12-11-2012, 02:04 PM
PHIDEAUX at Quebec City Prog Festival May 2013
Quebec City Prog Festival
Terra Incognita
Quebec City, Canada
May 18th-19th 2013
Presents

PHIDEAUX from the United States

MORE INFO HERE (http://terraincognitaprog.weebly.com/)

Other bands at the festival…

and other bands to be announced, including other european ones...

cupwonder
12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Nice.

boilk
12-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Good catch!

neil

Dan Marsh
12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Gonna be a great weekend!

Lopez
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't think I'll be going to this next year. I had a blast at this past year's fest. If you get the chance, do go. It's a wonderful festival at a great venue in beautiful Quebec City. And don't take just my word for it. A number of PE'ers were there this past May.

gryphs also
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
No brainer for me! I was already planning to go but this is just icing on the cake (maybe I'll bring some cake my daughter makes....).

Camelogue
12-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Have fun kids, alas as I am trying to do Rosfest and Baja this year.
Would love to catch RPWL again sometime.

Jefferson James
12-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I had a blast at this past year's fest. If you get the chance, do go. It's a wonderful festival at a great venue in beautiful Quebec City. And don't take just my word for it. A number of PE'ers were there this past May.

Seconded! Quebec City is a jewel to behold and a lovely place to hang out and soak up the vibes, Michel and the Terra Incognita crew are incredible, the venue is stellar (fantastic sound and sight-lines) and 2013's line-up is looking great so far.

I hope I have the funds to make it in 2013!

gryphs also
12-11-2012, 08:54 PM
I hope I have the funds to make it in 2013!

With the new band??????......can't blame a guy for trying....

progeezer
12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Another voice to add to Lou, Kerry, Bob & Tony's. Terra Incognita is a superb festival and I would encourage all who can to make the trip. Rosfest, France, Progday and the Monterey Jazz Festival (it's about time Kay got to pick one:)) have made this a "can't do this year", but I'll be back!

Quebec City is simply beautiful, and there is much to do & see during the day.

Jon
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I was hoping Phideaux would end up at RoSFest or Baja Prog. Seems unlikely we'll manage to get up to Quebeq, although we would love to.

Jefferson James
12-12-2012, 11:54 AM
With the new band?

Thanks, Gryphs, I like your attitude! :)

Realistically, until Heliopolis finishes our debut album and get a few gigs under our belts, we're not asking nor expecting any festivals to give us the time of day (although we have had some interest already, much to my delight and gratitude -- thank you!).

It's tough starting from scratch but it's also a lot of fun; we have nothing to lose, you know? We're just going for it 100% and that is very liberating and refreshing. We're all committed to the band and we want to deliver the best music and performances we can. Next month's gig in Berkeley is a start, we're working on some local gigs for February, we've started recording, so the wheels are definitely turning.

God willing, if I have the cash before Terra Incognita 2013 sells-out (and all indications are that it will), I would love to come to Quebec City as a fan and enjoy the festival. Playing it by ear and hoping Santa is good to me this year (frankly, I've been pretty bad). ;)

3RDegree_Robert
12-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Very cool you've been able to find another situation so quickly Kerry. It's not easy keeping a band together and equally hard to start up a new one in this genre for sure.

progsynth
12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Congratulations Phideaux-- you are going to have a blast! Great people, great venue, great city.

arabicadabra
12-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Here, here - Phideaux is a great guy and a real music lover as well as composer and performer and he deserves all the success and acclaim he and his band get. Quebec is in for a treat!

3RDegree_Robert
12-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Here, here....here. Yes, a great guy for sure. My band has opened up for Phideaux and would love to again in a cold Canadian city with beautiful city walls. ;)

Jefferson James
12-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Very cool you've been able to find another situation so quickly Kerry. It's not easy keeping a band together and equally hard to start up a new one in this genre for sure.

Thanks, man. It's definitely not the easiest task in the world starting a new prog-rock band, that's for sure. Luckily, we were able to keep my former band's core rhythm section together, so that kind of gave us an edge-up right out of the gate; even luckier, Jerry Beller was able to find a great guitarist, his old buddy Mike Matier who, much to our astonishment, brought along a vocalist who really kicks ass (Scott Jones). Scott "retired" from music a couple years ago but he's back with a vengance; he's been coming up with some great lyrics and musical ideas and has really helped spur the development of several songs. With keyboardist Matt Brown lending his considerable talents (songwriting, vocals and improvisation), well, it just seemed exceptionally fortutious it all came together as easily as it has.

The only frustrating thing is not being able to write and record stuff fast enough LOL; people are asking for songs, videos, etc., but, you know, this is prog-rock and as such the songwriting can be a time-intensive process. We're not necessarily into covers so we're intent on writing new stuff from the ground-up; everyone loves the collaboration process and, considering we've been functioning as a 5-piece since October, we've made pretty good strides. We make progress every week at rehearsals but it still takes a lot of time...

Sorry for the hijack.

bill g
12-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks, man. It's definitely not the easiest task in the world starting a new prog-rock band, that's for sure. Luckily, we were able to keep my former band's core rhythm section together, so that kind of gave us an edge-up right out of the gate; even luckier, Jerry Beller was able to find a great guitarist, his old buddy Mike Matier who, much to our astonishment, brought along a vocalist who really kicks ass (Scott Jones). Scott "retired" from music a couple years ago but he's back with a vengance; he's been coming up with some great lyrics and musical ideas and has really helped spur the development of several songs. With keyboardist Matt Brown lending his considerable talents (songwriting, vocals and improvisation), well, it just seemed exceptionally fortutious it all came together as easily as it has.

The only frustrating thing is not being able to write and record stuff fast enough LOL; people are asking for songs, videos, etc., but, you know, this is prog-rock and as such the songwriting can be a time-intensive process. We're not necessarily into covers so we're intent on writing new stuff from the ground-up; everyone loves the collaboration process and, considering we've been functioning as a 5-piece since October, we've made pretty good strides. We make progress every week at rehearsals but it still takes a lot of time...

Sorry for the hijack.

Hey Kerry, there was some really great solo songs clips you posted on the old PE site. Will any of that music be a part of Heliopolis?

How awesome it would be to see Phideaux live-quite the show I understand. Sure loved the last album! (well not just the last one...)

DeadwingRM
12-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, Mark and I are going. Can't wait to go back. Quebec City was beautiful.

Rayna

Snowboundstreet
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Hi! Does anyone have a bead on another source for tickets? Jim and I really want to go, but it seems they are sold out already? Or did I read that wrong? Box office is closed and I'm impatient (unlike Jim, who has the patience of a saint) ... which would be why we now have air flight tickets but no concert tickets! Ooops!

Quebec City is utterly beautiful in and of itself. But we did have our hearts set on this. If anyone has any thoughts, we'd be very grateful! Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
:)

Lila

Pierre
01-28-2013, 10:02 PM
I'll check with the guy who organizes the festival. More info tomorrow (tuesday).

Snowboundstreet
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Thank you! :)

Jon
02-06-2013, 04:18 AM
It seemed unlikely we would attend TI; in combination with RoSFest it requires taking many days off from work in a short period of time. The addition of Phideaux to the lineup, however, convinced us we had to make it work. We're looking forward to our first visit to Quebec and to lots of fine music. We'll be sitting at the back, but based on the size of the venue (which the website makes look super sweet) we're anticipating that all seats will be nice. Any info folks can share about pre-shows or visiting Quebec in general would be appreciated.

Lopez
02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Any info folks can share about pre-shows or visiting Quebec in general would be appreciated.

The Geezer and I went up last year and had quite the good time. Last year there was no pre show, so can't say much about that if there is one this year. The venue is an small old church converted to a concert hall. Even in the back you will have good seats as the church is pretty small. I'm guessing the place holds about 250 people. If you stay at the selected hotel, which is about 2 miles from the venue, you can hang out at the hotel's bar and grill (across the parking lot) where most of the bands and fest-goers from out of town hung out. Great place to meet the bands and try poutine. I'd never had it before, now I'm a fan. (No wise cracks, Steve; it does sound like an Italian word for a little lady of the night.) Definitely take a cab ride (about 15 to 20 minutes) to the old city. The weather was great last year; if it is this year, walk around St. Jean Street. Lots of interesting shops. Go to Chez Sonny, a great little record shop where I've found priceless LPs for fair prices. Definitely take a walk up to the Chateau Frontenac and go through the place. My wife and I have stayed there a number of times for the Winter Carnival. Best hotel, ever. In the back is a large wooden boardwalk from which you can see an expanse of the St. Laurence River. You might want to get Canadian money at a big bank in your home town before you go, as we found several of the ATMs in the old city were out of cash. (Tell 'em, Steve.) You will have an excellent time. The folks who run the show, particularly Michelle and Denis, are first-class folks who will do anything to make sure you have a good time.

Jimmy Giant
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
We're still hoping some tickets come available as we made plans before realizing it sold out. DOH!

So we'll be there regardless, but would be a shame to just visit the city and not experience the prime reason for going!

In any case, we're still looking forward to the trip.

Jefferson James
02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
The Geezer and I went up last year and had quite the good time. Last year there was no pre show, so can't say much about that if there is one this year. The venue is an small old church converted to a concert hall. Even in the back you will have good seats as the church is pretty small. I'm guessing the place holds about 250 people. If you stay at the selected hotel, which is about 2 miles from the venue, you can hang out at the hotel's bar and grill (across the parking lot) where most of the bands and fest-goers from out of town hung out. Great place to meet the bands and try poutine. I'd never had it before, now I'm a fan. (No wise cracks, Steve; it does sound like an Italian word for a little lady of the night.) Definitely take a cab ride (about 15 to 20 minutes) to the old city. The weather was great last year; if it is this year, walk around St. Jean Street. Lots of interesting shops. Go to Chez Sonny, a great little record shop where I've found priceless LPs for fair prices. Definitely take a walk up to the Chateau Frontenac and go through the place. My wife and I have stayed there a number of times for the Winter Carnival. Best hotel, ever. In the back is a large wooden boardwalk from which you can see an expanse of the St. Laurence River. You might want to get Canadian money at a big bank in your home town before you go, as we found several of the ATMs in the old city were out of cash. (Tell 'em, Steve.) You will have an excellent time. The folks who run the show, particularly Michelle and Denis, are first-class folks who will do anything to make sure you have a good time.

What a great write-up, Lou. You've got this old man remembering...man, that was a great time! Bittersweet in retrospect...hoping to make it back next year. Stoked for the sell-out!

Lopez
02-06-2013, 05:51 PM
You've got this old man remembering...man, that was a great time!

It sure was, Kerry. One of the best music weekends in memory. I'm so sorry I'll miss it this year.