PDA

View Full Version : Let's Hear It For Heart...

ajcmixer
12-11-2012, 11:28 PM
...on their induction into the R&R HOF. To my ears a very worthy and deserving entrant. Their credentials come from a long and fruitful career now spanning five decades (mid-70's to the present) and presenting some very credible rock and roll (their first five albums easily and if you ask me, their 1st eleven albums). And they are still bringing it, as evidenced by their current album Fanatic and their live shows which show that Ann still has the ability to shatter glass at times. Like Annie Haslem, these old pros still know how to summon that inner magic in their own special way. So bravo to Ann and Nancy (a very underrated guitarist once again if you ask me), I believe they will bring a touch of class and femininity and a whole lotta Heart to what is basically a male-dominated room...:).

My Heart sleeper albums: 1983's Passionworks, where Ann truly showcases her vocal prowess to the hilt on songs such as Blue Guitar, Johnny Moon and the howling Sleep Alone. And 1993's Desire Walks On, which has a delicious sampling of rock and roll (Black on Black II, Rage and the title track) and some very mature and sophisticated songs that harkened back to stuff like Dreamboat Annie (Back to Avalon) and love songs (like In Walks The Night, My Crazy Head and the absolutely beautiful Anything Is Possible).

Peace,
Alex

progeezer
12-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Ann Wilson imo is singularly the most underappreciated female vocalist in the history of rock n' roll!:O

There, I said it.:D

You bet your ass they deserve it. This band has proven over the years that they have a lot more trick ponies than just one.

80s were ok
12-12-2012, 12:15 AM
This band has proven over the years that they have a lot more trick ponies than just one.

four trick ponies - two each.

JIF
12-12-2012, 07:09 AM
...on their induction into the R&R HOF. To my ears a very worthy and deserving entrant. Their credentials come from a long and fruitful career now spanning five decades (mid-70's to the present) and presenting some very credible rock and roll (their first five albums easily and if you ask me, their 1st eleven albums). And they are still bringing it, as evidenced by their current album Fanatic and their live shows which show that Ann still has the ability to shatter glass at times. Like Annie Haslem, these old pros still know how to summon that inner magic in their own special way. So bravo to Ann and Nancy (a very underrated guitarist once again if you ask me), I believe they will bring a touch of class and femininity and a whole lotta Heart to what is basically a male-dominated room...:).

My Heart sleeper albums: 1983's Passionworks, where Ann truly showcases her vocal prowess to the hilt on songs such as Blue Guitar, Johnny Moon and the howling Sleep Alone. And 1991's Desire Walks On, which has a delicious sampling of rock and roll (Black on Black II, Rage and the title track) and some very mature and sophisticated songs that harkened back to stuff like Dreamboat Annie (Back to Avalon) and love songs (like In Walks The Night, My Crazy Head and the absolutely beautiful Anything Is Possible).

Peace,
AlexI believe that Desire Walks On was released in '93. Btw, it's good too hear you speak so highly of Passionworks. I got in a three pack with Bebe Le Strange and Private Audition, and it totally rocks!!!

PeterG
12-12-2012, 07:47 AM
I think they should change the name to the MOR Hall of Fame. Seriously? Heart?

BravadoNJ
12-12-2012, 08:05 AM
i agree, the genre has drifted far from 'Rock & Roll'
rap artists, pop stars & the Queen of Disco, etc..
it's become more or less 'The American Music Hall Of Fame'

Trane
12-12-2012, 08:14 AM

Thgeir 70's album were definitely rock and hard rock... and I believe their 00's albums are as well (haven't heard them all)

Even in the dreaded 80's, when Heart was just a (fairly lousy) AOR band, they were undeniably still "rock"

dropforge
12-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Yeah. Heart IS a rock band.

Progmatic
12-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Ann Wilson imo is singularly the most underappreciated female vocalist in the history of rock n' roll!:O

one of the biggest...

PeterG
12-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah. Heart IS a rock band.

Rock is just one of the main divisions of music like folk or classical it isn't a descriptive style.
Duran Duran, Prince, Elvis Presley, Cyndi Lauper, Sex Pistols, Iron Maiden, Madonna, Bob Marley, Green Day, David Bowie are all rock. So there's no disputing that Heart are a rock band. My dispute is with the quality of their music and how the HoF seems to have no entry qualifications left anymore.

trurl
12-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Who the hell out there doesn't appreciate Ann? I don't know that I've ever talked to anyone that hasn't thought she was one of the best, if not the best, female rock vocalists ever. But, I get your point. ;)

Scott Bails
12-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Rock is just one of the main divisions of music like folk or classical it isn't a descriptive style.
Duran Duran, Prince, Elvis Presley, Cyndi Lauper, Sex Pistols, Iron Maiden, Madonna, Bob Marley, Green Day, David Bowie are all rock. So there's no disputing that Heart are a rock band. My dispute is with the quality of their music and how the HoF seems to have no entry qualifications left anymore.

We can argue about the "quality of their music" 'til the cows come home, but I think the influence of a band led by two women is indisputable.

And yeah, that Ann Wilson chick could sing a little.

IMWeasel
12-12-2012, 09:53 AM
We can argue about the "quality of their music" 'til the cows come home, but I think the influence of a band led by two women is indisputable.

And yeah, that Ann Wilson chick could sing a little.
That Nancy Wilson chick could play a little guitar too. ;)

Yeah, definitely well deserved, they paved the way big time for female-led rock groups. Plus...yeah they fucking just plain rocked in their heyday. My stepdad is a huge fan of theirs too. ;)

dropforge
12-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Since you've made it clear you have an issue with Heart's music, and since I own nearly everything they've released, we'll leave this one where it lies. |)

Jefferson James
12-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Heart kick ass! Anyone who judges this band on their Dianne Warren period is a fool -- a fool, I tell you!

Go get everything from "Dreamboat Annie" to "Bebe le Strange" right now.

Jerjo
12-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Here's one of Heart's best epics (and a fine feminist anthem), Mistral Wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF7FFuojj4E

BravadoNJ
12-12-2012, 04:17 PM
the Heart of the 70's is the band i'm happy to see in the HOF. i hope some of the original members who helped make that band back then are allowed to attend ceremony.... not make it all about the 2 sisters.

elliottnow
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Heart kick ass! Anyone who judges this band on their Dianne Warren period is a fool -- a fool, I tell you!

Couldn't agree more!

SteveSly
12-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Totally agree Heart deserve it for sure. I have seen them live several times and Ann is one of THE BEST female vocalists in the history of rock n roll. I also agree with "Passionworks" and "Desire Walks On". Two underated albums for sure.

Steve Sly

Vic2012
12-13-2012, 04:45 AM
I sorta wanted to get a Heart compilation a while back but haven't gotten around to it. Never been too crazy about them but I like some of their 70s radio hits (and a couple 80s hits too). Anne Wilson is one of the very few female singers that I like. Congrats to them. They deserve it.

spacefreak
12-13-2012, 05:58 AM
I stand in awe when I consider Heart's contribution to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

Scott Bails
12-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I stand in awe when I consider Heart's contribution to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

I feel the same way about Randy Newman. :)

tom unbound
12-13-2012, 08:24 AM
: up Those early albums kicked ass !! And I'm going to say it, - It's damn near Prog. Wilson sisters Rule !

Jerjo
12-13-2012, 10:29 AM
I still have a serious crush on Nancy

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040628/040627_heart_vsmall.grid-4x2.jpg

cupwonder
12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Congrats to them!

trurl
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I have a serious crush on Ann. I don't care if she's 120 pounds or 1,000. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-etemv80Mvgc/TzF4IG-UxYI/AAAAAAAAAdo/e2w69qrmF8Q/s1600/ann.jpg

ajcmixer
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I believe that Desire Walks On was released in '93. Btw, it's good too hear you speak so highly of Passionworks. I got in a three pack with Bebe Le Strange and Private Audition, and it totally rocks!!!

You are correct. Thank you and I've corrected my OP. And, yes, Passionworks definitely rocks! :up

Nice to see some love 'round here for a band that has always been about love...:good.

Peace,
Alex

JIF
12-13-2012, 09:50 PM
: up Those early albums kicked ass !! And I'm going to say it, - It's damn near Prog. Wilson sisters Rule !Heart is prog, complete with a singer that could play flute like Peter Gabriel or Ian Anderson.

Joe F.
12-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Heart is prog, complete with a singer that could play flute like Peter Gabriel or Ian Anderson.

As much as I love early Heart, they are not prog. They are a hard rock band ala Zeppelin, but with that mid-'70s feel. Ann is on par with Gabriel on flute but nowhere near Ian, imho.

JIF
12-13-2012, 09:57 PM
As much as I love early Heart, they are not prog. They are a hard rock band ala Zeppelin, but with that mid-'70s feel. Ann is on par with Gabriel on flute but nowhere near Ian, imho.I disagree with that last part. Have you ever heard the song Sing Child Sing?

Joe F.
12-13-2012, 09:59 PM
I disagree with that last part. Have you ever heard the song Sing Child Sing?

Yes, many times. I've had that album since it came out. It's ok to disagree. We all have our opinions.

JIF
12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Yes, many times. I've had that album since it came out. It's ok to disagree. We all have our opinions.All I'm saying is that she gave Mr. Anderson a run for his money in terms of the flute playing on that song.

Jubal
12-13-2012, 10:49 PM
The R&RHOF has way too many jokes in its halls to be taken seriously. I congratulated Heart a long, long time ago. That was when they deserved to be called the greatest female fronted Rock band oof all time.

Joe F.
12-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Playing Dog & Butterfly at the moment. For me this is their peak.

Trane
12-14-2012, 03:51 AM
As much as I love early Heart, they are not prog. They are a hard rock band ala Zeppelin, but with that mid-'70s feel. Ann is on par with Gabriel on flute but nowhere near Ian, imho.

QFT

Deano
12-14-2012, 04:48 AM
I will always have a soft spot for Heart...first live band I ever saw in 1982 when they were the opening band for Queen at Milton Keynes Bowl.

The last time I saw them they were playing a free concert in Universal Theme Park, Orlando and I was surprised the set list omitted most of their 80's hits

Would love to see them back in the UK sometime

MindFur
12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Kerry speaks the truth again!!

Jefferson James
12-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Kerry speaks the truth again!!

Trust me, it gets me into trouble sometimes (the truth, that is)! :) Thanks, man.

JKL2000
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Back in the 70s when Heart were new-ish, two of my friends somehow got the number of Nancy Wilson's management and called her and left some dopey message for her. They didn't think anything would come of it, so went out, and when they got home the mom of one of my friends told them Nancy Wilson had called back for them. It was true, and they missed it! Agh!

sotdude
12-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Very happy to see Heart going in. Anyone who is a fan and hasn't heard their new release Fanatic needs to do so-half VERY rocking, a few cool folksy tunes, and a couple catchy pop songs. Classic Heart!

3LockBox
12-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Red Velvet Car is an excellent album as well. So to was 2004's Jupiter's Darling.

yogibear
12-17-2012, 07:53 PM
congrats to them. killer band but when they lost roger fisher i sort of lost interest. the sisters ran the band but the ace in the hole was rogers guitar playing. wild, all over the place unpredicatable but mostly interesting. they never really got another flashy guitar player again seemed they were happy with guitar playing that sounded just like every one else doing aor and fm radio heavy rock.

JIF
12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
congrats to them. killer band but when they lost roger fisher i sort of lost interest. the sisters ran the band but the ace in the hole was rogers guitar playing. wild, all over the place unpredicatable but mostly interesting. they never really got another flashy guitar player again seemed they were happy with guitar playing that sounded just like every one else doing aor and fm radio heavy rock.Bebe Le Strange is an excellent release, and Roger isn't on there. Plus, if Behind The Music is to be believed, he didn't leave the band on good terms(apparently, he threw a hissy fit when his guitar stopped working onstage; he tried to smash in to bits on stage, then he tried to connect it with Nancy's head backstage). Plus, he was a member of Alias(who had a hit with More Than Words Can Say) with Steve Fossen and Mike DeRosier.

trurl
12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
(apparently, he threw a hissy fit when his guitar stopped working onstage; he tried to smash in to bits on stage, then he tried to connect it with Nancy's head backstage)

Well, that was the culmination of a lot of frustration, a lot of which stemmed from issues being in a relationship with... Nancy, I think? Anyway, he definitely had a lot to do with the band's sound. So did DeRosier. Bebe Le Strange was ok, but it was the end, and a far cry from Dog and Butterfly.

Joe F.
12-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Well, that was the culmination of a lot of frustration, a lot of which stemmed from issues being in a relationship with... Nancy, I think? Anyway, he definitely had a lot to do with the band's sound. So did DeRosier. Bebe Le Strange was ok, but it was the end, and a far cry from Dog and Butterfly.

Agreed. BeBe Le Strange is decent,imo, but nowhere near D & B, which I find to be their peak.

And yes he was with Nancy. His brother Mike was with Ann.

Roger still plays around the area occasionally.

So has anyone heard exactly who is inducted into the HoF besides the Wilsons? I sure hope the early band members aren't neglected.

ajcmixer
12-18-2012, 08:30 PM
So has anyone heard exactly who is inducted into the HoF besides the Wilsons? I sure hope the early band members aren't neglected.

Do they actually do that, induct only certain members of a group? I might be a bit naive 'bout all of this but didn't they induct Heart? And they certainly can't be defining that as the current band because nobody in this current band, while good, had anything to do with their glory years. Howard Leese was the last mainstay and he's been gone since 1999!

Peace,
Alex

Joe F.
12-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Do they actually do that, induct only certain members of a group?

Well, I had heard that Bob Welch wasn't inducted along with Fleetwood Mac, while I believe just about everyone else that ever played with them was.

I'm not sure if there are other examples, without looking.

JIF
12-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Well, I had heard that Bob Welch wasn't inducted along with Fleetwood Mac, while I believe just about everyone else that ever played with them was.

I'm not sure if there are other examples, without looking.Only the '70-'75(post Ant) lineup was inducted. Despite Ant not being inducted, he was mentioned in Trey's induction speech.

Scott Bails
12-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah - I didn't see Ray Wilson up there, either.

No idea who determines who the "inducted members" are for any given act, however.

JIF
12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah - I didn't see Ray Wilson up there, either.

No idea who determines who the "inducted members" are for any given act, however.Well, Ray wasn't an important part of Genesis. Ant was so important that Genesis considered disbanding when he left. Also, Steve did play similarly to Ant on his first few Genesis releases.

gregory
12-19-2012, 12:46 PM
I have never heard them, and even of them. Deep Purple I have heard since I was a little kid.

JIF
12-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I have never heard them, and even of them. Deep Purple I have heard since I was a little kid.Do you live under a rock? How could you have not heard of Heart?

ajcmixer
12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
I have never heard them, and even of them. Deep Purple I have heard since I was a little kid.

That is a very interesting point, Gregory, and I'd like to pursue it for a moment here on PE since...

...this is an international website and I'm assuming you're from overseas (as opposed to being here in the USA) and therein, I believe, lays a general problem with familiarity or lack thereof. You're not familiar with Heart though one can say that they definitely were bordering on the huge here in their heyday (as having sold over 30 million albums worldwide would attest to though I'd be interested how many of those were sold outside the USA). But I'm going to assume that groups that were or are quite familiar on your side of the pond (Eloy, PFM, Magma, Gong, VDGG, Camel in the prog category, to name a few) would be barely regonized by the "average" fan or even the "average" prog fan here in the USA because I can tell you that as much as I was into prog in the 70's as it was happening, I, of course, was basicially privy to what radio was playing back in the day, which I thought was a pretty wide variety of music from many countries. But, obviously, not all the groups that either made it "big" (all relative, of course...;)) and/or got radio play here got the same kind of treatment outside of the US and vice versa. And so many factors go into that, including whether groups were able to travel overseas to foreign countries to try to establish a fan base outside of their home country. So your post got me thinking about how truly multi-cultural we are in all ways of life including what music we listen to and how we are exposed to it.

Peace,
Alex

BTW JIF, you need to chill with the posts. Ants live under rocks, not human beings. Approaching with honey rather than vinegar will usually elicit a kindler and gentler response...:p

SteveSly
12-19-2012, 01:12 PM

I'm not sure if there are other examples, without looking.

A few I can think of off the top of my head:

Black Sabbath - No Ronnie James Dio which is a crime. Also not included Ian Gillian, Vinnie Appice, Tony Martin, Cozy Powell, and a host of others who have been in and out of the band over the years.

Metalica - No Dave Mustaine who was a founding member.

Santana - I think only the original band was inducted even though there have been several succesfull lineps over the years.

The Who - I don't think Kenny Jones was inducted even though he appeared on two studio albums.

It will be interesting to see who gets inducted with Heart. The original lineup broke up in the early 80's, yet they have put out albums and toured ever since that time with various other members. I would think at least the late 80's early 90's version of the band should be included.

Steve Sly

Steve Sly

JIF
12-19-2012, 09:03 PM
A few I can think of off the top of my head:

Black Sabbath - No Ronnie James Dio which is a crime. Also not included Ian Gillian, Vinnie Appice, Tony Martin, Cozy Powell, and a host of others who have been in and out of the band over the years.

Metalica - No Dave Mustaine who was a founding member.

Santana - I think only the original band was inducted even though there have been several succesfull lineps over the years.

The Who - I don't think Kenny Jones was inducted even though he appeared on two studio albums.

It will be interesting to see who gets inducted with Heart. The original lineup broke up in the early 80's, yet they have put out albums and toured ever since that time with various other members. I would think at least the late 80's early 90's version of the band should be included.

Steve Sly

Steve SlyI thought that Dave was inducted along with Metallica, since songs that he co-wrote appeared on the first two Metallica albums. I know that he was invited, but declined to go.

SteveSly
12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
I thought that Dave was inducted along with Metallica, since songs that he co-wrote appeared on the first two Metallica albums. I know that he was invited, but declined to go.

You may be right, I am not sure. I remember there was some controversy around it, but maybe it was just that he decided not to attend and he was actually inducted.

Steve Sly

meimjustalawnmower
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Mustaine was not inducted with the other members of Metallica. He was invited to attend but chose not to.

Scott Bails
12-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Mustaine was not inducted with the other members of Metallica. He was invited to attend but chose not to.

If he wasn't being inducted, then I don't blame him.

meimjustalawnmower
12-19-2012, 11:27 PM
If he wasn't being inducted, then I don't blame him.
Mustaine was in Metallica for about ten minutes. Who gives a shit.

JIF
12-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Mustaine was in Metallica for about ten minutes. Who gives a shit.Obviously, some people do. Also, the band seemed to care since a lot of songs he co-wrote appeared on Kill 'Em All(seems like every other song is a Mustaine co-write) and Ride The Lightning(he only had to co-writes). I think that people gave a shit about Megadeth, because Dave was in Metallica.

gregory
12-20-2012, 04:53 AM
That is a very interesting point, Gregory, and I'd like to pursue it for a moment here on PE since...

...this is an international website and I'm assuming you're from overseas (as opposed to being here in the USA) and therein, I believe, lays a general problem with familiarity or lack thereof. You're not familiar with Heart though one can say that they definitely were bordering on the huge here in their heyday (as having sold over 30 million albums worldwide would attest to though I'd be interested how many of those were sold outside the USA). But I'm going to assume that groups that were or are quite familiar on your side of the pond (Eloy, PFM, Magma, Gong, VDGG, Camel in the prog category, to name a few) would be barely regonized by the "average" fan or even the "average" prog fan here in the USA because I can tell you that as much as I was into prog in the 70's as it was happening, I, of course, was basicially privy to what radio was playing back in the day, which I thought was a pretty wide variety of music from many countries. But, obviously, not all the groups that either made it "big" (all relative, of course...;)) and/or got radio play here got the same kind of treatment outside of the US and vice versa. And so many factors go into that, including whether groups were able to travel overseas to foreign countries to try to establish a fan base outside of their home country. So your post got me thinking about how truly multi-cultural we are in all ways of life including what music we listen to and how we are exposed to it.

Peace,
Alex

BTW JIF, you need to chill with the posts. Ants live under rocks, not human beings. Approaching with honey rather than vinegar will usually elicit a kindler and gentler response...:p
So Alex, if we agree for USA being the focal point of rock music market, and therefore, it must be The American Rock n' Roll Hall Of Fame to celebrate rock heroes that are first of all influential in USA? And do you think that Deep Purple never "made it big enough"? Is USA one of the countries, where DP is "barely recognized"?

gregory
12-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Do you live under a rock? How could you have not heard of Heart?
I can't describe 'how', but it's true, I never ever heard of them. They must be very popular in US, as I see from this thread. But the world-wide popularity of some music could be as different, as American football is different to football also known as soccer.

Trane
12-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Agreed. BeBe Le Strange is decent,imo, but nowhere near D & B, which I find to be their peak.

And yes he was with Nancy. His brother Mike was with Ann.

Yup BBLS is not that good, but it's their last Album I'll give a listen until maybe the 00's releases

Didn't Andes also have a brother (Matt and Mark maybe??) ,that had some doing with them in the 80's

SteveSly
12-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Yup BBLS is not that good, but it's their last Album I'll give a listen until maybe the 00's releases

Didn't Andes also have a brother (Matt and Mark maybe??) ,that had some doing with them in the 80's

Mark Andes was a member for a time. He was with them once when I saw them live, but don't remember the year.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
12-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Mustaine was in Metallica for about ten minutes. Who gives a shit.

Granted Mustaine was not with them at all once they got big, but he was an original member and was one of their main songwriters at the beginning. I could understand it going either way.

Steve Sly

JIF
12-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Didn't Andes also have a brother (Matt and Mark maybe??) ,that had some doing with them in the 80'sBoth Mark and Matt were in Spirit; Matt was an original member of Spirit, Mark was in a latter '70s lineup. Only Mark was in Heart(at the same time as Denny Carmassi from Montrose).

Trane
12-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Both Mark and Matt were in Spirit; Matt was an original member of Spirit, Mark was in a latter '70s lineup. Only Mark was in Heart(at the same time as Denny Carmassi from Montrose).

Yeah, I knew for Spirit.... forsome reasons I had thought I'd seen in this thread that Matt was also in Heart at one point... Alzheimer trikes again ;)

I saw Spirit in 83... I know it was an Andes brother on bass... but can't remember if it was the original member or the brother, though

gregory
12-21-2012, 12:22 PM
So Alex, if we agree for USA being the focal point of rock music market, and therefore, it must be The American Rock n' Roll Hall Of Fame to celebrate rock heroes that are first of all influential in USA? And do you think that Deep Purple never "made it big enough"? Is USA one of the countries, where DP is "barely recognized"?
Who of that respectable jury suggested Procol Harum for nominee, just wondering;)

JIF
12-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I knew for Spirit.... forsome reasons I had thought I'd seen in this thread that Matt was also in Heart at one point... Alzheimer trikes again ;)

I saw Spirit in 83... I know it was an Andes brother on bass... but can't remember if it was the original member or the brother, thoughMark is the one that played bass; Matt play guitar.

Brian Griffin
12-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Never that big a fan of them in their day but I've got a few of their releases and have been invited a few times to see them live in great seats the past few years

They had a younger girl playing a moog with them the last time I saw them which was pretty cool

Very cool shows every time

Talk about aging well - she still looks fantastic

BG

ajcmixer
12-22-2012, 05:40 PM

I'd be happy to agree on the USA if you do...;):). That being said, since it is housed here in the USA and, presumably, has all Americans on its committee, it would be easy to assume that they will first look for American bands and/or bands that made a significant impact here in the USA. And, simply stated, I do feel that Deep Purple are deserving to be inducted for the reason that all bands should be deserving of induction: on their body of work and though I don't consider myself a big DP fan myself I believe that their body of work (and the fact(?) that they were one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time) makes them deserving of induction and it is a shame that in the year of the death of one of their members and one of the greatest keyboardist of all time that they were not inducted this year.

Peace,
Alex

JIF
12-23-2012, 08:04 PM
I'd be happy to agree on the USA if you do...;):). That being said, since it is housed here in the USA and, presumably, has all Americans on its committee, it would be easy to assume that they will first look for American bands and/or bands that made a significant impact here in the USA. And, simply stated, I do feel that Deep Purple are deserving to be inducted for the reason that all bands should be deserving of induction: on their body of work and though I don't consider myself a big DP fan myself I believe that their body of work (and the fact(?) that they were one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time) makes them deserving of induction and it is a shame that in the year of the death of one of their members and one of the greatest keyboardist of all time that they were not inducted this year.

Peace,
AlexI blame Blackmore and his black magic for Purple not getting in. ;)

trurl
12-23-2012, 08:59 PM
I blame Blackmore and his black magic for Purple not getting in. ;)

Of course! It all makes sense... Well wait, not really- why would he block his own induction? Wouldn't it be the other way? Now Jimmy Page, otoh...

JIF
12-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Of course! It all makes sense... Well wait, not really- why would he block his own induction? Wouldn't it be the other way? Now Jimmy Page, otoh...Blackmore didn't want to be inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. I guess if the hall didn't get Blackmore to show, then there would be no point inducting Purple.

italprogfan
12-23-2012, 09:41 PM
no. no accolades whatsoever. sorry, there were a couple of truly incredible moments before they faded into commerciality.

Vic2012
12-24-2012, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't include Dave Mustain in the HOF with Metallica. Granted, he was important in their early history but he never recorded with them. And I'm sure all the acrimony between Dave and Metallica didn't help either.

JIF
12-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't include Dave Mustain in the HOF with Metallica. Granted, he was important in their early history but he never recorded with them. And I'm sure all the acrimony between Dave and Metallica didn't help either.Dave and Metallica patched things up years ago. They were on the Big 4 tour together, and Metallica extended an invitation to Dave to attend their R&R hall of fame induction.

Vic2012
12-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Dave and Metallica patched things up years ago. They were on the Big 4 tour together, and Metallica extended an invitation to Dave to attend their R&R hall of fame induction.

Yes, I know that Dave and Metallica patched up all thier indifferences. Dave is now, supposedly a "born again Christian." Good for him. If it keeps him on the straight and narrow, good for him. God Bleshem :lol ;).

ajcmixer
12-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Who of that respectable jury suggested Procol Harum for nominee, just wondering;)

Well, first of all, I never suggested that their "jury"/committee was "respectable"...;):)...which leads me to my 2nd point, that ultimately it is all one big joke to be taken with an equally big grain of salt. I'm happy for many individuals/bands for being inducted but looking at the total list inducted it is basically an embarrassment to call it a "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". Applying just a modicum of common sense, IMHO it is a fraud.

I'm just going to pick, alphabetically, a couple of individuals/bands that could/should be honored but not in the R&R HOF:

ABBA
Louis Armstrong
The Bee Gees
Miles Davis
The Drifters
Aretha Franklin
BB King
Otis Redding
Pete Seeger
The Supremes

All of the above I either like or admire for their pure talent but I'd be open to hear what they did to further the cause of "Rock and Roll".

But returning to the OP, on a personal note I'm especially happy for Heart simply in the respect that maybe they will be able to get more publicity out of their induction and give their careers a little added zip. I also feel that they are deserving because the Wilson sisters are two are the few still standing that can still bring it, performance-wise, as Ann's vocal prowess is still exceptional for someone of her age and one could argue that they can still rock pretty well, recording-wise, as evidenced by their latest offering.

Peace,
Alex

Jerjo
12-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Anyone see the Kennedy Center Honors last night. Ann & Nancy (and Jason Bonham) blew the roof off the joint.

Scott Bails
12-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Anyone see the Kennedy Center Honors last night. Ann & Nancy (and Jason Bonham) blew the roof off the joint.

That was fantastic. Great show all around, but the Wilsons were amazing. Great production.

Sean
12-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Yep! Easily the best tune of the night.

enpdllp
12-27-2012, 10:35 AM

They did a great job on Stairway. Ann's voice was in top shape. A nice touch was Jason and the chorus wearing bowler hats in tribute to Bonham. On a few close ups of Jones, Page and Plant, you could see that their eyes were misty and they were really enjoying the moment.

JKL2000
12-27-2012, 11:37 AM

And songs like Eminence Front and Face Dances must have been pretty big hits, judging by the number of times I remember seeing the videos on MTV.

ajcmixer
12-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Once again, as a long-time fan, I'm gratified to see the love shown for the Wilson sisters and that they are still able to bring it as they apparently did at the Kennedy Honors and especially in front of their life-long idols. Can't imagine how nervous they were for what was obviously an opportunity and a performance of a lifetime.

Peace,
Alex

np: the just purchased Celebration Day DVD!

enpdllp
12-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Can't imagine how nervous they were for what was obviously an opportunity and a performance of a lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUukLDYT90A

The following clip has the complete LZ Kennedy Honors section. For those wanting to go straight to Stairway To Heaven, it starts at 14:43.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOy5TCB9JMw

ajcmixer
12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
^Thank you, enpdllp, for the Ann & Nancy interview clip (as well as the complete LZ clip). I love the Wilson sisters, one can tell that they are as much fans of the past as they are musicians of the present. Can't wait to see them next month on 1/29@BergenPAC, NJ on their celebratory 2013 tour before they get inducted into the HOF. It will be interesting to see if they tweak their setlist after both the announcement that they will be inducted and their performance at the Kennedy Honors...;) :).

Peace,
Alex

rapidfirerob
12-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Ann and Nancy's version of STH were the best, with Lenny Kravitz a close second in the Zeppelin arena. Dave Grohl and Kid Rock shouldn't have attempted Zep, bad.

Sean
12-27-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JK_DOJa99oo

enpdllp
12-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Ann and Nancy's version of STH were the best, with Lenny Kravitz a close second in the Zeppelin arena. Dave Grohl and Kid Rock shouldn't have attempted Zep, bad.

I actually preferred the Foo Fighters attempt better than Kravitz, but both fell short from the Wilson sisters performance. Kid Rock was completely out of place.

ajcmixer
12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I actually preferred the Foo Fighters attempt better than Kravitz, but both fell short from the Wilson sisters performance. Kid Rock was completely out of place.

OFT. I don't think Kid Rock has any shame in himself...:oops.

Peace,
Alex

Sean
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I am sure Dave Grohl insisted on palying drums on that one. He did OK, but his drummer didn't do too hot on the singing. Zep didn't even get up and clap when they were done.

progeezer
12-27-2012, 03:52 PM
You could clearly see Percy tearing up listening to Ann, Nancy & Jason as they were tearing it up.

Always wanted to use that word twice in a sentence meaning 2 different things:lol.

trurl
12-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Ann is still the Hot One. Case closed. :D

ajcmixer
12-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Ann is still the Hot One. Case closed. :D

I agree. Because she continues to radiate that inner beauty that she has always had...;):)!

Peace,
Alex

3LockBox
12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I maybe woulda rather heard Ann-n-Nancy do Rain Song instead... with reals strings instead of the 'tron. LZ did indeed seem to be quite moved.

Did anyone catch LZ's appearance on Letterman later that night?

JIF
12-27-2012, 09:34 PM
I maybe woulda rather heard Ann-n-Nancy do Rain Song instead... with reals strings instead of the 'tron. LZ did indeed seem to be quite moved.

Did anyone catch LZ's appearance on Letterman later that night?That's a good idea, and also have Ann add some flute to The Rain Song.

meimjustalawnmower
12-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I just never thought I would live long enough to see the President Of The United States mouthing the lyrics to Whole Lotta Love. Fucking surreal!

progeezer
12-27-2012, 10:09 PM
I just never thought I would live long enough to see the President Of The United States mouthing the lyrics to Whole Lotta Love. Fucking surreal!:lol I thought exactly the same thing!

After all, this Prez admits he inhaled (a lot).

Jerjo
12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Who the heck was the woman behind Page? Has he actually taken up with a woman his own age?

meimjustalawnmower
12-30-2012, 02:59 PM
:lol I thought exactly the same thing!

After all, this Prez admits he inhaled (a lot).

You know damn well that it took everything he could do to not stand up and play some air guitar! :lol

JIF
02-18-2013, 05:56 AM
I saw several posts on Facebook today that said that the original Heart lineup will play at the induction ceremony.

SteveSly
02-19-2013, 01:49 AM
I saw several posts on Facebook today that said that the original Heart lineup will play at the induction ceremony.

That should happen. When they first started out they were very much a band and not just Ann and Nancy with side players. I hope it happens.
I think they are all alive.

Steve Sly

Joe F.
02-19-2013, 08:15 AM

Interesting. I hope this is true. It does go against what Ann & Nanacy said shortly after being told they were inducted. Hopefully they've hade a change of, ahem, heart.

enpdllp
02-19-2013, 03:32 PM
That should happen. When they first started out they were very much a band and not just Ann and Nancy with side players. I hope it happens.
I think they are all alive.

Steve Sly

I am not sure if you are aware, but it is not just the Wilson sisters being inducted into the R&RHOF. Roger Fisher, Steve Fossen, Howard Leese and Michael DeRosier were also included as part of Heart for the induction. All of them are still alive.

If they play together that would be great, but considering all the history between the Fisher brothers and the Wilson sisters, it might be asking too much. There has been plenty of inductees that have accepted the award, but not played on their induction ceremony. There is also the possibility of some of them not even showing up to the ceremony à la Axl Rose!!!

enpdllp
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Interesting. I hope this is true. It does go against what Ann & Nanacy said shortly after being told they were inducted. Hopefully they've hade a change of, ahem, heart.

If the Facebook post was legit and Roger Fisher could not have kept quiet about it, he might have screwed up the chance of a Heart reunion for the R&RHOF ceremony. There has been a lot of bad blood between the Wilson Sisters and the Fisher brothers. For him to blabber it on his Facebook page without the Wilson sisters blessing would appear to be a stupid move from his part. The Wilson sisters might see it as Fisher trying to upstage them.

There is also the possibility that the Facebook announcement might have been wishful thinking from Fisher's part, some way for him to gather attention or someone impersonating him on Facebook. Apparently the Facebook statement was removed shortly after being posted and there has been no mention of the original lineup playing at the ceremony on Fisher's official website. Neither a statement from the Wilson sisters confirming a change from their comments at the time their induction to the R&RHOF was announced. When Ann Wilson was asked if she had any plans to regroup the original line-up for a performance at the HOF ceremony in Los Angeles she answered, "No. Nope". She also commented "We've been playing with our current band way, way longer than that. This is one of those things we'll need to dust off among ourselves. But we're both really happy if the initial lineup of guys gets acknowledged".

On other Heart related news, Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) will be inducting Heart into the R&RHOF.

Jerjo
02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Howard Leese is probably relieved that he won't have to teach Roger Fisher how to play the leads on Magic Man for the umpteenth time.

JIF
02-19-2013, 10:16 PM
If the Facebook post was legit and Roger Fisher could not have kept quiet about it, he might have screwed up the chance of a Heart reunion for the R&RHOF ceremony. There has been a lot of bad blood between the Wilson Sisters and the Fisher brothers. For him to blabber it on his Facebook page without the Wilson sisters blessing would appear to be a stupid move from his part. The Wilson sisters might see it as Fisher trying to upstage them.

There is also the possibility that the Facebook announcement might have been wishful thinking from Fisher's part, some way for him to gather attention or someone impersonating him on Facebook. Apparently the Facebook statement was removed shortly after being posted and there has been no mention of the original lineup playing at the ceremony on Fisher's official website. Neither a statement from the Wilson sisters confirming a change from their comments at the time their induction to the R&RHOF was announced. When Ann Wilson was asked if she had any plans to regroup the original line-up for a performance at the HOF ceremony in Los Angeles she answered, "No. Nope". She also commented "We've been playing with our current band way, way longer than that. This is one of those things we'll need to dust off among ourselves. But we're both really happy if the initial lineup of guys gets acknowledged".

On other Heart related news, Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) will be inducting Heart into the R&RHOF.The post wasn't from Roger Fisher. It was on a classic rock mag I "liked".

enpdllp
02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
The post wasn't from Roger Fisher. It was on a classic rock mag I "liked".

The Facebook post I was talking about was allegedly from Fisher's Facebook page. Before I wrote my comment, I read on several news outlets that the "original" lineup of Heart was playing together at the R&RHOF ceremony. On every one of the articles I read, a post on Fisher's Facebook page was cited as the source of the announcement. Interestingly enough, most of the articles also state that the Facebook post was removed and that the announcement was contrary to what the Wilson sisters commented shortly after they got the news they were getting inducted into the R&RHOF.

trurl
02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
If the classic line-up doesn't play, that equals FAIL in my book. I fully appreciate and support the Wilson sisters for carrying on and playing out as Heart with the new band but it's the band that recorded Dreamboat Annie (mostly), Little Queen and Dog and Butterfly that's getting them in the HoF and that's the band I want to see play. Of course, I feel that any band or artist with integrity would show up at the induction ceremony, take a dump on the stage and then leave, but that's just me.

Lino
02-20-2013, 01:20 PM

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040628/040627_heart_vsmall.grid-4x2.jpg

Now there's as sexy mature woman. Yowsa. She looks hotter than ever!

Gruno
02-20-2013, 01:21 PM
If the classic line-up doesn't play, that equals FAIL in my book.

I have enjoyed every era of Heart. For me, it wouldn't matter who performed with the sisters.

Lino
02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
...and yes, Heart is a great rock band who deserve whatever recognition they get.

enpdllp
02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
If the classic line-up doesn't play, that equals FAIL in my book. I fully appreciate and support the Wilson sisters for carrying on and playing out as Heart with the new band but it's the band that recorded Dreamboat Annie (mostly), Little Queen and Dog and Butterfly that's getting them in the HoF and that's the band I want to see play. Of course, I feel that any band or artist with integrity would show up at the induction ceremony, take a dump on the stage and then leave, but that's just me.

It is an awards ceremony, the inductees are not required to play. You claim to support the Wilson sisters for carrying on and playing as Heart, but cannot support their decision of not playing with the old members? Are you aware that Nancy dated Roger Fisher and Michael DeRosier and both relationships ended because Nancy found out they were fooling around while they were dating her? Roger Fisher was thrown out of the band shortly after a violent outburst where he threw a guitar towards a wall narrowly missing Nancy. Roger's older brother Mike was Heart's manager and he dated Ann until she found out he was cheating on her. Based on all of their past history, I don't feel that it would be reasonable to expect the Wilson sisters joining some of the players from the old lineup.

trurl
02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
It is an awards ceremony, the inductees are not required to play. You claim to support the Wilson sisters for carrying on and playing as Heart, but cannot support their decision of not playing with the old members? Are you aware that Nancy dated Roger Fisher and Michael DeRosier and both relationships ended because Nancy found out they were fooling around while they were dating her? Roger Fisher was thrown out of the band shortly after a violent outburst where he threw a guitar towards a wall narrowly missing Nancy. Roger's older brother Mike was Heart's manager and he dated Ann until she found out he was cheating on her. Based on all of their past history, I don't feel that it would be reasonable to expect the Wilson sisters joining some of the players from the old lineup.

I don't care about the past politics of the band (of which, yes, I am fully aware). I'm saying they should get past that and play the show with that line up for at least a song or two or not play at all (a perfectly valid choice, imo). I also know the chances of that happening are 1,000,000 to 1. It's just what I personally would want to tune in for. It's all about the context of their history as a band and what they're being honored for, not any comment on the band as it stands now (which is an absolutely killer bunch of players, btw).

JIF
02-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Now there's as sexy mature woman. Yowsa. She looks hotter than ever!Not to burst your bubble, but I think that's an older pic. She has a few more winkles now, but she is still hot.