PDA

View Full Version : Man reprimanded for farting at work

firth5th
01-11-2013, 09:18 PM
True story...

Social Security Administration takes back reprimand of flatulent worker
Posted by Josh Hicks on January 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

It’s hard to keep a straight face on this one, but it’s worth mentioning as one of the strangest cases of alleged misconduct we’ve seen.
The Social Security Administration officially reprimanded an employee whom colleagues accused of continuously “passing gas and releasing an unpleasant odor” that created a “hostile work environment.”
After the Smoking Gun posted the reprimand letter online, the agency said it withdrew its disciplinary action against the flatulent worker.
“When senior management became aware of the reprimand it was immediately rescinded,” agency spokeswoman Dorothy J. Clark said in an e-mail to The federal Eye.
The Social Security Administration said it withdrew the reprimand seven days after sending the letter, which is dated Dec. 10.
The agency did not respond to questions about the status of the employee and what actions the administration has taken to address the concerns of his co-workers in the absence of a reprimand.
The letter, which came from the agency’s Office of Disability Operations, cited 60 documented instances of the worker passing gas in his office during a period of about 12 weeks.
The employee allegedly had episodes as much as nine times in one day, according to a log of the incidents included in the letter.
Smoking Gun described the employee as a 38-year-old Maryland man working at a Baltimore Social Security office. The site posted what it claims to be a picture of the worker posing with Pepé Le Pew — of all Looney Tunes Characters — at an amusement park.
The man told a supervisor in July that he would start turning on a fan after releasing bodily odors in his work space, but the manager explained that such action would only “cause the smell to spread and worsen the air quality in the module,” according to the reprimand letter.
In August, the man said he would purchase Gas X to help deal with his problem, the letter said. But the log shows he continued to release gas regularly for the next several months.
The worker provided the agency with proof of medical conditions that could prevent him from working full days at times, but the disability operations manager said: “… nothing that you have submitted has indicated you would have uncontrollable flatulence. It is my belief that you can control this condition.”
The American Federation of Government Employees declined to comment on this matter, and the union’s Local 1923, which represents Social Security workers in Baltimore, did not respond to queries.
The Washington Post

Scott Bails
01-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Wow. That stinks.

firth5th
01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Wow. That stinks.

Good thing senior management rescinded the reprimand once they caught wind of it.

Plasmatopia
01-11-2013, 10:01 PM
:rofl

Good thing he didn't try to light them with a match. He probably would have been fired.

Baribrotzer
01-11-2013, 10:06 PM
All he had to do was stop bringing his nephew to work. That fixed it - he didn't have anybody to pull his finger.

firth5th
01-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Seems like gassive aggressive behavior.

Jimmy Giant
01-11-2013, 10:24 PM
...and here's a little view into the life that is mine. I have a contract I'm expecting to come soon to work at that location. WTF???

Scott Bails
01-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I'd stock up on the Beano, Jimmy. ;)

80s were ok
01-11-2013, 10:46 PM
To be serious for a moment (if that's possible in a thread like this), if someone was farting up a storm at my job non-stop it would become a real issue. Years ago at another job, someone was hired who was from another country and he stunk like hell. Someone actually had to tell him about washing himself with soap. He was genuis engineer but didn't know about soap.

firth5th
01-11-2013, 11:09 PM
To be serious for a moment (if that's possible in a thread like this), if someone was farting up a storm at my job non-stop it would become a real issue. Years ago at another job, someone was hired who was from another country and he stunk like hell. Someone actually had to tell him about watching himself with soap. He was genuis engineer but didn't know about soap.

Oh, I'd be seriously pissed. He's a slob and doing it on purpose to to get under people's skin.

Jerjo
01-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Obviously he never learned the subtle art of "crop dusting".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crop%20dusting

nosebone
01-12-2013, 12:33 AM
Should have left his dog at home.

ronmac
01-12-2013, 12:45 AM
I hear the worker denied it.

ronmac
01-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Seriously, though, I recall the VP of HR at a company I worked for having to sit down a worker and tell him that his deliberate farting wasn't funny to his co-workers. I guess the guy was making sport of it.

walt
01-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Was his name Le Petomane?

Vic2012
01-12-2013, 07:12 AM
80s said:
Someone actually had to tell him about watching himself with soap.

Right, because the soap had a tiny camera in it so he can "watch" himself. :p

Okay that was lame.

God what a funny thread. I read about this guy fartin' up a storm at work last wekk. I figured someone would get bored and start a thread about it :lol.

sonic
01-12-2013, 07:57 AM
He must be using Amazon auto rip.

Plasmatopia
01-12-2013, 08:41 AM
My wife had a coworker who would come in and take his smelly shoes off while at his desk. He would also come back from lunch and start belching loudly. One or two of my coworkers would periodically release a silent but deadly brown cloud in the the lab and then leave. One was a PhD, so no, education doesn't bring maturity or manners.

ronmac
01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
I used to work with girl who was such a prude that she claimed she never passed gas.

Yet, she was thin. Go figure.

walt
01-12-2013, 09:51 AM
He who smelt it dealt it.

Plasmatopia
01-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Yes, Ron, you would think a girl who held all her gas in would be larger.

Jerjo
01-12-2013, 10:42 AM
There was an episode of Mythbusters that was never aired. They were tackling the myth that pretty girls don't fart. They made up some panties with a wireless mike and made Kari wear them for a day. The mike was rigged to reverberate through the speakers in the workshop. I believe that she went a good part of the day without breaking one but finally did.

Casey
01-12-2013, 10:51 AM
And when will the disability claims begin to start pouring in?

X)

Or will the person claim that his "freedom of speech" has been violated?:huh

sonic
01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Hee needs to him himself these:

Japanese Company Introduces Fart-Proof Undies
(http://www.weirdasianews.com/2012/11/15/japanese-company-introduces-fartproof-undies/)

Klonk
01-12-2013, 11:10 AM
fart = funny

firth5th
01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
fart = funny

farts = laughter

firth5th
01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1WtoFiWcs

East New York
01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
He who smelt it dealt it.

He who denied it supplied it.

Jefferson James
01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Gas giant.

Baribrotzer
01-14-2013, 03:31 PM
He who denied it supplied it.He who pulled the finger, let the stinker.

meimjustalawnmower
01-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Could be worse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VKf8hYxJbo

-=RTFR666=-
01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Da smeller's da feller...

Garyhead
01-17-2013, 09:39 PM
OK.....Al Roker pooping his pants......on PE! I guess you learn something new everyday........even if you don't want to......by the way, "It's all Fun and Games Untill Someone Shit's Their pants!"

Mythos
01-20-2013, 04:41 PM
On the brighter side, I suppose the guy who was reprimanded could have been a star on the Howard Stern show...

SteveSly
01-20-2013, 05:58 PM
My wife had a coworker who would come in and take his smelly shoes off while at his desk. He would also come back from lunch and start belching loudly. One or two of my coworkers would periodically release a silent but deadly brown cloud in the the lab and then leave. One was a PhD, so no, education doesn't bring maturity or manners.

About a year ago we hired a contract worker who was a fairly young kid. After he had worked for me for about a week, I had several colleagues come to me complaining that he "smelled bad" and that I had to do something about it. To make a long story short, it turned out that it was this kid's shoes that were causing the odor. He never took them off, this was while they were still on his feet. The shoes were so bad that people sitting on either side of him were able to smell them. Once he got a new pair of shoes the problem went away. Working in the Pharmaceutical industry there are very strict rules regarding personal hygiene, and something that I have to deal with from time to time as a Supervisor. It is never fun and usually awkward. I have never had to deal with someone with a gas problem, but I have seen just about everything else.

Steve Sly

Plasmatopia
01-20-2013, 08:30 PM
We had a problem once several years ago with a guy who couldn't control his, uh...movements. The stuff would roll down his leg and he would track shit around the building. Talk about awkward...

Scott Bails
01-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Oh, wow man. That's disgusting.

SteveSly
01-20-2013, 10:14 PM
We had a problem once several years ago with a guy who couldn't control his, uh...movements. The stuff would roll down his leg and he would track shit around the building. Talk about awkward...

Where I work, in order to enter the production area, you have to go through a gowning room where you change shoes and put on an over garment, hairnet, etc. There are no bathrooms within the production area (Pharmaceuticals), and the building is a quarter of a mile long. If someone has to go to the bathroom they have to walk from whatever production area they are working in back to the gowning room and out in order to get to the bathroom. We have had two incidents that I am aware of in the past year or so where people have had bowel related problems and not been able to make it all the way to the bathroom and the exact same thing you described happened.

Steve Sly

Plasmatopia
01-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Damn. That's gotta suck!

raconteur troubadour
01-22-2013, 02:28 PM
...and here's a little view into the life that is mine. I have a contract I'm expecting to come soon to work at that location. WTF???

Jimmy - I work at the SSA Woodlawn OPS building, if you're coming here we should hook up. Email me thru Progears if/when you get here, nothing in the real world has prepared you for this place.

Dave (in MA)
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
My mother in law used to tell the story about how the wino who always hung around the town square and public library crossed the street in front of her, and after lurching halfway across, he stopped for a couple of seconds and and then shook a dookie out the bottom of his pant leg right there in the crosswalk. I stopped using any of the upholstered chairs in the library after that...

Good times.

Plasmatopia
01-22-2013, 09:45 PM
LOL! I mean, ew!

Baribrotzer
01-22-2013, 11:35 PM
My mother in law used to tell the story about how the wino...Wow, I'll bet that dogs just loved him. They'd follow him around and snuffle his trousers with their big black noses, and their tails would go back-and-forth-and-back-and-forth-and-back-and-forth, because he had such an interesting smell...

Jerjo
01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
One of my favorite someecards:

http://data.whicdn.com/images/18983640/1321340184796_4491235_large.png

Chuck AzEee!
01-25-2013, 05:20 PM
I had one of my "Friends" (we grew up together) come by my cubicle here at work and cut a loud fart. I have two women that work on the opposite side of me and all you heard was "Oh dear" :D :lol

I'll have a nice one for in a few. ;)

Vic2012
01-25-2013, 09:29 PM
I farted several times at work today. I wadn't reprimanded but people avoided my cubicle today.

ronmac
01-26-2013, 09:14 AM
I farted several times at work today. I wadn't reprimanded but people avoided my cubicle today.

Sometimes that's a good thing.

I break wind whenever I want to at work. I even sneak outside for a buzz sometimes. Of course, I work out of my home. ;)

Vic2012
01-26-2013, 09:44 AM
I farted at the gym this morning while doing situps:cool

ronmac
01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
I farted at the gym this morning while doing situps:cool

If you're not careful, they can easily become shit-ups.

sonic
01-27-2013, 08:23 AM
A long running thread on farting ... I guess PE really has hit 'bottom'.

ronmac
01-27-2013, 10:18 AM
A long running thread on farting ... I guess PE really has hit 'bottom'.

I think it's a gas.

JKL2000
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
I worked with a guy who reeked of mothballs - I guess he wore some article of clothing stored with them. It drove everyone in the few rows of cubicles near him crazy. He didn't last long - not sure if that was the reason but it couldn't have helped. I also worked closely for years with a guy who put something horrible smelling in his hair - it smelled like vinyl. I hated it, but there was nothing I could do about it.

ronmac
01-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Man, I'm REALLY glad I work from home. I only have to deal with my own stench.

Scott Bails
01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Man, I'm REALLY glad I work from home. I only have to deal with my own stench.

We're glad you work from home, too. ;)

ronmac
01-30-2013, 09:13 AM
We're glad you work from home, too. ;)

Don't worry, Scott, you'll still have to put up with my liberal stench in our little group of Commies. Of course, I'll have to put up with yours, as well. ;)

Scott Bails
01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
No worries, bud. I know my farts infuse the air with essence of cinnamon and vanilla with a faint hint of ocean breeze.

Plasmatopia
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
... a faint hint of ocean breeze.

Read: rotting seaweed and various decaying carcasses of sea life...

Jerjo
03-23-2013, 12:17 PM
New Canadian anti-smoking ad riffing on the old Steve Martin joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8762zEOkSo

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 11:22 AM
To be serious for a moment (if that's possible in a thread like this), if someone was farting up a storm at my job non-stop it would become a real issue. Years ago at another job, someone was hired who was from another country and he stunk like hell. Someone actually had to tell him about washing himself with soap. He was genuis engineer but didn't know about soap.

we had one of those, but he was not a genius engineer. he was a sloppy red neck. I worked in a photography store at the time and dude reeked horribly. I did not say anything to him, as I had bouts of severe skin allergies that caused complaints at a previous job because of the smell of either the allergies (I could smell it myself) or the medicines to treat them (almost all topical). I am aware some diseases cause body odor as well and give such folks the benefit of the doubt-i did not like the complaints, so i don't complain. At one point, the air conditioning was down in the mall and this guy's smell was atrocious-we were all hiding in the photolab because being on the sales floor was unbearable. the district manager had to address him about it and when he asked me (i think this was before the ac incident), i said he had an odor. when asked why i never said anything, i said because i was not sure if it was medical or not. anyway, after the talk, dude smelled okay for a few days, then he skunked up the place again.

JIF
07-21-2013, 06:31 AM
He who pulled the finger, let the stinker.I've never heard of that one. Btw, my boss always gets mad when I have to go number two during work hours. When you gotta go, you gotta go. Am I right?

ronmac
07-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Maybe you should drop one on his desk.

JIF
07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Maybe you should drop one on his desk.LOL!! Good one, Ron.

Mr. Toad
07-22-2013, 05:53 PM
GOOD GOOGLEY-MOOGELY!! Thats where I work! But I did not start until May 8th so it wasn't me they are talking about.

I can sympathize with the guy. It is at least a 50 yard walk to the bathroom from our cubes and there is only one exit from this place so it is tempting to just not care and let 'em rip.

I work from 12:30 to 9:00 PM and this place empties out so when it's time for an "Air-Biscuit Flotilla" from your ol' pal Mr. Toad, I simply crank up the fan, walk to the empty area of cubes and release the air-biscuit in small amounts as I move forward down the hallway. No one will enter the danger-zone and I get relief.

This is not always the case. I am one of those people who will pollute an aisle in any store and laugh about it.

Vic2012
07-22-2013, 06:30 PM
^:lol Jesus that was funny .....:lol

ronmac
07-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Talk about a Ring of Fire!

:lol

Plasmatopia
07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Thank god for high rates of diffusion.

JKL2000
07-23-2013, 04:33 PM
I am one of those people who will pollute an aisle in any store and laugh about it.

Do you live in Canada?

Mr. Toad
07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Do you live in Canada?

I would imagine that people all over the world pull that stinky little stunt. Farting on the elevator and get off on the 2nd floor, run down the stairs and watch the people get into the fetid cube. It's all in fun and everyone loves it.

You know, I'll bet that somewhere in the mountains of Europe, in a hallway in an ancient monastery some old nun ripped a huge fart and quietly giggled when several other nuns walked through it and voiced their disgust.

Banquo
07-23-2013, 09:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzOYIVHfRds

ronmac
07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
In a semi-related story... (http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-231)

Rune Blackwings
08-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Read: rotting seaweed and various decaying carcasses of sea life...

You live in NJ too?

ronmac
08-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Am I the only one who finds it curious how this thread keeps lingering around like a, well, you know?

Rune Blackwings
08-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Am I the only one who finds it curious how this thread keeps lingering around like a, well, you know?

like a paint peeling poodle fart?

JIF
08-09-2013, 03:57 PM
like a paint peeling poodle fart?Wow, didn't expect that response from a girl.

KIPMEISTER
08-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Did anyone ever "Shart" themselves, it is when you think you have to fart and you wind up shitting yourself!

JIF
08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Did anyone ever "Shart" themselves, it is when you think you have to fart and you wind up shitting yourself!I am familiar with that term. Phillip Seymour Hoffman used that term in Along Came Polly.

Rune Blackwings
08-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Wow, didn't expect that response from a girl.

you did not know our poodle. When he was still young, I was dozing off on the sofa when suddenly there was a smell that jolted me awake with eyes watering and gasping for air. I look...there's the poodle in front of me, smiling.

JKL2000
02-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Holy crap! I had to find this thread so I could vent about two people at work - no farting involved, but it's two women who argue tooth and nail three feet away from me (in the cubicle next door). One is older, the other younger, and they have a VERY dysfunctional relationship. So they're going at it full bore right now. In a few minutes, they'll let it subside, then sort of get all chummy for a while to rebond and smooth things over. But it'll all happen again in a week or so. Even though it's work related, it's all over tiny details - I can't believe they're willing to behave that way in front of so many other people. I can't imagine being so emotional about work. And it's dry, corporate stuff, not like they're directing a play or something. It's been going on for about 15 minutes...

Baribrotzer
02-11-2014, 07:10 AM
you did not know our poodle. When he was still young, I was dozing off on the sofa when suddenly there was a smell that jolted me awake with eyes watering and gasping for air. I look...there's the poodle in front of me, smiling. Dogs do have a sense of humor. But it is very primitive - about on the level of a three-year-old's.

WHORG
02-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Did anyone ever "Shart" themselves, it is when you think you have to fart and you wind up shitting yourself!

Well - if you mean filling your long underwear with hot liquid shit after waves of unstoppable diarrhea wracking your 6 year old system . . . then yes, I have sharted.

Yves
02-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Well - if you mean filling your long underwear with hot liquid shit after waves of unstoppable diarrhea wracking your 6 year old system . . . then yes, I have sharted.

LOL!

I had the same thing happen to me when I was 7! I went to school about 15 miles from where I lived so there was no way I was going home to change. I spent the entire day in those long underwear!

Lopez
02-11-2014, 12:52 PM
I spent the entire day in those long underwear!

And no one noticed? Poor little Yves. I'm sure you were mortified. You, too, Josef.

When I was in kindergarten, one girl (it's always the chunky one) pinched a few loaves on one of the singing circle chairs. Even at 5, I felt so bad for her. The teacher was yelling and all the kids were laughing. Man!

SteveSly
02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Holy crap! I had to find this thread so I could vent about two people at work - no farting involved, but it's two women who argue tooth and nail three feet away from me (in the cubicle next door). One is older, the other younger, and they have a VERY dysfunctional relationship. So they're going at it full bore right now. In a few minutes, they'll let it subside, then sort of get all chummy for a while to rebond and smooth things over. But it'll all happen again in a week or so. Even though it's work related, it's all over tiny details - I can't believe they're willing to behave that way in front of so many other people. I can't imagine being so emotional about work. And it's dry, corporate stuff, not like they're directing a play or something. It's been going on for about 15 minutes...

I work as a production supervisor over both men and women and this is my life every day. I spend a good chunk of my time in my job just trying to keep people from killing each other, and it is usually over simple mundane things.

JIF
02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Well - if you mean filling your long underwear with hot liquid shit after waves of unstoppable diarrhea wracking your 6 year old system . . . then yes, I have sharted.From what I learned on Along Came Polly, I thought that sharting is what you think that you have to fart. So, you try to let one out, only to discover that you shit you pants instead.

JKL2000
02-11-2014, 09:31 PM
I work as a production supervisor over both men and women and this is my life every day. I spend a good chunk of my time in my job just trying to keep people from killing each other, and it is usually over simple mundane things.

I always get a bit weirded out when people get emotional at work. I've seen a few female co-workers cry, etc. I know men are from mars, women are from venus, etc., but it's work. Can't you just be bored like everyone else?

SteveSly
02-12-2014, 09:35 PM
I always get a bit weirded out when people get emotional at work. I've seen a few female co-workers cry, etc. I know men are from mars, women are from venus, etc., but it's work. Can't you just be bored like everyone else?

I have had a lot of crying in my office over the years. Mostly female, but have had some men too. It is always awkward.

Jerjo
02-12-2014, 11:02 PM
When I worked at a publishing company we had so many eccentrics we started calling them superheroes and giving them nicknames. The most legendary was this guy Phil. Phil was a 60 year old virgin, Star Trek fan who lived with Mom until she died, talked a bit like Stephen Root's character in Office Space, bathed once a week, had the social skills of well, a 60 year old virgin Star Trek fan. He also badgered and stalked any woman under the age of 30. Yeah, a real prize. About half a year ago I got this email from a former colleague who described this encounter with Phil in the men's room.

I’m about ready to leave work and go into the john to take a leak. Someone’s in one of the stalls grunting and otherwise breathing heavily. I guess, correctly it turn out, that it’s Phil. But before I know it’s him, a voice suddenly shouts GOD DAMN IT. You know Phil’s voice and manner of speaking, now think Linda Blair in the Exorcist because this was at least two octaves below his normal tone with no stutter or other affectation. Then he steps out and goes on his way as if nothing really fucking weird had just happened.

I laughed about this for three days.

ronmac
02-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Many workplace problems are caused by micro-managing bosses. They don't empower people or give them any opportunity to grow professionally. It's rooted in arrogance and distrust. It's very destructive to the entire organization. People take their frustrations out on each other. And, those little seemingly unimportant issues they squabble about are likely the only morsels of responsibility they have left.

I have a client who takes the proverbial cake. He used to be my boss. They sold me a bill of goods to take the job, then soaked me dry for two years. Once the economy tanked, I got the "you're-no-longer-an-employee-you're-now-a-subcontractor" speech. Yep, this boss, who thought he was the coolest guy on Earth, blubbered like a fucking baby when I got laid off. I mean really blubbering to the point that I was embarrassed. He's still my client, but I fight with him all the time now, because he thinks he knows everything, but displays his ignorance continuously. And, his company is paying the price of his stubbornness, whether he wants to admit it or not. His only saving grace is that his bosses are as clueless about it as he is. I actually threatened to fire HIM last Fall.

Here's a piece that I recently posted in my web site that he inspired:

True Leadership is in Knowing when to Follow

If there’s one thing I learned over the years, it’s how much I can gain by yielding to the expertise of others.

That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be challenged. Quite the contrary. Without honest debate, we can never achieve true progress, which is upward, not just forward.

But, even the best pilots need a navigator to help them avoid the turbulence of going it alone and flying blindly over new territory. The more experts you keep in your circle, the better you’ll be at determining your next great move. And, the better chance you’ll have that your crew will follow and grow with you.

It’s also important to understand that real progress usually requires that you take on some level of risk. But, don’t confuse that with following your gut. I’m referring to calculated risk that can only come from experience, data and reason.

The bottom line is that you just can’t do it all by yourself. So, the next time you’re at a crossroads, it might be best to stop, look around, decide where you really need to be, and make sure you have the humility to ask for directions.

SteveSly
02-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Here's a piece that I recently posted in my web site that he inspired:

True Leadership is in Knowing when to Follow

If there’s one thing I learned over the years, it’s how much I can gain by yielding to the expertise of others.

That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be challenged. Quite the contrary. Without honest debate, we can never achieve true progress, which is upward, not just forward.

But, even the best pilots need a navigator to help them avoid the turbulence of going it alone and flying blindly over new territory. The more experts you keep in your circle, the better you’ll be at determining your next great move. And, the better chance you’ll have that your crew will follow and grow with you.

As a “boss” myself I think your comment above is right on. You are only as good as the people who work for you. Micro-managing rarely ever works with the occasional exception of short term crisis situations. I try to give my people as much leeway as possible in a production environment. My boss is a bit of a micro-manager. He is a really nice guy, but sometimes has a hard time letting us run our own departments without getting involved himself. It can be frustrating.

The people conflict part of my world is more a symptom of the environment that they work in. It is hard to describe, but night after night, hour after hour, sometimes 7 days a week they are working in close proximity with each other and sooner or later people get on each other’s nerves. It almost can’t help but happen.

progeezer
02-13-2014, 08:41 PM
I seem to remember that when I was about 9 or 10, I was walking home from the playground and suddenly had a massive urge to purge that wouldn't wait.

I crouched down low in some bushes & was doing said purging when (and the odds of this happening were miniscule) my father walked by and saw me purging away.

Twas not a pleasant evening at my house that night.

Dave (in MA)
02-13-2014, 09:55 PM
It's always fun when you let one rip so loud that the cats jump.

JIF
02-13-2014, 11:00 PM
It's always fun when you let one rip so loud that the cats jump.It's fun to let one rip and get to blame it on the dog.

Vic2012
02-14-2014, 05:46 AM
High-larious thread :lol. Amongst all the posts about real, workplace experiences there are still posts about shitiin' and a fartin.' Ñuck Ñuck.....

It's rooted in arrogance and distrust. It's very destructive to the entire organization.

Yeah, or usually just plain old insecurity and fear. I've seen that too many times throughout my entire working life. Some people somehow become bosses who probably don't deserve it, so they either micromanage everyone (they bluff their way through actually), or they go the opposite extreme and spend their day in their office with the door locked and don't want to hear anything. They got the position becuase of politics so they play the role of "boss" the way they think they are supposed to play the role. Eventually they fall flat on their faces. It's pathetic, and it's sad to see sometimes. The boss has a boss too, so all they're doing is pleasing their boss. I think the good supervisors I've had in my entire working life I can count on one hand. It's a responsibility I wouldn't want. I'm happy being a worker bee. Let the ego driven have at it. I do my work, then I go home and forget about work until the next day. Don't get me wrong though, I think there are people who are talented ad being leaders, who actually care about the company and are fair to their employees.

ronmac
02-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah, or usually just plain old insecurity and fear.

Indeed. I had one of those, big-time. He was so insecure that he wouldn't even let me talk to the CEO, which I did all the time, anyway, because the CEO knew he was an ass, too. He was afraid I would undermine him. He was good at undermining himself, though, so he didn't need my help.

This was one of those guys who had his own rules that went contrary to common sense. Yet, he expected everyone to follow them. I usually didn't.

PeterG
02-14-2014, 09:30 AM
It's a gas, gas. gas.

JKL2000
02-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I've never Sharted, but I've had plenty of Pissgasms.

SteveSly
02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Yeah, or usually just plain old insecurity and fear. I've seen that too many times throughout my entire working life. Some people somehow become bosses who probably don't deserve it, so they either micromanage everyone (they bluff their way through actually), or they go the opposite extreme and spend their day in their office with the door locked and don't want to hear anything. They got the position becuase of politics so they play the role of "boss" the way they think they are supposed to play the role. Eventually they fall flat on their faces. It's pathetic, and it's sad to see sometimes. The boss has a boss too, so all they're doing is pleasing their boss. I think the good supervisors I've had in my entire working life I can count on one hand. It's a responsibility I wouldn't want. I'm happy being a worker bee. Let the ego driven have at it. I do my work, then I go home and forget about work until the next day. Don't get me wrong though, I think there are people who are talented ad being leaders, who actually care about the company and are fair to their employees.

If I had a time machine I don’t know if I would go back into management again. Over 26 years with my company I worked my way up from the very bottom (started as a food service worker then glorified janitor for the first 5 years) which gives me a different perspective to some of those who have gone straight into management out of school or something. I have been in management now for about 10 years, and although it has given me comfortable life, there are also things about it that I hate. Having to support policies that you don’t believe in always sucks and I have never gotten any enjoyment from disciplining or even worse firing people. The people that work for me are mostly great (I have 29 reporting to me a the moment), but as has been discussed before, keeping the peace among them can sometimes be a challenge. Just this week I had to deal with an HR issue where one employee accused another one of “stalking” the other one in the parking in the parking lot. In the end it was just a totally blown out of proportion communication thing, but it was certainly upsetting to the woman who works for me who was the accused and took a big chunk of my time. There are times where I wish I could go back to being a “worker bee” and leave the pressure behind. I did not make as much money, but I was probably a generally happier person. Of course on the other hand my career has allowed me to be able to afford to go to prog festivals, concerts, and own thousands of CD’s, so I guess life is always about tradeoffs.

Big Ears
02-27-2014, 02:48 AM
The art of good farting is to look at the person next to you and frown.

Bungalow Bill
03-03-2014, 03:40 PM
All he had to do was stop bringing his nephew to work. That fixed it - he didn't have anybody to pull his finger.

:lol

Bungalow Bill
03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
When I worked at a publishing company we had so many eccentrics we started calling them superheroes and giving them nicknames. The most legendary was this guy Phil. Phil was a 60 year old virgin, Star Trek fan who lived with Mom until she died, talked a bit like Stephen Root's character in Office Space, bathed once a week, had the social skills of well, a 60 year old virgin Star Trek fan. He also badgered and stalked any woman under the age of 30. Yeah, a real prize. About half a year ago I got this email from a former colleague who described this encounter with Phil in the men's room.

I’m about ready to leave work and go into the john to take a leak. Someone’s in one of the stalls grunting and otherwise breathing heavily. I guess, correctly it turn out, that it’s Phil. But before I know it’s him, a voice suddenly shouts GOD DAMN IT. You know Phil’s voice and manner of speaking, now think Linda Blair in the Exorcist because this was at least two octaves below his normal tone with no stutter or other affectation. Then he steps out and goes on his way as if nothing really fucking weird had just happened.

I laughed about this for three days.

Best thing I'll read today...

Mr. Toad
03-29-2014, 03:50 AM
This is an awesome thread; as are all things about farts. Well, mine anyway.