PDA

View Full Version : 10CC - Classic Album Selection

Sunhillow
12-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I was always a big fan of 10CC, with or without Godley & Creme. But the only CD I owned (and love) was "Windows In The Jungle".

So a week or so ago, I stumbled upon this, for a bargain:

It contains The Original Soundtrack, How Dare You, Deceptive Bends, Bloody Tourists and the double CD-set of Live And Let Live. The first three mentioned are IMO masterpieces. I'm not that fond of Bloody Tourists, but it's not a disaster. The real surprise is the often maligned live-album Live And Let Live. I understand the criticism about this live-album (too soon after and with too much emphasis on Deceptive Bends, no Godley and Creme-written songs, etc.) but people then forget it's an excellent live-album, and a worthy addition to my ever-growing collection. People unfamiliar with this live-album should revisit.

There's much to complain about this set too. Why not at least include Sheet Music. I could do without the s/t debut, but I wouldn't mind owning Look Hear and Ten Out Of 10 (both of which are better, if not much, than Bloody Tourists), up until the excellent Windows In The Jungle. If they made it an 10/11-disc set instead of the 5/6 now, like the Chicago-box, people would be I think more content.

That said, it's an excellent box on it's own, and again: the live-album was a surprise, for me.

ChrisXymphonia
12-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Why not at least include Sheet Music.

Simple answer: the first two (s/t and Sheet Music) where released on a different label called UK Records. There is a two disc set available that has everything from that era incl. separate singles etc.

I also bought this boxset precisely because it is limited to this particular period of 10CC. IMHO this is a far better option to buy then the recently released Tenology boxset (which doesn't include everything but is an overview). And it is much much much cheaper. I also like the fact that there aren't any bonustracks on the album which makes it a much more comfortable listening experience.

jlneudorf
12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I was always a big fan of 10CC, with or without Godley & Creme. But the only CD I owned (and love) was "Windows In The Jungle".

So a week or so ago, I stumbled upon this, for a bargain:

It contains The Original Soundtrack, How Dare You, Deceptive Bends, Bloody Tourists and the double CD-set of Live And Let Live. The first three mentioned are IMO masterpieces. I'm not that fond of Bloody Tourists, but it's not a disaster. The real surprise is the often maligned live-album Live And Let Live. I understand the criticism about this live-album (too soon after and with too much emphasis on Deceptive Bends, no Godley and Creme-written songs, etc.) but people then forget it's an excellent live-album, and a worthy addition to my ever-growing collection. People unfamiliar with this live-album should revisit.

There's much to complain about this set too. Why not at least include Sheet Music. I could do without the s/t debut, but I wouldn't mind owning Look Hear and Ten Out Of 10 (both of which are better, if not much, than Bloody Tourists), up until the excellent Windows In The Jungle. If they made it an 10/11-disc set instead of the 5/6 now, like the Chicago-box, people would be I think more content.

That said, it's an excellent box on it's own, and again: the live-album was a surprise, for me.

I bought "Live And Let Live" when it was first released. The first 10cc album I ever heard. An excellent live album that paved the way into into further discoveries. Absolutely love this influential band. What a great find! Hopefully "Bloody Tourists" will grow on you. 10cc were always great at writing pop songs and that album has many pop gems, IMHO.

bRETT
12-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I also bought this boxset precisely because it is limited to this particular period of 10CC. IMHO this is a far better option to buy then the recently released Tenology boxset (which doesn't include everything but is an overview). And it is much much much cheaper..

Wish I could get my hands on the DVD that comes with Tenology, but I'm not buying the whole set to get it. Not sure if your box set includes any of the B-sides, but 10cc had some great ones (and there was a non-LP track on virtually every single).

Progbear
12-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Like was said before, Sheet Music was on a different label. A shame they couldn’t include it as for me it’s their masterpiece, alongside the stunning Original Soundtrack.

You seem to be one of the few who agrees with me that Bloody Tourists was a disappointment. Without G&C’s guidance, their humour became smug and obvious, and their pop tunes became sickly sentimental, like they inherited all of Sir Paul McCartney’s worst tendencies and none (well...few) of his strengths. I must disagree that Look Hear was an improvement, for me it’s their worst album (though mind you, I haven’t heard any of the 90s reunion stuff), sadly in need of some of the weirdness and irreverence indicated by the surreal Hipgnosis cover art. Ten out of 10 is, at best, on par with BT; i.e.: mediocre with some spotty highlights (though the completist in me is perversely desirous of a “definitive edition” CD of this title with all of the music from these sessions, including the single A-side “Run Away,” even if it is something of a throwaway rewrite of “I’m Not in Love.”)

I definitely agree that Windows in the Jungle was a return-to-form; not on par with their classic work (SM/OS) perhaps, but nearly as strong song-for-song as How Dare You.

Wish I could get my hands on the DVD that comes with Tenology, but I'm not buying the whole set to get it. Not sure if your box set includes any of the B-sides, but 10cc had some great ones (and there was a non-LP track on virtually every single).

I think the only real essential B-sides were “Waterfall” and “Good News” (both of which strongly resemble some of G&C’s pre-10cc work as folkie strummers under the names Hotlegs and Frabjoy & Runcible Spoon). “Gizmo My Way” is somewhat interesting as an early demo of said device but I found much of the rest of their B-sides sounded like B-sides, if you get my meaning.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Ich liebe dich”-La Düsseldorf/Individuellos

yogibear
12-09-2012, 03:06 PM
sheet music is their best one overall , i think the stuff with the original band(all four of them) works best. "original soundtrack" is really nice "how dare you" is pretty killer as is the king biscuit live stuff. some of the godley creme stuff is really good with some of it being really head scratchingly wtf? stuff.

bRETT
12-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I think the only real essential B-sides were “Waterfall” and “Good News” (both of which strongly resemble some of G&C’s pre-10cc work as folkie strummers under the names Hotlegs and Frabjoy & Runcible Spoon). “Gizmo My Way” is somewhat interesting as an early demo of said device but I found much of the rest of their B-sides sounded like B-sides, if you get my meaning.

there's a few I'm partial to-- "Hot Sun Rock" is a pretty nifty instrumental, and "Hot to Trot" an equally nice rocker (and funny to boot). There's a couple others (like "Bee in My Bonnet") that I find hilarious because they're such intentuional throwaways.