PDA

View Full Version : The Best Keyboardists of the Classic Prog Era

A. Scherze
11-04-2012, 09:08 PM
The Best Keyboardists of the Classic Prog Era (in descending order)

(Disclaimer: This may be obvious, but it needs to be said. This list is not my opinion, but the unmistakeable truth.)

1. Keyth Emerson
2. Patrick Moraz
3. Eddie Jobson
4. Jurgen Fritz
5. Rick Wakeman
6. Rick van der Linden
7. John Tout
8. Flavio Premoli
9. Thyss van Leer
10. Tony Pagliuca

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
No Tony Banks? :O

NogbadTheBad
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Where is Dave Stewart?

Baribrotzer
11-04-2012, 09:25 PM
No Tony Banks? :OI can see his point. Banks was a great songwriter, had first-rate musicality, and a terrific sense of the right notes - but wasn't really on the highest technical level as a player.

That said, I'd put Chick Corea, George Duke, Herbie Hancock, and pretty much all the first-division fusion guys a notch above them. Even Emerson.

zombywoof
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Where is Dave Stewart?

A fantastic and innovative musican. I was just listening to his distorted organ on The Polite Force ... it almost sounds like a guitar.

trurl
11-04-2012, 10:44 PM

(Disclaimer: This may be obvious, but it needs to be said. This list is not my opinion, but the unmistakeable truth.)

1. Keyth Emerson
2. Patrick Moraz
3. Eddie Jobson
4. Jurgen Fritz
5. Rick Wakeman
6. Rick van der Linden
7. John Tout
8. Flavio Premoli
9. Thyss van Leer
10. Tony Pagliuca

Apart from the shocking and unforgivable omission of Kerry Minnear (probably replacing Jurgen) I'd say that's pretty decent. Mine would be something like:

1) Keef
2) Pat
3) Eddie
4) Kerry
5) John Evans
6) Rick
7) Thijs van Leer
8+) + everyone else

A. Scherze
11-04-2012, 11:08 PM
A. Fusion is not Prog.

B. "Best" means more than just technique, but a palette of attributes. For example, Wakeman has a lot of technique, but falls short in many other areas. Which is why he does not rank as high many would think. Chick Corea is bland and uninteresting. Etc.

C. I very much like Hugh Banton and John Evan, but although they have made some very fine music, do not rise to the level needed for inclusion.

Crystal Plumage
11-05-2012, 07:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8C47cD2xg
There can be only one: GIANNI LEONE!

Rarebird
11-05-2012, 08:05 AM
I could add some others
Volker Kahrs
Dorothea Raukes
Hendrik Schaper
Lutz Rahn
Joachim von Grumbkow
Matthias Ulmer

Dodie
11-05-2012, 11:11 AM
It depends whether you want virtuosic technique or imagination, taste for the right colours and playing what was best for the music. I tend to go for the latter in my favourite keyboard players, without disparaging the likes of Moraz, Wakeman, Emerson, etc.
I personally enjoy the playing of Tony Banks and Rick Wright more.
Oh, if we want tasty Hammond and Moog solos, did nobody mention Peter Bardens?

presdoug
11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Nice to see Jurgen Fritz on the list, he's the greatest.
I would also add:
Jasper van't Hof
Vincent Crane
Peter Robinson
Jurgen Dollase
Kristian Schulze
Oliviero Lacagnina
Jo Vescovi

trurl
11-05-2012, 11:19 AM
C. I very much like Hugh Banton and John Evan, but although they have made some very fine music, do not rise to the level needed for inclusion.And Thijs van Leer does? I live TvL and put him on my list but his virtuosity is as a flautist and writer. John Evan is a better and more creative player and should be ranked higher. I checked with God on this and he agrees with me so don't even try to respond.

Corbie
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I checked with God on this and he agrees with me so don't even try to respond.
:lol

East New York
11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
A. Fusion is not Prog.

So...what is prog?

(calmly continues knitting while humming In A Silent Way)

CybrKhatru
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Oh, here we go! LOL ;)

I tend to go with Baribrotzer's line of thinking, even though "prog" and "fusion" are two different (yet often connected) things.

I think I'm too enamored with the jazz greats to participate in this thread with any kind of objectivity. That said, Banks, Emerson, and Minnear are all "best" in my book, for different reasons.

Man In The Mountain
11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Honorable mention...

http://youtu.be/NYGAOeUW9kA

trurl
11-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Oh, here we go! LOL ;)

That said, Banks, Emerson, and Minnear are all "best" in my book, for different reasons.

I *really* should have included Banks. Even though he probably never improvised a note onstage in his life he wrote great lines, had more technical dexterity than he is often given credit for and, of course, was a great composer. I imagine a whole bunch of guys from the Italian wave of bands in the wake of PFM deserve to be on the list- I'm just not as familiar with them.

BTW, hi!!

CybrKhatru
11-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I *really* should have included Banks. Even though he probably never improvised a note onstage in his life he wrote great lines, had more technical dexterity than he is often given credit for and, of course, was a great composer. I imagine a whole bunch of guys from the Italian wave of bands in the wake of PFM deserve to be on the list- I'm just not as familiar with them.

BTW, hi!!

Hello my friend!!! :)

I agree with you 100% (surprise!) :lol: It's definitely for his writing that he makes my short list.

I've heard a lot of fantastic keyboardists as I've investigated the classic years (lots of phenomenal "new" ones too), and I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I don't know enough about them yet to make thoughtful comments....yet !

Magog
11-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I have always thought Pete Bardens was under-rated.

Matt

NogbadTheBad
11-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Nice to see Vincent Crane get a mention

arabicadabra
11-05-2012, 02:01 PM
And WHERE is the one and only ultimate Hammond Maestro himself, the late great Jon Lord?

alanterrill
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I can't agree at all with the original list at the top of this thread. Not only that, but I've never heard of 4,7,8 &10.
My faves from the 70's would be
Dave Stewart
Hugh Banton
Mike Ratledge
Lars Hollmer
Dave Newhouse
Dave Sinclair
Keith Emerson
Jo Zawinul
Rick Wakeman

Dave (in MA)
11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
George Duke

JKL2000
11-05-2012, 03:29 PM
If Fusion isn't Prog, what about bands that seem to sit evenly between Prog and Fusion? Are they prog or fusion?

flytomars
11-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Dave Stewart
Hugh Banton
Mike Ratledge
Lars Hollmer

+1, I wonder why Rateledge took so long to get a mention :)

trurl
11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
George Duke

Oh damn. Absolutely. And Dave Stewart.

Zawinul, while a near god, is not prog. *ducks* :D

walt
11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Steve Miller

Crystal Plumage
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Bo Hansson.

Progmatic
11-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Marian Varga ... and I say it he is better than KE (bite me):cool

alanterrill
11-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Zawinul, while a near god, is not prog. *ducks* :D

Its only afterwards that people have taken to dividing things into prog/fusion/avant/rio etc. In the 70s Weather Report were in the section labelled progressive in the record shops. I remember my girlfriend bought me Matching Mole's Little Red Record and Weather Report's 'I sing the Body Electric' for my 19th birthday. I didn't distinguish as to categories -they were both a bit out of the mainstream and i still like them both (or I should say all three -I still love my girlfriend/wife, some 40 years later:lol.)

rcarlberg
11-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Holy Kadooks, nobody has mentioned Rick van der Linden yet? He -- along with Emerson and Wakeman -- constitute the Big Three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0XlvM_p7o

rcarlberg
11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
6. Rick van der LindenNevermind

Vic2012
11-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Steve Walsh or Kerry Livgren.

A. Scherze
11-05-2012, 07:46 PM
If Fusion isn't Prog, what about bands that seem to sit evenly between Prog and Fusion? Are they prog or fusion?

Your first question demonstrates that Prog and Fusion ARE separate categories.

The answer to the second is obvious ...

PROFUSION.

trurl
11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Its only afterwards that people have taken to dividing things into prog/fusion/avant/rio etc. In the 70s Weather Report were in the section labelled progressive in the record shops. I remember my girlfriend bought me Matching Mole's Little Red Record and Weather Report's 'I sing the Body Electric' for my 19th birthday. I didn't distinguish as to categories -they were both a bit out of the mainstream and i still like them both (or I should say all three -I still love my girlfriend/wife, some 40 years later:lol.)I know, I'm just stirring the pot :D

JKL2000
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM

How about if I phrase it this way: "What about bands that are clearly both progressive and fusion, like for instance some of Lalle Larsson's solo albums?"

polmico
11-05-2012, 08:07 PM
C. I very much like Hugh Banton and John Evan, but although they have made some very fine music, do not rise to the level needed for inclusion.

Huh. My list starts with Banton. I must have the worst best list.

zombywoof
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Huh. My list starts with Banton. I must have the worst best list.

I don't know if my list starts with Banton, but he's certainly high (same with John Evan). Its not all about technical proficiency (though both, particularly Evan, ARE proficient). Banton is extremely innovative. The amount of sound that comes from two keyboards (or a guitar and a keyboard) and drums is enormous, particularly when you some of these alternative bands that have 5 or 6 people and sound half the size of VdGG.

albertjohn3
11-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I am a fan of Keith Emerson, Erik Norlander, and Ryo Okomato.

trurl
11-05-2012, 10:23 PM

The answer to the second is obvious ...

PROFUSION.

Agreed- I'd put put Bruford and maybe parts of the first UK album in the category of Profusion, Return To Forever and Weather Report in the "just fusion" category. That's me, ymmv :)
Profusion is actually a great word even though I guess technically just "fusion" is already supposed to mean the same thing! But Bruford is more like rock guys trying to be jazzy while RtF is more like jazz guys trying to rock.

Mr. Grizzly Bear
11-05-2012, 10:35 PM
My faves of the classic era:

Kerry Minnear
Patrick Moraz
Dave Stewart
Dave Greenslade
Eddie Jobson
Tony Banks
Kit Watkins
David Sancious

Dok
11-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I like GB's list. Dave Greenslade = the Bill Evans of progressive rock. Kerry however is my favorite if I had to absolutely pick one.

happytheman
11-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Kit Watkins anyone?

Troopers For Sound
11-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I *really* should have included Banks. Even though he probably never improvised a note onstage in his life he wrote great lines, had more technical dexterity than he is often given credit for and, of course, was a great composer.

He improvised every night during the Waiting Room on the Lamb tour of course. Agree though about his technical ability being often overlooked - his solos, although not improvised on stage - had such brilliant invention in them. And some of his techniques, like the cross handed piano style on the Lamb, were quite unique and innovative.

And THIS is my first post in the new place, so fingers crossed.......

Matt.

A. Scherze
11-06-2012, 06:56 AM
But Bruford is more like rock guys trying to be jazzy while RtF is more like jazz guys trying to rock.

This is similar to my opinion.

Prog is Rock incorporating elements of Classical, Jazz, and instruments and ideas from the avant-garde (such as synths and tape studio techniques).

Fusion is Jazz incorporating elements of Rock (styles and instruments).

Both have their fans, but are reviled by fundamentalist purist critics in their respective genres.

However, even though they arose in the same era, shared concepts/instruments/aims, and are filed in the same section by some pinhead record store (which, BTW, is obviously a fount of advanced musicology), they are really an example of parallel evolution.

BobM
11-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Kit Watkins anyone?

well that certainly took forever to get Kit on this list.

A. Scherze
11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
This is a BEST list, not "who I like the most" or "who had a unique aspect" or just "let's list keyboardists" list.
Prog has many excellent keyboardists (and, other excellent instrumentalists (but, surprisingly, not many vocalists)).
But, for BEST, one needs abilities in multiple areas (breadth) and, also, depth.

Levgan
11-06-2012, 10:10 AM
But, for BEST, one needs abilities in multiple areas (breadth) and, also, depth.

Lars Hollmer had all that and more.

alanterrill
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
But how do we know what BEST is? Are you talking about just technique (ie 'chops') because probably only those who are skilled musicians themselves can judge that, but for non-musicians like me, I can only judge by looking at those that meant something to me, and that is a combination of technical abilty, compositional skills, imagination with the sounds they got from the keyboard and their abilty to work with the others in the band. And since some of us will like massive distortion and others like very clean sounds, I can't see how their can be any absolute ,'best' list - it depends on your opinion and what you look for in a keyboard player. For me Dave Stewart was the 'best' from the seventies because he introduced me to unusual time signatures, unusual song structures; he got some great sounds out of a standard organ; he played a major role in three of my favourite bands of the 70's (Egg, Hatfield and National Health); he wrote some great tunes and he made a major contribution to albums by Hugh Hopper and Steve Hillage . And he had great musical knowledge, writing regular colums in a keyboard magazine, and authoring a couple of books. And he had a great sense of humour and good story writing skills. But he doesn't even figure in your top ten. Why? Because we have different tastes I suspect, that is all.

alanterrill
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Lars Hollmer had all that and more.
I second that!

Rarebird
11-06-2012, 10:15 AM
This is a BEST list, not "who I like the most" or "who had a unique aspect" or just "let's list keyboardists" list.
Prog has many excellent keyboardists (and, other excellent instrumentalists (but, surprisingly, not many vocalists)).

And how does one define best? Being able to play the fastest runs?

polmico
11-06-2012, 11:08 AM

I stand by my pick.

trurl
11-06-2012, 11:36 AM
And how does one define best?

By their performance in Thunderdome, obviously.

Duh.

:D

presdoug
11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
I also wanted to mention-

Wolfgang Dauner
Eddie Spence

ca1ore
11-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I think Tony Banks belongs at the top of any list of best prog keyboard players. He may not have been the most technically proficient player (although he is probably underrated in this respect), but I can't think of anyone else who was his equal in terms of composition and the use of chords. Brilliant stuff! I'd also have considered Peter Bardens and Dave Sinclair for a top 10 list.

A. Scherze
11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I can't see how their can be any absolute ,'best' list ...

Of course not.

That's why I not only included a disclaimer, but made it very tongue-in-cheek. Because, obviously, there is no objective measure that we can apply.

No, wait, I'm just yankin' ya. My list is the TRUTH. Everyone else is wrong.

Screw god. I killed him. I'm in charge now!

MWAH HAH HA!!!!!

Arkangel3
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
OK...I'll give it a go (in some particular order, but I have no idea what...):

Classic Era-

Keith Emerson
Rick Wakeman
Rick Wright
Patrick Moraz
Eddie Jobson
Tony Banks
Peter Bardens
Kit Watkins
Tom Coster (Santana Band from 72-85)
David Sancious
Geoff Downes

MODERN ERA:

Erik Norlander
Ryo Okomoto
Jordan Rudess
Tomas Bodin
Mark Kelly
Andy Tillison

SYNTHESISTS:

Jean Michel Jarre
Edgar Froese
Chris Franke
Paul Haslinger
Michael Hoenig
Wendy Carlos
Larry Fast (Synergy)
Vangelis
Amin Bhatia

JAZZ/FUSION:

Josef Zawinul
Chick Corea
Herbie Hancock
Lyle Mays

itserik
11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Tony Banks
Eddie Jobson
Eddie Jobson
Eddie Jobson
Dave Stewart
Ricky
Moraz
Emerson

itserik
11-06-2012, 03:45 PM

MODERN ERA:

Erik Norlander
Ryo Okomoto
Jordan Rudess
Tomas Bodin
Mark Kelly

Andy Tillison belongs at the top or near the top of this list. Fantastic talent.

arabicadabra
11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Jon Lord - without whom I dare say 75 % of the players you're all listing wouldn't have even started playing!

simon moon
11-06-2012, 03:53 PM
No list would be complete without at least one of the Nocensi brothers. Vittorio is the most likely candidate.

Did anyone mention Kerry Minear?

In the modern era, it doesn't get much better than Fabrizio Puglisi from Deus Ex Machina.

Arkangel3
11-06-2012, 03:59 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!! OMG...and I'm friends w Andy! ROTF! How could I have forgotten...not enough coffee, LOL! I am re-editing to include the incomparable, amazing, and genius of Mr Andy Tillison!

simon moon
11-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Its only afterwards that people have taken to dividing things into prog/fusion/avant/rio etc. In the 70s Weather Report were in the section labelled progressive in the record shops. I remember my girlfriend bought me Matching Mole's Little Red Record and Weather Report's 'I sing the Body Electric' for my 19th birthday. I didn't distinguish as to categories -they were both a bit out of the mainstream and i still like them both (or I should say all three -I still love my girlfriend/wife, some 40 years later:lol.)

Exactly!

Prog and fusion both fall under the umbrella of "progressive music".

There are way too many bands that some people would call fusion and just as many would call prog. I just call them all progressive music.

arise_shine
11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
1. Kit Watkins
2. [everyone else]

And it's not even close.

A. Scherze
11-06-2012, 04:24 PM
SYNTHESISTS:

Wendy Carlos

:up:up:up:up:up

All hail Wendy Carlos!!

Timesteps is one of greatest masterworks ever recorded.

Not to mention SOB, Tron, etc.

Crystal Plumage
11-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Do you think Ton Scherpenzeel is any good? I've heard some good things from him.

A. Scherze
11-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Prog and fusion both fall under the umbrella of "progressive music".

But, jazz is a "progressive music". As is classical, avant-garde electronic, etc. etc.

Where do you stop?

And, what about the reverse? When Emerson writes a fugue, does that make him a Baroque composer?

British folk music and Chinese folk music might be lumped together, but that does mean they are related.

There are way too many bands that some people would call fusion and just as many would call prog. I just call them all progressive music.

Don't mistake what something is for what it is called. A thing is not its label.

Consider, also, that "progress" does not mean improvement. It means movement towards a goal.

In music, when you have a chord progression, the chords don't improve.

In a group of progressive exercises, they don't better, just more difficult.

If you are hiking from San Francisco to Newark, with every step you are making progress, but that does not mean Newark is preferable to SF.

trurl
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
And, what about the reverse? When Emerson writes a fugue, does that make him a Baroque composer?

Yes it does, if Baroque is now considered a style and he wrote it in that style. Of course originally baroque simply indicated the time the composer lived and everything they might have done would be baroque no matter how it sounded. In that sense a modern composer can no more be baroque than a California sparkling wine can be Champagne. Should the discussion be about the technicalities of a designation, or the thing itself? :)

Dodie
11-06-2012, 05:18 PM
When Emerson writes a fugue, does that make him a Baroque composer?

Ah. Didn't take long for this to get silly, did it? LOL
I have a hard time persuading some of my friends that Monteverdi is a baroque composer, and some of them are adamant that Pergolesi isn't. Best not touch that one with a bargepole - it's easier to talk about what "Prog" is... ;-)

Anyway, the best keyboardist is just the one who makes the best music. I'd rather listen to Rick Wright's G minor chord textures for the opening of "Shine on you crazy diamond" than much of the sheer rubbish that Rick Wakeman has done over the years. To me, it's a no brainer that Rick Wright was a much more thoughtful and judicious musician than Wakeman (whose best stuff I adore in a different way).

I see a few people are cheating and including modern prog keyboardists. If we do that, then for me it's simple:
Jem Godfrey (Frost)
John Beck (It Bites, Kino)
Mark Kelly (Marillion)
Simon Åkesson (Moon Safari)
Neal Morse

I like a lot of Martin Orford's work, but I'm not sure I'd rank him as a player as highly as the above.

No Pride
11-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Chick Corea is bland and uninteresting.
:O

You and I live in different universes. In yours, I would guess that Angelina Jolie is a dog and Michael Jordan was a mediocre basketball player. I think I'll stay in mine.

BobM
11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Does anyone remember ther you tube clip of Emerson playing alongside Oscar Peterson. Oscar just blew him away. Does that make Emerson a bad pianist and not one of "the best"? Hell no. He is and was a prog mainstay with many imitators and a wonderful compositional and performance sense and dynamite chops - just not in the same way as Oscar.

The 70's were a wonderful time for a keyboardist, with all those synths that could finally compete with a guitar in a rock band. You could really solo. Today's keyboardists are primarily mood setters (not all, but most) and their job is just as important. They just don't always show off their chops as much and play for the betterment of the song. Does that mean they aren't eligible for "the best" list? Hell no again. They are indeed setting a mood and making the song better overall and coming up with some incredible sounds and textures.

As good as someone like Jan Hammer might be (and he definitely belongs on a best list) he was not someone you would count on back in the day to lay down a texture. He was a solo monster though.

trurl
11-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Angelina Jolie IS a dog. But that's another thread. It took me years to appreciate Chick but seeing RTF a couple years ago cured me :D

No Pride
11-06-2012, 06:31 PM
As good as someone like Jan Hammer might be (and he definitely belongs on a best list) he was not someone you would count on back in the day to lay down a texture. He was a solo monster though.
Have you heard Jan's debut solo album, "The First Seven Days?" 1975, I think. It's very textural. Closer to symph prog than fusion, actually. I don't think the Mahavishnu Orchestra required him to be a textural player.

No Pride
11-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Angelina Jolie IS a dog. But that's another thread. It took me years to appreciate Chick but seeing RTF a couple years ago cured me :D
Cool, one less guy for me to compete with when her and Brad finally get divorced.

IMHO, Chick Corea has always been one of the greatest improvisers in the world. I prefer hearing him on acoustic or Rhodes though.

A. Scherze
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
It took me years to appreciate Chick but seeing RTF a couple years ago cured me :D

I saw the original band and then the classic line-up (when they opened for Renaissance).
And, of course, they were on the radio a lot back then and I had friends who were into fusion.

MEH.

A. Scherze
11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
But how do we know what BEST is? Are you talking about just technique (ie 'chops') because probably only those who are skilled musicians themselves can judge that, ...

Well ... if you want to go that route, look at the Keyboard Magazine polls. Emerson won so many times that they had to put him in the Hall of Fame just to give others a chance.

Tony Banks

just watching.

dropforge
11-07-2012, 12:25 AM

Classic Era-

Keith Emerson
Rick Wakeman
Rick Wright
Patrick Moraz
Eddie Jobson
Tony Banks
Peter Bardens
Kit Watkins
David Sancious
Geoff Downes

Solid list but you can't put Geoff Downes and Rick Wright in there and leave Claudio Simonetti and Rick van der Linden out.

MODERN ERA:

Erik Norlander
Ryo Okomoto
Jordan Rudess
Tomas Bodin
Mark Kelly

I don't like everything he's been involved in, but Clive Nolan should be in there.

SYNTHESISTS:

Jean Michel Jarre
Edgar Froese
Chris Franks
Paul Haslinger
Michael Hoenig
Wendy Carlos
Larry Fast (Synergy)
Vangelis
Amin Bhatia

Tsk tsk, where are Johannes Schmoelling and Suzanne Ciani? I'd add Roger Powell, too.

JAZZ/FUSION:

Josef Zawinul
Chick Corea
Herbie Hancock
Lyle Mays

No fusion keyboardist best-of list should exclude Jan Hammer. A Bugs Bunny white glove slap for that! :D

dropforge
11-07-2012, 12:29 AM

You could count on him for that and just about anything. He was an accomplished jazz organist and pianist before he was an electric fusion figurehead. The dude plays drums and guitar, too. Check out The First Seven Days, Like Children, Time Is Free and Hip Address (the last two are collabs with David Earle Johnson) for texture up the ass.

dropforge
11-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Anyway, the best keyboardist is just the one who makes the best music. I'd rather listen to Rick Wright's G minor chord textures for the opening of "Shine on you crazy diamond" than much of the sheer rubbish that Rick Wakeman has done over the years. To me, it's a no brainer that Rick Wright was a much more thoughtful and judicious musician than Wakeman (whose best stuff I adore in a different way).

I look at this way: one Rick W took a lot more chances and played a lot more aggressively than the other Rick W. Their playing was worlds apart. One was fine with being more or less an accompanist, the other set out to be his own guy in a major way. Both were members of very popular rock bands (one outsold the other by far, though).

A. Scherze
11-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Both Wakeman and Emerson have proven their bona fides as accompanists.

And, they certainy could that in a restrained manner. See, for example, Battlefield, AYAI, Space Oddity.

Dodie
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
^yes, but I still think Rick Wright's piano part in "Us and Them" is better music ;-)

soblivious
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Always a difficult one to call ... Over the years I've depped for Emerson, the Wakemans and Geoff Downes
I've also been the other bloke in Greenslade
That said IMHO my favourites tend to lie in other areas....

Patrick Moraz
Rick Van der Linden
Dave Stewart
Eddie Jobson
Kerry Minnear
Tony Banks
Thijs van Leer (who plays flute on our new album:-)
David Sancious
Dave Greenslade

cheers jy
www.johnyoungband.com
Life Signs out on Esoteric in January...it's prog Jim but not as we know it!

ItalProgRules
11-07-2012, 12:41 PM
How 'bout a shout-out to Manfred Wiekzorke ?

After all, he played some stellar keys for not one but two classic German bands, ELOY and JANE. The epic "Windows" on JANE's "Live at Home" is probably the best example of what he could do.

No Pride
11-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I saw the original band and then the classic line-up (when they opened for Renaissance).
And, of course, they were on the radio a lot back then and I had friends who were into fusion.

MEH.
I take it you're not much of a fusion fan and even less of a straight-ahead jazz fan. That's cool, we all have our preferred flavors. I could ramble on about why I think Chick is an incredible musician and composer, but it would be a waste of bandwidth.

As far as my favorite classic era PROG keyboardists, they would be:

Keith Emerson
Kerry Minnear
Tony Banks
Patrick Moraz
Steve Walsh

I'm carefully leaving out fusion players from the same era, otherwise my list would be more than twice as long. I guess it's potential cause for debate, but I consider Kit Watkins to be a fusion player.

dropforge
11-07-2012, 02:20 PM
I guess it's potential cause for debate, but I consider Kit Watkins to be a fusion player.

I know what you mean. I hear a lot of Jan Hammer in his solos.

ajcmixer
11-07-2012, 02:44 PM
In not exact order and with the caveat that I was raised on American radio in the 70's...;)

Keith Emerson
Rick Wakeman
Steve Walsh
Kerry Livgren
Tony Banks
John Evans
John Tout
Rick Wright
Jim Gilmour
Dennis DeYoung

Peace,
Alex

philsunset
11-07-2012, 03:01 PM
My top three

Keith Emerson
Tony Banks
Dave Stewart

No Pride
11-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Dave Stewart
DOH! I was a fool to forget him!

A. Scherze
11-07-2012, 03:33 PM
David Sancious

I saw Tone at the Trenton War Memorial. Very good show. Enjoyed the records. I haven't listened to them in a long time, though.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-07-2012, 03:57 PM
This list is not my opinion, but the unmistakeable truth

With that in mind the clear #1 is Herbie Hancock.

Chick Corea and Flavio Premoli coming in tied for 2nd

Of course, I'm not talking about Herbie and Chick's Jazz recordings; only their forays into Rock

CybrKhatru
11-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I purposefully left out the people whom I believe to be the best keyboardists making music during the classic Prog era, because they were not "prog" players per se: :)

Keith Jarrett
Herbie Hancock
Joe Zawinul

zombywoof
11-07-2012, 04:33 PM
How about Tim Hodgkinson? A tasteful, jazz inspired keyboardist. Henry Cow were always phenomonal musicians.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-09-2012, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=JKL2000;1186]If Fusion isn't Prog, what about bands that seem to sit evenly between Prog and Fusion?QUOTE]Back in the 70s all musicians who expounded upon the Rock sound were considered to be doing PROGRESSIVE things with ROCK music. It all began around 1969 and back in the 70s no one I knew discriminated against Jazz musicians who played Rock. There was no distinction about either Symph Rock or Jazz Rock being "Prog" or not. Every musician who took Rock music beyond the previously perceived boundaries was equally progressive. Nowadays, folks who werent around back then or existed in very small, segregated, myopic communities in the 70s (I have no doubt there were some) want to insist that *only* Symph style Rock is proper "Prog". This seems truly idiotic and limiting to me considering the wonderful multi-cultural atmosphere of progressive Rock music I grew up in during the 70s.

Both Symph and Fusion have always been and will always continue to be part of the world of progressive Rock music AFAIC.

rickmoraz
11-09-2012, 05:11 PM
No Order

Wakeman
Moraz
Jobson
Corea
Minnear
Emo
Watkins
Hammer
Vangelis
Banks

Zeuhlmate
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Jan Hammer
Kerry Minnear
Dave Stewart
Roger Powell
Keith Emerson
Patrizio Fariselli
Flavio Premoli
Moraz

Musitron
11-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Emerson and Wakeman were the best but I'm happy some mention Dave Greenslade.

What about Manfred Man? I'm just kidding ;o)

Man In The Mountain
11-14-2012, 05:01 PM
What about Manfred Man? I'm just kidding ;o)
Why? He's totally over-looked, IMO. Many of his synth solos are to die for, and he does has a very unique signature sound.

Progbear
11-15-2012, 12:15 AM
How 'bout a shout-out to Manfred Wiekzorke ?

After all, he played some stellar keys for not one but two classic German bands, ELOY and JANE. The epic "Windows" on JANE's "Live at Home" is probably the best example of what he could do.

I like Manfred best in Eloy, especially on “Land of No Body,” but all of Inside and Floating show off his playing to good effect. Didn’t care for his work with Jane as much, I thought Werner Nadolny was their best keyboardist. Though I have to mention Gottfried Janko, who achieves the most amazing powerdrill Hammond tone imaginable on Lady Jane (Though the man should never, ever, ever sing!).

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“I testimoni (Parte 1)”-Latte e Miele/Passio Secundum Mattheum

mogrooves
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Graham Field (Rare Bird; Fields)

Lino
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
I was going to add the superb Dave Greenfield from the Stranglers (who i do consider in the progressive rock catergory)...but noticed it's best of "classic prog era". carry on... :)

Jymbot
11-15-2012, 03:08 PM
And I was going to reply to Lino's post about Dave Greenslade, but now I notice its Greenfield from Stranglers.
Well ferk it anyways:

best Dave Greenslade solo is not found on any Greenslade lp or his solos.

Anyone care to guess?

Musitron
11-15-2012, 03:19 PM
And I was going to reply to Lino's post about Dave Greenslade, but now I notice its Greenfield from Stranglers.
Well ferk it anyways:

Anyone care to guess?

Colosseum

Jymbot
11-15-2012, 03:28 PM
No. Not that easy.
This is a question for Prog Mastermen.

gregory
11-15-2012, 03:30 PM
My list of best classic prog keyboardists:
Keith Emerson
Kerry Minnear
Hugh Banton
Tony Banks
Vincent Crane
Dave Greenslade
Jon Lord
Rick Wakeman
Patrick Moraz
Chick Corea
Flavio Premoli
Eddie Jobson

gregory
11-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Well ferk it anyways:

Anyone care to guess?
Some prefer his work with Colosseum, some with Greenslade. He obviously did better with Greenslade, more refined and inventive solos. Melange, for example.

Musitron
11-15-2012, 03:41 PM
If? Anyways, to me his best work (Dave Greenslade) is from The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony.

gregory
11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
If? Anyways, to me his best work (Dave Greenslade) is from The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony.
Oh no. For me it's not his best. Wasn's pleased with naive tunes and pitiful synths, sorry. I think in company with Dave Lawson he did his best. They enriched each other musically.

dlm
11-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Always a difficult one to call ... Over the years I've depped for Emerson, the Wakemans and Geoff Downes
I've also been the other bloke in Greenslade
That said IMHO my favourites tend to lie in other areas....

Patrick Moraz
Rick Van der Linden
Dave Stewart
Eddie Jobson
Kerry Minnear
Tony Banks
Thijs van Leer (who plays flute on our new album:-)
David Sancious
Dave Greenslade

cheers jy
www.johnyoungband.com
Life Signs out on Esoteric in January...it's prog Jim but not as we know it!

Nice to see David Sancious mentioned. He did some great stuff on the first two Springsteen albums. Also the recent Jeff Beck tour.

gregory
11-15-2012, 04:21 PM

And he recorded some nice solos in '90s...I have three of his albums. Mostly funky stuff, mixed with jazz rock in a latin way.

Matt Stevens
11-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Where is Dave Stewart?

He's my favorite, just for the playing on the Bruford albums. Really odd and unusual.

Musitron
11-15-2012, 04:28 PM
He's my favorite, just for the playing on the Bruford albums. Really odd and unusual.

Well I did not know Dave Stewart but if he's playing on 'One of a kind', then he's one of my favorite now. He's one of a kind :roll

Rufus
11-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Emerson, Wakeman & Argent in that order!!!

Musitron
11-16-2012, 12:31 PM
What about Max Crook? (who the heck is Max Crook?) |)

ca1ore
11-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Why? He's totally over-looked, IMO. Many of his synth solos are to die for, and he does has a very unique signature sound.

Totally agree, some of his solos are goose bump worthy.

soblivious
11-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Mmm ...slight oversight Rod Argent ... should have included him :-)
Nice little story re Dave Stewart from when I first started I was in a jazz rock band called England's National Sport based in Liverpool and Bruford did a local show. We did mostly original tunes but at the time we were trying to learn Beelzebub I just could not get the chords in the central section so when I spied him at the gig I asked what they were. He grabbed a sheet of manuscript and wrote them out for me ....what a lovely chap :-)
jy
www.johnyoungband.com

zombywoof
11-17-2012, 04:38 PM
^Excellent story, thanks for sharing!!

philsunset
11-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Cool Dave Stewart story! I've got one too. Dave and Barbara Gaskin played at a Detroit record store back in 1990. I got there a couple of hours early and hung out while they set up their gear. When they were done, they stepped off stage and I was able to chat with them for a while. They couldn't have been nicer. They signed a bunch of cds, Dave wrote out a list of all their singles and they answered a bunch of questions. (One of the questions was about a sequencer part in the song Grey Skies). Then Dave invited me up on stage and gave me a tour of his keyboard setup. Quite the thrill! During the show, which was great, they played Grey Skies. When that sequencer part started, Dave pointed at me from the stage! It was an evening I'll not forget.

soblivious
11-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Yup he's a lovely bloke... I've worked with Bonnie Tyler since 1993 and our bass player is Ed Poole (most fabulous player) his story is that Dave Stewart played the organ at his wedding :-)
jy
www.johnyoungband.com

Big Ears
11-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I find it difficult to choose between Emerson and Wakeman for the title of 'best'. There were rumours that they intended to form a band together and, while the story may have been apocryphal, we can still dream. Ian McDonald deserves a mention here too.

soblivious
11-18-2012, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=Big Ears;7327]I find it difficult to choose between Emerson and Wakeman for the title of 'best'.
I know most people will look at that as being the option but I'm afraid for me neither of them would even be in contention. I think they are probably the most well known but that doesn't always mean they are the best....

yogibear
11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Fusion is a sub genre of jazz and jazz rock not of progressive rock. The fusion guys are all much more adept and killer and versatile. I love fusion but he did say classic prog era and while jon lord is a great player he is basically a rock band keyboard player who dabbles and was influenced by classical music.I agree that the Focus guy is a very good player but he is basically a flute virtuoso and a singer. prog players were mostly accompanists and set the scenes for the songs with a few that could really take control of a tune and add "magic" to it. So to answer this correctly one had/has to adapt the meanings and defns of the genres back in the day and not todays everything is prog idea.

I've not heard a lot of the proto keyboardist so i can't say how they are compared to those i've listened to and heard , so a best of list depends on if the majority of those commenting have heard most of the players from the classic prog era to really make a qualified list as to who's best.
so for me the best are : emerson , wakeman , van der linden, banks, minear.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-19-2012, 02:40 AM
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
Keith Emo
Dave Stewart
Kit Watkins
Flavio Premoli
Bernie Worrell
Jan Hammer
Claude Cave
Rick Wakeman
Rick Van Der Linden
Pete Bardens

pretty much in that order

those were the players me and my Prog friends most admired in the 70s anywayz

I would mention Joe Zawinul but he never really Rocked like the ones listed above

Musitron
11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Can we consider Brian Eno as a keyboard player? Or was he just a technician or an synthesizer operator? Some call him a "non-musician."

To me he was genius and deserve to be in the top 10 of the The Best Keyboardists of the Classic Prog Era.

Scrotum Scissor
11-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Instrumentally, I think Mike Ratledge, Vincent Crane and Billy Ritchie (of Clouds) were by far the greatest. Creatively and compositionally, I'd take Richard Harvey, Tim Hodgkinson, Robert John Godfrey and Tony Banks over just about any of the "mainstaying" UK keys wizards. Internationally, Patrizio Fariselli (AreA), Benoit Widemann (Magma), Lars Hollmer (Samla Mammas Manna), Jukka Gustavsson (Wigwam) and Kit Watkins (Happy the Man) were at the very top of the heap.

However, Dave Stewart was both technically, creatively and compositionally outstanding, particularly with Egg, Hatfield and the North and National Health. He's my fave.

Don't care much for either Wakeman or Emerson. Moraz and Premoli both beat them both to their boots, IMHO.

Musitron
11-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Don't care much for either Wakeman or Emerson. Moraz and Premoli both beat them both to their boots, IMHO.

LOL Have you seen Emerson live?

Scrotum Scissor
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
LOL Have you seen Emerson live?

Er, yes. But what on earth has that got to do with the subjective bias of judgment or evaluation? Emerson is an awesome player, technically speaking. His music and thus his actual employment of the keys as instrumental essence just never had too much staying power with me. I still enjoy some of his playing on Nice, ELP, Tarkus and BSS, but that's about it.

Watanabe
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Premoli was a really nice player, but i always thought 90% of his playing on the classic pfm albums was actually far too Emerson influenced to really give him his own distinctive style.As much so as Di Cioccio was initially a Mike Giles copycat(in a good way though).

Rarebird
11-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Can we consider Brian Eno as a keyboard player? Or was he just a technician or an synthesizer operator? Some call him a "non-musician."

To me he was genius and deserve to be in the top 10 of the The Best Keyboardists of the Classic Prog Era.
I think he has called himself a non-musician. He was a technician and a synthesizer operator and in that field he is one of the best. I wouldn't call him a keyboard player and certainly not one of the best keyboardists.

No Pride
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Loved all those Dave Stewart stories, thanks guys! The personal stories of players I admire don't affect how I feel about their music, but I sure do prefer hearing positive stories about my musical heros. Just from reading the narrative booklet from "National Health Complete" I got the impression that DS would be a cool guy to hang with and those anecdotes helped confirm that.

Musitron
12-01-2012, 10:30 AM
John Hawken should get considarations.

Elbon One
12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
W.E.B.

cNektar
12-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I think Greg Giuffria should get a mention with all the other greats mentioned.

Stickleback
12-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Has anyone mentioned Rod Argent?

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
12-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Barry Miles should be mentioned as well

BobM
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
I didn't read through all of the pages, but if anyone knows of and listens to the relatively unknown "Caldera" then you might agree that I nominate Eduardo del Barrio.

Mr. Grizzly Bear
12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Mmm ...slight oversight Rod Argent ... should have included him :-)
Nice little story re Dave Stewart from when I first started I was in a jazz rock band called England's National Sport based in Liverpool and Bruford did a local show. We did mostly original tunes but at the time we were trying to learn Beelzebub I just could not get the chords in the central section so when I spied him at the gig I asked what they were. He grabbed a sheet of manuscript and wrote them out for me ....what a lovely chap :-)
jy
www.johnyoungband.com

Now THAT is a class act!!

ajcmixer
12-26-2012, 06:10 PM
In no particular order:

Keith Emerson
Rick Wakeman
John Tout
Kerry Livgren
John Evan
Steve Walsh
Patrick Moraz
Tony Banks
Richard Wright
Eddie Jobson

Some of the above named were not exactly "speed demons" but speed is to my ears very overrated and guys like Richard Wright, John Tout and perhaps even Tony Banks are deserving to be on my list simply for what they bought to the overall musical plate.

Peace,
Alex

rich
12-26-2012, 11:45 PM
A. Fusion is not Prog.

B. "Best" means more than just technique, but a palette of attributes. For example, Wakeman has a lot of technique, but falls short in many other areas. Which is why he does not rank as high many would think. Chick Corea is bland and uninteresting. Etc.

These list's are just our opinions so no one is really right or wrong... having said that my list would begin with Tony Banks, simply a great writer and extremely underrated on the technical side. My main point here is about the above point that Chick Corea is bland and uninteresting. Wow I do hope your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek. You may not like is style or his output but he is one of the most highly regarded players in any genre... and so versatile. I have seen nearly every player mentioned on the list, Chick is anything but bland and uninteresting. Maybe a few more deep breathes to increase the oxygen flow to the noodle is in order.

Henry Krinkle
12-27-2012, 12:09 AM
If I were starting a Keyboardist Hall of Fame from the Classic Prog Era, the initial class of inductees would be:

Emerson
Banks
Wakeman
Jobson
Chick Corea

The next set of inductees would be:
Rick Wright
Kerry Minnear
Hugh Banton
John Tout
Kerry Livgren
Edgar Froese

and the next would be
Jurgen Fritz
Dave Stewart
Wooly Wolstenhome (BJH)
Enrico Oliveri (Metamorfosi)
Moraz
Steve Walsh
Mike Ratledge

A. Scherze
12-27-2012, 07:06 AM
I have seen nearly every player mentioned on the list, Chick is anything but bland and uninteresting.

Well, that's your opinion. ;)

BTW, I saw not only the classic RTF, but the original band. The albums were played on the radio quite a bit and some of my friends were fans, so, believe me, I've heard them.

gregory
12-27-2012, 11:39 AM
It's not very interesting, to compile the long lists of favorites. 5-7 names are enough for "best" nomination.
Originality/virtuosity/celebrity/contribution to band's music/ - just 4 criteria to be taken for consideration. And the picture looks like..
1.Emerson
2.Wakeman
3.Banks
4.Minnear
5.Wright
6.Banton
7.Manfred Mann

simon moon
12-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I think he has called himself a non-musician. He was a technician and a synthesizer operator and in that field he is one of the best. I wouldn't call him a keyboard player and certainly not one of the best keyboardists.

As much as I love Eno, I have to agree. He is not a keyboard player.

He creates sound sculpture. And more recently, he has incorporated visual art and sound sculpture.

His brilliant "77 Million Paintings" from a few years ago, is a perfect example.

Henry Krinkle
12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
It's not very interesting, to compile the long lists of favorites. 5-7 names are enough for "best" nomination.
Originality/virtuosity/celebrity/contribution to band's music/ - just 4 criteria to be taken for consideration. And the picture looks like..
1.Emerson
2.Wakeman
3.Banks
4.Minnear
5.Wright
6.Banton
7.Manfred Mann

so because your list may be shorter by a few names than others, that automatically makes it more interesting? I see...... :roll

gregory
12-27-2012, 04:11 PM
so because your list may be shorter by a few names than others, that automatically makes it more interesting? I see...... :roll
Well you can go for 'the best unlimited' if you like, or the best 100, I don't know...depends on your usage the word 'best', aside other things.

Calabasas_Trafalgar
12-27-2012, 07:48 PM

1. Keyth Emerson
2. Patrick Moraz
3. Eddie Jobson
4. Jurgen Fritz
5. Rick Wakeman
6. Rick van der Linden
7. John Tout
8. Flavio Premoli
9. Thyss van Leer
10. Tony Pagliuca

Nah. It's just your opinion. Tout? Fritz? Jobson? I don't think so. Several others are pretty iffy.

MJBrady
12-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Voting with the Fusion IS Prog angle, and for more fun stirring the pot;) Here's a list as well:

Dave Stewart/Alan Gowen - NH/Bruf/Gilg
Peter Robinson - BX/SP
David Sancious
T Lavitz - RIP
Ian Underwood/Tommy Mars/George Duke/
Kiflus - Iceberg/Pegasus
Chick Corea - RTF/etc
Jan Hammer - MV/Beck/etc
Allan Zavod - JLPonty
Barry Miles
Patrizio Fariselli - Area

gregory
12-29-2012, 04:27 PM
I'd put Herbie Hancock in the fusion list, and Flavio Premoli as well.
Deodato, Eddie Palmieri, George Duke and Tom Coster deserved some attention, too...