PDA

View Full Version : The NHL Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Klonk
01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
NHL is back baby!

The NFL thread here is pretty busy so I figured I'd start an NHL one for anyone to participate in now that the lockout is over. Have at it hockey fans!

Let's Go Rangers!

oilersfan
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm way more apathetic then I thought I would be...

Klonk
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
You're not the only one to feel this way, bud. I'm disappointed with what happened, but it's over with and shouldn't happen again. Just drop the puck and get this shit rollin'. Sooner the better.

Brave73
01-06-2013, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPbuCwcB-k

headcrash
01-06-2013, 02:59 PM
I've spent the last 3+ months getting more and more pissed about the lockout and convincing myself that I was going to boycott the NHL this season, right up until today. Now suddenly that's all gone and I am revved up for hockey.
"Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in." They've got me right where they want me, and they know it.

With all that being said, I can only add: Let's Go Rangers!

Klonk
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Big congrats to USA kids winning WJC by the way :up

polmico
01-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Well all right then. Looks like Brodeur will get a final season after all. Go Devils!

Progatron
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
So much for the Leafs' undefeated season.

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm way more apathetic then I thought I would be...

Yeah, me too. I thought I'd be excited, but I was surprised to find myself not really caring. I suspect that will change the second the puck drops.

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
So much for the Leafs' undefeated season.

Ah, the memories...November 3, 2011...

I don't know how upload a picture here, so click on the thumbnail.

Scott Bails
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah, me too. I thought I'd be excited, but I was surprised to find myself not really caring. I suspect that will change the second the puck drops.

This is where I'm at, too.

Of course, the fact that the Flyers are going to suck this year doesn't help.

Klonk
01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
scott 'I hate everything and everything sucks' bails

Scott Bails
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM

Nah, not really. Sorry that I come off that way.

I'm still not over the Shea Weber thing. That + the lockout have soured me.

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM

In this case Scott's right...the Flyers do suck. ;)

Scott Bails
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Hey now!

Hobo Chang Ba
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
How many games will this season be?

Scott Bails
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Nowhere near enough to make it legitimate, IMO.

ForeverAutumn
01-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Hey now!

LOL! I'm just being agreeable. :)

Plus I'm a Leafs fan...which makes me an expert on sports teams that suck.

Klonk
01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
How many games will this season be?

I believe it will be 50. 5 games vs. 4 division rivals and 3 games vs. 10 conference rivals.

I like seeing the West teams, but this should make for some intense hockey.

Klonk
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM

I've seen you mention preferring a 60 game season of which I agree. That's nowhere near 50?

I think you need a puppy.

Shadow
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Maybe the Caps can win on a shortened season.

HealthyNational
01-06-2013, 11:41 PM
In this case Scott's right...the Flyers do suck. ;)

Potvin sucks.

Hobo Chang Ba
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM

Oh I agree. Certainly deserves an * next to whoever the champion will be.

Hobo Chang Ba
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
I believe it will be 50. 5 games vs. 4 division rivals and 3 games vs. 10 conference rivals.

I like seeing the West teams, but this should make for some intense hockey.

Interesting.

Well I guess something is better than nothing. And I'm quite surprised a deal was done.

Shadow
01-07-2013, 05:47 AM
Interesting.

Well I guess something is better than nothing. And I'm quite surprised a deal was done.

They threatened to use the rinks for a tour of the ice version of Riverdance.

walt
01-07-2013, 06:37 AM
I'm not the hockey fan i used to be, but i'm happy there'll be a season.In the past few years i'd rarely watch an entire regular season game, saving my enthusiasm for the playoffs, where i'd shift into high gear.There's nothing quite like the passion, velocity and drama of playoff hockey.

I also dig watching/hearing Doc Emrick do Devils and NBC games.

Scott Bails
01-07-2013, 08:31 AM
I've seen you mention preferring a 60 game season of which I agree. That's nowhere near 50?

Well, no - it's 20% more.

And really, it's not the number of games, it's the principle that "we can still get some money out of the fans' wallets with a 50-game season!"

I'm just sick of the greed.

Again, I'll watch, I'll root, I'll cheer, etc. I'm a fan - that's what we do. But I'm sick of being taken advantage of, and I'm sick of being taken for granted.

Yves
01-07-2013, 08:32 AM
I believe it will be 48 games, starting Januray 19. I also believe that all 48 games will be played within one's conference to limit the travelling.

Go Habs! Nowhere to go but up!

MudShark22
01-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Damn you Gary Bettman!

Yves
01-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Though Bettman does deserves some of our derision, he's the mouthpiece of the owners. They locked out and got a deal they can live with...for now. TSN (Canadian equivalent of ESPN) had extensive coverage of the agreement yesterday. Essentially, the players caved on many points of contention, according to some players interviewed.

Progmatic
01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
.There's nothing quite like the passion, velocity and drama of playoff hockey.

This year they may go right into playoffs...:lol

Yves
01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
a 48-game schedule is almost like an extended Round Robin tournament. I think this is going to be very exciting!

Scott Bails
01-07-2013, 10:00 AM
One cool thing about this is that all of those "peripheral people" - the vendors, arena staff, etc. - are all back to work.

Klonk
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
a 48-game schedule is almost like an extended Round Robin tournament. I think this is going to be very exciting!

All in conference rivals too. I agree!

Hey Mudshark...I hate to add to your Islander woes, but I'm hearing Visnovsky may stay in the KHL? Is this true?? :lol

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2013, 10:48 AM

That's actually a good point. One my beefs with Hockey is that the regular season is almost irrelevant and the playoffs run way too long. They should reduce the number of teams that make it to the playoffs so that the regular season is more meaningful. Depending on how they organize this season and the playoffs, it could be quite exciting. Or...they could still try to cash in as much as they can and playoffs could run into July. :roll

Scott Bails
01-07-2013, 10:49 AM
That's actually a good point. One my beefs with Hockey is that the regular season is almost irrelevant and the playoffs run way too long. They should reduce the number of teams that make it to the playoffs so that the regular season is more meaningful. Depending on how they organize this season and the playoffs, it could be quite exciting. Or...they could still try to cash in as much as they can and playoffs could run into July. :roll

Totally agree, Esther.

And when it comes to this lot, always expect the "cash in" option.

rottersclub
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Potvin sucks.

Oh man, try listening to his monotone for three periods of "analysis". He's got to be the worst hockey analyst ever, but he's got a job for life in Ottawa because he's from here and he was a god in Junior for the 67s.

rottersclub
01-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Hey Mudshark...I hate to add to your Islander woes, but I'm hearing Visnovsky may stay in the KHL? Is this true?? :lol

Sergei Gonchar (Ottawa Senators) was threatening the same thing. The rumour here is that he will be traded back to the Penguins to finish his career there.

Yves
01-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Oh man, try listening to his monotone for three periods of "analysis". He's got to be the worst hockey analyst ever, but he's got a job for life in Ottawa because he's from here and he was a god in Junior for the 67s.

This is why I listen to hockey en français...

He cannot be worse than Pierre Maguire !

Scott Bails
01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm hearing Visnovsky may stay in the KHL? Is this true?? :lol

I'm wondering how many other guys will elect to stay in Europe.

This is why I listen to hockey en français...

He cannot be worse than Pierre Maguire !

No one is worse than Maguire.

Yves
01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Ray Ferraro comes close..

rottersclub
01-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Ray Ferraro comes close..

Ferraro comes off like Millen - this stuff is JUST SO IMPORTANT!!!

Maguire needs to take some muscle relaxants, or Prozac. He's wound up way too tight.

The problem with Potvin (aside from his sleep inducing monotone) is the fact that he does zero preparation. So all he does is improvise during the game. There's no background, nothing is planned in advance.

Hey, he's the Jazz Hockey Analyst. I take it all back :)

Klonk
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
The worst BY FAR are Jack Edwards in Boston and Bob Errey in Pitt. Every teams announcers have a bit of homer in them, but these two take it to a whole otherworldly level.

Yves
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
The French announcers are homers but they are also very quick to criticize the Habs when needed. Their audience is made up of very knowledgeable fans so they never need to dummy it down. They also have a monopoly on Habs broadcasts in French, so they don't need to pander to the audience. Colour men like Mario Tremblay and Benoit Brunet are some of the best in the biz, imo...

MudShark22
01-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Does he want to stay in the KHL? Of course he does; he wants his mama to make his bed, wipe his ass and generally tell him what he wants to hear.
Now...he will play in the NHL or he will not likely play in the KHL given the two leagues general 'respect' for contracts, etc.
http://islanderspointblank.com/news/despite-report-its-unlikely-for-lubomir-visnovsky-to-stay-with-hc-slovan-khl/

ForeverAutumn
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
A fun article from Puck Daddy with some of the player's Tweets after the negotiations were over. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/players-express-excitement-saved-nhl-season-twitter-alex-232041557--nhl.html

MudShark22
01-07-2013, 02:01 PM
One of ESPN's five teams that need a fast start to the shortened NHL season:

#3 of 5

Toronto Maple Leafs
Only one team, Toronto, has been held out of the playoffs every year since the 2004-05 lockout. The offseason created only more questions for the Leafs as critics continued to decry the team's lack of depth down the middle and the lack of NHL-caliber goaltending. If the Leafs can get out of the gate in solid fashion and build themselves a cushion, it will go a long way to ending this streak of futility.

I guess Burnside knew the Isles and fast starts are not compatible. :lol

Yves
01-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I really have no clue how the Habs will answer the bell. We have a new head coach that will hardly have any time with his players, to try and implement any sort of new philosophy, before the games start counting. Carey Price, keep us in games please!!

Hobo Chang Ba
01-07-2013, 04:08 PM
This year they may go right into playoffs...:lol

Without interconference games they essentially are. :p

Hobo Chang Ba
01-07-2013, 04:10 PM

This is a question I had as well...

Are all the people who bolted to other hockey leagues allowed to come back? (And I suppose will they is another question altogether...) By this remark it seems like an affirmative answer...which is good.

Klonk
01-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I really have no clue how the Habs will answer the bell. We have a new head coach that will hardly have any time with his players, to try and implement any sort of new philosophy, before the games start counting. Carey Price, keep us in games please!!

Yves one thing is for sure and that is you won't be pushed around anymore. The additions of Staubitz last season and more recently Prust cleared that right up. With Prust you also get an excellent gritty 3rd-4th line guy who is a very capable PKer. Will get garbage goals too. Only prob with him is he's not very big and fights anyone no matter the size :lol He's good with the mitts, but should leave the heavies to Staubitz. Fans are going to love him.

Klonk
01-07-2013, 04:26 PM
This is a question I had as well...

Are all the people who bolted to other hockey leagues allowed to come back? (And I suppose will they is another question altogether...) By this remark it seems like an affirmative answer...which is good.

Most are back or on their way. In their contracts was the fact that when NHL came back they could go.

MudShark22
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
And most leagues (e.g. Russia's KHL) have pseudo transfer agreements with the NHL that call for recognizing contracts etc. in these situations.

I wish the other leagues would take the franchises and leave the players! :lol

Yves
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Scott, I'm not sure Staubitz will be back this year. I thought I saw something on TSN yesterday where his name was in the 'departed' column. Habs definitely need some muscle.

Hopefully Cole-Pacioretty can pick up where they left off last year..

Drop the fuckin' puck already! ;)

..and where the fuck is Lino?!

Klonk
01-07-2013, 05:05 PM
He'll show up. He's probably stapling 'Space Rock Manifesto' posters on telephone poles around Toronto.

3LockBox
01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
tell me please, what is this 'hockey' of which you speak?

MudShark22
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
He'll show up. He's probably stapling 'Space Rock Manifesto' posters on telephone poles around Toronto.

:up X)

Ken
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
One cool thing about this is that all of those "peripheral people" - the vendors, arena staff, etc. - are all back to work.

you betcha !!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_K_iLiBhSztM/S3LT4mE2jLI/AAAAAAAAAI0/n12QRbEv4GE/s320/girl+shoveling+snow.jpg

Shadow
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
One cool thing about this is that all of those "peripheral people" - the vendors are all back to work.

I think I saw one yesterday at the other job this one trained him for.

http://southerngaragebands.com/bandit.jpg

Brian Griffin
01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
No hockey announcer will ever approach the great Gene Hart

BG

Scott Bails
01-08-2013, 03:32 PM

BG

QFMFT

headcrash
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM

BG

Not familiar with Gene Hart, but Marv Albert's radio calls of the Rangers games I grew up listening to were legendary.

"Kick save, and a BEAUTY!"

Marv's reputation took a serious hit a few years ago, but to many NYC area sports fans of a certain age, he's still the man.

Scott Bails
01-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Marv's reputation took a serious hit a few years ago, but to many NYC area sports fans of a certain age, he's still the man.

Even when he's wearing women's underwear. ;)

walt
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Not familiar with Gene Hart, but the Marv Albert's radio calls of the Rangers games I grew up listening to were legendary.

True dat.Loved his radio repartee with Sal"Red Light" Messina.

headcrash
01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Even when he's wearing women's underwear. ;)

As Marv might say: "Bite me!" :lol

Gladiator1634
01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Not familiar with Gene Hart, but the Marv Albert's radio calls of the Rangers games I grew up listening to were legendary.

Definitely one of if not the best for calling games on the radio and don't forget his sidekick "The Big Whistle" Bill Chadwick.

Klonk
01-08-2013, 11:16 PM
"Shoot the puck, Barry!"

walt
01-09-2013, 04:36 AM
"Shoot the puck, Barry!"

Ahhh...memories....

I can almost conjure the times Nick Fotiu squared off with Paul Holmgren............or Gary Howatt taking on anyone/everyone....

Damn i'm old.......

Klonk
01-09-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea33QfE1MeE

Brian Griffin
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Marv's an all-timer - his calls for the Knicks were also fantastic

These days you get Clyde and his equally entertaining mumbo jumbo rhymes

BG

walt
01-09-2013, 12:30 PM
The thing about Marv Albert was, if you lived in the NYC area and were into sports,Marv Albert was everywhere(so to speak).He did Knicks games, Ranger games on radio,he did football,he did boxing, he was the sports guy on Channel 4..............

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Breaking News!....The Leafs just fired Brian Burke.

Bye Bye Burkie!

No news yet on his replacement.

Klonk
01-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Seriously?! Wow! I thought that dude was there forever.

MudShark22
01-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Marv's an all-timer - his calls for the Knicks were also fantastic

These days you get Clyde and his equally entertaining mumbo jumbo rhymes

BG

Clyde was better on the radio and John Andariese wa better on TV. I know John scalped his comp Knick tix and that affected his work assignments for awhile; but still....

While I enjoy Howie Rose on the Isles telecasts (and his rotating cast of terrible color commentators); I will never get over his "matteau" call :(

MudShark22
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Breaking News!....The Leafs just fired Brian Burke.

Oh Sh!t....maybe the Mayans meant Jan 9th instead of Dec 21st!!

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Here's the Toronto Star article, http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1312635--maple-leafs-fire-gm-brian-burke-reports

There's a press conference scheduled for around now...I'll post an update if I learn anything new.

This just might be the Leafs gift to their fans to make up for the lockout. Last season fans were chanting "Fire Burkie" at games.

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Okay, here's the post press conference update. Burke will stay on as a "senior advisor" and Dave Nonis will take over the GM role. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/01/09/sp-nhl-brian-burke-toronto-maple-leafs.html

I just googled Dave Nonis. He and Burkie have been a team for a long time. I'm not feeling real hopeful. From what I can tell, Nonis doesn't have a very good track record either.

Nonis replaced Brian Burke as the Vancouver Canucks' general manager in 2004. Prior to being GM for the Canucks, he spent six years working closely with Burke as senior vice-president and director of hockey operations for the franchise. In three seasons as general manager, his most significant transaction was trading for superstar goaltender Roberto Luongo from the Florida Panthers at the conclusion of his first season as GM.

Upon the completion of the 2007–08 season, the Canucks missed the playoffs for the second time in three seasons; subsequently, on April 14, 2008, Nonis was relieved of his duties as general manager of the Canucks.[1]

Two months later, on June 20, 2008, Nonis was hired as senior advisor of hockey operations for the Anaheim Ducks,[2] reuniting with longtime boss Brian Burke, who had been General Manager of the Ducks since 2005.

On December 4, 2008, Nonis accepted the position of senior vice-president and director of hockey operations of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Nonis accepted the post and it will mark the third time he has served under Brian Burke. On May 10, 2010 he signed an extension to keep his position through the 2011-12 season.[3]

On January 9, 2013, Nonis was named general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs after Burke was relieved of his duties.[4]

rottersclub
01-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Do the Leafs get a NHL calibre goalie in exchange for booting Burkie upstairs? I didn't think so ... :(

ForeverAutumn
01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Well I'm sure that this will fuel the Luongo rumours since the Wiki article states that the only worthwhile thing Nonis did while with Vancouver was bring Luongo onto the team.

Personally, I like Reimer and think that he's a good goalie. He just needs better defence to support him.

MudShark22
01-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Nonis doesn't have a very good track record either.

Well, he was spending alot of time under Burkie's desk; so he wassn't really learning any "GM skillz" there :lol

Brad to the Bone
01-09-2013, 07:18 PM
And most leagues (e.g. Russia's KHL) have pseudo transfer agreements with the NHL that call for recognizing contracts etc. in these situations.

Actually, the KHL is the only European league which doesn't have such an agreement with the NHL.

Yves
01-10-2013, 08:18 AM

BG

Maybe in America. But up here you have to go with legends like Foster Hewitt and Danny Gallivan.

Right now, my vote for best English-language play-by-play man goes to Bob Cole.

MudShark22
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Actually, the KHL is the only European league which doesn't have such an agreement with the NHL.

They do have a Memorandum of Understanding ( :lol ) to honor the contracts; but yes, it is less formal that other league agreements.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/19597612/nhl-khl-extend-agreement-over-player-transfers-for-another-year

MudShark22
01-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Well I'm sure that this will fuel the Luongo rumours.....

Seem ESPN is also positing that Luongo is on the way....
Interesting stats about Burke's tenure in the article as well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21244/did-luongo-reluctance-cost-burke-his-job

ForeverAutumn
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Seem ESPN is also positing that Luongo is on the way....
Interesting stats about Burke's tenure in the article as well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21244/did-luongo-reluctance-cost-burke-his-job

Good article. Thanks for posting it.

rottersclub
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
I mentioned in the old PM that Burkie huffed and puffed about not trading for Luongo if only because of it's CBA-busting nature. So now that Mr. Truculence is out of the picture, I'm thinking Toronto makes a serious bid for Luongo. Problem is, he will hate the added attention of playing in Toronto whereas he would much prefer to play in relative obscurity in Florida for the Panthers.

Yves
01-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Anybody seen a schedule yet?

Klonk
01-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Schedules have been given to teams to mull over and they should be released over the weekend when CBA is all wrapped up.

ForeverAutumn
01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Anybody seen a schedule yet?

I've been told that the first Leafs game is against the Habs, in Montreal, on Jan. 19th. That should appease both you and I. :) (except that I'll be at a lacrosse game that night).

Klonk
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
DVR!

Yves
01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I figured the opener would be Habs-Leafs. It's now become a tradition.

Scott Bails
01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I know the Flyers open against the Penguins at 3:00 on the 19th.

I'm hoping Giroux throws Crosby's eggshell of a head to the boards. :bad

Klonk
01-11-2013, 03:58 PM
:lol Hockey's back baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgKCdGnVJxM

headcrash
01-12-2013, 06:46 AM
This is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNmLoQKggiI&feature=g-all-u#

oilersfan
01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Schedule has been released...

http://www.nhl.com/schedules/20122013.html

Yves
01-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks Brian!

Scott Bails
01-13-2013, 11:09 AM
That's great stuff, headcrash! :lol

rottersclub
01-14-2013, 02:01 PM
And so it begins - the Canadiens have told Scott Gomez to stay at home. He will be bought out in the summer. They don't want to risk an injury which would preclude them from buying him out, as per the new CBA. BTW, the new CBA has a provision for preferred terms to buyout 2 existing contracts. So, I wonder who else is in the same boat? Wade Redden/NYR? What other bloated contracts are going to get ripped up?

Yves
01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
There go 2 goals we won't have this season! Well... one goal, since it's only HALF a season! ;)

Scott Bails
01-14-2013, 02:05 PM
And so it begins - the Canadiens have told Scott Gomez to stay at home. He will be bought out in the summer. They don't want to risk an injury which would preclude them from buying him out, as per the new CBA. BTW, the new CBA has a provision for preferred terms to buyout 2 existing contracts. So, I wonder who else is in the same boat? Wade Redden/NYR? What other bloated contracts are going to get ripped up?

You know, I read this the other day, but it didn't make sense to me. They're paying him not to play instead of just releasing him?

MudShark22
01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
If they release him now...there is a cap penalty...if they wait to summer, no cap penalty.

Also: If he gets injured and is on injured reserve, one cannot use the amnesty buyout.

So therefore...get paid, dont play, get bought out this summer.

Scott Bails
01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Forgive my ignorance...

So, if they release him now, there would be a penalty in addition to his salary against the cap? Or, is the penalty just that they would have to carry his salary only against the cap?

It just sounds like they're screwing him over, to me.

Yves
01-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Scott Gomez is a problem that the new Habs front office inherited from the old regime. He had 2 goals and 9 assists last season, but made something like 6 million bucks (don't have the figures handy). New GM Marc Bergevin is doing the best thing he can for the team right now. Gomez will make another shitload of money to sit at home, or on the beach, or wherever. They will then buy him out and he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Doesn't sound like he's getting screwed to me. His performance since coming over has screwed the Habs!

Scott Bails
01-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Well, yeah, he's not getting screwed if he's still getting paid, sure.

But I'm sure he'd rather be released from his contract so he can play than just sitting around.

I dunno...I'm not close enough to the situation, I guess.

Yves
01-14-2013, 02:51 PM
It's probably not ideal for him, for sure; but he's been a total bust. The Habs are merely exercising a right they have. I'm sure they'd prefer him being productive and on the team. He has to understand the organization he signed up with. The Habs don't fuck around! They were last in the East last year and unless they want to get booed right out of the Bell Centre, they need to improve radically!

MudShark22
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
http://didgomezscore.com/

rottersclub
01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
If I read it correctly, Gomez gets paid $5.5 not to play this year. When they buy out the final year of his contract this summer, he still gets another $4.5, regardless of whether he signs with another club for the 2013-2014 season. So he is certainly not being "screwed over". He has a union protecting him. :)

Scott Bails
01-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Well, again, the "screwed over" thing wasn't being applied to his getting paid, but to his not being allowed to play.

Klonk
01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Yep. Redden situation is exactly the same. He will probably be asked to stay home while team swallows the cap hit. No chance of injury and then summer buyout.

Another option would be to use draft picks and prospects to try and get another team with cap space to take him. This is most likely not going to happen though because they don't want to lose the assets or future pieces.

MudShark22
01-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I read that Redden will be allowed to work a trade; but if it falls through, he is being sent home.

Klonk
01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
The league gave NY permission today to keep Redden from playing in minors if they choose to.

And Thomas, I read today that Visnovsky made an appeal to stay in KHL and the league refused. If he's forced to play with the Isles, the players are going to hate him! Not good for the team.

Progmatic
01-15-2013, 11:12 AM
I read today that Visnovsky made an appeal to stay in KHL

He just like to fly Antonov

MudShark22
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
The league gave NY permission today to keep Redden from playing in minors if they choose to.

And Thomas, I read today that Visnovsky made an appeal to stay in KHL and the league refused. If he's forced to play with the Isles, the players are going to hate him! Not good for the team.

He is bitter that the last CBA let him down re: the arbitrator's decision on his no-trade clause. If he does not report, its not likely that he will play in the NHL again.

If he does report, he should talk to Nabokov on how to ruin then resurrect your career.

rottersclub
01-15-2013, 12:11 PM
What about Rick Di Pietro? Are there any rumours on the Island about the Isles dumping his long term contract?

MudShark22
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Fan post (not me) on Visnovsky:

The Islanders need to send a representative from their alumni, Clark Gillies, to go talk to Lubomir Visnovski about being an Islander and properly representing the team and organization with its proud history and when Jethro is through with him, Visnovski will no longer be a reluctant Islander, he will be the hardest working player on the roster.

Not likely, but a fine thought nonetheless.

Re: DiPietro
The sooner that POS leaves, the better.... IMO: there is a 95% chance of a summer buyout, as long as Ricky doesn't hurt his labia or something... :roll

Scott Bails
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Anyone check out the Google doodle today?

Not sure if it works for our Canadian friends. :(

Lino
01-16-2013, 10:32 AM
IMO: there is a 95% chance of a summer buyout, as long as Ricky doesn't hurt his labia or something...>>

:lol :lol

Heyyyyyyyyyy so this is where the hackey talk is happenin.

You know, it's been crazy up here in Canada. The level of hurt feelings over this lock-out was incredible. But there I was at pool last night and the guys on the team were like little kids discussing hockey. You know, getting all pissed off at each other as they argued shit like: which goalie you would take right NOW to win a series for ya. I looked over and thought to myself "look at them, they are fucking giddy. Hockey is back. Hockey TALK is back." They haven't hit the ice yet lol. ONE guy on a team of 10 said "you guys are crazy if you watch a single game this year" He was ignored. Not even a response. Everybody knows that we SHOULG be pissed off, but when it comes to hockey, most Canadian men can't hold a grudge lol.

The only sad thing for me is that the Leafs unbeaten streak (since March 2011) will come to an end soon. Maybe. ;)

Scott Bails
01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
ONE guy on a team of 10 said "you guys are crazy if you watch a single game this year" He was ignored. Not even a response. Everybody knows that we SHOULG be pissed off, but when it comes to hockey, most Canadian men can't hold a grudge lol.

This is EXACTLY how I feel.

I'm so freaking pissed at the freaking lockout, but the newspaper now has hockey stories, they're talking about it on the radio, and I just can't wait for Saturday.

All of which makes me even more pissed at the owners for taking our game away and taking advantage of the fact that we're all gonna be there, supporting our teams, because we're freaking addicted!

rottersclub
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
The only sad thing for me is that the Leafs unbeaten streak (since March 2011) will come to an end soon. Maybe. ;)

You wish!

rottersclub
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
For all you cap geeks, capgeek.com has a new category for players that are "buried". They include the previously mentioned Scott Gomez and Wade Redden. And the illustrious, Colton Orr. :roll

And yes, google.ca gets the same doodles as the mothership's.

Scott Bails
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
And yes, google.ca gets the same doodles as the mothership's.

I wasn't sure, with you guys being a third world nation and all. ;):p

tom unbound
01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Speaking of KHL, is Jori Lehtera still with the Blues ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12aKd2DhLM

I have never seen a shot like this before ! And a penalty shot at that !!!:O

Scott Bails
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I linked that earlier. Unreal, isn't it?

Lino
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
You wish!

yea, I did mean 2012. :D Time flies when you are unbeaten in so long.

Lino
01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
And the illustrious, Colton Orr. :roll

he's in training camp right now with the Leafs. Butwarning to fantasy players... he just dislocated or broke one of his fingers yesterday. His sniping might not be up to par. I might take him in a letr round. ;)

MudShark22
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
re: DiPietro
The Isles are just being dumb(er) now. Ricky is slated to start the season as the backup when he should be 'buried' like Gomez et al., to avoid gettin hurt and f**king up the summer buyout possibility.

Isles should bring up Poulin or Nilsson and let them get seasoning behind Nabokov.

EDIT: A more frightening possibility is that to avoid placing an injured Ricky on the LTIR list; that they carry his injured ass as roster active and bring up the 3rd goalie...thereby shorting the team a healthy player for the remainder of the season so that they can still 'buyout' Ricky per the rules.

ForeverAutumn
01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
I am so weak (hangs her head in shame).

My boss shares season tickets with a group and when there are tickets that can't be used, he will offer to sell them to me...and I always bite. He offered me tickets to a game today. I can't go because I have an exam that night. But I would have jumped at them if I could have.

I hate myself. :(

Lino, my husband is right there with your pool buddies. He doesn't want to get sucked in, but it's happening. The only thing keeping him from joining his friends at the pub to watch the game on Saturday night is that we have lacrosse tickets. Otherwise he (and I) would be there wearing our jerseys and joining in the festivities.

MudShark22
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I already have Isles tix (my 5 year old son and I) for Feb 18th 1pm game vs Phlyers @ Nassau.

:lol

rottersclub
01-16-2013, 12:40 PM
yea, I did mean 2012. :D Time flies when you are unbeaten in so long.

Too much "Hawkwind", methinks.

oilersfan
01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
The NHL and NHLPA have agreed to accelerated buyouts so Gomez and Redden will be on the market (what little market there might be for them) by the end of this week, provided they clear waivers.

MudShark22
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Just read that...Hear that Wang / Garth??!!! Buy Ricky Out Now!

MudShark22
01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Scott Gomez is a problem that the new Habs front office inherited from the old regime <snip> They will then buy him out and he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Doesn't sound like he's getting screwed to me. His performance since coming over has screwed the Habs!

ESPN is reporting Gomez is also on waivers like Redden with the intention of cutting ties now before he hurts himself ;)

rottersclub
01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
You know what? I would not be completely shocked if Wade Redden ends up in Ottawa for his last hurrah. The Sens are very thin on defence this year and might be able get some mileage out of him. He left town on good terms and it was when he went to New York that his game went shockingly downhill.

Klonk
01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it was instant downhill. After signing that ridiculous contract, he just kind of went through the motions on the ice. Seemed like there was no passion left. No Ranger fan was happy with the contract, but we were optimistic about him coming here. What a disappointment. Same with obviously Gomez and Drury. Though Drury was a gamer who always gave his all untill injuries did him in. Since then Sather has made some great moves. :up

rottersclub
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
An article in the local paper this morning poo-pooed the idea of the Senators picking up a UFA veteran defenseman for now. There are a few out there, but none of them have much left in the tank with the possible exception of Chris Campoli. He doesn't have physical issues, just intellectual ones.

MudShark22
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
FYI

Key dates for the upcoming 2012-13 National Hockey League season.

January 19 - Regular season opens with 13 games, including the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings at home against the Chicago Blackhawks.

April 3 - Trade deadline

April 27 - Last day of regular season

April 30 - Stanley Cup playoffs begin

June 28 - Last possible day for Stanley Cup finals

June 28-29 - 2013 NHL Draft at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey

July 5 - Free agency opens

Yves
01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Lino, that streak ends on Saturday! Go Habs! ;)

Scott Bails
01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Heh. This is pretty funny. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/brent-burns-hilariously-terrifying-nhl-headshot-now-more-071245013--nhl.html;_ylt=AjaTRDTlJ6ZV9UwwYogEQc3Nt.d_;_ylu=X3 oDMTNraXA5Z3JiBG1pdANNaWdyYXRlZCBmcm9tIE1lZGlhSENN Q29uZmlnIC0gSENNT0wgb24gYXJ0aWNsZSByaWdodCByYWlsBH BrZwNpZC0yOTk0NDAxBHBvcwMyBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJDYXJvdXNl bE1peGVkSENNBHZlcgM3;_ylg=X3oDMTM1ZjcycTVuBGludGwD dXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDMjgzNzBkMzEtNDg3YS0zMD U2LTliNWYtMjcxNTFkYTY3ZWFiBHBzdGNhdANwb2xpdGljc3x0 aGV0aWNrZXQEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_ylv=3)

Klonk
01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Bye bye Wade!

rottersclub
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Yikes. St. Louis is really taking a flyer (no pun intended) on him.

Scott Bails
01-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Okay. Why TF does NBC think I really give a shit about the Kings getting their rings and raising their banner? :roll

Scott Bails
01-19-2013, 03:44 PM
And Crosby draws the first BS penalty of the season. :roll

oilersfan
01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
For those in the US that might be interested...NHL Center Ice is currently only 50 bucks for the entire season. Shortened season or not that's a sweet deal...

Okay. Why TF does NBC think I really give a shit about the Kings getting their rings and raising their banner? :roll

You should give your local NBC affiliate a call and tell them to let corporate know that they have to (HAVE TO) consult with you about their programming choices. I'm sure they'll get in touch with you about their NHL coverage as well as other pressing matters like whether or not to renew 'Whitney' for another season.

Scott Bails
01-19-2013, 03:55 PM
You should give your local NBC affiliate a call and tell them to let corporate know that they have to (HAVE TO) consult with you about their programming choices. I'm sure they'll get in touch with you about their NHL coverage as well as other pressing matters like whether or not to renew 'Whitney' for another season.

I can straighten that network out. ;)

If Twitter is any indication, everyone in the Philly area was irate about this. The local NBC affiliate has been advertising for a while that the Flyers open @3:00 on NBC. So, tune in at 3:00 and see the Kings raise the Cup, get their rings, raise their banner, etc. Then 3:30 rolls around, and they start showing the Kings/Blackhawks game. A quick check of any available resource online - NHL.com, Flyers website, local NBC affiliate website - all say the game will be shown at 3:00.

Finally, they break to the Flyers/Pens game at about 3:40. Great marketing there, NBC. :roll

Reginod
01-19-2013, 04:10 PM
HEY!

Why the hell aren't the fantasy stats updating?

:doh

Klonk
01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
:lol didn't take long for scottbails to start bitchin' n moanin!

rushfan
01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
What a start to the season for the Blues. 6-0 over the Wings - 4 power play goals including 2 goals by the rookie Tarasenko. Trying not to get too hyped up over one game but they looked good tonight.

Scott Bails
01-19-2013, 11:00 PM
:lol didn't take long for scottbails to start bitchin' n moanin!

Man, I was freaking out when I couldn't find that game on TV! :lol

And all that to see a 3-1 loss!

Well, the best thing about this season is that we won't have to wait long for another game.

All the frustration and angst of the lockout went away pretty quickly once the puck dropped.

Looks like the Kings were smelling their rings a little, eh?

polmico
01-20-2013, 09:58 AM
So I decided to play fantasy hockey this year. I can't stand the Yahoo! format, so I'm over at CBS Sports.

I missed the first three rounds but still wound up with a pretty good team except for goalie. Auto-pick chose Bryzgalov. I chose Brodeur later on. So I'm screwed.

A guy in my league is offering Lundqvist, Theodore and Mike Smith. I don't think I can afford to go after Lundqvist, so should I go after Smith or Theodore? Are there any guys that might get called up that I should look at? Doesn't Florida have some hotshit goalie they're supposed to call up later (which means I probably shouldn't go after Jose)?

Klonk
01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm in 3 Fantasy leagues :lol All Yahoo. I don't mind the format. Florida has Markstrom, but he's in AHL now. They will switch between Theo and Clemmensen for now. Theo you could get and give up the least. FLA is a much better team. If you could get Henrik, you'd have THE best Fantasy goalie, but you'll have to give up some heavies for sure. Smith is at the top of the stack too. Don't be so down on Brodeur man. Devils are good and he doesn't let much in. Try Voucoun from PITT. Fluery is the man there, but Vocoun should get a lot of starts.

A couple good goalies that may still be around are:

Dubnyk EDM
Lindback TB

SteveSly
01-20-2013, 12:17 PM
What a start to the season for the Blues. 6-0 over the Wings - 4 power play goals including 2 goals by the rookie Tarasenko. Trying not to get too hyped up over one game but they looked good tonight.

Yea, I can't decide if the Blues were that good, or the Red Wings were that bad. The Wings came out totally flat footed and never got into the game. It could be a long / short season if they continue to play like that. The Blues did look awsome.

Steve Sly

polmico
01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Theo you could get and give up the least. FLA is a much better team. If you could get Henrik, you'd have THE best Fantasy goalie, but you'll have to give up some heavies for sure. Smith is at the top of the stack too.

He wants wingers, and I've got quite a few. I was thinking of packaging two of these guys to try and get Smith or Henrik: St. Louis, Dustin Brown, Eberle, David Clarkson, Alfredsson. I think I'd be ok with any three of those guys starting. Voucoun is available, but the other two guys aren't.
Don't be so down on Brodeur man. Devils are good and he doesn't let much in. I've spent my entire hockey fan life admiring and cheering for Brodeur. I'm just afraid he's going to split a lot of time with Hedberg.

Klonk
01-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I think with those players you'll more likely get Smith. IMO Henrik would take more than that. I'd hold on to Clarkson. He netted 30 last year plus will get you a lot of PIMs. Scord last night actually! :lol

polmico
01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
I offered him Brown and Alfredsson for Smith. I'll see what he says. I'd be willing to give St. Louis for either of those guys if he rejects. Yeah, I don't want to give up Clarkson. He had a lot of goals last year but very little assists. I'm hoping with Parise gone, Clarkson will step up his game. Thanks for the advice, man. I've played lots of fantasy football and baseball (even won a championship last year in my baseball league), but this is the first time I'm really investing myself in fantasy hockey. There are a lot of players in the league whom I know nothing about.

Scott Bails
01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Dumb question:

The Flyers just had a goal disallowed on a very marginal "goaltender interference" call. However, the offending player did not go to the penalty box - no penalty was called.

Can someone explain how this works? The player interfered enough to disallow the goal, but not enough to call a penalty?

polmico
01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
I was wondering about that, too.

Klonk
01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
It's not a penalty because the interference was unintentional. That was a bad call though. Definitely not interference.

Klonk
01-20-2013, 01:18 PM
These goalie interference calls drive me crazy. The goalies leave the crease and they should be fair game.

Brian Griffin
01-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Blues score 6 in honor of Stan

Mint

BG

Scott Bails
01-20-2013, 01:39 PM
It's not a penalty because the interference was unintentional.

Then it should have been a goal.

The goalies leave the crease and they should be fair game.

Absolutely agree. Once they're out of the paint, they're just another player with a ton of padding. Fair game for a huge hit, IMO.

Scott Bails
01-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Goddamn, the Flyers got hosed today.

Two goals not allowed, both of which should have counted, and a horrible penalty that led to a goal.

Grrrr. :mad

ForeverAutumn
01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
These goalie interference calls drive me crazy. The goalies leave the crease and they should be fair game.

I've always thought that too.

That's how it works in Lacrosse. If the goalie leaves the crease, he's fair game. If he's in the crease, he's protected.

Brave73
01-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Give Tarasenko the Calder Cup right now!! Those two goals were amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-VzYL38NWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFMrmduic8A

Plus Jaroslav Halak got the shutout... all good! :)

Yves
01-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Why was I looking forward to hockey again??

Habs looked anemic offensively...again. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

Scott Bails
01-21-2013, 09:35 AM

I can totally relate!

ForeverAutumn
01-21-2013, 09:41 AM

Habs looked anemic offensively...again. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

I love when you speak French to me. ;)

polmico
01-21-2013, 09:42 AM
How difficult would it be too put the Jets in the NW division? Move Minnesota to the central, Nashville to the SE and there you go. That travel schedule can't be good for the team.

Gladiator1634
01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Two very lacking games from the Rangers. Not a great start. Even more disturbing was Lundqvist unjustly getting pulled in the second game of the season :huh One of the few bright spots however was how Nash uses his size and drives to the net with the puck. Hopefully he will be doing more of that and banging in many more.

Yves
01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I love when you speak French to me. ;)

I speak French all the time while watching hockey...it's just mostly cursing though!

Klonk
01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
How do you say "jiggle my nuts and call me, Thor" in French?

oilersfan
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
How difficult would it be too put the Jets in the NW division? Move Minnesota to the central, Nashville to the SE and there you go. That travel schedule can't be good for the team.

Realignment was being thrown about last season and was set to change this year but with the CBA stuff going on all that got thrown out the window by the NHLPA.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/nhl-approves-4-conference-realignment-new-playoff-format?urn=nhl,wp19063

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-nhlpa-rejected-nhl-2012-13-realignment-plan-014526165.html

Klonk
01-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Two very lacking games from the Rangers. Not a great start. Even more disturbing was Lundqvist unjustly getting pulled in the second game of the season :huh One of the few bright spots however was how Nash uses his size and drives to the net with the puck. Hopefully he will be doing more of that and banging in many more.

Torts pulled Hank because he thought it was unfair to leave him out there to the wolves. Not because of his play. He wasn't getting any help.

Yeah, lookin' pretty sloppy in the first two games. You can clearly see they need some time to mesh with new faces. Problem is, there aint much time! :O

Nash is the real deal though!

Lino
01-21-2013, 11:59 AM
The only positive I saw in the Leafs win over the Habs is that it is entirely possible that there MAY be one team worse than the Leafs this year...the Habs. :lol That in itself is indeed very satisfying, but right now, I'm pretty sure there are some AHL teams that are better than the Habs (and the Leafs for that matter). ;)
I expect the high flying Sabres to come in and wallop us tonight.

rottersclub
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM

The Ottawa sports radio guys were making fun of the Habs. They said they had more talent in the management suite than in the dressing room. Ouch!

rottersclub
01-21-2013, 12:55 PM

Blame Donald Fehr and the NHLPA. The league tried to realign the league for better travel and the union denied the request. This was in the lead up to the work stoppage. Not sure if they will try again at the next round of GM meetings.

Edit:

Ooops - didn't see Brian's reply. (Still catching up on the thread.)

rottersclub
01-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Even more disturbing was Lundqvist unjustly getting pulled in the second game of the season :huh

I think there's going to be a lot of that early on. It seems that most of the starting goalies in the league were not playing in the AHL, Europe or in Russia during the lockout. So the coaches will be more inclined to get the backup in there if the #1 is playing poorly.

Scott Bails
01-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Blame Donald Fehr and the NHLPA. The league tried to realign the league for better travel and the union denied the request. This was in the lead up to the work stoppage. Not sure if they will try again at the next round of GM meetings.

Edit:

Ooops - didn't see Brian's reply. (Still catching up on the thread.)

The players denied it because the realignment plan would have meant MORE travel.

polmico
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Heads up. Comcast here in the Lowcountry is showing a free preview of Center Ice. Hopefully it'll be like my free preview of Showtime and never expire. Isles and Lightning for a little matinee hockey today.

Scott Bails
01-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Cool.

oilersfan
01-21-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/return-of-nhl-season-reignites-exciting-sidney-cro,30971/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=standard-post:headline:default

polmico
01-21-2013, 07:05 PM
A hockey player with MLS?

Did y'all know about this?

I was watching NHL Network and heard them casually mention it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/josh-harding-inspires-minnesota-wild-shutout-first-game-042634247--nhl.html

Klonk
01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Yes that is pretty cool. I actually picked him up in one of my Leagues. Should have mentioned him to you earlier. Backstrom is coming off an ankle injury and will probably get most of the work but Harding will get his share.

Scott Bails
01-21-2013, 07:28 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/josh-harding-inspires-minnesota-wild-shutout-first-game-042634247--nhl.html

Just heard about this today, too. Amazing, and very admirable.

polmico
01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Should have mentioned him to you earlier.

I went and picked up the Leafs' Scrivens. Back-to-back starts is a good sign, right?

ForeverAutumn
01-21-2013, 08:15 PM

Wow! That's a tough pill to swallow for any young person, but most people can continue to work for a long time even with MS (we have two people in our company with MS, a young girl in the early stages and a guy in his 60's who is in a wheelchair). But for an athlete it's a whole other story. Careers end early for a lot of reasons, but knowing in advance that it could happen must really suck. I hope that he can continue to play strong for a long time to come.

MudShark22
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Isles make Devs look like Stanley Cup champs in the Game 1 loss; then in Game 2, they were trashing the Lightning 4-0 before the team apparently decided that winning comfortably is too fucking boring and let in three goals in period 3.

Now onto the 2nd worse team in the league (per Lino). Should be a cakewalk for the Isles! ;)

Yves
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Panthers coming into town tonight. They've often gotten the better of the Habs. Montreal plays a lot of early season home games, so they better gel fairly quickly (not that I expect that to happen, mind you)...

HealthyNational
01-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Epic AHL fight Saturday -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mEk_OfLWg

ForeverAutumn
01-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Last night's ceremonial puck drop from the International Space Station. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaJY1bDmFY

polmico
01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=HealthyNational;39039]Epic AHL fight Saturday -

Goalie fight and pink sweaters! Rock star!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mEk_OfLWg

polmico
01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Devils looking good tonight. Two goals on three shots. Back to back penalties killed. Not too shabby.

Klonk
01-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Tempers are running high now too. :up

Speaking of which, there have been an awful lot of fights in these few games so far.

Yves
01-23-2013, 08:02 AM
I think the Flyers need to fire Andy Reid!

Scott Bails
01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
I think the Flyers need to fire Andy Reid!

:up

MudShark22
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Tempers are running high now too. :up

Speaking of which, there have been an awful lot of fights in these few games so far.

Isles / Lightning had TWO fights on the opening faceoff and on the puck re-drop; another fight broken up immediately.

Yves
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Even the Habs are getting physical, to paraphrase Olivia Newton-John. Prust in the opener (you're right Klonk, I will like this guy), and White yesterday jumped a guy for hitting Jorges in the back along the boards. Habs had to kill off a major because of it but I like the message it sent. Good effort all around last night. Habs out-hit them about 3 to 1 and seemed to be on the puck first almost all night. They'll need to play at that level all year round to hope to crack the top 8.

rottersclub
01-23-2013, 03:12 PM
OK, here's the news from Ottawa:

2 games - 2 regulation wins
8 goals scored - 1 allowed (on the PP)

Leading scorer - Kyle Turris with 3 goals. He put on about 10-12 pounds of muscle over the summer and seems to be stronger with the puck and he's playing with a ton of confidence. His best friend from BC junior hockey is on the team - defenseman Patrick Wiercioch - and he's looking pretty good out there too. He set Turris up for a PP goal with a sweet move along the blueline.

Goaltender of the future - Robin Lehner (the real "Monster", not that sham ex-Leaf guy) - was sent down to the AHL where he will be one of the starting goalies in the All-Star game. Management all but said that he will assume the #1 role at some point - probably next season - unless current #1 Craig Anderson puts up Vezina-like numbers.

Rookie Jacob Silfverberg got his first NHL goal on Monday night. He was MVP of the Swedish Elite league last year and was playoff MVP as well. He's starting to get comfortable playing on the first line and it looks like he will stick there for a while.

All's well in Senators land.

Edit:

Forgot to mention - Erik Karlsson is looking good so far. No hangover or fall off from his Norris trophy winning season. Plus now he's a married man.

Scott Bails
01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Here's the story in Philly.

"We suck."

End of story.

:(

MudShark22
01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Scott: That was the best short story I ever read! :up

rottersclub
01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Here's the story in Philly.

"We suck."

End of story.

:(

Normally I would be thrilled by this, but for some insane reason, I picked the Flyers to win the conference in our office pool. What the hell was I thinking???

Scott Bails
01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
What the hell was I thinking???

Did you do this before Nashville re-signed Shea Weber?;)

Scott Bails
01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Sharks sign Scott Gomez to one-year deal. (http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21604544/sharks-to-sign-scott-gomez-to-oneyear-contract)

rottersclub
01-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Did you do this before Nashville re-signed Shea Weber?;)

Ya, I guess they're a little thin on the blueline. And they have a certifiable nutbar in nets. Good luck with that!!!

MudShark22
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Sh!t...just noticed that the Isles finish the season with 5 straight road games!! Doh!
However, I read that the Isles have one of the fewest sets of 'back-to-back' games scheduled in the league.

Yves
01-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Habs schedule is'road heavy' towards the end of the calendar as well... Not sure if that'll matter by then though.

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
The NHL is reporting that Wade Redden was picked up by the Blues.

rottersclub
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
The NHL is reporting that Wade Redden was picked up by the Blues.

That was about 2 pages ago here. C'mon, stick with the program!

rottersclub
01-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Sens have 2 long road trips because of the Women's Hockey Championship and the CIAA basketball championship (which my alma mater - Carleton University - has won in 8 of the past 10 years).

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 03:24 PM
D'oh!

rottersclub
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
More recently, the Sharks signed Scott Gomez to a one year contract. What little chemistry that team had is now going to evaporate.

polmico
01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
More recently, the Sharks signed Scott Gomez to a one year contract. What little chemistry that team had is now going to evaporate.

That was about 1/2 a page ago. :)

What the hell happened to Gomez? I loved him with the Devils. Then . . . plooof. I hear the guy is kind of a dick. Is that true?

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

Can't say that I "loved" him with the Devils - truth be told, I hated him, but that's a testament to him as a player.

What makes him such a cancer now?

Gladiator1634
01-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Hear we go first meeting between the Rangers and Flyers.....Wouldn't it be nice to see Philly at 0-4.... :cool

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking the Flyers will shock the world and actually win this one - without Hartnell, Schenn and Briere.

At least, that's what I'm hoping. ;)

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
:D

Gladiator1634
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Congrats Scott your Flyers deserved to win that one!....Rangers offense needs help! :yell

MudShark22
01-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Isles down 3-1 to the lowly Leafs, kill off a 5 on 3 at the end of the 1st....then proceed to score 5 unanswered goals over the next 30 minutes.
Good start to the 5 game road trip. :up

rottersclub
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
I guess that's it for the Leafs this year. The rest is all downhill.

Tough break losing Lupul for the rest of the season. Just after he signed a 5 year contract extension.

Lino
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Big time loss for Buds. They are weak up front and Lupol was their best all-around forward. They just gave him the A, and a new contract. I feel sorry for that kid, he's been plagued by freak injuries. That's life in the big shitty.
This is going to be the new NHL in this shortened season...one night dominating the Pens, the next getting throttled by the Isles. Look at the Habs, they looked like the worst hockey team I ever saw in the NHL when they played the Leafs...since then have rebounded for 2 wins, including a dominating win over the Caps in DC.

Scott Bails
01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Bummer about Lupul. Became a fan when he played for the Flyers and hated to see him go. And the Leafs certainly didn't want to lose him.

MudShark22
01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Lino: Could it be that the buds are more "relaxed' away from home (due to the hair-trigger temper of the home crowd)?

rottersclub
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
a dominating win over the Caps in DC.

making the Caps the worst team in the NHL. OMG they suck. I hope Adam Oates doesn't get canned for this terrible start.

rottersclub
01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Watching the game from Sunrise FL last night - the entire lower bowl between the blue lines were empty. It looked like it was cordoned off for a hazmat crisis. :) According to the official stats, the Attendance was 15,634. What gives?

Scott Bails
01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Attendance figures are usually "paid attendance," not a count of how many pass through the turnstiles.

MudShark22
01-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Phlyers sign Knubel to 1-year deal as hartnell gets the 6-8 week injury prognosis.

Yves
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
The Caps looked like a team already eliminated last night. Habs look like a team that is gelling very well WITHOUT Subban... I'm curious to see how that plays out. If he was smart he'd sign the 2-year deal and bide his time. Habs strength so far has been the powerplay. Also, the goal the Caps scored in the 58th minute of the game was the first goal the Habs give up in a 5-on-5 situation. Defense has been very solid and Price has been Price.

MudShark22
01-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Isles v Bruins tonight....gotta call my brother and tell him the B's suck! :lol

rottersclub
01-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Yves, the key guy for Habs has always been Markov. In the same way that Karlsson initiates a lot of offence for my team, so does he for the Habs. If he can stay healthy, Bergevin doesn't have to fold on Subban. I figure that P.K.'s agent will eventually get that and come to Bergevin with hat in hand. And it would make sense for Subban to take a shorter term deal for less money, say 2 years, put up some big numbers then go back to the table and get his monster RFA contract. That may be the new trend under this new CBA. Interesting stuff for us make-believe GMs.

Scott Bails
01-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Phlyers sign Knubel to 1-year deal as hartnell gets the 6-8 week injury prognosis.

Happy about Knuble, as I've always liked him.

Not so happy about Hartnell, and now Andrej Meszaros is going to be out a while, it seems.

Injuries + shortened season don't go well together.

polmico
01-25-2013, 06:15 PM
I realized something the other night while watching a hockey game (Flyers? Probably. They're on every night.) I wouldn't usually watch: this January start is perfect for me.

Football is done. It's a fall sport not a winter sport, and I've found that my interest in the Super Bowl (er, the "Big Game"--I don't want the NFL to come after me) has waned in recent years. Too much spectacle, not enough sport.

I can't stand basketball, and baseball is still months away.

But thanks to the late NHL start I've been able to follow story lines in the league from day one. There are a shitload of games on with nothing else to watch. The October start time for the NHL is way too early. NFL, college football, baseball playoffs, plus decent shows on cable (HBO and AMC usually have 2 or 3 shows worth watching on a regular basis)--it's too much and not enough time for hockey.

January? I'm playing fantasy hockey. I know players on teams I would've never bothered knowing. I would love to see the NHL regularly start up in mid-December or so. Cut the season down, cut some teams out and find someone to replace Brodeur in net for the Devils next season. Make it happen, NHL! :)

Scott Bails
01-25-2013, 06:40 PM
I'd be happy if they started in December. The NFL is heating up, and hockey would be getting their stuff together. By the time football is over, hockey would be in full swing.

I just don't think it should go as late into the spring/summer as it does now.

And I'd very much prefer that it got a little bit of love from ESPN. I really don't understand the way they cover the NBA - I don't know anyone who cares even a little about the NBA, but most of my friends and family follow at least some hockey.

Yves
01-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Yves, the key guy for Habs has always been Markov. In the same way that Karlsson initiates a lot of offence for my team, so does he for the Habs. If he can stay healthy, Bergevin doesn't have to fold on Subban. I figure that P.K.'s agent will eventually get that and come to Bergevin with hat in hand. And it would make sense for Subban to take a shorter term deal for less money, say 2 years, put up some big numbers then go back to the table and get his monster RFA contract. That may be the new trend under this new CBA. Interesting stuff for us make-believe GMs.

I agree. Markov is already the team's leading goal scorer with 3. His defense partner, Diaz, was leading all NHL defencemen with 5 points as of Thursday. When P.K. was on the power play, he'd shoot erratically and the Habs would often lose the puck as a result, killing the power play chance entirely. An effective power play is one where you get right on top of the other team right from the get go and pick your moments to take accurate shots at the net. Habs been doing that so far this year and it has paid off.

PS: Subban will sign a 2-year deal with the Habs or he won't sign at all. The Habs been doing things "The Hab Way" for a long time now. That won't change. Subban has shown spurts of being great, but is not great yet.

rottersclub
01-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Re: Subban - Agree on that he's not great yet. (And he needs to grow up a bit too. Not all his teammates love him. :) ) Apparently, the comparable guy that they are citing is Tyler Myers. Sorry, but I don't see P.K. being all that comparable to Myers. I heard on the radio last night that Montreal has made a new offer and P.K. and his group were going to consider it over the weekend. But as you say, it's on the Canadien's terms, not his.

Re: PP - agree that bad shots are worse than no shots. The keys from the blue line are: 1) find a lane; 2) a quick release is more effective and a big booming slapshot (the days of Al McInnis are over); and 3) keep it down and more or less on net (the majority of goals from the blue line are from deflections or rebounds - the goalies are so big now that if they can see it, they will stop it). The one thing that will kill a PP is when the team stays on the outside and just keeps cycling the puck around the perimeter. The short-handed team is fine with that. So the key is motion. The guys on the PP have to keep moving and cause the SH box to break down.

Klonk
01-26-2013, 10:13 AM
The one thing that will kill a PP is when the team stays on the outside and just keeps cycling the puck around the perimeter. The short-handed team is fine with that.

You've just described the Rangers Achilles heel. It's something I just can't figure out because on paper, you'd see names like Richards, Gaborik, Nash and think...ooh deadly power play. Nope. It's all perimeter, especially on 5 on 3's where it's even more beneficial to the shorthanded team! The other night against Philly is a great example. 5 on 3 for 2 full minutes and they didn't get a shot on goal! That is outrageous! Anyway, it's something that needs fixing.

Rangers seem very disjointed right now. It's a damn short season so I hope they can find that chemistry soon.

polmico
01-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Watching the Sharks on NHL Network. Marleau just scored his second goal of the game, and the announcer said it was his fourth straight two-goal game. That's a pretty damn good way to start the season!

Scott Bails
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Wow.

Klonk
01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
...and Wade Redden nets a power play bomb tonight for the Blues :lol

Scott Bails
01-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Scott Clemmensen looks like shit tonight for Florida.

The Flyers already have 5 goals, and they've only played two periods. I imagine his night is over.

Brave73
01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Another game, another Blues win (4-3). Perron, two goals... Halak was solid in the 3rd. :)

Scott Bails
01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Scott Clemmensen looks like shit tonight for Florida.

The Flyers already have 5 goals, and they've only played two periods. I imagine his night is over.

Ah...Theodore played the first period, giving up 3 goals on 9 shots. Clemmensen only began playing at the start of the 2nd, giving up 4 on 17 shots.

Hope they haven't scored all of their goals for the week in one game!

Progatron
01-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Leafs were up 2-1 in the third period. They lost 5-2. Yep, hockey is definitely back.

rottersclub
01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
...and Wade Redden nets a power play bomb tonight for the Blues :lol

I'm happy for the guy. He was my favourite player for many years. He played the game with a grace and elan that made it look effortless. They used to say that he was one of the best at making "the first pass". The knock on him was that he played the game too soft, but every so often, someone would piss him off and he would punch the snot out of the guy. Everything went south for the guy when his mother died and I don't know if we'll ever get the whole story on how such a fine player's skills could erode almost overnight.

Klonk
01-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah, you're right, Redden's biggest knock here was being soft. And he was, but once in a while, he'd get pissed off and beat the hell out of someone :lol He was doomed from the beginning though because of the ridiculous contract. Something that wasn't his fault by any means, but it made expectations impossibly high.

Rangers forechecked the Leafs into oblivion last night. Totally wore them down. This is the stuff! Rangers also signed Jason Arnott for a year? I'm not sure I get this one. Good face-off guy, big body in front of net sure...but old and slow. I'm confused because to me with the loss of Sauer, we need a solid 6th D man. Who knows...

Ken
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Blackhawks are 5-0, they are looking good, getting some good bounces along with some referree-friendly calls. Columbus scored a legit tying goal last nite in the 2nd period, but the ref waived it off. Hossa is playing well, surviving last year's season-ending hockey hit, Mr klonk's phrase. ;)

The one thing they still don't have is muscle, so it will be the normal question come playoffs time, skill vs muscle. Probably their best pure physical guy, Danny Carcillo, blew out his knee in the first game. They have been able to skate up and down the ice so far, but we know that changes come playoffs.

Scott Bails
01-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Probably their best pure physical guy, Danny Carcillo, blew out his knee in the first game.

Consider this a blessing.

Klonk
01-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Carcillo is very effective when he's not taking stupid penalties.

Hossa is playing well, surviving last year's season-ending hockey hit, Mr klonk's phrase.

Ya lost me, Ken. Did I have comments about that hit?

Scott Bails
01-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Carcillo is very effective when he's not taking stupid penalties.

i.e. he's not very effective. ;)

rottersclub
01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Rangers forechecked the Leafs into oblivion last night. Totally wore them down. This is the stuff!

Friggin' Brian Boyle was a beast last night. But listen Klonk, no matter how good your first line is, you need some support from the other lines. Torts is notorious for shortening his bench and wearing his stars out.

Klonk
01-27-2013, 07:01 PM
I agree. That's probably where the Arnott move comes in to play. I'm not a big fan of having Nash/Richards/Gaborik together. I'd love if they could find some chemistry where they can spread those guys throughout the first two lines. I think there's definitely talent there to make it work. Though all the lines were very solid last night.

Power Play is still a mystery to me.

Scott Bails
01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
NY Rangers suck. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicholasschwartz/the-new-york-rangers-published-an-incredibly-demea-7a5h) :p