PDA

View Full Version : December updates

Big Block 454 part 2
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Big Block 454

The band has been in abeyance since 2011’s “Bells & Proclamations” album. Will there ever be another BB454 album? Quite possibly, but certain criteria would have to be met:

1. It would have to be bloody good. I wouldn’t want to release anything under the Big Block 454 name that wasn’t absolutely wonderful – there’s a 23-year catalogue out there and it’s all good.

2. It would have to contain contributions from at least three of the main players (i.e. myself, Alex Stone, Mark Joell, Pete Scullion – and maybe Melissa Sinden).

Churn Milk Joan

I started recording with Richard Knutson in late 2011. Richard is from cold and lonely Minnesota, and now lives in picturesque downtown Bolton. During 2012, we have released two Churn Milk Joan albums - Dadaist Krautfunk, as it’s been described.

Recently, Richard and I spend a day recording with Pete Scullion and Marian Sutton. Pete was the original guitarist in Big Block 454 – I haven’t played with him for 10 years; in fact I’ve hardly seen him for 10 years. The recording went very well; a bit more work and it will be released as a Churn Milk Joan album. Perhaps more recordings with Pete are in the pipeline? (See Comment 2 in the Big Block 454 section…)

Richard and I have also been working on other material – enough for another Churn Milk Joan album. Expect to hear both albums early in the New Year.

Jumble Hole Clough

Since moving to Hebden Bridge in 2011, I have been working on a project to produce some unobtrusive music influenced by the landscape and industrial archaeology in the Calderdale area of West Yorkshire. I hesitate to call it ambient – I want to make it slightly more interesting than that.

So far, I have released two Jumble Hole Clough albums and a few short videos. Thoughts for the future – collaborations with artists, live performances in the landscape (when it gets warmer), films of those performances, more albums…

All the albums by the three projects are available through Bandcamp:

http://bigblock454.bandcamp.com/

http://churnmilkjoan.bandcamp.com/

http://jumbleholeclough.bandcamp.com/

Colin Robinson, Hebden Bridge, December 2012

NogbadTheBad
12-11-2012, 01:13 PM
I like the first Jumble Hole Clough a lot, it's a bit more energeic than ambient, lovely mood music though. I need to pick up the second one.

Reginod
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
The second CMJ is now on the radar . . . . . . . .

Ian if you liked the first JHC then you should like the second one as well.

Thanks for the update Colin!

NogbadTheBad
12-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Listening to it now on bandcamp.

Big Block 454 part 2
12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Recording this weekend, putting the finishing touches to the Churn Milk Joan material we recorded with Pete Scullion. I'm looking forward to it - punchy stuff.

Mostly vocal recording with Richard Knutson tomorrow. I will have to restrain myself from putting Kaossilator and Wahoo wah-wah all over it. New toys are always difficult to resist.