalent) seems like a waste of everyone's attention and thread space and would cut down on unnecessary scrolling. Those who were interested could take the time find out who liked a given post.

-=RTFR666=-
02-28-2016, 04:26 PM
... which would suit someone like you just fine. Throw out negative feedback to whoever you fancy without having to put your name to it.

Ever since we met on this forum you have criticised and abused me, and have ignored my requests, both in public and in private, to explain why. Just what is your problem, mate?

My name is Rob Adams. And I've never hidden it. And aside from the proverbial pot/kettle routine you trot out regularly? Why, I'm sure you're just a peach of a guy IRL.

ETA: Didn't you just recently write you had me on ignore? ;)

JKL2000
02-29-2016, 08:28 AM
If there was a Like button, there should also be a page that shows how many Likes each member has. Then we could compete like we did on PE 2.0 to see who had the most posts. I'm pretty sure I'd be on top!

Plasmatopia
02-29-2016, 08:33 AM
Once you received a certain number of likes you couldn't be banned for bad behavior. It'd be like money in the bank.

bob_32_116
02-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Once you received a certain number of likes you couldn't be banned for bad behavior. It'd be like money in the bank.
I don't think that would be a good idea. It would lead to friends ganging up to "like" one another's posts, and possibly to the sockpuppet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29) phenomenon.

klothos
02-29-2016, 12:13 PM
the whole idea was that you hit "Like" and the name of the person appears at the bottom of the post -- it serves as a response, especially to the poster, without taking up page space....people (myself included) have a habit of skipping over a bunch of pages to enter a conversation and the "Like" button cuts down on extra confirmation posts and aids the conversations to flow a bit better without a lot of rehashing

paythesnuka
02-29-2016, 12:41 PM
the whole idea was that you hit "Like" and the name of the person appears at the bottom of the post -- it serves as a response, especially to the poster, without taking up page space....people (myself included) have a habit of skipping over a bunch of pages to enter a conversation and the "Like" button cuts down on extra confirmation posts and aids the conversations to flow a bit better without a lot of rehashing

I think Like buttons work best in groups where there are constant replies of "This" and "+1." I don't see that happening a lot here. I think 99% of the members here want to engage in dialog, so that each post has something to add to the thread.

Don Arnold
02-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Did a "Search" to see if this has been discussed - didnt find anything but excuse me if I missed it

It's been discussed in the past, and likely several times. But imo, it's a reasonable thing to occasionally bring forward and guage opinion on.

Personally I can see where I'd use a "like" button. Some threads I can take or leave and don't come back to. Some I'll find interesting and subscribe to. Of those in the latter category, some I'll want to chime in with an opinion or comment, if/when I have the time. Others, I may only want to follow the discussion but don't feel I have anything meaningful to say. It's in these cases that I can see the benefit of a like button to express that I've read and agree with or appreciate the sentiment of what was written.

Having said this, I won't be lamenting the lack of a like button if it's not implemented.

Plasmatopia
02-29-2016, 02:54 PM
I don't think that would be a good idea. It would lead to friends ganging up to "like" one another's posts, and possibly to the sockpuppet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29) phenomenon.

I was just kidding. Bad behavior rising to a certain level should result in banning, no matter how well-liked the forum member's posts are.

JKL2000
03-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Wow, a "+1" button is getting more traction than my suggestion of posting links to the GEPR and Progressive Rock FAQ?

JKL2000
03-01-2016, 01:54 PM
How about a "You're an idiot!" button? That would make the threads flow better too!

-=RTFR666=-
03-01-2016, 02:12 PM
How about a "You're an idiot!" button? That would make the threads flow better too!

As long as the imogees don't overpopulate your pages when viewed, Jed ;)

I keed, I keed.

klothos
03-01-2016, 02:13 PM

see? a perfect post for a "Like" :D ........ my work here is done

Sunlight Caller
03-01-2016, 03:58 PM
What about resurrecting posting limits, they kept the board more varied in the old days in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-=RTFR666=-
03-01-2016, 09:36 PM
What about resurrecting posting limits, they kept the board more varied in the old days in my opinion.

For PAYING members? :O HERETIC!

Sunlight Caller
03-02-2016, 03:40 AM
Ok then charge by the post, it may slow a few down from saying the same thing, thread after thread, ad infinitum.

-=RTFR666=-
03-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Ok then charge by the post, it may slow a few down from saying the same thing, thread after thread, ad infinitum.

I'm sure for a few of these folks, getting their whine heard above the din would be worth the price of admission to them ;)

Vic2012
03-02-2016, 06:00 PM
they discourage actual conversation. I'd much rather someone says WHY they like a post. Or why they don't. In particular I like to see WHO is liking or disliking a post.

Likey :up

bob_32_116
03-03-2016, 02:20 AM
Likey :up
Why? :huh

Vic2012
03-03-2016, 04:55 AM
Why? :huh

Because I agree with you.

robdebank
03-10-2016, 10:37 PM
This is a good suggestion. Why don't you consider this?

Duncan Glenday
04-22-2016, 11:35 PM
:up

There - I just did it.

Duncan Glenday
04-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Seriously, though:

We have made a very firm decision not to do any programming on PE. We use the Vbulletin software out-of-the-box, and while we might apply hundreds of parameters etc. to customize it, there is NO PROGRAMMING.

That's how we painted ourselves into a corner with PEv2. To keep it going we needed:
- A programmer who had tons of time to spend fixing things that broke, or developing add-ons
- A hosting site that would support the very out-of-date software that had been used to write the system in the first place.

With PEv3, in theory, anyone could take it over from me - because there is no program code to be maintained.

And if the software doesn't have a like button - then PE doesn't have one. I will not write code for that feature and render the system un-updateable at some point in the future.

But if Vbullerin introduces likes as a standard feature of the software, we'll certainly consider implementing it.

Garyhead
08-20-2016, 01:04 PM
I can see both sides of this issue. There are many times I look for the "Like" button. Not because I'm lazy......but others have stated a point so eloquently. I wish I had the insight others had.....and the ability to express it so well. I would hate to be on a message board where I'm one of the brighter bulbs in the string.

So, I guess I will continue to advocate for discussion instead of just.........:up:D:meh:downX) +1