PDA

View Full Version : (book) ELP: In Concert 1970-1979

A. Scherze
12-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Amazon has just notified me that Freeman's book on ELP in concert has been released and has shipped.

The title is Do You Wanna Play Some Magic?
Emerson, Lake and Palmer: In Concert 1970-1979.

trespass
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Amazon has just notified me that Freeman's book on ELP in concert has been released and has shipped.

The title is Do You Wanna Play Some Magic?
Emerson, Lake and Palmer: In Concert 1970-1979.

Just got on there and ordered mine today. I hope it's good reading!

The Silent Man
12-08-2012, 11:12 PM
I have this, signed by Lake. Haven't read it yet, however...

Jeremy Bender
12-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Never heard of this book, I read some of the preview pages on Amazon and just ordered it, it's a new copy for $21.72 (s&h & taxes included). Thanks for the heads up everyone!

Doctor Flang
12-10-2012, 04:06 AM
I know i sound harsh, but here's my first impressions. I got my copy a few weeks ago. The author is clearly a fan, but the book is not very well researched. No new interviews, no new information about the Newcastle "Pictures" shows, or what gigs were recorded or filmed. Even the equipment list is flawed, altough Freeman mentions that it was the hardest task of the book. (Somehow he missed that Greg Lake used Gibson Ripper in 1974, including Cal Jam.) Basically, the book is a hard-core fan's praise of 150 bootleg tapes. Compared to similiar books of The Who or Jimi Hendrix, this one falls flat.

Beebfader
12-10-2012, 05:06 AM
I have to agree with Doctor Flang. Pages and pages of reading about someone else listening to bootlegs is about as tedious as it gets, he makes far too many assumptions about what the audience is feeling and thinking and quoting such incisive stage announcements as "we'd like to carry on with a thing called `Tarkus'" is beyond the pale. I gave up a long time before the end having learned nothing. Oh, and I think you'll find that they weren't playing the same numbers faster and slower from night to night....it's far more likely that cassette machines varied somewhat in those days no ? Hate to slag anyone's labour of love, but as a premise, it just doesn't work.

Brian Griffin
12-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Well, I wish I'd read the above couple of reviews before I ordered this but.......C'est la vie

BG

jkelman
12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
he makes far too many assumptions about what the audience is feeling and thinking and quoting such incisive stage announcements as "we'd like to carry on with a thing called `Tarkus'" is beyond the pale..

Two things I hate: writers who assume they know what's in other peoples' heads - artists or audience - without actually having talked to them; and folks who deliver blow-by-blow accounts with absolutely trivial inclusions like the above.

Dan Marsh
12-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Even with the negative comments, I am looking forward to reading this.

gallen1964
12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Got this as soon as it came out and firstly want to commend Gary on the time and effort things like this take. However it's disappointing. Each review is so upbeat and repetitive that I just skipped most content and only went to the major gigs looking for tit bits. Perhaps tellingly High Voltage gets virtually 5 star rating. I was there and loved the occasion but as a performance is was patchy at best. Worth getting but a more balanced and less Fan centric prose may have helped.

Octave_Doctor
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, I wish I'd read the above couple of reviews before I ordered this but.......C'est la vie

BG

....have your leaves all turned to brown?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Steve

Brian Griffin
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
....have your leaves all turned to brown?

:)

I have a feeling I'll spark up one evening, put on an ELP show, and enjoy thumbing through this

I've spent worse $ for sure

BG