PDA

View Full Version : Logic vs Pro Tools for Music

Dean Watson
12-18-2014, 01:26 PM
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing the two most popular DAW's are probably Logic and ProTools. I use ProTools, my son uses Logic. Just wondered what people think the percentage of each is? From a music writing perspective only, ( not video ) what's more popular?

I'd also be curious to know if Logic is used professionally in the industry? Seems the professional market is all Pro Tools ...

Thoughts?

Dusty Chalk
12-18-2014, 06:44 PM
You could probably look those stats up, but yes, it is my experience that most pros use Pro Tools.

I use Cubase, myself.

trurl
12-18-2014, 09:32 PM
ProTools is overpriced garbage. Logic kills it. It's not even a contest. The only reason to have PT is because it's become some de facto standard and people won't come to your studio if you don't have it. But I'm not a Mac guy, I use Sonar.

Oh sorry. IMHO, of course.

Dusty Chalk
12-19-2014, 01:49 AM
Nope, it's true -- when everyone has it, it becomes ubiquitous by default.

And it's easier to work with other people that have it if you have it, although not impossible (most DAWs have the ability to import and export, it's just a matter of how much work it is).

Dean Watson
12-19-2014, 10:37 AM
It's a bit of a shame they stopped development of Logic for windows, they had it years ago ....

Guitarplyrjvb
12-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Wow! Even though the software is relatively inexpensive, you've got to have a pretty nice Mac + the audio interface gear. When I update my rig, I think I'll stay with Sonar and Windows. I know it all works and I won't have to learn new software and configure a bunch of new hardware although Apple probably makes that part easy!

Soc Prof
12-21-2014, 01:14 AM
ProTools is overpriced garbage. Logic kills it.

Kills it in terms of sound quality, features, ease of use, or all of the above?

I read something by Cubase where they claimed to be the most popular DAW.

trurl
12-21-2014, 07:43 AM
All three going by my (admittedly) limited exposure. Well, maybe not features. Bob Katz also told me he does not recommend PT from a technical standpoint. He has a list of "Bob Approved" DAWs and I think Logic and Sonar both make the cut.

Not sure about Cubase. It seems good but I tried to use it once and couldn't wrap my head around the workflow.

Plasmatopia
12-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Wow! Even though the software is relatively inexpensive, you've got to have a pretty nice Mac + the audio interface gear. When I update my rig, I think I'll stay with Sonar and Windows. I know it all works and I won't have to learn new software and configure a bunch of new hardware although Apple probably makes that part easy!

From my experience Apple does make the hardware configuration easier. My iMac had Logic on it until I wiped it clean a few months ago (previous owner had installed it). My PC has Sonar and I had an Edirol FA-101 firewire interface. Nothing but problems. The timing was never right. I had to adjust the latency compensation (can't remember the exact term for it at the moment). But then the MIDI timing was all over the place. I tried to adjust that too, but then I began to wonder....where is "one" exactly, now that I have shifted both the audio and MIDI timing?

I decided one day to plug the Edirol into the iMac. You know how when you plug some new piece of hardware into a PC you get about 40 messages popping up about installing drivers and such? Not a peep out of the iMac. I thought something must be wrong. I fired up Logic, armed a track, and recorded something. Latency correction was spot on. I was pretty disgusted at how much time I'd spent farting around with the PC.

Now I'm back to using Sonar (X1) because that's all I have, but I now have a PreSonus mixing board. I think the drivers are much better because it works flawlessly with the PC.

Guitarplyrjvb
12-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I had latency issues early on, but after I got all the buffer settings configured, I haven't had any problems. My audio interface is an Edirol UA-5 via USB. I'm sure the new stuff works way better and Apple is probably the way to go, but it's definitely a lot more expensive!

Plasmatopia
12-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I had latency issues early on, but after I got all the buffer settings configured, I haven't had any problems. My audio interface is an Edirol UA-5 via USB. I'm sure the new stuff works way better and Apple is probably the way to go, but it's definitely a lot more expensive!

I hear you. I only happen to have 2 iMacs because one was given to us (it has a smashed screen so I use an external monitor) and the other one we got a killer deal on from someone who was upgrading.

Soc Prof
12-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Has anyone tried Presonus Studio One? I picked up a how-to book, and it seems like one of the easier DAWS to navigate. They have a free version (no time limit!) that I plan to try out.

3RDegree_Robert
12-24-2014, 05:41 AM
I have MOTU's Digital Performer 8 and love it. I have been using it since Mac OS9 days in '01 but I don't begrudge other DAW's especially since I've never used any of them to find out that I don't like them.