PDA

View Full Version : New Ennio Morricone Track on "Django Unchained" Soundtrack!!

AncientChord
12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Anyone who loves Spaghetti Westerns and the legendary Western soundtracks of Ennio Morricone will be as excited as I am by this news. Leave it to Quentin Tarantino to be able to squeeze one more new "Western" track from the aging maestro, who years ago vowed never to write a Western score again. Plus the new trailers for the film are just awesome! And the film has also been nominated for 5 Golden Globe awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and two Best Supporting Actor, although I am confident that most of the nods will go to Speilberg's "Lincoln." This news, plus the highly anticipated film itself is a wonderful Christmas gift for this fan boy. What a great homage to Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci, and living legend Ennio Morricone!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/django-unchained-soundtrack-features-james-brown-rick-ross-jim-croce-lots-of-ennio-morricone-more-20121128

Baribrotzer
12-15-2012, 12:54 AM
the aging maestro, who years ago vowed never to write a Western score again. From what I've read of him, these days Morricone wants to be remembered as a sort of modern Mozart, a creator of beautiful, immortal melodies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmax47l2hLU

The problem is, that's not what people think of when they hear "Ennio Morricone". Instead, they think of something more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BQKFs3-VM

And that latter is what people will probably remember him for, and he knows this on some level, and it makes him very crabby. Besides just being old. Another thing that makes him crabby is that besides movie scores, his largest influence probably appears in rock - and, as a "real composer" with extensive old-school training, he considers almost all rock musicians to be very inferior artists.

For which I can't quite blame him. Few if any of the indie-rockers who imitate him do so successfully, because an important part of what makes his music work so well is its fundamental "correctness" underneath all the odd timbres and effects: His structures grow organically from their themes and don't fall back on cliched rules of thumb. His voice-leading could have come out of a textbook. He has the general economy of means of a composer completely the master of his art, and his sense of pacing is damn near perfect. To write music like that as well as he does, you have to know a lot about music, and he knows it. But those rock musicians? They don't.

AncientChord
12-15-2012, 03:25 AM
From what I've read of him, these days Morricone wants to be remembered as a sort of modern Mozart, a creator of beautiful, immortal melodies

I know, but I can't fathom why Morricone can't acknowledge the MANY beautiful and IMO immortal melodies he wrote for the Italian Westerns? To this day, his western scores are described as having beautiful, memorable, haunting themes. He, and just about everyone else on Earth knows that he, Sergio Leone and guitarist, whistler and choral master Alessandro Alessandroni re-invented the Western Movie Soundtrack. And in concert, he still plays a "Western" medley, so he knows what the people love. The uniqueness of his western scores are immortal and timeless. His crabby stiff upper lip attitude only shows me that he can't seem to bear the fact he himself became a Soundtrack Rock Star. He should be happy that young rockers can appreciate his music, and recognize it for how great it truly is. Classical musicians HAVE acknowledged him too, but his crabby reputation is NOT unique with musical geniuses such as himself. Look at Robert Fripp for Christ's sake! As prolific as he is, with hundreds of soundtracks written for many other movie genres, many of them as excellent as the westerns, most of the latter scores do not have the bold, experimental uniqueness of the westerns, and fall into the more fashionable, familiar movie music vein. Whether he likes it or not, history will always remember him for his westerns.