PDA

View Full Version : New "UK" line-up announced at Eddie's site.-WOW!

Rand Kelly
12-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Marc Bonilla,Alex Machacek,Billy Sherwood,Virgil Donati and Eddie Jobson. This should be an amazing combo. For the first time iirc, 2 guitar players.

Dedatolo
12-12-2012, 06:25 AM
...you need at least two guitar player doing fast interlocking to get to a decent Allan Holdsworth......

Baribrotzer
12-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Good musicians, beyond a doubt. But to me, this is not UK - it's a UK cover band of A-list players.
And maybe the version who toured and played at NF earlier this year weren't really, either - but they did include the entire rock contingent (Jobson and Wetton). Considering that the jazz contingent (Bruford and Holdsworth) are uninterested or unavailable, that was probably OK.

Rand Kelly
12-12-2012, 06:49 AM
To me, a cover band by definition has no members of the real band. Since Eddie has made the decision to ask these guys to play with him I have no problem with him calling it UK. Thousands of other bands have done this and even worse,so no matter what he calls it,the music should smoke. Donati on drums will be a major treat for the drummers at least. Bonilla and Machacek are incredible players. Billy Sherwood is no slouch either. Nektar doesn't hire slouches to play with them and neither would Eddie Jobson.

Arkangel3
12-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Wow...I am STUNNED! AWESOME!

I just realized...everyone in this band sings! :O

NogbadTheBad
12-12-2012, 07:01 AM
It's really "The Eddie Jobson Band" at this stage, interesting line-up though.

enpdllp
12-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Marc Bonilla,Alex Machacek,Billy Sherwood,Virgil Donati and Eddie Jobson. This should be an amazing combo. For the first time iirc, 2 guitar players.

FWIW, when UKZ played at the Town Hall in January 2009, both Machacek and Minneman played guitar during two songs (Houston & Larks' Tongues In Aspic). Trey Gunn's Warr guitar stint with UKZ and UZ could also be considered as a second guitarist. With Bonilla, Machacek and Sherwood, there is the potential of three guitars on stage.

Bonilla played bass and took care of vocals during his stint with Jobson's UZ Project at Zappanale in 2011, so he would probably be repeating that role for the upcoming Jobson Four Decades Retro Tour. Sherwood most probably take care of some of the singing, backup vocals, guitar, bass and maybe keyboards while Jobson plays the violin. Having both Bonilla and Sherwood will give Jobson a lot of flexibility on the songs to be performed.

Tickets for the NYC show, 19th April 2013, will go on sale this coming Friday the 14th at noon EST.

More information at the Highline Ballroom website (http://highlineballroom.com/show/2013/04/19/eddie-jobson-four-decades-tour-master-class/).

DarthVander
12-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Wow, didn't expect that. Was lucky enough to catch UK on their recent European tour and really enjoyed. After seeing them with Wetton it's a bit disappointing to see such a big change in the line-up, but it does look like a very impressive group of musicians. If Bonilla is the lead vocalist and Sherwood sticks to backing vocals I think this should work. I hope there will be more European dates.

Dodie
12-12-2012, 07:23 AM
No Jo(h)n, no UK!
LOL

enpdllp
12-12-2012, 07:27 AM
I hope there will be more European dates.

According to Jobson, there will be no European dates this time.

enpdllp
12-12-2012, 07:59 AM
The title of this thread is misleading. Jobson has not stated that the line-up stated above is a new UK line-up. The line-up with Bonilla, Donati, Machacek and Sherwood is part of a band supporting Jobson's "Four Decades Retro Tour". Some songs from the Green Album are being considered to be played by this line-up.

The almost UK line-up that will be playing at the Cruise To the Edge (Bozzio, Jobson, Machacek and Wetton), might play a few dates in Florida and Panama after the cruise and before the Baja Prog Fest where Jobson will formally start his "Four Decades Retro Tour".

Corbie
12-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Yes, indeed. This is - as has been noted - not UK but a Jobson solo Band. EJ has suggested that after the UK/solo tours he will possibly embark on writing for UKZ. Be interesting to see who will be in that group this far down the line.

NogbadTheBad
12-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes, indeed. This is - as has been noted - not UK but a Jobson solo Band. EJ has suggested that after the UK/solo tours he will possibly embark on writing for UKZ. Be interesting to see who will be in that group this far down the line.

Now that I'm interested in, I liked the UKZ EP, if he's exploring that ground with new material, I'll be very happy.

UnephenStephen
12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
my head is spinning trying to keep track of all these acronyms. what's next ZUK, KU, ZU?

NogbadTheBad
12-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Eddie Jobson ZUK's !!

moecurlythanu
12-12-2012, 09:17 AM
It just occurred to me that Billy Sherwood can be the band's liaison to PE!

Wait,..

Nearfest2
12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Sherwood doesn't belong in the same sentence with the rest of those guys.

simon moon
12-12-2012, 11:43 AM
...you need at least two guitar player doing fast interlocking to get to a decent Allan Holdsworth......

Alex Machacek is up to the job with no assistance. It may be argued that he may not be as original as Holdsworth, but technically he is up to the job.

He is a phenomenal fusion guitarist.

I wouldn't mind at all if this is the lineup that will be at Baja Prog.

progcd54
12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Alex Machacek is up to the job with no assistance. It may be argued that he may not be as original as Holdsworth, but technically he is up to the job.

Well then...git on over to BajaProg's Facebook page for the latest announcement. Your wish has been fulfilled...

"Eddie is pleased to announce the line-up for the tour of 2013, including its appearance in the Baja Prog festival. EJ will be joined on stage by Marc Bonilla, Alex Machacek, Billy Sherwood and Virgil Donati."

WOW!!! This is gonna smoke!

Scott Bails
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Billy Sherwood, making a play to participate in every prog band ever created.

This does sound like a very interesting lineup.

enpdllp
12-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Big fan of Holdsworth, but I agree that Machacek is up for the job with no need for assistance.

As I stated on post #11, Bonilla, Donati, Jobson, Machacek and Sherwood is the line-up playing at the Baja Prog Fest.

HealthyNational
12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Tickets for the NYC show, 19th April 2013, will go on sale this coming Friday the 14th at noon EST.

[/B][/URL].
Tickets for the Yes April 9th Beacon NYC show also go on sale this Friday.

Someone ain't getting a x-mas present!

boilk
12-12-2012, 12:42 PM
An impressive line-up, but I really wish he would get going on some new material.

neil

80s were ok
12-12-2012, 12:48 PM
I'd kill to see any of "The Green album" played live. Are there official tour dates for this? I agree- not really UK, but the band line-up is huge!

Fracktured
12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Jobson's still trying to milk the UK thing, huh?

Dan Roth
12-12-2012, 02:08 PM

It's funny 'cause it's true! He may be working on a "Tribute to Jobson" cd as we speak! lol

I'd kill to see any of "The Green album" played live. Are there official tour dates for this? I agree- not really UK, but the band line-up is huge!

Same here. The Green Album is a top 5 all-time CD for me, just always hit me just right. I was ecstatic when he weaved in some bits of the album in his solos in his previous concerts...I would love to hear some of the other songs on there. Jobson has said before he is not singing anymore, so maybe we will get Sherwood belting out "Turn it Over" or "Listen to Reason"!

Apparently this is a career retrospective tour, so hopefully we will also hear Zappa's "Black Napkins" and something from Tull as well.

I've only seen this one NYC date so far. Would like to know if there will be a Philly date before taking the plunge on the NY tickets.

bondegezou
12-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Jobson's still trying to milk the UK thing, huh?

To clarify again, Jobson is not billing this as UK. Its billed as a solo tour.

Henry

bondegezou
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
i think he's milking UK for as much as it can go, imo they/he needs freash new challenging material to expand the UK music repetoire.

"Milking UK" seems an odd description to me. He stayed away from the band for decades and did other stuff. He has recently come back to it and played a fairly small number of shows. And this tour in 2013 isn't a UK tour. He's moving away from UK after the cruise show.

Henry

strawberrybrick
12-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Sherwood doesn't belong in the same sentence with the rest of those guys.

Agreed.

meimjustalawnmower
12-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Seems that John Wetton used to hold that distinction.

Brian Griffin
12-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Seems that John Wetton used to hold that distinction.

And have drums will travel Bruford before him

BG

Dave (in MA)
12-12-2012, 05:29 PM
A bit too much of a chops-oriented lineup than I'd prefer, but I'm sure I won't be able to resist going if they swing by here. Is there a list of venues someplace yet?

Scott Bails
12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
"Milking UK" seems an odd description to me. He stayed away from the band for decades and did other stuff. He has recently come back to it and played a fairly small number of shows. And this tour in 2013 isn't a UK tour. He's moving away from UK after the cruise show.

Henry

It seems people just aren't reading your posts anymore, Henry.

This isn't a UK tour.

Yes is working on a new album.

Etc., etc.

No Pride
12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
A bit too much of a chops-oriented lineup than I'd prefer

Jeez, who do you want, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards?! What's up with prog fans today?! :O

NogbadTheBad
12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
A bit too much of a chops-oriented lineup than I'd prefer

Jeez, who do you want, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards?! What's up with prog fans today?! :OI'm with him, I'm not a fan of chops for chops sake, it's got to have feel.

No Pride
12-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm with him, I'm not a fan of chops for chops sake, it's got to have feel.
I agree that it's got to have feel. Do chops negate feel? I don't see any "chops for chops' sake" guys in that lineup.

NogbadTheBad
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
I agree that it's got to have feel. Do chops negate feel?Not necessarily, but I've heard plenty of bands where it is the case.

simon moon
12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm with him, I'm not a fan of chops for chops sake, it's got to have feel.

I've seen everyone in this lineup (except Sherwood) multiple times.

I completely disagree that any of these guys are 'chops for chops sake' players.

Donati and Machacek play at a jazz club in LA all the time. I've seen them play together and with other musicians as well. I have no problems getting 'feel' out of their playing. Their high level of chops and musical knowledge enables them to convey 'feel' in a greater number of ways.

Edit: No Pride beat me to it.

NogbadTheBad
12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
You are clearly more familiar with these players than I am so I'll accept your position. I saw The Aristocrats this year & the had chops to die for but masses of feel & humor. Best gig of the year for me.

No Pride
12-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I saw The Aristocrats this year & the had chops to die for but masses of feel & humor. Best gig of the year for me.
See, we're on the same page! :) I don't dig "chops as a means to an end" players or bands either, but I just don't like the dismissive attitude of anybody BECAUSE they have chops. Chops are just a part of the package for the complete musician. I don't really care about mega chops (although some of my favorite players happen to have them), but show me a musician who has little in the way of chops and I'll show you a limited musician. Chops, feel, melodicism, emotion, humor, the ability to listen and react, these are all things I want to hear in a player... and a band.

ThomasKDye
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Marc Bonilla has plenty of feel. I've listened to the Keith Emerson band and "chops" is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Bonilla's playing.

80s were ok
12-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Marc Bonilla has plenty of feel. I've listened to the Keith Emerson band and "chops" is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Bonilla's playing.

anyone who has seen Bonilla with the Danny Seraphine will know Bonilla isn't a "Chops for Chops sake" kind of guy.

Dave (in MA)
12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
We'll see.

Shadow
12-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Good musicians, beyond a doubt. But to me, this is not UK - it's a UK cover band of A-list players.
And maybe the version who toured and played at NF earlier this year weren't really, either - but they did include the entire rock contingent (Jobson and Wetton). Considering that the jazz contingent (Bruford and Holdsworth) are uninterested or unavailable, that was probably OK.

You are starting to sound like me, I would take cover. ;)

NotTheMama
12-12-2012, 09:44 PM
This tendency to ponder whether or not some particular line-up is a "real" version of a band is really less about music and more about celebrity.

moecurlythanu
12-12-2012, 10:59 PM
This tendency to ponder whether or not some particular line-up is a "real" version of a band is really less about music and more about celebrity.

I'd say it's more about History and Authenticity.

NotTheMama
12-13-2012, 01:29 AM
I'd say it's more about History and Authenticity.

I don't think it is, really. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for celebrities too. But to take Yes, for instance: don't you think that music would sound a lot better with Nick D' Virgilio or Dave Kerman playing drums? Neither played on the records, but either would sure as heck give that music the energy it has lacked in recent years. And really, Tom Brislin is the best keys player they've had in recent years, plus he can sing the high harmonies in tune. But everybody knows you can draw a bigger crown with original members. If the music is not as good as it could be, where's the authenticity in that? If it's because they're the real guys, then it's really about celebrity.

Big Ears
12-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Where is Terry Bozzio?

bondegezou
12-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Where is Terry Bozzio?

This is an Eddie Jobson solo tour: there's no particular reason Bozzio should be there. You should be asking where is Michael Barsimanto?!

Henry

Rand Kelly
12-13-2012, 04:14 AM
It's really "The Eddie Jobson Band" at this stage, interesting line-up though.

You are absolutely right. Billy Sherwood says it's: Eddie Jobson "Four Decades Tour". So, I was incorrect to say it was UK.

arj
12-13-2012, 04:21 AM
"But to take Yes, for instance: don't you think that music would sound a lot better with Nick D' Virgilio or Dave Kerman playing drums? Neither played on the records, but either would sure as heck give that music the energy it has lacked in recent years. And really, Tom Brislin is the best keys player they've had in recent years, plus he can sing the high harmonies in tune. "

Absolutely. Could not agree more.

arj
12-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Worth seeing for Donati alone.

moecurlythanu
12-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't think it is, really. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for celebrities too.

First, the number of Prog artists that could be considered "celebrities" is pretty small. 2nd, I don't know how old you are, but speaking as a 50-something, I can tell you "celebrity" is next to meaningless to me as a listener . "History" and "Authenticity" do matter, however. It doesn't necessarily apply here, as this is not UK, but speaking to your general point: Ideally, I want to see the bands as they were back in the day, or as close to it as possible. The County Fair version of the band? Not so much. Why bother with a name at all if it's just a marketing angle but bears next to no resemblance to what the name has meant in the past? Might as well just assign all these bands a number and refer to them that way. :bad

But to take Yes, for instance: don't you think that music would sound a lot better with Nick D' Virgilio or Dave Kerman playing drums? Neither played on the records, but either would sure as heck give that music the energy it has lacked in recent years. And really, Tom Brislin is the best keys player they've had in recent years, plus he can sing the high harmonies in tune. But everybody knows you can draw a bigger crown with original members. If the music is not as good as it could be, where's the authenticity in that? If it's because they're the real guys, then it's really about celebrity.

I don't think your reasoning holds up in the last 2 lines of your post, but to answer your general question: I really couldn't care less. I don't need to hear the "best" group of players that could be assembled. I want to hear the band that I know and love. I've got around 5,000 pieces of music and have been to around 1,000 concerts. Might I miss out on something? Might I miss hearing something special? Of course. And I'm fine with that. Whatever the case, I'll have no shortage of great music to listen to, and great memories. I don't need to hear something just because it is marginally more skillfully played than something else. There's so much here already that something like that just doesn't mean anything to me anymore. But "celebrity?" Come now. That's for the fanboys.

zombywoof
12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Sounds great to me.

To add to the 'chops' vs 'feel' question, I believe that having a good 'feel' is part of having good 'chops'.

Scott Bails
12-13-2012, 07:32 PM
First, the number of Prog artists that could be considered "celebrities" is pretty small. 2nd, I don't know how old you are, but speaking as a 50-something, I can tell you "celebrity" is next to meaningless . "History" and "Authenticity" do matter, however. It doesn't necessarily apply here, as this is not UK, but speaking to your general point: Ideally, I want to see the bands as the were back in the day, or as close to it as possible. The County Fair version of the band? Not so much. Why bother with a name at all if it's just a marketing angle but bears next to no resemblance to what the name has meant in the past? Might as well just assign all these bands a number and refer to them that way. :bad

Don't agree.

First of all, it's called "history" because it's in the past. Personally, I like to live in the present.

Second, "authenticity" is completely subjective. What's authentic to one person is fraudulent to another.

If you're looking for "true authenticity," then you should only spend you money on music by Anderson/Squire/Banks/Kaye/Bruford, or Wetton/Jobson/Holdsworth/Bruford. Otherwise, who's definition of "authentic" are we talking about? For those who love "classic Yes," what exactly does that mean? Bruford was on The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge - generally regarded as their "classic period." But no one screams "cover band!" because Alan White is now the drummer. For others, White can be substituted and it's still authentic. To those, you could ask, is the lineup featuring Trevor Rabin and the token Tony Kaye authentic? Was the Drama lineup authentic?

Where do you draw the line? Do you need Anderson to be authentic? What if it's Anderson/Squire, and three guys named "Fred?" Can it still be called "Yes?"

trurl
12-13-2012, 08:08 PM
To add to the 'chops' vs 'feel' question, I believe that having a good 'feel' is part of having good 'chops'.
Yeah, but why have to choose ;)

polmico
12-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Where do you draw the line? Do you need Anderson to be authentic? What if it's Anderson/Squire, and three guys named "Fred?" Can it still be called "Yes?"

No Fred, no polmico.

moecurlythanu
12-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Don't agree.

First of all, it's called "history" because it's in the past. Personally, I like to live in the present.

If more people valued History, and accurately understood it, the present wouldn't be so fucked up. We wouldn't keep making the same mistakes over and over. So I won't apologize for valuing History or accurate renderings of same.

Second, "authenticity" is completely subjective. What's authentic to one person is fraudulent to another.

If you're looking for "true authenticity," then you should only spend you money on music by Anderson/Squire/Banks/Kaye/Bruford, or Wetton/Jobson/Holdsworth/Bruford. Otherwise, who's definition of "authentic" are we talking about? For those who love "classic Yes," what exactly does that mean? Bruford was on The Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge - generally regarded as their "classic period." But no one screams "cover band!" because Alan White is now the drummer. For others, White can be substituted and it's still authentic. To those, you could ask, is the lineup featuring Trevor Rabin and the token Tony Kaye authentic? Was the Drama lineup authentic?

"Classic line up" is a commonly accepted and well recognized term for a reason. That a dysfunctional Flying Circus like Yes serves to muddy the waters doesn't negate the larger point. Almost every rule has an exception. That doesn't mean that it doesn't hold true most of the time.

I was replying to NotTheMama's comment regarding the motivation for fans saying that a reconstituted line up is legitimately _________ band. So you think it's "celebrity" as well, and all line ups are equally valid under a name?

NotTheMama
12-14-2012, 01:25 AM
First, the number of Prog artists that could be considered "celebrities" is pretty small. 2nd, I don't know how old you are, but speaking as a 50-something, I can tell you "celebrity" is next to meaningless to me as a listener . "History" and "Authenticity" do matter, however. It doesn't necessarily apply here, as this is not UK, but speaking to your general point: Ideally, I want to see the bands as they were back in the day, or as close to it as possible. The County Fair version of the band? Not so much. Why bother with a name at all if it's just a marketing angle but bears next to no resemblance to what the name has meant in the past? Might as well just assign all these bands a number and refer to them that way. :bad

I don't think your reasoning holds up in the last 2 lines of your post, but to answer your general question: I really couldn't care less. I don't need to hear the "best" group of players that could be assembled. I want to hear the band that I know and love. I've got around 5,000 pieces of music and have been to around 1,000 concerts. Might I miss out on something? Might I miss hearing something special? Of course. And I'm fine with that. Whatever the case, I'll have no shortage of great music to listen to, and great memories. I don't need to hear something just because it is marginally more skillfully played than something else. There's so much here already that something like that just doesn't mean anything to me anymore. But "celebrity?" Come now. That's for the fanboys.

Don't think of "celebrity" as being restricted to people like Charlie Sheen, Britney Spears, or Mick Jagger. "Celebrity" in a more general sense refers to people who are well known within some community. When you go to a performance because you want to see this well known person in the flesh, that's a function of celebrity. It may not be the only reason you go, just one of the reasons. For prog fans, for instance, Steve Howe is a celebrity even if he could walk through most shopping malls in the US without being recognized by members of the general public. Even Roine Stolt is a celebrity in this community, though I'll bet he doesn't get approached in airports much.

People go to hear Yo Yo Ma play cello in part because he's a famous cellist. They don't just want to hear good cello playing, they also want to see a celebrity. At the end of his career, Segovia's playing was not so good. But people went out to hear the concerts mostly to see the great man. During those same years there were many other guitarists who played far better, but Segovia was still a bigger draw because he was Segovia.

BTW, from what you say, why do you think you're not a fanboy?

Elbon One
12-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Isn't "Three Fred's" the name of an album by Gentle Giant?

Scott Bails
12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
If more people valued History, and accurately understood it, the present wouldn't be so fucked up. We wouldn't keep making the same mistakes over and over. So I won't apologize for valuing History or accurate renderings of same.

With regards to world events, I agree. With regards to music, etc., it's not quite as important.

So you think it's "celebrity" as well, and all line ups are equally valid under a name?

Don't know that I can say "all lineups are equally valid," but the current Yes is absolutely 100% as valid as any previous lineup.

Bill0604
12-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Jobson and Holdsworth never really got along and differed in their approach to the direction of the band. So their reunion will never happen.

But I do agree that this new lineup are A-players that do not represent UK music of the past. It was great having Wetton at NF (IMO) because his contribution is
extraordinary and cannot be duplicated. Hopefully Jobson will write some new music for this lineup.

Luis Nasser
12-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Sherwood doesn't belong in the same sentence with the rest of those guys. Absolutely agreed.

Scott Bails
12-15-2012, 10:43 PM
i'm agreeing with fraktured and i think its milking since UK already has a name and reputation and a following of fans. so if it not milking then he's using UK recognition to help the new version to get looked at and identify the new band as a moderner version of UK. i think its still milking regardless of the fact that he's not done it for a while.

How is it "milking" when Jobson himself is not using the name, "UK?"

Is the guy not ever supposed to make music again?

Dan Roth
12-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Jobson and Holdsworth never really got along and differed in their approach to the direction of the band. So their reunion will never happen.

Back in 2007 Eddie Jobson posted this on his forum: "Allan Holdsworth is signing his entire back catalogue to Globe Music. He has been up to my house a couple of times and we have spoken again about the possibility of working together again on a project."

Obviously that catalogue switch didnt occur (could of been Jobson's doing, since he has gone through many changes with Globe Music and what and how they are selling.) But this quote does not sound like they don't get along.

Bill0604
12-16-2012, 01:17 AM
Back in 2007 Eddie Jobson posted this on his forum: "Allan Holdsworth is signing his entire back catalogue to Globe Music. He has been up to my house a couple of times and we have spoken again about the possibility of working together again on a project."

Obviously that catalogue switch didnt occur (could of been Jobson's doing, since he has gone through many changes with Globe Music and what and how they are selling.) But this quote does not sound like they don't get along.

What happens in 2007 almost 30 years later doesn't really have a bearing on their relationship in 1977. It was well known that Jobson and Wetton were unhappy with Holdsworth who wanted
the band to have a more improvisational format. All you have to do is look at what each did after the breakup. UK continued to write songs whereas Holdsworth joined Bruford in the band "Bruford" which didn't even have a lead singer. In the band "Bruford", Dave Stewart on keyboards, Jeff Berlin on bass and Holdsworth all performed extensive improvisations especially live in a more Jazz/Rock fusion tradition.

enpdllp
12-16-2012, 03:29 AM

I do not think you are correct in stating that Jobson and Holdsworth never really got along. A few years back Holdsworth released Road Games and The Sixteen Men Of Tain on Jobson's Globe Music label.

I am more inclined to believe that if Holdsworth has any issues with any member of UK, it will be with Wetton. He wanted Holdsworth to play a guitar solo on one of the tracks of Raised In Captivity and Holdsworth pretty much told Wetton that he was working on his solo album and that was his top priority. Holdsworth has not released a new album in over a decade.

enpdllp
12-16-2012, 03:31 AM

FWIW, Road Games and The Sixteen Men Of Tain were released on Globe Music and both CDs had extra tracks.

jkelman
12-16-2012, 04:36 AM
FWIW, Road Games and The Sixteen Men Of Tain were released on Globe Music and both CDs had extra tracks.
sixteen men, yes; but while I am in an airport in Germany and cannot confirm, I don't recall any bonus material on road games.....

bondegezou
12-16-2012, 06:13 AM
I am more inclined to believe that if Holdsworth has any issues with any member of UK, it will be with Wetton. He wanted Holdsworth to play a guitar solo on one of the tracks of Raised In Captivity and Holdsworth pretty much told Wetton that he was working on his solo album and that was his top priority. Holdsworth has not released a new album in over a decade.

Holdsworth is like that with everyone though. If he really hated Wetton, he would simply have said no. As far as I know, Holdsworth doesn't have issues with any of his former UK band mates, but he's clearly doing different things these days.

Henry

enpdllp
12-16-2012, 10:32 AM
sixteen men, yes; but while I am in an airport in Germany and cannot confirm, I don't recall any bonus material on road games.....

You are correct. My mistake stating Road Games had bonus tracks.

Dan Roth
12-16-2012, 11:27 AM
FWIW, Road Games and The Sixteen Men Of Tain were released on Globe Music.

I am well aware of this, I was just mentioning that "his entire back catalogue" didnt make the switch, thats all. :)

enpdllp
12-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Holdsworth is like that with everyone though. If he really hated Wetton, he would simply have said no. As far as I know, Holdsworth doesn't have issues with any of his former UK band mates, but he's clearly doing different things these days.

Henry

Henry:

I did not said that Holdsworth hated Wetton. I just stated that if Holdsworth had any issues with anyone from UK it would appear that it would had been Wetton. Holdsworth might be a little reserved on his cameos but he has done a few since his last studio album (Mythology, Quantum, The Atacama Experience, etc.).

No Pride
12-16-2012, 12:44 PM
What happens in 2007 almost 30 years later doesn't really have a bearing on their relationship in 1977. It was well known that Jobson and Wetton were unhappy with Holdsworth who wanted
the band to have a more improvisational format. All you have to do is look at what each did after the breakup. UK continued to write songs whereas Holdsworth joined Bruford in the band "Bruford" which didn't even have a lead singer. In the band "Bruford", Dave Stewart on keyboards, Jeff Berlin on bass and Holdsworth all performed extensive improvisations especially live in a more Jazz/Rock fusion tradition.
Yeah, I don't think it was anything personal, just a difference in musical directions. Jobson wanted Holdsworth to play the solos he played in the studio at the live shows and Holdsworth, coming from more of a jazz mentality thought that was a ludicrous thing to do. I'm actually glad Bruf and Holdsy left because as much as I liked UK's debut, I liked the Bruford band more and it wouldn't have existed if the original UK lineup stayed intact.

ThomasKDye
12-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I don't think it was anything personal, just a difference in musical directions. Jobson wanted Holdsworth to play the solos he played in the studio at the live shows and Holdsworth, coming from more of a jazz mentality thought that was a ludicrous thing to do.

In Jobson's defense, the "call and response" bit of "Nevermore" would be hard to pull off if Holdsworth was improvising all the time. The only way the original UK would have persevered if they had gone into more of a play a song and then let the soloist noodle for hours format (like, say, Yes's "I See You," for example) but that's decidedly not Jobson's or Wetton's thing.

Bill0604
12-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I don't think it was anything personal, just a difference in musical directions. Jobson wanted Holdsworth to play the solos he played in the studio at the live shows and Holdsworth, coming from more of a jazz mentality thought that was a ludicrous thing to do. I'm actually glad Bruf and Holdsy left because as much as I liked UK's debut, I liked the Bruford band more and it wouldn't have existed if the original UK lineup stayed intact.

Actually I agree with you completely. I love the stuff UK did 1977-1980 and the band is just not the same without Wetton which is why I was
ecstatic to see him with Jobson at Nearfest. But the stuff Bruford did subsequently with Holdsworth after he left the band is outstanding and again
I was fortunate enough to see that band live at the Bottom Line. The next album "Gradually Going Tornado" with John Clark on guitar was just not
the same.

Those were incredible years where bands were forming, changing and rearranging lineups all the time. Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, UK, Bruford,
Yes, Genesis, Brand X, Pat Metheny, Tony Williams Lifetime, Dixie Dregs, Larry Coryell and the Eleventh House, Jean Luc Ponty Band to name a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4cTA6D6Jk8&list=PL507BA9A2CED9416E&index=18

BTW here is a great video of the Bruford band with Kazumi Watanabe on guitar. I am grateful everyday to all the great videos posted on YouTube.
They are an invaluable historical record of live performances of brilliant music that would be lost had it not been for YouTube and the internet. The quality
of writing was exceptional constantly breaking new ground both in musical concept and performance. When I went to see Pat Metheny at the Bottom Line
we would attend both performances since they would not repeat one song and very often the interpretation/solos were different from the last time I saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cPWN3gKRM&list=PL507BA9A2CED9416E&index=19

bondegezou
12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
not using uk and using ukz or whatever does really chan[g]e the fact .

Um, yes, it does.

adding "z" at the end doesnot really make the band new and fresh . he is still going to play lots of UK music while maybe doing a few new things. maybe hes waiting for his new guitar players to come up with some UK quality stuff . lol.

We don't know what the set list is going to be: Jobson has talked of a career retrospective and we know the tour will cover The Green Album. So, sounds like there will be plenty of non-UK music.

And why shouldn't he play some UK music? Just as Yes (and Anderson/Wakeman and Asia) play "Roundabout". Just as Rush play "YYZ". Just as Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson play "Thick as a Brick". Musicians have classic songs in their repertoire.

Henry

Luis Nasser
12-16-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm with Ernie. Chops is a means to an end. No chops? Less musical eloquence in a variety of settings. Not everyone can be David Gilmour.

80s were ok
12-16-2012, 08:51 PM
he is still going to play lots of UK music while maybe doing a few new things. maybe hes waiting for his new guitar players to come up with some UK quality stuff . lol. you say that like it's a band thing? What would you like him to do? 2 hours of all new music?

Scott Bails
12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
not using uk and using ukz or whatever does really chane the fact .adding "z" at the end doesnot really make the band new and fresh . he is still going to play lots of UK music while maybe doing a few new things. maybe hes waiting for his new guitar players to come up with some UK quality stuff . lol.

But this isn't even UKZ!!!

I don't understand why you have a problem with this.

80s were ok
12-17-2012, 12:29 AM
i have no problem just sort of stating what others have said. jobson is not a fave of mine nothing to see hear move on lol. YMMV.

if he's not a fave, why even continue to comment? This is fixing to be one of the top shows of 2013.

Gravedigger
12-17-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm with Ernie. Chops is a means to an end. No chops? Less musical eloquence in a variety of settings. Not everyone can be David Gilmour.

I always liked Chester Thompson's approach:
"Learn as much technique as you can, practice your butt off, then forget it all and play from the heart."

At least you will have that musical "vocabulary" at hand if you need it.

soblivious
12-17-2012, 04:35 AM
I was brought up on Bruford, Brand X and U.K. ...I even got Dave Stewart (what a lovely man ) to write out the chords to Beelzebub for me. They were great days and I like to think they played a part in the fact that all these years later we've now built something similar of our own.So I hope you don't mind me sharing this here amongst like minded folk (released on esoteric in January)...all you have to do is press play...:-)
www.facebook.com/signslife

http://youtu.be/c3cL2bVMA1k

ASIA Featuring John Payne
12-17-2012, 06:17 PM
"Nothing to Lose" is a great track. And congrats to Billy as well, should be interesting to see this band's take on the UK catalog.

Rand Kelly
12-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Is there a method of editing the header with PE3? If so, I want to change some stuff.

n.p.Three Fates Project

Rand Kelly
12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually I agree with you completely. I love the stuff UK did 1977-1980 and the band is just not the same without Wetton which is why I was
ecstatic to see him with Jobson at Nearfest. But the stuff Bruford did subsequently with Holdsworth after he left the band is outstanding and again
I was fortunate enough to see that band live at the Bottom Line. The next album "Gradually Going Tornado" with John Clark on guitar was just not
the same.

Those were incredible years where bands were forming, changing and rearranging lineups all the time. Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, UK, Bruford,
Yes, Genesis, Brand X, Pat Metheny, Tony Williams Lifetime, Dixie Dregs, Larry Coryell and the Eleventh House, Jean Luc Ponty Band to name a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4cTA6D6Jk8&list=PL507BA9A2CED9416E&index=18

BTW here is a great video of the Bruford band with Kazumi Watanabe on guitar. I am grateful everyday to all the great videos posted on YouTube.
They are an invaluable historical record of live performances of brilliant music that would be lost had it not been for YouTube and the internet. The quality
of writing was exceptional constantly breaking new ground both in musical concept and performance. When I went to see Pat Metheny at the Bottom Line
we would attend both performances since they would not repeat one song and very often the interpretation/solos were different from the last time I saw them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cPWN3gKRM&list=PL507BA9A2CED9416E&index=19

Actually,if this footage has been culled from The Spice Of Live dvd(which I own)it is Kazumi's baby and BB and JB are in HIS band.

Rand Kelly
12-18-2012, 08:43 PM
wow i can't comment on something i find interesting? i have all deys rekkids and even some l ive roio's so i listen to them and can appreciate what they have done i still prefer the "allan" band to the other one.

What does roio's mean?

NogbadTheBad
12-18-2012, 08:55 PM
What does roio's mean?
Recording Of Indeterminate Origin.

Scott Bails
12-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Bootlegs.

Dan Roth
12-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I laugh everytime I see someone using ROIO instead of bootleg. It's like saying "Certified Pre-Owned Automobile" instead of "Used Car". :lol

Big Ears
12-19-2012, 03:32 AM
I've found the UK roios to be disappointing (poorly recorded and a bit 'flat').

moecurlythanu
12-19-2012, 09:14 AM
I laugh everytime I see someone using ROIO instead of bootleg. It's like saying "Certified Pre-Owned Automobile" instead of "Used Car". :lol

Actually it's done to differentiate them from bootlegs. In order to be a real "bootleg," cash or something of value has to be exchanged for the recording. Fan recordings that are shared for free got labelled ROIOs at some point, because they aren't sold.

enpdllp
12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Actually it's done to differentiate them from bootlegs. In order to be a real "bootleg," cash or something of value has to be exchanged for the recording. Fan recordings that are shared for free got labelled ROIOs at some point, because they aren't sold.

It is also done to distinguish them from pirate copies, since many folks in the music and law enforcement business use the term bootleg for pirated copies.

enpdllp
12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
I've found the UK roios to be disappointing (poorly recorded and a bit 'flat').

There are a few radio broadcasts from the old days that sound pretty good (Paradise Theater Boston, Penns Landing Philly, etc). There is also quite a few audience recordings from the recent tours that are quite impressive.

Mikhael
12-19-2012, 11:05 AM
"ROIO"?!? Really? I've never heard that term before. "Bootleg" is an unauthorized recording. A rose by any other name...

Sheesh. PC language has gotten ridiculous.

moecurlythanu
12-19-2012, 11:26 AM
I would say you're wrong...but it's not worth arguing about.

trurl
12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
SNWAA: Statement Not Worth Arguing About.

I like that.

-=RTFR666=-
12-19-2012, 12:45 PM
"ROIO"?!? Really? I've never heard that term before. "Bootleg" is an unauthorized recording. A rose by any other name...

Sheesh. PC language has gotten ridiculous.

The term's been bandied about in collector's circles for decades...my first intro to the term was during the storied Scott McMahan/UNCU.edu Paperlate era in the early 90s...

Mr. Grizzly Bear
12-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Sounds great to me.

Exactly, I just wish more chopsmeisters and shredders got that memo.

zombywoof
12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Exactly, I just wish more chopsmeisters and shredders got that memo.

I think Keneally is the best at this. He understands the importance of feel.

trespass
12-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Other than Baja Prog have any more dates been announced?

Checked his website but couldn't find touring information.

Can anybody help with providing tour dates?

Thanks a million

enpdllp
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Other than Baja Prog have any more dates been announced?

Checked his website but couldn't find touring information.

Can anybody help with providing tour dates?

Thanks a million

No other dates besides the Baja Prog Fest have been officially announced, although the folks from the Highline Ballroom in NYC had prematurely announced last week that Jobson was playing there on the 19th of April and even announced tickets sales for the show starting last Friday. A few days after the announcement, the folks from the Highline Ballroom took out the date from their event calendar and cancelled the ticket sales. According to the ZL, the dates for the upcoming tour will be posted on on the 21st of December.

Rand Kelly
12-22-2012, 05:12 AM
Recording Of Indeterminate Origin.

Thank you.

Rand Kelly
12-22-2012, 05:14 AM
As I said before,I mislabeled these guys as UK and of course that's wrong. This is really who they are: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/60897_10151192997061947_1036179841_n.jpg

Richard
12-22-2012, 10:33 AM
April 6 - Baja Prog Festival - Mexicali, Mexico

See website for ticket packages - No VIP or Master Class at this show

April 8 - El Rey Theatre - Los Angeles, USA

$74.50 / $115 (VIP)

April 9 - Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, USA

$74.50 / $115 (VIP)

April 19 - Highline Ballroom - New York, USA

$74.50 / $115 (VIP)

April 21 - World Cafe Live - Philadelphia, USA

$74.50 / $115 (VIP)

April 27 - Gesù Amphitheatre - Montréal, Canada

$74.50 / $115 (VIP)

More dates to be announced soon...

VIP Ticket/Zealots 2013 Pass includes pre-show "'Understanding Music' - Master Class with the Maestro" and post-show meet-and-greet.

Scott Bails
12-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Wow. $74.50?!

Sounds like I'll be missing this one. :(

Dan Roth
12-22-2012, 10:37 AM
As I said before,I mislabeled these guys as UK and of course that's wrong. This is really who they are: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/60897_10151192997061947_1036179841_n.jpg

Curious that he left Jethro Tull off of that ad.

Cant wait for this tour!

bondegezou
12-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Curious that he left Jethro Tull off of that ad.

"Four decades tour", but he lists bands he was a member of for a 7 year period only! Still, would love to see it, but no Euro dates.

Henry

Rand Kelly
12-22-2012, 06:32 PM
"Four decades tour", but he lists bands he was a member of for a 7 year period only! Still, would love to see it, but no Euro dates.

Henry

He really never 'joined' J.T. He was always referred to as a Special Guest,from [A] and through the tour. No more a member than Tom Brislin was in Yes,2001.

arj
12-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Big difference between Eddie and Tom B. The "A" album is full of Jobsonisms, to the extent that it sounds like he cowrote most of it! Given that it is a Jethro Tull album (although I know it did not start out as one) I think that Jobson's contribution to Tull is actually more like Moraz's to Yes. Imagine Moraz not referencing Yes in any promo material!

Dan Roth
12-23-2012, 02:33 AM
On the official Tull page, Ian wrote this about Eddie:

"Spotted by the group Curved Air, of whom he was a fan, he took up the brave and racy profession as their violinist, later joining Roxy Music and Frank Zappa before forming the almost-supergroup UK with Bill Bruford, and John Wetton which is what took him, temporarily into the clutches of Jethro Tull, first as support act and then on the "A" album in 1980 as a member of Tull."

I know were splitting hairs here, but since both Ian and Eddie say he was a member, I would have to take them at their word.

In Eddie's detailed explanation of his short time with Yes, he wrote "It was not a Guest Appearance; I was a member" - so maybe we will hear his rendition of Owner? Could be interesting...

Shadow
12-23-2012, 03:10 AM
Wow. $74.50?!

Sounds like I'll be missing this one. :(

You can get the DVD for $73.50, but it won't be as good as the camera phone bootleg on Dime. :lol

LColacionHayes
12-27-2012, 02:40 PM

See website for ticket packages - No VIP or Master Class at this show ... snip ...

More dates to be announced soon...

VIP Ticket/Zealots 2013 Pass includes pre-show "'Understanding Music' - Master Class with the Maestro" and post-show meet-and-greet.

Hmm ... if you're a member of the Zealots Lounge, probably not a good idea to be sharing what's posted there. It rather devalues the purpose if information from there is posted verbatim elsewhere.

Hey ... I know I'm probably opening the door to flames here, but the information will eventually be available to all after the Z'Lounge members get it first.

LC

p.s. nice new PE digs ... I finally logged-in here :cool

Richard
12-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Hmm ... if you're a member of the Zealots Lounge, probably not a good idea to be sharing what's posted there. It rather devalues the purpose if information from there is posted verbatim elsewhere.

Actually Eddie posted the following on his forums page regarding this:

"I did also want to make a comment regarding the occasional forum remarks about having to "pay to get information" with our current structure. The idea of the Lounge is not to keep any information secret, any of it can be disseminated freely; in fact I will make greater efforts to make news more available both here on the forum and on the fan Facebook page."

He went on to say he would prefer his blog not be reposted, but as for information, such as tour dates, he has no problem. And frankly, the value of the Zealots Lounge, for me at least, is not to get information, but to go to the soundchecks and have access to the music and video clips posted exclusively on the Lounge site, and to support Eddie in his projects--hey I'm a huge fan and have no problem anteing up for this and certainly understand why others would want to pass.

Rich

Andre C
12-28-2012, 11:26 AM
I know were splitting hairs here, but since both Ian and Eddie say he was a member, I would have to take them at their word.

Agreed. And FWIW, Ian has enthusiastically listed Eddie/UK tour dates on the Tull page last year

Also not mentioned in the ad, King Crimson, I know that was just overdubs etc, but still. A valid part of their history.

Dave (in MA)
01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
I like Eddie, but I'm not sure that I want to cough up 2X$74.50 or 2X$115 to see him and a bunch of hired chops guys play... something.

gojikranz
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
More expensive than uk! Ill have to consider this long and hard

progman1975
01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Of Course I got tickets to the Philly show. At the meet n greet I am going to tell Sherwood we miss him....:lol

zombywoof
01-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Of Course I got tickets to the Philly show. At the meet n greet I am going to tell Sherwood we miss him....:lol

How many times have you see him, Anthony?

progman1975
01-17-2013, 05:17 PM
How many times have you see him, Anthony?
This will be #4.....

enpdllp
01-17-2013, 06:50 PM
For those located in the Miami area, the four piece UK will be playing a show just after the Cruise From The Edge. Ticket information at the following link (http://www.ticketfly.com/event/211521).

simon moon
01-17-2013, 07:12 PM

See website for ticket packages - No VIP or Master Class at this show

April 8 - El Rey Theatre - Los Angeles, USA

$74.50 / $115 (VIP)

Lets see...

EJ and 15 other bands a few days earlier for $200, or EJ's band alone for $75...

I think I may have to pass on that El Rey concert this time around.

Shadow
01-17-2013, 08:13 PM

Maybe you can wear your Ken Golden mask. ;)

Adm.Kirk
01-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Absolutely agreed.

So what's the basis of thinking Sherwood doesn't belong with these guys? I think he's an excellent bassist. I think he's perfect for this lineup.

Bill