PDA

View Full Version : Maroon 5

JIF
12-09-2012, 04:43 AM
I bought their cd, Hands All Over, at Target a few weeks ago. I bought it cause it was produced by "Mutt" Lange. At first I was turned off by them, but I decided to explore them due to my love of dance-rock bands like INXS and Duran Duran. Any Thoughts?

Rufus
12-09-2012, 07:33 AM
Their obviously good at what they do but a bit too sugary to be taken seriously . They found their commercial market so fair play to em.

yogibear
12-09-2012, 09:00 AM
"songs about jane" is a killer cd and while its dancey rock it has a bit more grit and an occassional guitar solo. real nice stuff but yeah compared to inxs or robert palmer maybe lightweight but there are some really nice tunes and light grooves to be found. for modern day dancey groove music you should check into some Brand New Heavies especially their first couple of albums/cds.

Adrian
12-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I like what I've heard. My wife has a couple of their albums.

progeezer
12-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't own anything by them, but in spite of Adam Levine's appallingly condescending persona on The Voice, the few times I've heard Maroon 5 (SNL, someone else's car, etc.), I gotta say I liked both the band and Levine's vocals. Maybe I'll check them out in earnest one day.

Gruno
12-09-2012, 12:14 PM
"Makes Me Wonder" is a great song they did! That songs works great when I am DJing a party.

I have a couple of their CDs, including when they were known as Kara's Flowers. Some might like that CD as it is very pop from the late 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4kv345vIU

nosebone
12-09-2012, 01:39 PM
He sings like a girl!

Scott Bails
12-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't turn them off when they're on the radio, but I think INXS and Duran Duran were much better at this kinda stuff.

Gruno
12-09-2012, 02:39 PM
He sings like a girl!

...because Geddy Lee and Jon Anderson have the most masculine of voices. Uh, yeah.

Jerjo
12-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I tend to lump them in with Matchbox 20. I believe this article speaks to the strength of their musical vision:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/matchbox-twenty-finally-finishes-watering-down-lon,1226/

nosebone
12-09-2012, 02:58 PM
...because Geddy Lee and Jon Anderson have the most masculine of voices. Uh, yeah.

they all sing like girls!!

Scott Bails
12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Ann Wilson sings like a girl, too.

What's your point?

Maroon 5 has tunes and dynamics - you should love it!

nosebone
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Ann Wilson sings like a girl, too.

What's your point?

Maroon 5 has tunes and dynamics - you should love it!

Only if your Scottballs!

Gruno
12-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Only if your Scottballs!

Seems more in this thread are in favor of this band more than Scottbails is. Your point?

JIF
12-09-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't own anything by them, but in spite of Adam Levine's appallingly condescending persona on The Voice, the few times I've heard Maroon 5 (SNL, someone else's car, etc.), I gotta say I liked both the band and Levine's vocals. Maybe I'll check them out in earnest one day.I think that it's all in fun. Since him and Christina seem to "argue" a lot, I assume it's all in fun since Christina was featured on the Maroon 5 song Moves Like Jagger.

Gruno
12-09-2012, 11:03 PM
I think that it's all in fun. Since him and Christina seem to "argue" a lot, I assume it's all in fun since Christina was featured on the Maroon 5 song Moves Like Jagger.

One can also look at that as a smart business move.

80s were ok
12-09-2012, 11:12 PM
any band that creates a song that becomes a 'wedding reception' staple for all time, has my respect even though I really don't like them. But like Kool and the Gangs "Celebration", "Move like Jagger" will be heard at wedding (and other) receptions for decades to come.

Rune Blackwings
12-10-2012, 07:58 PM
if i hear "moves like jagger" one more time, i am going to club someone

JIF
12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
if i hear "moves like jagger" one more time, i am going to club someoneWhy not just take someone to a club instead?

Scott Bails
12-10-2012, 08:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/s00gee/Emoticons/happy-uplaugh.gif

JIF made a joke! :lol

JIF
12-10-2012, 08:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/s00gee/Emoticons/happy-uplaugh.gif

JIF made a joke! :lolAll I meant that there's no need to get violent. Just find a pretty girl that likes that song and go dancing with her.

3LockBox
12-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Moves Like Jagger... Mick Jagger is a 70+ year old man. I'd hope a 30 year old could aspire to great heights, like Jagger was ever known for dance moves anyway. That airhead Kesha had a song that referenced Jagger. Quite the reach.

What next Jif? Goo Goo Dolls? Sugar Ray? ;)

Facelift
12-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Maroon 5?

Urge to kill.... rising.

JIF
12-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Moves Like Jagger... Mick Jagger is a 70+ year old man. I'd hope a 30 year old could aspire to great heights, like Jagger was ever known for dance moves anyway. That airhead Kesha had a song that referenced Jagger. Quite the reach.

What next Jif? Goo Goo Dolls? Sugar Ray? ;)I kinda like Goo Goo Dolls. Hate Sugar Ray, except for that song that was featured in the first Tony Hawk game. My fave Goo songs are the ones that they contributed to the Freddy's Dead soundtrack.

JKL2000
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I dislike them because they've occasionally been in my way when trying to get to the Marillion section. Hasn't happened in a while though!

mitchgx
12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Every time I hear a Maroon 5 song, I think, "Man, those guys really write some catchy songs....I kinda like 'em". And then I immediately feel bad about myself and put some Opeth on to try and redeem my life.

But yeah, they are good at what they do. If you want to hear something in the same vein, but want to feel superior about yourself, check out the band Reign of Kindo....they're kind of like the jazzy prog Maroon 5.

Jerjo
12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Oh man, this thread is getting my monitor soaked with back spray. I don't think Jen has ever been to a club that hasn't had a mosh pit and 90% of the audience wearing black t-shirts.

Scott Bails
12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Every time I hear a Maroon 5 song, I think, "Man, those guys really write some catchy songs....I kinda like 'em". And then I immediately feel bad about myself and put some Opeth on to try and redeem my life.

:lol

Jefferson James
12-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I have a couple of their CDs, including when they were known as Kara's Flowers. Some might like that CD as it is very pop from the late 90s.

I have a promo copy of "The Fourth World" I picked up during my late 90s powerpop frenzy. Not bad and certainly more appealing to me than Maroon 5. That said, buckets of respect to these guys for changing-up their game and breaking out, big time.

3LockBox
12-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Trane rulz

JIF
12-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Trane rulzOK? What does this have to do with Maroon 5?

Zeuhlmate
12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
if i hear "moves like jagger" one more time, i am going to club someone

I dont like this kind of music either, but there is actually an interesting version with Jordan Rudess a.o.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gffhbeUhs

JIF
03-01-2013, 08:49 PM
I finally did get around to listening to Hands All Over. Nice slice of funky pop with '80s production values, courtesy of "Mutt" Lange.

The Fantastic Progo Rican
03-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I dislike them because they've occasionally been in my way when trying to get to the Marillion section. Hasn't happened in a while though!

I still have that problem with Marilyn Manson

Rune Blackwings
03-03-2013, 02:23 AM
All I meant that there's no need to get violent. Just find a pretty girl that likes that song and go dancing with her.

what if i don't want to take a pretty girl?

and while i do not mind "this love", the rest of their stuff has become very annoying

Rune Blackwings
03-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Oh man, this thread is getting my monitor soaked with back spray. I don't think Jen has ever been to a club that hasn't had a mosh pit and 90% of the audience wearing black t-shirts.

i should tell you about one of my maryland death fest outings-i hear some people making comments like "are you kidding me" and that sort. I look and there's this dude in a pink dress. i'm thinking "wtf? PINK?" 95% of MDF's audiemce is wearing black and 100% have metal bands of some sort. this cat had neither. seriously-what were they thinking? unless they were there for Birdflesh...

tom unbound
03-03-2013, 06:26 PM
<<<I look and there's this dude in a pink dress.>>

Well, at least there was one guy there that wasn't a wannabe conformist. :rofl

Rickenbacker
03-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Can't stand them. Never liked their earlier 'faux soulful' sound, but I like their more recent straight up dance pop sound even less. Now they sound like everybody else to my ears. They're like Train & Matchbox 20 to me.

JIF
03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
i should tell you about one of my maryland death fest outings-i hear some people making comments like "are you kidding me" and that sort. I look and there's this dude in a pink dress. i'm thinking "wtf? PINK?" 95% of MDF's audiemce is wearing black and 100% have metal bands of some sort. this cat had neither. seriously-what were they thinking? unless they were there for Birdflesh...What does that have to do with Maroon 5? I don't see the connection.

Can't stand them. Never liked their earlier 'faux soulful' sound, but I like their more recent straight up dance pop sound even less. Now they sound like everybody else to my ears. They're like Train & Matchbox 20 to me.Maroon 5, Train, and Matchbox 20 sound nothing alike. Maroon 5 sounds like Blue-eyed Soul, Matchbox 20 sounds like Collective Soul, and Train sounds like a pop-blues band.

Rickenbacker
03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
What does that have to do with Maroon 5? I don't see the connection.

Maroon 5, Train, and Matchbox 20 sound nothing alike. Maroon 5 sounds like Blue-eyed Soul, Matchbox 20 sounds like Collective Soul, and Train sounds like a pop-blues band.

Same basic blandness to me.

progeezer
03-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Didn't anybody tell Adam Levine (and me for that matter:p) that because he has tats he can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

Please don't ask why, as it should be obvious if you think about it.

sonic
03-04-2013, 12:14 AM
This band was introduced to me about 7 years ago as the second coming of rock... When I heard them my response was, 'Where are the damn guitar solos?'.

JIF
03-04-2013, 12:19 AM
This band was introduced to me about 7 years ago as the second coming of rock... When I heard them my response was, 'Where are the damn guitar solos?'.Not all rock has guitar solos.

meimjustalawnmower
03-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Not all rock has guitar solos.
If it don't have a guitar solo, it ain't rock. ;)

sonic
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
If it don't have a guitar solo, it ain't rock. ;)
Damn right. :good

progeezer
03-04-2013, 12:44 AM
If it don't have a guitar solo, it ain't rock. ;)Good thing the "wink" was there!

ELP, Brian Auger & The Trinity w/Julie Driscoll. Rare Bird & probably more.:p;)

mnprogger
03-04-2013, 01:16 AM
you ask my gf, their 1st album is pretty good. Ever since, their music has sucked.

SteveSly
03-04-2013, 01:32 AM
I bought their cd, Hands All Over, at Target a few weeks ago. I bought it cause it was produced by "Mutt" Lange. At first I was turned off by them, but I decided to explore them due to my love of dance-rock bands like INXS and Duran Duran. Any Thoughts?

They are great at what they do, but not really my thing.

Steve Sly