PDA

View Full Version : Kenso CDs

BLichtenwalner
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know of a good place to find (cheaper) Kenso albums? I am in need of everything but the live albums, Yume no Oka, Esoptron, and Fabulis Miraculis De Bombicosi (or whatever)...

Seven8
11-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Save your money... they are coming out with a box set, supposedly by the end of the year!

BLichtenwalner
11-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Sweet - commercially available on amazon or something?

Reach
11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Save your money... they are coming out with a box set, supposedly by the end of the year!

Wow, cool. I wonder if they are working on anything new?

Shadow
11-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Be prepared to fork out over $400

Progbear
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I’d rather just have the individual CDs, thank you...mainly as the only ones I need are the first one and Utsuroi yuku mono.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Five Suns I”-Guapo/Five Suns

claycorn
11-05-2012, 09:21 PM
i found kenso 2 on amazon for 14 bucks of course try ebay :p160

claycorn
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Shadow
11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIZC-168

JKL2000
11-06-2012, 07:42 AM
BOX-piece progressive rock band first KENSO appeared in a leading Japanese Limited Edition (with serial number) BOX specification luxury housing benefits. Prohibited miss buy, super precious treasure item!
Specifications and gorgeous set of 14 pieces total plus bonus CD that consists of sound precious and ultra 3 title, the original studio album 8 all titles, LIVE album, a bonus DVD with footage LIVE unpublished.
Specifications jacket paper as much as possible to reproduce miniaturized analog LP. (In the case of CD, the original piece into paper sleeve artwork was released based on the CD)
· (SHM-CD, JVC HR-cutting) and the latest digital remastering sound specification is the first high-quality CD KENSO.
Leader of KENSO: with deluxe booklet, including commentary by the newly written songs for the new KENSO Mr. Yoshihisa Shimizu, interview those involved, and unpublished photos.
● Form: all 14-Disc [CD + bonus all 11 titles CD (12 pieces total) + Bonus DVD (one) (one)]
● Specifications: CD sound quality / specification paper jacket (SHM-CD, JVC HR-cutting) special storage BOX specification luxury / deluxe booklet / latest digital remastering sound

http://diskunion.net/clubh/ct/detail/PGL-25000

Reach
11-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I wish we could see what that box set looks like. How about someone take the plunge, and post photos ;)

BLichtenwalner
11-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I wish they would just make the older stuff available for digital download...

Dan Roth
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
I wish we could see what that box set looks like. How about someone take the plunge, and post photos ;)

There isnt a photo of the package yet, but this is a nice official pdf that is advertsing the box and it's contents:

http://www1.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~kenso/news/20120823kensobox.pdf

ProgUK
11-07-2012, 05:49 AM
I have most of them on ebay right now! Get 'em while you can!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs-/176984/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=proguk

Reach
11-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Right-- a couple of you posted the pdf-- thanks.

Shadow
11-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Looking thru my Kenso cds it looks like four of the live discs won't be included and two of the live ones included look like abbreviated versions unless they combined songs on their listings.

rapidfirerob
11-15-2012, 11:36 AM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/CDs-/176984/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=proguk
What are those Marco Minneman albums like?

Yanks2014
11-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm real happy right now that I have all the Kenso studio discs. I really do hope for something new from them.

Shadow
11-15-2012, 04:25 PM
They are one of the few bands that of their 16 releases, 8 are studio and 8 are live.

moecurlythanu
11-16-2012, 12:22 AM
I think I have all of their early stuff, but nothing later than 'Sparta.' Love 'em.

Of their later stuff, what is recommended, bearing in mind that I'm not a great fan of Jazz-Rock/Fusion as such, but love it when put through the Prog-Rock blender?

Progbear
11-16-2012, 02:50 AM
I think I have all of their early stuff, but nothing later than 'Sparta.' Love 'em.

Of their later stuff, what is recommended, bearing in mind that I'm not a great fan of Jazz-Rock/Fusion as such, but love it when put through the Prog-Rock blender?

Lots of folks here seem to like Yume no oka but it’s one of my less-liked Kenso albums. It’s just a little too slick, too “80s fusion” for my tastes. It’s probably the closest in style to Sparta, both albums are like two peas in a pod, the most “digital” sounding Kenso albums.

I really liked Esoptron but not a lot of other people seem to. It’s the odd man out in their catalogue, very stripped-down and hard rocking, yet still aurally Kenso. For me it was a breath of fresh air after the rather stuffy Yume no oka.

Fabulis mirabilibus de bombycosi scriptus (did I get that right? I did it from memory, so forgive me if I didn’t) still has a bit of the hard rock edge, but pulls back a bit, and adds a “world music” feel. I still haven’t quite cracked its shell but it’s a fascinating release all the same. Supposedly, Utsuroi yuku mono carries on in this vein, but I’ve yet to hear it.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
--Shona Laing

N.P.:“Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)”-Pink Floyd/Wish You Were Here

Reach
11-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Yeah, if you like more rock than jazz, check out Esoptron. It's like Led Zeppelin with fusion chops. This is my fave from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24FUj2PNXE

Their last two albums are definitely more 'angular' and complex, and still great.

No Pride
11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Lots of folks here seem to like Yume no oka but it’s one of my less-liked Kenso albums. It’s just a little too slick, too “80s fusion” for my tastes. It’s probably the closest in style to Sparta, both albums are like two peas in a pod, the most “digital” sounding Kenso albums.

I really liked Esoptron but not a lot of other people seem to. It’s the odd man out in their catalogue, very stripped-down and hard rocking, yet still aurally Kenso. For me it was a breath of fresh air after the rather stuffy Yume no oka.

Fabulis mirabilibus de bombycosi scriptus (did I get that right? I did it from memory, so forgive me if I didn’t) still has a bit of the hard rock edge, but pulls back a bit, and adds a “world music” feel. I still haven’t quite cracked its shell but it’s a fascinating release all the same. Supposedly, Utsuroi yuku mono carries on in this vein, but I’ve yet to hear it.

It always fascinates me how fans of the same band have such diverse opinions on the albums they made. Sparta is the first album Kenso made that I liked most of the way through, but I didn't like the recording, particularly the drum sound. Haven't heard the remix, though I'd like to. Yume No Oka is still my favorite. Great compositions, killer keyboard solos, and I thought the drummer exhibited a lot of taste on it; some flashy flourishes, but everything he played seemed right for the compositions. It was his last album with them and though the guy who replaced him is really good (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering Japanese names), I think he's busier and more frenetic than he needs to be. I really like Utsori Yuku Ono in spite of that though; it's a real wild ride with twists and turns all over the place; kind of the musical equivalent of a good action/adventure movie.

Kenso is right up my alley musically, being a fan of both prog and fusion. For me, when both genres are mixed together as coherently as Kenso does it (and I guess we're calling that "prog/fusion" ), it really scratches my itch. I've often wished that there was more improvisation in prog and more thorough composing in fusion, so the sub-genre of prog/fusion is the ideal solution, at least when done right. Bruford (the band) will always be my favorite in the prog/fusion arena, but Kenso comes in somewhere in my top 5 bands of this category.

Yanks2014
11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I really like Utsori Yuku Ono in spite of that though; it's a real wild ride with twists and turns all over the place; kind of the musical equivalent of a good action/adventure movie.

I think you describe that album really well. It's such a dense album, so many things going on, goes in all kinds of directions. Its a seriously proggy effort.

ProgUK
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
What are those Marco Minneman albums like?

To be honest i haven't even listened to them. I think its a mixture of Zappa-esque instrumental stuff and some vocal, but dont hold me to that.

Firth
11-18-2012, 08:22 AM
This NF performance from 2005 was available from Amazon at one time, but not now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vt3MFqgK8s

Zalmoxe
11-19-2012, 03:00 PM

I am salivating over those live ones (which I do not have), but find them a bit too pricey for what I would like to pay!

Yanks2014
11-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm so happy I spent the money for the Kenso live Nearfest DVD. Cost me 65 bucks at the time, but looking back, it was money well spent.

Shadow
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I picked up my box set from Kenso today:

I do remember one thing.
It took hours and hours but..
By the time I was done with it

I was so involved
I didn't know what to think.
I carried it around with me for days and days..
Playing little games
Like not looking at it for a whole day
And then.. looking at it.
To see if I still liked it.
I did.

I repeat myself when under stress.
I repeat..
The more I look at it

The more I like it.
I do think it's good.
The fact is..
No matter how closely I study it

No matter how I take it apart

No matter how I break it down

It remains consistant.
I wish you were here to see it.

I like it.

Yanks2014
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I picked up my box set from Kenso today:

I do remember one thing.

I like it.

Great post! I just shortened it a little.

JKL2000
01-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Ed, are you saying you bought it in a store?

JKL2000
01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Or do you mean you lifted it up?

Shadow
01-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Ed, are you saying you bought it in a store?

Audiophile Imports

Fracktured
01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Great post! I just shortened it a little.

Much like cutting songs down for airplay, you ruined it.

Rick

yogibear
01-30-2013, 08:09 PM
400 bucks for this box

Shadow
01-30-2013, 09:48 PM
400 bucks for this box

If you have to buy it, mine was somewhat cheaper.

Shadow
01-30-2013, 09:51 PM
I listened to the only disc I didn't have, besides the DVD. It was alright, didn't blow me away. It is live and didn't sound as crisp as other live discs I have.

Camelogue
01-30-2013, 11:05 PM
In The West.

Shadow
01-30-2013, 11:45 PM
In The West.

This is one of the ones not in the box set

Rand Kelly
02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
I bought KENSO/KENSO,the one with the origami bird and the skyscrapers at Progfest '95 under Greg Walker's high recommendation and I always felt it could use more guitar. Reminded me of Happy The Man. I also bought the dvd from Greg and it cost me $77. Most expensive music item I have ever paid for unless it was a Box Set like KC-ITCoTCK or LTIA Mothership. Personally,I think this band have outpriced themselves in the market,for me anyway,times are getting tougher day by day and the idea of spending $400 for their music is just ludicrous. But hey,if you can afford it and still pay your bills and eat by all means go for it and write a review. this is not sarcasm,it may come off that way,but anyone who knows me,knows I despise it.

Yanks2014
02-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I bought KENSO/KENSO,the one with the origami bird and the skyscrapers at Progfest '95 under Greg Walker's high recommendation and I always felt it could use more guitar. Reminded me of Happy The Man. I also bought the dvd from Greg and it cost me $77. Most expensive music item I have ever paid for unless it was a Box Set like KC-ITCoTCK or LTIA Mothership. Personally,I think this band have outpriced themselves in the market,for me anyway,times are getting tougher day by day and the idea of spending $400 for their music is just ludicrous. But hey,if you can afford it and still pay your bills and eat by all means go for it and write a review. this is not sarcasm,it may come off that way,but anyone who knows me,knows I despise it.

I think the prices need to be high like this for them to not lose money. I paid 65 for the live DVD from the NF show, well worth it to me, especially having been there for the performance. I wont pay 400 for box set when I already have this music.

battema
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
I think the prices need to be high like this for them to not lose money. I paid 65 for the live DVD from the NF show, well worth it to me, especially having been there for the performance. I wont pay 400 for box set when I already have this music.

It took a while for me to bite the bullet and buy the DVD but yes; in the end it was absolutely worth the price.

I would have also enjoyed a CD release of the show; even though they've got several live discs from the recent past, the setlist and performance at NF really were "Kenso at their peak" for me.

Reach
02-04-2013, 10:04 PM
I wonder if we'll see an album of new material?

battema
02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
That would be pretty much awesome, yep :up

Yanks2014
02-05-2013, 01:47 PM
I wonder if we'll see an album of new material?

Definitiely hoping for that as well.

Paulrus
02-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Happiness. I'm relatively late to this band (I own just one of the live sets) and was seriously bummed to see that all of their stuff was out of print. Wallet, open thy doors...

Shadow
02-06-2013, 01:55 AM
I would have also enjoyed a CD release of the show; even though they've got several live discs from the recent past, the setlist and performance at NF really were "Kenso at their peak" for me.

You can burn the audio from the DVD, I did but it took awhile the way I did it. Next time you come to Orion I will have to make you a copy.

Reach
02-11-2013, 04:54 PM
In the 21st century, so far at least, progressive rock music does not get much better than this. Long Live Kenso. May there still be some creative life left in that brilliant Asian outfit....

ProgGreaser
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
In the 21st century, so far at least, progressive rock music does not get much better than this. Long Live Kenso. May there still be some creative life left in that brilliant Asian outfit....

I concur. Love this group. I bit the bullet and sprung for the Kenso box set. I have a few of their albums, and I have 3 live DVDs they did including the incredible full Nearfest set they released on that hard to get (and expensive) Live in the USA DVD. I decided since so many of their albums are hard to find and not available to get the whole kit and kaboodle. Regretful I did not see this amazing group in 2005 at Nearfest, I skipped that one after being at 01 through 04. Wasn't familiar with their stuff back then, so thank god they shot that whole Nearfest set and put it out on DVD. One of my all time fav DVD releases.
Frustrating that their stuff is so hard to find at reasonable prices. Same with the Japanese group Providence. Can't ever find in print stuff for them.

Yanks2014
02-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Regretful I did not see this amazing group in 2005 at Nearfest, I skipped that one after being at 01 through 04. Wasn't familiar with their stuff back then, so thank god they shot that whole Nearfest set and put it out on DVD. One of my fav all time DVD releases.

I was there, and I was so afraid they wouldn't live up to the impossible expectations I had for their set. What a shock they they blew those expectations out of the water. I felt badly for Le Orme that that they had to follow Kenso, though I ended up liking their set.

Fracktured
02-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I was there, and I was so afraid they wouldn't live up to the impossible expectations I had for their set. What a shock they they blew those expectations out of the water. I felt badly for Le Orme that that they had to follow Kenso, though I ended up liking their set.Much agree with this. Kenso's performance was top notch. Professional but relaxed. One of the best NF shows.

Rick

Yanks2014
02-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Much agree with this. Kenso's performance was top notch. Professional but relaxed. One of the best NF shows.

Rick

And I loved seeing their reaction to the crowd. I think they were as blown away as we were.

adewolf
02-22-2013, 10:19 PM
I have liked this band for years. The NF performance was top notch.

MJBrady
02-22-2013, 11:14 PM
From - http://www.synphonic.8m.com/country/japan.htm

KENSO - Instrumental progressive fusion. Essential! http://www.myspace.com/kensojapan
SAME (JAPANESE PRESSING) $25
III (REMASTERED) (JAPANESE MINI LP SLEEVE) $35
MUSIC FOR UNKNOWN FIVE MUSICIANS (REMASTERED) (2 CD) (JAPANESE MINI LP SLEEVE) $40
MUSIC FOR UNKNOWN FIVE MUSICIANS (2 CD) (JAPANESE TACHIKA MINI LP SLEEVE) $25
SPARTA NAKED (SPARTA REMIXED AND REMASTERED + 2 BONUS TRACKS) $35
YUME NO OKA (REMASTERED) (JAPANESE MINI LP SLEEVE) $35
SORA NI HIKARU: EARLY LIVE VOL. 1 (JAPANESE PRESSING) $20
INEI NO FUE: EARLY LIVE VOL. 2 (JAPANESE PRESSING) $20
ESOPTRON $15
FABULIS MIRABILIBUS BOMBYCOST SCRIPTIS (JAPANESE PRESSING) $30
FABULIS MIRABILIBUS BOMBYCOST SCRIPTIS (MINI LP SLEEVE) $20
UTSUROI YUKU MONO (JAPANESE PRESSING) $30
76/77 (JAPANESE MINI LP SLEEVE) $20
KEN-SON-GU-SU (JAPANESE PRESSING) $30

Reach
02-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Kenso live at NEARfest 2005 was possibly my all-time favourite concert experience. I was already a big fan of the band, and I had little doubt that they would deliver. And they did. Like others here I too picked up the expensive DVD of the NF show. It remains magnificient.

This has probably been their longest stretch since they came out with a new album. If they called it a day, it would still be a fantastic body of work, as can mostly be seen in the list above. Yet, does anyone (Alan?) know if anything is in the works?

Yanks2014
02-24-2013, 01:34 PM
This has probably been their longest stretch since they came out with a new album. If they called it a day, it would still be a fantastic body of work, as can mostly be seen in the list above. Yet, does anyone (Alan?) know if anything is in the works?

They did go 8 years between "Yume No Oka" and "Esoptron". The last album "Utsuroi Yuku Mono" came out in 06, so they are close to their longest stretch.

Shadow
02-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Nothing planned for this year. Getting them to put out a new album is like pulling teeth. ;)

Reach
02-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Ba da bump! ;)

ProgGreaser
02-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Was the 2005 Nearfest appearance the last time they played in the US? Anyone know if they ever did any concerts here after that?

Shadow
02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Was the 2005 Nearfest appearance the last time they played in the US? Anyone know if they ever did any concerts here after that?

I believe they only played here twice, once in 2000 at Progfest and 2005. With lack of interest it is too difficult to set up a tour. I think Kazumi Watanabe is one of the few Japanese fusion musicians to come to the states.

JKL2000
05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Laser's Edge has the Kenso box set now - price looks good! One question - is that the NEARfest DVD that it comes with?

Scrotum Scissor
05-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Kenso - II is the absolute pinnacle of "symph" prog fusion, IMHO. A sort of post-Happy the Man'ish pentatonal wonder. Several other of their studio albums are pretty good-to-great as well, and Esoptron is actually very underrated. It had a somewhat harder, more direct approach, much due to the majority of the album being recorded live-in-the-studio, I believe.

Reach
05-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Lord. If I had some cash to spare I would get it. I might still get it, in spite of that. Just because they're that superb, and exceptional.

Shadow
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Laser's Edge has the Kenso box set now - price looks good! One question - is that the NEARfest DVD that it comes with?

No