PDA

View Full Version : Bands you've seen with only one original member in the lineup

Ten Thumbs
12-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Band's I've seen that only had one original member at the time I saw them:
Jethro Tull
Sweet
Wishbone Ash
Yardbirds
Strawbs
Downchild

80s were ok
12-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Foreigner

Rufus
12-18-2012, 02:17 AM
MSG

Stevie B
12-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Dare I say Yes?

kid_runningfox
12-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Camel (Andy Latimer)
H-era Marillion (Steve Rothery)
Jethro Tull
Strawbs
Wisbone Ash

Baribrotzer
12-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Ha! I can beat that:

I saw "Classic-era" Renaissance a number of times - who had NO original members. Not that this is any kind of secret.

ItalProgRules
12-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Procol Harum this past summer.

Joe F.
12-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Tull
Yes
Procol Harum
REO Speedwagon
Pentagram
Camel
Tangerine Dream
Styx
MSG
Rainbow
Deep Purple
King Crimson

Probably a few more that I'm drawing a blank on.

80s were ok
12-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Ha! I can beat that:

I saw "Classic-era" Renaissance a number of times - who had NO original members. Not that this is any kind of secret.

Little River Band has been touring without any originals for many many years too.

80s were ok
12-18-2012, 09:11 AM
URIAH HEEP_ Just saw them a few weeks ago.

Trane
12-18-2012, 09:17 AM
H-era Marillion (Steve Rothery)

I'm a little surprized by this... ok for the singer and drummer, but Kelly (KBs) and Trewavas (bass)... are they still in the band or were they not original members??

I saw most of the bands mentioned already in this thread

Tull
Styx

Well the bassist Panozzo is still an original member, no??

Joe F.
12-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Well the bassist Panozzo is still an original member, no??

He doesn't play with them very much and the last time that I saw them (with Yes) he wasn't with them, leaving only JY as the original member.

dgtlman
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
URIAH HEEP_ Just saw them a few weeks ago.

As did I. Great show!

iguana
12-18-2012, 09:31 AM
actually, they weren’t ... pete trewavas’ predecessor was one diz minnitt and mark kelly replaced brian jelliman. and the original vocalist was doug irvine! this was during the “SiLMARiLLiON“ days of the band, before j.r.r tolkien’s publisher intervened and caused them to lose the first syllable of their name. have a look here:

http://musictravellerstwo.blogspot.de/2009/07/marillion-1981-11-21-chesam.html

raconteur troubadour
12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Savoy Brown (only Kim Simmonds remains)
Procol Harum (only Gary Brooker)

HealthyNational
12-18-2012, 10:08 AM
In additional to several listed, I'll toss "Missing Persons" (only Dale) into this. Thanks (NOT) for reminding me.

Trane
12-18-2012, 10:11 AM
actually, they weren’t ... pete trewavas’ predecessor was one diz minnitt and mark kelly replaced brian jelliman. and the original vocalist was doug irvine! this was during the “SiLMARiLLiON“ days of the band, before j.r.r tolkien’s publisher intervened and caused them to lose the first syllable of their name. have a look here:

http://musictravellerstwo.blogspot.de/2009/07/marillion-1981-11-21-chesam.html

Yeah, ok... didn't know of this, thanks

But maybe this thread should concentrate on official recording line-ups in that case... in this case, it's still in pre-Script days, but their first singles had more or less a stabilized line-up, didn't they?? I mean Kelly and Trewavas were aready in, AFAIK...

Big Ears
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Crosscut Saw and Black Diamond-era Groundhogs

GuitarGeek
12-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Assuming we're defining "original members" as the musicians who played on the first album (as opposed, to say, the guys who played in the band before the lineup that played on the first album came together, or the popularly used definition, which seems to be musicians who were in the band during their "classic phase", by which definition, for instance, Steve Howe is an "original" member of Yes and Artimus Pyle is an original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Jethro Tull
Hawkwind
Magma
Focus
Last time I saw Yes, Squire was the only guy who played on the first two albums in the band
King Crimson
Last couple times I saw Ozric Tentacles, Ed Wynne was the only original member left
Deep Purple (I think I saw one of the first tours they did after Jon Lord had retired)

And when I saw Thin Lizzy, there were no original members in the group.

Rufus
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Asia
Jadis
Mike & The Mechanics

Progbear
12-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Does Utopia count? I saw them on the warmup for the Redux tour in ’94. Todd, Kaz, Willie and Roger. Technically the “classic” lineup, but Todd was the only original member.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“And I’ll Recite an Old Myth From...”-Providence

JIF
12-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I saw Iron Butterfly many years ago and I believe only drummer Ron Bushy was with them, and he was the only original member.

notallwhowander
12-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Camel
King Crimson

Dodie
12-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes, with Squire as the only original member.

I disagree about Marillion though - those early bass and keyboard players were all long gone by the time the band became serious, got a contract with EMI, etc.
Kelly and Trewavas are original members, according to any realistic definition. I think Silmarillion had a different guitarist too in its very early stages.

JAMOOL
12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Kraftwerk in 2009!

GuitarGeek
12-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Re: Styx

He doesn't play with them very much and the last time that I saw them (with Yes) he wasn't with them, leaving only JY as the original member.

Chuck Panozzo is still associated with the band, but he doesn't really tour with them. I understand he's HIV positive, so I imagine he's not really able to commit fully to the band. I gather that once in awhile, he'll come out and play a song or two, but for typical touring and recording purposes, they've had a doppelganger bassist for more than a decade.

JIF
12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Re: Styx

Chuck Panozzo is still associated with the band, but he doesn't really tour with them. I understand he's HIV positive, so I imagine he's not really able to commit fully to the band. I gather that once in awhile, he'll come out and play a song or two, but for typical touring and recording purposes, they've had a doppelganger bassist for more than a decade.Ricky Phillips and Chuck look nothing alike.

80s were ok
12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Ricky Phillips and Chuck look nothing alike.

ain't that the truth. Chuck plays more than one might think, I've seen him at every show in the NJ area since I can remember. He's still a member of the band, period.

JIF
12-19-2012, 09:01 PM
ain't that the truth. Chuck plays more than one might think, I've seen him at every show in the NJ area since I can remember. He's still a member of the band, period.In spirit. I don't think that Chuck can be considered a full-fledged member of Styx since he is too ill to tour and only shows up for a song, or two, occasionally.

80s were ok
12-20-2012, 01:44 AM
In spirit. I don't think that Chuck can be considered a full-fledged member of Styx since he is too ill to tour and only shows up for a song, or two, occasionally.

you really don't get it. You know Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire NEVER plays with the band live..yet he is still the lead man in the band.

JIF
12-20-2012, 01:54 AM
you really don't get it. You know Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire NEVER plays with the band live..yet he is still the lead man in the band.Does he still play on every track on their studio albums, or does another person take his place there? In my opinion, if Chuck was still a full-fledged member, would he play with the band many times and appear on every track on every studio album? Chuck has appeared on only one track on Big Bang Theory and a couple of tracks on Cyclorama. He's not with the band full time, or on a regular basis. Maurice led EWF, whereas Chuck was only one of five members of Styx. Another person fills his role live and in the studio; it was first Glen Burtnik, then Ricky Philips.

80s were ok
12-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Does he still play on every track on their studio albums, or does another person take his place there? In my opinion, if Chuck was still a full-fledged member, would he play with the band many times and appear on every track on every studio album? Chuck has appeared on only one track on Big Bang Theory and a couple of tracks on Cyclorama. He's not with the band full time, or on a regular basis. Maurice led EWF, whereas Chuck was only one of five members of Styx. Another person fills his role live and in the studio; it was first Glen Burtnik, then Ricky Philips.
ok JIF, you are right, we are wrong. Good Night.

JIF
12-20-2012, 02:15 AM
ok JIF, you are right, we are wrong. Good Night.Saying Chuck is a full-fledged member of Styx is like saying that Chester Thompson and Daryl Struemer were full-fledged members of Genesis. Chuck was a full-fledged member in the old days, but hasn't been since around the time that Dennis was fired. Btw, what's with this "we" crap? You're the only one that seems to think that Chuck is still considered a full member of Styx. You're name is '80s Were Ok for a reason(and not the '70s Were Rad).

GuitarGeek
12-20-2012, 03:18 AM
ain't that the truth. Chuck plays more than one might think, I've seen him at every show in the NJ area since I can remember. He's still a member of the band, period.

OK, fair enough. I just heard it said some years back that one shouldn't expect to see Chuck if you go to see Styx. I had the impression that his health issues preclude him from doing any extensive touring.

JIF
12-20-2012, 03:25 AM
OK, fair enough. I just heard it said some years back that one shouldn't expect to see Chuck if you go to see Styx. I had the impression that his health issues preclude him from doing any extensive touring.I was under the impression that he jumps on stage once in a while, but not all the time.

Kavus Torabi
12-20-2012, 04:24 AM
I'll go you one further: Napalm Death.

No original members!

iguana
12-20-2012, 04:34 AM

No original members!

what, no shane embury any longer? bewildering...

Kavus Torabi
12-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Shane is still with them but he wasn't on side one of the first album.

Rune Blackwings
12-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Hawkwind
Ozric Tentacles
Monster Magnet

80s were ok
12-21-2012, 07:44 PM

No original members!

little river band too!

Rune Blackwings
12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
little river band too!

technically, none of the original members of Monster Magnet are still in it if you count the band from its pre-MM days (Airport 75). It's while Dave Wyndorf was a member of the previous entities that it became "Monster Magnet".

Rufus
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Has anyone mentioned Budgie & Wishbone Ash & G&R ?

Trane
12-23-2012, 07:03 PM
No original members!

Dr Feelgood

everythingtoexcess
12-23-2012, 10:01 PM
I saw Molly Hatchet with NO original members. Apparently the management owned the name after Danny Joe Brown died. I have to say it was a pretty kick-ass show...if you're into that sort of thing. Yeah, it's goofy southern rock, but they played the hell out of it.

JIF
12-23-2012, 10:26 PM
I saw Molly Hatchet with NO original members. Apparently the management owned the name after Danny Joe Brown died. I have to say it was a pretty kick-ass show...if you're into that sort of thing. Yeah, it's goofy southern rock, but they played the hell out of it.Dave Hlubeck is an original member, and he's still with the band.

SteveSly
12-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Dave Hlubeck is an original member, and he's still with the band.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think there was a period of time before Hlubeck came back that the band actually did not have any original members. I saw them once when Danny Joe Brown was the only original. It was a good show, but they only had 1 guitar (Brown did play occasional Rythem guitar too) which was kind of strange.

Steve Sly

Henry Krinkle
12-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Little River Band has been touring without any originals for many many years too.

I saw Prism in the early 80s expecting to see the original band that did Spaceship Superstar and See Forever Eyes etc. It turned out unbenownst to us by the time we saw them all the original members had left or were fired, including the lead singer/founder Ron Tabak, and there was a whole new Prism band that was completely fluffy pop. On top of that these guys played for about 45 minutes and as the crowd got increasingly hostile, they decided to call it quits and made a beeline for their tour bus parked in back. Several of us chased after them letting them know how we felt about their crappy performance, and one of my buddies actually followed them onto their bus berating them, lmao. The venue did not try to discourage the crowd at all, as they were pissed too. :lol

Henry Krinkle
12-24-2012, 02:22 PM
King Crimson

I would suspect that would be true for a good chunk of Crimson fans, even ones who are diehard.

Rufus
12-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Henry ,
Mike is the only original member. Saw them this year . Very good show !

80s were ok
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think there was a period of time before Hlubeck came back that the band actually did not have any original members. I saw them once when Danny Joe Brown was the only original. It was a good show, but they only had 1 guitar (Brown did play occasional Rythem guitar too) which was kind of strange.

Steve Sly
that is correct...

GuitarGeek
12-24-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think there was a period of time before Hlubeck came back that the band actually did not have any original members.

Steve Sly

You're exactly right. During the 90's, Molly Hatchet toured with Brown as the only original member. But in the mid 90's, Brown was sidelined by health issues. I believe had diabetes and may have even had a stroke. So he gave permission to guitarist Bobby Ingram, the longest serving band member other than Brown, to continue touring without him. Checking Wikipedia, it looks like Brown stopped performing in 95, and passed away in 2005, the same year that Hlubek was "invited" back into the fold.

From what I gather, in most US jurisdictions, one is required by law to have at least one original member in any band touring in the respective territories. This might be the reason why Hlubek was brought back into Molly Hatchet, so they could keep on going.

GuitarGeek
12-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I would suspect that would be true for a good chunk of Crimson fans, even ones who are diehard.

Well, given how briefly the original lineup existed, and the fact that they really only did one tour with the original lineup, you're almost certainly correct.

Bucka001
12-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Steppenwolf, although I personally don't consider 'John Kay & Steppenwolf' to really be Steppenwolf.

Shadow
12-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Mahavishnu Orchestra, and that was my first concert back in the 70's.