PDA

View Full Version : Where’s Chalkpie?

at least 100 dead
12-07-2015, 11:48 AM
I always enjoyed his posts a lot, but his account is now only marked as “guest”...

Gruno
12-07-2015, 11:56 AM
I noticed that the other day, also.

Sean
12-07-2015, 12:01 PM
I believe he had enough of someone here and split. I even offered to deal with the person in question but he would have none of it. I suspect we wound up on the losing end of this one since he was a really awesome contributor. He may come back someday but don't hold your breath.

And to the person that he had issues with. Nice job! You ran off a great guy and in the end we still have you. Is that fair?

at least 100 dead
12-07-2015, 12:05 PM
That's a shame. He was smart, funny and knowledgeable.

Steve F.
12-07-2015, 12:11 PM
And to the person that he had issues with. Nice job! You ran off a great guy and in the end we still have you. Is that fair?

He made it sound in a private message that *I* chased him off, which I think was quite an over-reaction to one post I made, honestly.

Gruno
12-07-2015, 12:12 PM

That's pretty jacked up!

I was trying to search for Chalkpie's last few posts to locate the culprit, but with his account deleted, it is rather difficult.

Sean, let us know if ya need to send the lynch mob out and drop this buffoon, m'kay? ;)

Gruno
12-07-2015, 12:13 PM
He made it sound in a private message that *I* chased him off, which I think was quite an over-reaction to one post I made, honestly.

:O

If it was you… why I oughttta!!! :D

I hope it was just a misunderstanding (if it was with you) and hope chalky returns!

Steve F.
12-07-2015, 12:15 PM
It wasn't a mis-understanding. See the ROXY : THE MOVIE thread.

He wanted me to tell him information I got from a book I bought and read and I said, "No, I won't Spotify or stream it for you", and he got totally bent out of shape. I think he over-reacted big-time, but that's all I said.

Sean
12-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Hmm, thanks for chiming in, Steve. You too are a gem so at least some loser troll didn't cause him to bail. Still, it's a drag.

Steve F.
12-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Hmm, thanks for chiming in, Steve. You too are a gem so at least some loser troll didn't cause him to bail. Still, it's a drag.

C'mon, you know you'd trade me for him in a HEARTBEAT!

Sean
12-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Ha! Nah, you two are pretty much on an even par in my eyes when it comes to stimulating discussions here.

Steve F.
12-07-2015, 12:22 PM
^ ^ ^

thank you.

I was also sorry to see him go.

at least 100 dead
12-07-2015, 12:24 PM
I remember that post in question. I thought you were right, but the tone *was* a bit gruff.

Come back, clammy chalkie and show that music biz mogul!

Progatron
12-07-2015, 12:26 PM
No matter how cool or interesting a person is, I'm afraid I'll just never understand 'leaving' a forum. I can see not bothering with it anymore, or slowly losing interest... but to actually make the effort to remove your account shows me that you want people to *see* that you've done it. "I'm mad at this guy, so I just want you all to know I'm never coming back here, and you have to live without me." .... and this is not specific to this user, I've seen it a number of times before. My thoughts are, "Okay, take your toys and go home." Life's too short for silliness and pettiness.

at least 100 dead
12-07-2015, 12:33 PM
As music freaks, it comes with the territory that we’re all a bit more sensitive than the rest of world. Anyway, if there’s a will to reconcile, there’s always a way. Hopefully…

Yves
12-07-2015, 12:41 PM
No matter how cool or interesting a person is, I'm afraid I'll just never understand 'leaving' a forum. I can see not bothering with it anymore, or slowly losing interest... but to actually make the effort to remove your account shows me that you want people to *see* that you've done it. "I'm mad at this guy, so I just want you all to know I'm never coming back here, and you have to live without me." .... and this is not specific to this user, I've seen it a number of times before. My thoughts are, "Okay, take your toys and go home." Life's too short for silliness and pettiness.

I've left here before, but I totally get your point of view. Sometimes though, you need that break that only comes from closing your account, so I can relate to people needing to do so.

Steve F.
12-07-2015, 12:53 PM
I remember that post in question. I thought you were right, but the tone *was* a bit gruff.

It was.

It's also a very sore subject with me for obvious reasons. Like the fact that I'm watching 35 years of work slowly collapse and fall away.

Zeuhlmate
12-07-2015, 01:46 PM
A pity really. He had good taste :)

If someone underwhelms me too much, I just put them on the 'blacklist' (or whatever its called).
But its so long time ago I did, so I cant even remember how to do it or remember what its called.
But just wait ! :p

Dave (in MA)
12-07-2015, 01:55 PM

You big meanie!

Plasmatopia
12-07-2015, 01:58 PM
... but to actually make the effort to remove your account shows me that you want people to *see* that you've done it.

Perhaps, but I never would have known chalkpie left had I not seen this thread...despite him being one of my FB friends.

nosebone
12-07-2015, 02:10 PM
What about Supp? Lino? and Yogibear?

bob_32_116
12-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Leaving a forum makes perfect sense to me, if it's no longer giving you enjoyment and you intend not to return. I have left a couple. I did not make a big drama over it, but I did say words to the effect of "Bye folks, I'm not coming back". I thought I owed that much to the people I still regarded as friends on those fora.

You might say "Why not just stay away?" But it's not as easy as that. I've tried that. After a certain time the temptation is to give it another go, maybe things have settled down. And I returned, and got all the big "welcome back" virtual hugs... and then in a week's time it was back to the same old shit. It's like a failed relationship. You can try to patch it up, and sometimes things can be patched up, but sometimes you just have to let go and make a clean break.

As for chalkpie, i guess he just got "cheesed off". ;)

bob_32_116
12-07-2015, 02:29 PM
Perhaps, but I never would have known chalkpie left had I not seen this thread...despite him being one of my FB friends.
I think that speaks volumes about Facebook's bastardisation of the word "friend".

Gruno
12-07-2015, 02:43 PM

He wanted me to tell him information I got from a book I bought and read and I said, "No, I won't Spotify or stream it for you", and he got totally bent out of shape. I think he over-reacted big-time, but that's all I said.

If he did leave because of that exchange, I think it is definitely blown out of proportions. I searched and read the entire thread and I didn't think you were being abrasive at all. But, we all have different tolerance levels, so who knows -- it may be a number of things that contributed to his exit.

Tell him that some are asking about him… :up

Facelift
12-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I met him at the Magma show in NYC earlier in the year. He seemed like a pretty cool guy to me.

I do agree that going through the trouble of deleting an account is somewhat diva-like, but whatever. He did not behave in an over-sensitive manner in general, I thought.

My suspicion is that it wasn't one particular beef that sent him over the edge, but reliving a lot of the same moments regarding a particular set of issues.

Could be wrong, though.

Plasmatopia
12-07-2015, 03:19 PM
If he did leave because of that exchange, I think it is definitely blown out of proportions. I searched and read the entire thread and I didn't think you were being abrasive at all. But, we all have different tolerance levels, so who knows -- it may be a number of things that contributed to his exit.

Tell him that some are asking about him… :up

He's a busy guy. He doesn't frequent FB either. I suspect he just figured PE was one less distraction he didn't need, all things considered.

Facelift
12-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Someone else will have to pick up the Cardiacs/Mahler/Bartok slack.

12-07-2015, 03:51 PM

Don't forget the yearly Canterbury binge.

Plasmatopia
12-07-2015, 03:51 PM

Probably Lieto has that covered.

zombywoof
12-07-2015, 08:05 PM
I occasionally trade e-mails with Frankie (Chalkpie). He says he'll be back one of these days. I miss his contributions big time.

Jerjo
12-08-2015, 12:41 AM
I see Lino on FB and I doubt if he'll ever be back. Yogi, I don't know. I'd just as soon see the return of Jegheist or JIF as Supp, which means not at all.

Polypet
12-09-2015, 07:55 PM
I believe he had enough of someone here and split. I even offered to deal with the person in question but he would have none of it. I suspect we wound up on the losing end of this one since he was a really awesome contributor. He may come back someday but don't hold your breath.

Is this for real? Seriously? Damn it. I guess i need to email Frank and find out what the deal was. That's very disappointing, yeah :mad

I can't imagine it would've been such a strong response to anything you said. You are never less than civil, in my experience. And he has a plenty tough skin. It must've been something especially grievous or completely different than we're all thinking ;)

Oh. Well, i get why you might say that. It's actually kind of funny. :)

And everyone knows how excited we all are about the whole "Spotify-cation" thing. If he got very upset over that, well... i'm sorry to hear it.

It's an instant snark maker and Steve is kind of dry in print anyway. But i can imagine it getting toasty in the thread.... hmm.
Still, it seems like a small comment and not an unfriendly or mean one. Just opinions, as usual.

Ha! Nah, you two are pretty much on an even par in my eyes when it comes to stimulating discussions here.

Likewise :up

Totemist
02-06-2016, 11:06 AM
I think I've found something that can throw light on this:

from the "dead musician" thread:

Originally Posted by chalkpie

We lost Pierre Boulez too.

(PE member who quote this)_: Next time be more careful...

poor Chalkpie...

PeterG
02-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Wow! Chalkpie, a Caridacs brother, departed from the pond. That's a shame. He was very enthusiastic about Cardiacs, having recently discovered them.

Sean
02-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Read this thread. He left and came back.

PeterG
02-09-2016, 03:03 PM
Someone else will have to pick up the Cardiacs

eerr...hello! There are still quite a few of us old and ageing Cardiacs fans here - The Dunno, Loosefish, Nogbad the Bad, At Least 100 Dead, to name just a few. ;)
But Chalky was very into them, as only a Cardiacs newbie can be. :)

PeterG
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Read this thread. He left and came back.

Oh right, sorry. That's good news.

JKL2000
02-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Meanwhile, TheLoony is still awol.

robdebank
03-29-2016, 12:10 AM
I also enjoyed his posts. Where is he now?

Polypet
03-29-2016, 12:59 PM
He's around. Just search for him in the posts. He's been posting stuff.

chalkpie
04-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Fuck that guy! I wish he was still gone!

zombywoof
04-08-2016, 11:20 PM
What's a Chalkpie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Drake
04-20-2016, 01:33 AM

He IS gone, he's real gone!

Charlessroyal
04-20-2016, 01:54 AM
I am sorry that i have no idea Where’s Chalkpie. When i see this post as guest i notices about this matter. But i did not get the answer for my questioon. I think they are planned to make it as a quest post for easier usage. So that users can interact to whole members.

Jay.Dee
04-20-2016, 04:33 AM

Impostor!

Dave (in MA)
04-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Engrish spam

04-20-2016, 01:37 PM
I am sorry that i have no idea Where’s Chalkpie. When i see this post as guest i notices about this matter. But i did not get the answer for my questioon. I think they are planned to make it as a quest post for easier usage. So that users can interact to whole members.

Agreed.