PDA

View Full Version : Spam attached to text.

Reid
01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Is there anyway this stuff can be stopped. Seems like more and more of this stuff is invading everybody's posts on forums. It's even on the PE Forum homepage.

Duncan Glenday
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
WHAT?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I've seen no spam at all. Can you elaborate? Or better, take some screen-shots, so I can see?

Thanks!

Reid
01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
It gets attached to a segment of text and is highlighted like a link. There are a couple on the homepage attached to the words music business, and available. Dr Oz ads and all kinds of other crap.

Reid
01-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Ha, there's another one on my post above!

Duncan Glenday
01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Reid,

It gets attached to a segment of text and is highlighted like a link. There are a couple on the homepage attached to the words music business, and available. Dr Oz ads and all kinds of other crap.

No. there isn't.

I can't see it, and it is not in the database.

Seems you have a virus of some sort on your PC, or in your browser.

Question for everyone:

Has anyone else seen the same thing, or is it just Reid?

Reid
01-05-2013, 01:44 PM
I brought this up at another forum and people knew what I was referring to. I have a Mac and a PC, and I've experienced it on both. But I'll do a scan on my PC and see if it can be cleared up. Thanks for looking into it, Duncan.

Plasmatopia
01-05-2013, 02:00 PM
I can't see it here on my PC, Mac, nor any of my mobile devices (iPhone, iPad). I'd definitely suspect malware first.

-=RTFR666=-
01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Has anyone else seen the same thing, or is it just Reid?

I'm seeing nothing of the sort either. It's just Reid...

Reid
01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Maybe I need upgraded protection? I'm just using the free Avast software.

scags
01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't have any problems.

sonic
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Nothing here. Please use protection!
http://www.lolwtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1318164804.jpg

moecurlythanu
01-05-2013, 04:09 PM
I ran my cursor over all of the text in his post, and nothing is linked.

Scott Bails
01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm not experiencing this, so it's either a problem unique to Reid (unique for this forum), or he needs to install an ad-blocker on his browser.

Ad blockers completely change one's Internet experience, IMO.

Reid
01-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Scott! That did the trick, and it only took 10 seconds!

Scott Bails
01-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Cool. Glad it helped. :up

I'd still do a complete virus/malware scan. If Duncan isn't aware of anything like this, you may still have issues.

Reid
01-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I did a scan earlier today. But it seems it was just a matter of installing the Mozilla ad blocker for Firefox.

Duncan Glenday
01-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm not experiencing this, so it's either a problem unique to Reid (unique for this forum), or he needs to install an ad-blocker on his browser.

Ad blockers completely change one's Internet experience, IMO.

Thanks, Scott! That did the trick, and it only took 10 seconds!

Just be aware of one thing:

The ad-blockers can block the featured CD display at the top of every page.

Reid
01-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Duncan!

Scott Bails
01-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Huh. Yeah. Forgot about that. I have the ad-blocker allowing ads on PE so that I can see the Featured CD, and I'm not having the issues Reid is having.

I'd say there's still some underlying problem there, Reid.

Greg
01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
The ad-blockers can block the featured CD display at the top of every page.

Interesting. Are you cross-linking between v2 and v3 server URIs? I didnt even notice that the freatured CD isn't showing up on my Linux box.

...or he needs to install an ad-blocker on his browser.IMO.

Unfortunately, the fact that ad blocker works on this only hides the issue if it's the result of a virus seeding the page, in-browser, with ad links.

Maybe I need upgraded protection? I'm just using the free Avast software.

Make sure the software is updated, not just the definitions. But, also be aware that new generation virus code is better at hiding from all anti-virus suites.

Try downloading Spybot Search & Destroy, and install the hosts file from the advanced tools. That will at least lock-out any virus attempts to phone home.

And, be sure to full boot-time scans with the highest level of sensitivity when you suspect something. Online scans in Windows do not have write access to critical system files--even when run as administrator.