PDA

View Full Version : Building dual-manual “organ” MIDI controller

Progbear
07-05-2015, 09:35 PM
I’ve noticed that Doepfer stopped production of their two-manual MIDI controller (complete with drawbars) for Native Instruments B4. So, I was thinking, why not make one myself? I was thinking of buying a cheap home organ (say, a Baldwin Orgasonic or similar) at a thrift store and salvaging out the keyboard. Then make it a MIDI controller with components from midiboutique.com.

Does this sound do-able? Could I just use the existing keyboard bus? And lots of the other parts of these old organs are salvageable. The speaker could become a home-made amp. And I could cobble the pedals into another MIDI controller, or perhaps even a synth using Doepfer components (I’d sell it; I have no use for pedals. I have enough trouble getting ten fingers in sync!).

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?

trurl
07-06-2015, 12:31 AM
Well, it's probably a lot more hassle (and expense) than just getting two M-Audio Oxygen-61 controllers used and moutning them in a single custom cabinet of some kind (I like the Oxygens because they have enough assignable controllers to control nearly everything, including 7 sliders for drawbars).

But it would be a sweet project so if you have the time and the inclination I'd say go for it!!

Supersonic Scientist
07-06-2015, 12:25 PM
I like Turl's idea a lot. The M-Audio controllers are pretty good.

klothos
07-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Well, it's probably a lot more hassle (and expense) than just getting two M-Audio Oxygen-61 controllers used and moutning them in a single custom cabinet of some kind (I like the Oxygens because they have enough assignable controllers to control nearly everything, including 7 sliders for drawbars).

+1

I have an old ancient M-Audio Radium that works well with the NI B4 so I imagine the O61s are that much more of an improvement (except my radium has 8 sliders)

trurl
07-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Er, yeah. 8 sliders. That's what I said... Isn't that what I said? :D

chris950
03-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Hey Trurl,

I'm using an Oxygen 61 and was just given a copy of Native Instruments B4 II. I've been trying like hell to figure out how to configure the drawbars, as the steps detailed in the instruction manual from NI don't seem to be working. Any input? Even better, do you have a controller map file that you use for the upper manual that you could send me?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!