PDA

View Full Version : Near Field Monitors

WHORG
03-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Rebuilding my home studio with properly dedicated (and treated) space, and new PC for Ableton Live, dual video monitors - NI Komplete . . . etc . . .

The last piece-of-the-puzzle would be a set of near field monitors. I want to stay away from a subwoofer right now - as I had lots of trouble previously trying to incorporate this into mys setup . . . so a pair it will be.

Budget = $1,800 tops . . . this will be a tight set-up . . . mid fields would overpower for sure. I already have a nice set of stands . . .

Thx.

trurl
03-09-2015, 09:15 PM
I actually don't like the Genelecs I've tried, they seem too forgiving to me. Everything sounds good on them! We use JBL LSR4328s and love them. If that's too big I also like the KRK Rokit series but unless you go with the 8s you probably would want a little sub.

Dean Watson
03-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Have you tried Focal monitors? They're right in that price range. Although built for a different reason, I have a pair for my stereo and I love them!

WHORG
03-10-2015, 06:58 AM
The Focal CMS 65 is supposed to be awesome - but very unforgiving sonically . . . which a real monitor is supposed to do. I might go that route unheard, for some of my friends in Boston use that monitor for their work and sing great praise for it . . .

Dean Watson
03-11-2015, 06:51 AM
There's a newer less expensive line of Focals out now too. The Alpha series.

Plasmatopia
03-11-2015, 07:33 AM
I haven't tried a lot of different monitors, but last summer I bought a pair of KRK VXT6's (and a KRK 10S subwoofer) and they are truly awesome compared to the M-Audio BX8a's that I had. I can hear all sorts of things I couldn't hear with the M-Audios. That level of clarity just wasn't possible with my old ones. With no sub you might want to go with the VXT8's?