PDA

View Full Version : Rosfest

jglfan
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Seems funny that there have been no new announcementx for what, 3 months? Even more surprising I haven't seen any threads along these lines. Still three acts to announce and gold seats went on sale two months ago. Has anyone heard from George, is he ok? If he is having trouble signing the last three acts I'll add I'd love to see Little Atlas.

SteveSly
01-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't think I am dreaming this........George sent out a message on Facebook around the holidays announcing that Pain Of Salvation had been added to the lineup. However it is not on the ROSfest web site and I have seen no mention of it here on PE which is kind of strange.......

Steve Sly

Yanks2014
01-05-2013, 01:49 PM
POS at Rosfest? That would be rather cool pick out of left field. I lost interest in them with the "Be" album, but I still wouldn't mind seeing them live. Not unusual that they have not made an announcement, the regular ticket sale date is not for another month, and they already announced most of the lineup.

Stanislavski
01-05-2013, 03:24 PM
If he is having trouble signing the last three acts I'll add I'd love to see Little Atlas.[/QUOTE]

Saw them at the first Rosfest. They were very good!

Duncan Glenday
01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I really, really wanted to be at ROSfest 2013 - particularly to see Pain Of Salvation - but I can't.

I'll be surprisingly close to Gettysburg: Will be doing an "extreme hike" that runs from the MD/PA border, along the Maryland section of the Appalachian trail, to Harpers Ferry in WV ... 42 miles, which we have to finish in less than 16 hours (though I'm hoping to beat 12 hours).

This event only occurs every 2 years, and 2013 will be the last time I intend to do it.

:(:mad:(

progeezer
01-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Just send your wife, she's a lot more attractive!;):p

Digital_Man
01-05-2013, 05:53 PM
I am not sure yet whether or not I will be attending RF this year. I didn't go last year unfortunately and thought I could at least do every other year. I like the lineup but if the Flower Kings do a mini tour that includes somewhere near me I'll probably do that instead. Still, I wouldn't mind going. If I don't go I'll more than likely do PD this year(after a five year absence)and try to do RF 2014. For, those who do go please enjoy yourselves and drink lots of beer! :)

Stanislavski
01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm sitting on the fence with RF this year.

Well make sure you don't get a hole in your jeans.

Duncan Glenday
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Just send your wife, she's a lot more attractive!;):p

Very true!

:lol

SteveSly
01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
POS at Rosfest? That would be rather cool pick out of left field. I lost interest in them with the "Be" album, but I still wouldn't mind seeing them live. Not unusual that they have not made an announcement, the regular ticket sale date is not for another month, and they already announced most of the lineup.

They were outstanding live when we had them at ProgDay. Really nice guys too.

Steve Sly

Hunnibee
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Actually, there are only two openings left... a Friday supporting act and the Sunday headliner.

I don't know why George hasn't updated the website. I'll see if Krista can use an electric cattle prod on him... nah, he'd enjoy that too much! ;)

I don't know if I'm going to make it this year, either, because I still haven't got a job and time is running out to tell a new employer that I need the first weekend in May off to attend a Prog festival... uh huh! Another alternative is to move east to find a job and then I'll already be close to the RoSFest venue... well, anything under 8 hours is close to me! ;)

I like much of the line-up, especially Riverside and PoS, and of course, TFK is always a treat! I'm just dying to know the Sunday Headliner, and if that will give me a bigger incentive to make it out there this year.

I'm really hoping to go, but just like last year, it will be down to the wire, I think, pretty last minute. At least I no longer have to pay several hundred dollars in airfare just to fly out of Alaska! :roll

NogbadTheBad
01-05-2013, 10:01 PM
This may be my first ROSfest, I like about half the line-up and with no NF & Baja being a combination of too far and having seen most of the line-up it's seeming a possibility.

JohnTG8
01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I haven't seen any mention of POS either.

gryphs also
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Since I saw Discipline last year and VDGG the year before, the next band on my bucket list is POS. If they are going to be at Rosfest I am in trouble. With the politcal situation WRT education in Ontario, principals have to contact the superintendents if they are going to be sick, go to work that day, and if they are still sick they MIGHT be able to take the day off. I couldn't go to an out of town meeting for a student with mental illness who is coming to my school in a month. That being said, I have to find a way if POS in the band. My last resort is to have some surgery that I need and have my wife attend and drive me around.

If POS is the band, I MUST find a way to attend.

SteveSly
01-05-2013, 11:41 PM
If POS is the band, I MUST find a way to attend.[/QUOTE]

I double checked and George did send out a public facebook announcement on Dec 24 regarding Pain Of Salvation playing the festival. He did not specify which day or time slot.

Steve Sly

progeezer
01-05-2013, 11:44 PM
This may be my first ROSfest, I like about half the line-up and with no NF & Baja being a combination of too far and having seen most of the line-up it's seeming a possibility.You'll know a lot of people there, Ian!:lol

Tony, you're starting to sound desperate, perhaps even a bit crazed. The headlines will read "Middle School Principal breaks his kneecap with ball peen hammer in order to attend prog fest".:bad

moecurlythanu
01-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I attended last year for one day only to see IQ (again.)

This year, I may do the same to see Asturias. I'm hoping like hell for a Sunday night headliner that's to my liking, to push it over the top.

I definitely don't want anything related to Neil Morse or the Flower Kings, so I'm guessing that my odds aren't good.

Digital_Man
01-06-2013, 01:53 AM
This may be my first ROSfest, I like about half the line-up and with no NF & Baja being a combination of too far and having seen most of the line-up it's seeming a possibility.

Well Ian, you can always go to your car and listen to Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Thinking Plague and Magma cds when the bands you don't like are playing. ;)

Hunnibee
01-06-2013, 05:23 AM
According to Krista, the webmaster for RosFest.com is on vacation and that's why nothing has been updated lately. That will change soon. She assures that Pain of Salvation IS indeed playing this year. :)

gryphs also
01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
If Krista says it is happening, I have not choice but to do it. I'll make one last attempt with my superintendent. If I don't get the OK by the time regular tickets go on sale, there are two surgeries I need so I can decide which one I'll use.

NogbadTheBad
01-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Well Ian, you can always go to your car and listen to Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Thinking Plague and Magma cds when the bands you don't like are playing. ;)Sounds like a plan, I'll be the guy in the Got RIO? and Univers Zero T-Shirts. :)

Camelogue
01-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Well make sure you don't get a hole in your jeans.

or a post up you a**.

Camelogue
01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
, there are two surgeries I need s

Must refrain from all inappropriate jokes because I like Tony.

Lou
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
George also sent out a recent email stating that he was desperately trying to get Steven Wilson for the Sunday headliner, but the two could not make the dates work. Any ideas now about the final headliner?

progeezer
01-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Must refrain from all inappropriate jokes because I like Tony.I'll never refrain from inappropriate comments about Tony, BECAUSE I too like him.

zombywoof
01-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a plan, I'll be the guy in the Got RIO? and Univers Zero T-Shirts. :)

I'm surprised you haven't worn out that UZ shirt yet. By the way, where can I get one? :-)

NogbadTheBad
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm surprised you haven't worn out that UZ shirt yet. By the way, where can I get one? :-)I got mine in Washington at the UZ gig in 2010, bought from the lovely Steve F. I'm pretty sure they'll have some for sale at RIO (hopefully in XXL), I can pick you one up if you like.

Yanks2014
01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
If Wilson were the headliner, I'd think a sellout would be possible. It would make a trio of strong headliners, and as we have found out, it's the headliners who fill the seats. I'm going no matter who the Sunday headliner is, no fence sitting by me.

ScottAM
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Too bad that Steven Wilson couldn't make the date work with George, but hopefully many of us will get to see him as his tour traverses the States. I'll be flying out of Rosfest on Monday morning to see Wilson in Boulder on Monday night! What a great followup to the fest.

For Sunday headliners I'm rooting for Neal Morse. Having seen 7 years of Rosfest, there's very few bands I've ever seen there that top Neal's current band, they're simply incredible, most of all due to Neal's ecstatic showmanship. It would make sense, since Neal is touring Europe with the FK, and they're hoping to bring that co-headlining tour to the States in May! Plus, having Roine and Daniel from POS there, if Portnoy is on drums then you've got 4/5 of Transatlantic's live band there, which would make for an obvious "encore", much like happened last year with the FK alumnus.

progeezer
01-06-2013, 08:24 PM
I have it on good authority that Pain Of Salvation (I refuse to use the POS acronym as it does a disservice to Gildy & the rest:D) is playing the second slot on Saturday (their choice).

gryphs also
01-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Second slot? That's insane. If it is their choice, I understand, but what a band for the second slot! And another headliner to come? WOW!!!

Bill0604
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Seems funny that there have been no new announcementx for what, 3 months? Even more surprising I haven't seen any threads along these lines. Still three acts to announce and gold seats went on sale two months ago. Has anyone heard from George, is he ok? If he is having trouble signing the last three acts I'll add I'd love to see Little Atlas.

I spoke with George and he told me that he would be announcing Pain of Salvation for Saturday.

I don't think I am dreaming this........George sent out a message on Facebook around the holidays announcing that Pain Of Salvation had been added to the lineup. However it is not on the ROSfest web site and I have seen no mention of it here on PE which is kind of strange.......

Steve Sly

No you are not dreaming. I am not sure why he would not update the website. George wrote an extended story on Facebook so I thought it was a fait accompli.

We also talked about this being the tenth anniversary of Rosfest which I think makes it a special occasion especially for those of us who will have attended all ten.

Since Flower Kings will be there Friday and they are touring with the new Neal Morse Band it makes sense the possibility of Neal Morse and his new band being there on Sunday as the headliner if George could swing it. Roine played with Neal in Transatlantic and Daniel Gildenlöw of Pain of Salvation toured with them.

Another possibility is Declan Burke and his new band Alpha Flood. Burke's band Darwin's Radio played Rosfest in 2007 and toured with the Flower Kings. Also with Alpha Flood is
Kristoffer Gildenlöw formerly of Pain of Salvation and Collin Leijenaar long time drummer for Neal. Alpha Flood will be releasing their first album in 2013 so a tour is inevitable.

Another top pick would be Sylvan who played Rosfest in 2005 and blew the place out.

I am also plugging for another favorite of mine Magenta who has already appeared as a Saturday nite headliner at Rosfest. Given POS on Saturday, any one of these four as Sunday nite headliner
would make it a contender for the best Rosfest ever.

Iggyrawks
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
It's official POS announced on the RoSfest website.
http://rosfest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=167:pain-of-salvation-announced-for-rosfest-2013&catid=1:latest&Itemid=83

The band bio on RoSfest -
http://rosfest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=166&Itemid=149

Yanks2014
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Still 2 announcements left, Sunday headliner of course, and the Friday opener, which I imagine will be a not very well known act. I'm happy about POS, but I do hope it's not just them concentrating on recent material. They seemed to move away from the heavy stuff, and I just don't find them as interesting now. If they incorporate older mater, I'll be plenty happy. Read the bio, and while I have NOTHING in common with Gildenlow's world view, I don't imagine him preaching from the stage either. Still think it was stupid for the band to not tour the US, especially for the reasons stated, and the timing was terrible for the band as they were starting to make a name in the US. But that is in the past, and maybe we get treated to a strong performance, which is what really matters.

Digital_Man
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Wow, kind of strange that POS aren't headliners. Does anyone know why? I'm sure George offered them that spot.

gryphs also
01-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Yanks,

As someone who completely agrees with Gildenlow's world view, I don't think he will be "preaching" either. As Anwar Sadat said when asked what he wanted as his epitaph, "I lived for peace, I died for principles". Glidenlow stuck by his principles and you have to respect the man for that.

progeezer
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Wow, kind of strange that POS aren't headliners. Does anyone know why? I'm sure George offered them that spot.So am I, and they preferred to play on Saturday regardless of the slot.

They must have some big plans (or a potential gig in the making somewhere) on Sunday:huh.

80s were ok
01-07-2013, 03:58 PM
I never heard of POS - does Point of Sale have any good CD's?

NogbadTheBad
01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I thought it stood for "Piece Of S**t", rather unfortunate acronym.

Stanislavski
01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Yanks,

As someone who completely agrees with Gildenlow's world view, I don't think he will be "preaching" either.

If he preaches, I'm outa there! I can't stand these schmucks who take stage time to give us their BS views on religion & world peace. I saw Leon Russell back in the 70's and he preached for 10 minutes after every song. That was the last time I spent my hard earned money on him.

progeezer
01-07-2013, 05:39 PM
If you don't think between now & May that Gildenlow either is going to read this thread, or be told about it, you're pretty naive.

How he chooses to handle that is up to him.

Sharp
01-07-2013, 08:46 PM
If you don't think between now & May that Gildenlow either is going to read this thread, or be told about it, you're pretty naive.

How he chooses to handle that is up to him.

My guess is with total grace. I had the opportunity to meet him when he came in with the Transatlantic tour a couple of years ago. He is one of the nicest, unassuming musicians I have ever met. I extremely doubt any preaching from stage.

progeezer
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Good to know, Roland.:) Are you coming up for Champs?

Digital_Man
01-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Hmmm POS. I never thought of it translating to Piece of Shit. LOL. No wonder Progeezer doesn't want to refer to them by that acronym. ;)

Yanks2014
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Yanks,

As someone who completely agrees with Gildenlow's world view, I don't think he will be "preaching" either. As Anwar Sadat said when asked what he wanted as his epitaph, "I lived for peace, I died for principles". Glidenlow stuck by his principles and you have to respect the man for that.

No, I don't respect what I think was wrong -can't say I understand doing that. Gildenlow was bitching about policies (many we still have under Obama), but right in the wake of 9/11. If I'm not mistaken, his big beef was getting figerprinted. I think he was also arrested for something innocent (something about lingering near a bridge), that without 9/11 would never have happened. I think he had a little temper tantrum, not getting what a tense time it was in the US. Sorry about bringing this up in a Rosfest thread, but its hard to avoid when discussing POS. Bottom line, I want a good show by them, I wont hold the band's beliefs against them, as I would hope others would be the same way for someone performing who is right leaning. I still listen to POS music -only the first 4 albums. I just hope I get to hear some songs from those, at least a few tracks.

Sharp
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Good to know, Roland.:) Are you coming up for Champs?

I really, really want to Steve but unfortunately it doesn't look to be in the cards...

Yanks2014
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Wow, never thought of POS meaning that. Pretty funny actually, but never my intent. Just too long a band name to keep typing. As to POS headlining, not sure they are headliner material, especially at a fest not known really for heavier sounding bands.

So, any specualation on the Sunday headliner OTHER than Neal Morse. I think there is a chance of it, but wondering what other possibilities there could be.

moecurlythanu
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Hmmm POS. I never thought of it translating to Piece of Shit. LOL.

It's a pretty common usage. It's what I thought of first.

80s were ok
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
in the retail world, it's POINT OF SALE -

moecurlythanu
01-07-2013, 11:01 PM
in the retail world, it's POINT OF SALE -

Yeah, I've seen that abbreviation on my bank statement.

Bill0604
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
If he preaches, I'm outa there! I can't stand these schmucks who take stage time to give us their BS views on religion & world peace. I saw Leon Russell back in the 70's and he preached for 10 minutes after every song. That was the last time I spent my hard earned money on him.

My beliefs are secular and my understanding of the universe is embedded in science and I too have little interest in religious lyrics. But patience and tolerance
are virtues worth practicing. For example Neal Morse's song "Wind at My Back" has God as his central figure, but one can easily insert the image of a boy/girlfriend
or spouse and the meaning can be quite relevant and uplifting. It is a truly wonderful song. I don't think any musician would try to over sell their
message to a crowd like Rosfest even though some of the lyrics have religious meaning or sub-texts.

Camelogue
01-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I drove a few POS in my lifetime. i don't think Pain of Salvation is in my wheelhouse but I will take a swing at them.

Duncan Glenday
01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
...i don't think Pain of Salvation is in my wheelhouse but I will take a swing at them.

Unfortunately there's no way I'll be able to see them at ROSfest. But for those who're a bit skeptical about them - trust me on this: give them a chance. Gildenlow is insanely talented, and I'm pretty sure he'll blow the roof off that place.

progeezer
01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
It's a pretty common usage. It's what I thought of first.Soiled minds think alike!;)

Scott Bails
01-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Sorry about bringing this up in a Rosfest thread, but its hard to avoid when discussing POS.

And yet, it was completely avoided until you brought it up. :roll

beano
01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Hoping to make it this year..Anyone driving in from the Metro NY area?? I would make a great co-pilot!!

progeezer
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
The left (as I raise my hand) is as guilty as the right when it comes to injecting theology, politics and moral compasses here on a progressive music site, but Scott's post above is completely accurate, Thomas.

Plasmatopia
01-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Soiled minds think alike!;)

Correction: Soiled minds STINK alike. :)

txprog
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
When they are good, they are very good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jzZ2EkfXE

Yanks2014
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
The left (as I raise my hand) is as guilty as the right when it comes to injecting theology, politics and moral compasses here on a progressive music site, but Scott's post above is completely accurate, Thomas.

I'm dropping the subject of POS, at least in regards to Gildenlow's views. I care too much about Rosfest, I've grown to really love the event in just two years time. If he does resort to some kind of political rant, I wont be very kind about it im my eventual review. And not just for the disagreement, no, I'd rather they spend the time playing more music. But that is not likely to happen.

Yanks2014
01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
My beliefs are secular and my understanding of the universe is embedded in science and I too have little interest in religious lyrics. But patience and tolerance
are virtues worth practicing. For example Neal Morse's song "Wind at My Back" has God as his central figure, but one can easily insert the image of a boy/girlfriend
or spouse and the meaning can be quite relevant and uplifting. It is a truly wonderful song. I don't think any musician would try to over sell their
message to a crowd like Rosfest even though some of the lyrics have religious meaning or sub-texts.

I'm amazed Christianity requires so much tollerance, as if it's difficult to deal with. Some of you who have been so off put by the faith, I wonder what your exposure was that left such a sour taste. Different discussion for a different time. But as far as Morse is concerned, I don't think his lyrics are preachy in any way. He's simply telling his own personal story, it's about him and his relationship with God. Nothing judgemental at all. Can it be a mild annoyance to a non-beleiver? Maybe, hard for me to relate to that as a beleiver, but I see that being possible. But beyond that? Nope. I think his lyrics are actually easy to ignore if you choose, and instead you can focus on his powerful brand of symphonic prog.

NogbadTheBad
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
So we need to ignore Morse preaching but you get to be upset about a possible (unlikely) Gildenow rant? See a double standard at all? Unbelievable (pun)

progeezer
01-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Sorry, Thomas ^^^^^^:up

You should have just left the can of worms that indeed you started closed. Don't even think about separating or creating a difference between spiritual/religious beliefs and ideological beliefs. They're the same.

gryphs also
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
I think I'll send my comment PM because I don't like the direction this is taking away from my uncontrollable joy at George's decision. But I am tolerant...I even put up with the "hopeful agnostic" ^^^^^ (but why he puts up with me, I don't know).

progeezer
01-08-2013, 03:33 PM
:rofl

SteveSly
01-08-2013, 06:00 PM
My guess is with total grace. I had the opportunity to meet him when he came in with the Transatlantic tour a couple of years ago. He is one of the nicest, unassuming musicians I have ever met. I extremely doubt any preaching from stage.

I have met him twice and yea in person he is almost the total opposite of his stage persona. Very soft spoken and intelligent. Seemed like he always had a smile on his face. I remember we had a long conversation in the wee hours of the morning on the Sunday night after Progday. Yes, he has political views, but he comes at them from a point of having significant knowledge of the subject he talks about and seemed to be very receptive to other people's points of view.

Bottom line........Pain Of Salvation is going to blow the roof off of ROSfest. It's gonna be fun!

Steve Sly

80s were ok
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM

You should have just left the can of worms that indeed you started closed. Don't even think about separating or creating a difference between spiritual/religious beliefs and ideological beliefs. They're the same.

:) :)

Jimmy Giant
01-08-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Pain live. However, Road Salt really did nothing for me. But I know they'll be great live. Another good pick Iggy!

Bill0604
01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
When they are good, they are very good:

Great video, thanks! This band fits perfectly with the menu for Saturday Rosfest with Believe and Riverside.

These bands rely heavily on being dramatic, theatrical and emoting.

I think Jolly, from what I heard will be a worthy beginning to the day. It is developing into quite a Rosfest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5xiFvjOEVs

This band tragically had all their equipment, home and Jolly birthplace destroyed by Hurrican Sandy - watch this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ytWrXj1NS4U

TheLongshot
01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
I always thought the hubub over Daniel's political beliefs have been a bit overblown. I never felt it was anything that affected his live performance, whether it was with PoS or The Flower Kings. I also appreciate that he always follows his own path and doesn't seek to please his fans all the time, but do what he wants to do.

Personally, I think this is probably the most killer lineup that RoSFest has put together so far, and I'm seriously considering attending.

Digital_Man
01-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Ok I see a lot of talk about Glidenow's controversial opinions but no one seems to be saying what they are. Without putting him on the spot or getting into a big discussion or debate about it(too late now anyway) what exactly does he believe that's so controversial and offputting? Is he an atheist? A liberal(god forbid; that is if you believe in god :P). Some of you are acting like you are going to see Ted Nugent or something. Geez.

beano
01-10-2013, 07:23 AM
The Amboy Dukes were Prog.....:lol

gryphs also
01-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Daniel didn't like the Gestapo tactics (or what he saw as Gestapo tactics if you are on the political right) of the GWB administration.

TheLongshot
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Ok I see a lot of talk about Glidenow's controversial opinions but no one seems to be saying what they are. Without putting him on the spot or getting into a big discussion or debate about it(too late now anyway) what exactly does he believe that's so controversial and offputting? Is he an atheist? A liberal(god forbid; that is if you believe in god :P). Some of you are acting like you are going to see Ted Nugent or something. Geez.

From Wikipedia:

Pain of Salvation has not played in the United States since 2004, when Daniel Gildenlöw expressed his refusal to take part in the US policy of fingerprinting all out-of-country visitors, as well as his contempt for the Bush administration. He feels it infringes his democratic rights and personal integrity.[6] On 22 January 2009 he announced his support for the newly elected President Barack Obama and said the band will be lifting their embargo on the country, but reaffirmed his position on the fingerprinting policy.

Duncan Glenday
01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Daniel didn't like the Gestapo tactics (or what he saw as Gestapo tactics if you are on the political right) of the GWB administration.

Not true. I've interviewed him twice, and he got very poilitical - and did not take this position at all.

He's a very deep thinker and had all of his points well organized ... though to be frank, some of his ideas seemed a bit off-the-wall.

From Wikipedia:

The Wikipedia quote is correct.

This thread is about ROSfest, not politics.

Rick
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
I am a big POS fan, but have different views from Daniel on politics, religion, etc. That being said, I saw them at ProgPower in Atlanta a few years ago and they were amazing. No speeches or rants, just great music.

Never been to a prog festival (outside of ProgPower in Atlanta where I live). But, this lineup is amazing. Big fan of Flower Kings, Riverside, POS, Jolly. Going to have to find a way to make it there.

Rick..

Camelogue
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I certainly will go in expecting to enjoy. I can enjoy many artists live that will not translate to listening to in a non-concert state. Examples for me were,
Gosta Berlings Saga
Metamorfosi
Salem Hill

PapaJimH
01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Great line-up this year! So great in fact that me and 2 CalProg exec staffers will be there. We are all very excited!

Luis Nasser
01-12-2013, 08:29 PM
I will probably miss this, but this is the strongest, most diverse line-up George has assembled.

Haruspex Carnage
01-12-2013, 09:21 PM
That video of POS that whoever posted as far as i'm concerned ISN'T POS any more...they lost about a fourth of that band pictured there...the whole Road Salt band just doesn't cut the mustard for me any more personally.

TheLongshot
01-13-2013, 01:34 AM
That video of POS that whoever posted as far as i'm concerned ISN'T POS any more...they lost about a fourth of that band pictured there...the whole Road Salt band just doesn't cut the mustard for me any more personally.

Except that the lineup in the video is the same lineup that recorded both Road Salt albums. The new lineup, where three members changed (one of which was a former member returning to the band) hasn't been on a recording yet. That being said, they managed to change members before and sound pretty good.

Changing the subject slightly, anyone know what the schedule on Friday would be like? My wife would like to see The Flower Kings again, but I also need to deal with picking my son up from school and delivering him to my parents before the show starts. I'd like to know how much I'd be missing in all of that.

CLOSE TO THE EDGE
01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
According to the Rosfest site, Friday schedule is:
Friday May 3rd

Bolus – 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm

The Flower Kings – 9:00 pm to 11:00 pm

TheLongshot
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Bleh. Before I couldn't find it, but this time there was this link that said "2013 Schedule". I feel stupid.

So, there will be another band before Bolus? Probably will most definite miss that, and may miss some of Bolus.

Iggyrawks
01-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Bleh. Before I couldn't find it, but this time there was this link that said "2013 Schedule". I feel stupid.

So, there will be another band before Bolus? Probably will most definite miss that, and may miss some of Bolus.

That final spot on Friday is for the after hours band at the party.

progeezer
01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Mr. Rawks - What do you call a large group of people, goods and camels traveling through the desert?;):lol

NogbadTheBad
01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Mr. Rawks - What do you call a large group of people, goods and camels traveling through the desert?;):lol
I saw them last year at RIO and to be honest was a bit disappointed, maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

Digital_Man
01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
I just booked a hotel room for Rosfest so if all goes well and I'm able to get a ticket I plan on going. This will be my fifth RF.

gryphs also
01-13-2013, 06:39 PM

Wow, the Geezer has added "subtlety" to his repetoire.

Camelogue
01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
speaking of camels.....................

I'll take Cunning Stunts for $1,000 Alex.

Am I in the wrong thread?

Digital_Man
01-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Not true. I've interviewed him twice, and he got very poilitical - and did not take this position at all.

He's a very deep thinker and had all of his points well organized ... though to be frank, some of his ideas seemed a bit off-the-wall.

The Wikipedia quote is correct.

This thread is about ROSfest, not politics.

Yes I know. I understand that but I didn't start the discussion about him. So please don't dump this on me. Since the cat was out of the bag I thought it only fair that it be made known what exactly it was about him that was so controversial. I don't feel my inquiry or questions were out of line or any more off topic than what was already discussed. But now that it's been explained we can go back to our regularly scheduled topic(ie Rosfest). :)

Duncan Glenday
01-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes I know. I understand that but I didn't start the discussion about him. So please don't dump this on me. Since the cat was out of the bag I thought it only fair that it be made known what exactly it was about him that was so controversial. I don't feel my inquiry or questions were out of line or any more off topic than what was already discussed. But now that it's been explained we can go back to our regularly scheduled topic(ie Rosfest). :)

'K

Yanks2014
01-18-2013, 02:00 PM
So we need to ignore Morse preaching but you get to be upset about a possible (unlikely) Gildenow rant? See a double standard at all? Unbelievable (pun)

I'm not upset, since I highly doubt he will do that. Wouldn't mind talking to him though about his US experiences that soured him. No, I would argue, I just think it would be interesting.

Yanks2014
01-18-2013, 02:04 PM

I wasn't even talking about comments from the stage, as I know Morse does not do that, and as said here, neither does Gildenlow. You have to know that I do tolerate a lot of lyrics I disagree with. It takes quite a lot to turn me off to the music. I can't even count how many songs I own that preach atheism, or left wing politics. They have to be rather extreme to cause me to not want to listen. I don't see how Morse's lyrics fall into that extreme catagory.

Yanks2014
01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Now we can add Shadow Gallery to the fest! What a great and diverse lineup, May can't come soon enough! Can we say sellout? I think I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't at least come close to that.

Hunnibee
01-19-2013, 01:19 AM
I hope I can make it. This is a STELLAR line-up!!!