PDA

View Full Version : Norah Jones?

SteveSly
12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
So, I have been sitting around this afternoon doing some work on the computer at home and had Palladia TV just kind of on in the background. They are showing a "storytellers" concert with Norah Jones and I am kind of digging it. I have heard some of her stuff before and although not hating it, I've alway kind of written her off as jazz lite, but I've been enjoying this show. Is she worth exploring further? If so, any recomended albums?

Steve Sly

Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof
12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I was recently listening to a Pat Metheny solo guitar album and recognized a tune that turned out to be a Norah Jones hit from her first album. Bought her album for a penny on Amazon and found it pleasent. When I heard that Ravi died I played this and an Anoushka Shankar album in tribute.

Scott Bails
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I have her first two albums and really enjoy them.

I'm far from a jazz expert, so they very well may be "jazz lite," but I like them.

Mr. Grizzly Bear
12-19-2012, 04:05 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Good for inducing hibernation I give it that.

Scott Bails
12-19-2012, 11:25 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Good for inducing hibernation I give it that.

Ha!

It's funny - because he's Mr. Grizzly Bear!

:lol

Yaman Aksu
12-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Two words: second album
I'll only talk about her second album Feels Like Home which is excellent. It's the only one I know well.

Unlike the first album, the jazzy feel is not prominent. The combination of that particular small organ she plays and piano, combined with adventurous yet simple/straightforward songwriting delivered with a calm performance, gives the second album a distinctive unique sound. Its mood is a combination of relaxation and melancholy, but I think relaxation comes through a lot more, which makes the album a repeat listen for sure. I used to listen to it 10 years ago in the car during my commute many times -- it's pleasant after many hours of work. But when I say relaxing I don't mean New Age. It may make you feel like you're on vacation in the South somewhere quiet --- some say it has a soft Country sound to it, and I agree (there's even a duet with Dolly Parton which is one of the less strong songs of the album), but it's unlike a common Country sound -- for example what you're getting is not twang but dominating organ and piano sounds. Listen to her hit "Come Away With Me" from the first album, tone down its jazzy feel and jack it up with a unique organ/piano-based sound delivered in a soft Country style without Country accents, and you've basically got many of the songs on the second album.

Yaman Aksu
12-20-2012, 08:24 AM
^^^ Well, let me modify my previous comment a bit: on the second album it's not so true that the jazzy feel is not prominent. It's actually more prominent than Country in several songs. Basically on the second album you'll get a combination of soft jazz and soft rock and soft Country, but it won't necessarily sound like any one of them dominating.

progholio
12-20-2012, 11:39 AM
i like her, she has a knack for working with some very talented people too.

if you are any kind fan of classic country i can strongly recommend her side project The Little Willies.

spellbound
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
I think she's pretty good, and have a couple of her albums. But if you are interested in that type of music, I highly recommend Melody Gardot as being, IMO, just a bit better.

Adm.Kirk
12-20-2012, 05:43 PM
I have all of her records. I think quite highly of them. Her last one was a bit different and was a very tiny letdown for me. Still it's good.

Bill

markwoll
12-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Her newest 'Little Broken Hearts' is a departure from her earlier works.
We saw her play last summer and I liked the new stuff .
It was a group performance with her as the leader.
Audience reaction was mixed.
We saw her post Grammy sweep tour, and it was nice.
I was bored.
I like her new stuff better, even though the songs can be on the bitter side.

malterb
12-21-2012, 03:16 PM
My wife is a fan and a few years back took her up to Milwaukee to see her, she was OK, but the opener was Amos Lee, Amos Lee was much better and have seen him multiple times since.

FrippWire
12-22-2012, 01:09 AM
She looks a lot better than her records sound. She's hot.

80s were ok
12-22-2012, 01:45 AM
She looks a lot better than her records sound. She's hot.

very true words

Jay G
12-22-2012, 08:39 AM
i like her, she has a knack for working with some very talented people too.

if you are any kind fan of classic country i can strongly recommend her side project The Little Willies.

The Little Willies features one of the all time guitar great tele twisters Jim Campilongo. His playing is just amazing. A very nice side project for both Norah and Jim.