PDA

View Full Version : PSY apology

Brian Griffin
12-08-2012, 12:18 PM
He can GFHM with his apology!

BG

Baribrotzer
12-08-2012, 03:14 PM
What did he say that was anti-American, specifically? The guy lived in Boston for four years, basically just hanging out, so he couldn't have entirely hated the US. It might have just been a few halfway-true jokes of the kind every foreigner probably makes - like the stereotypes of terrible British food and rude Parisian waiters and terrifying Italian drivers. Perhaps he talked about Americans being fat and full of themselves and eating too much. But then, because of suddenly having that huge worldwide novelty hit and being asked to perform for the President (more likely for the President's daughters), he worried that people here would get all upset about that.

Progbear
12-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Did I miss something? Did he apologize for tormenting the world with his shitty music?

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Reality or Misanthropy? (Mix-Up)”-Cast/Angels & Demons

trurl
12-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Who??

PeterG
12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
eer...what is this thread about? And what is Psy? And what is Gfhm?

Brian Griffin
12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
eer...what is this thread about?

A Korean rapper making anti American rants and then making an apology, then me telling him to GFHM with his apology

BG

PeterG
12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
A Korean rapper ......? GFHM ....?

I'm still no wiser.

Oreb
12-08-2012, 06:30 PM
"Kill those fucking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives/Kill those fucking Yankees who ordered them to torture/Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully"

None of my business, but if he wrote that shit about Australians and then I learnt that my Prime Minister was going to attend a function with him... well, I can't imagine voting for that Prime Minister again.

meimjustalawnmower
12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
15 minutes goes by so quickly. You might get another 5 minutes, if you're lucky. MC Hammer is prolly tying the noose as we speak.

East New York
12-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I love Psy, and I'm not crazy about 'Murrica.

Klonk
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
If those are his words, I hope this cocksucker gets dry cleaned to death.

East New York
12-08-2012, 07:07 PM

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_22153224/gangnam-style-rapper-psy-apologizes-anti-us-protests

South Korean rapper and Internet sensation PSY is apologizing to Americans for participating in anti-U.S. protests several years ago.
Park Jae-sang, who performs as PSY, issued a statement Friday after reports surfaced that he had participated in concerts protesting the U.S. military presence in South Korea during the early stages of the Iraq war.

At a 2004 concert, the "Gangnam Style" rapper performs* a song with lyrics about killing "Yankees" who have been torturing Iraqi captives and their families "slowly and painfully." During a 2002 concert, he smashed a model of a U.S. tank on stage.

"While I'm grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I've learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I'm deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted," he wrote in the statement. "I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

The 34-year-old rapper says the protests were part of a "deeply emotional" reaction to the war and the death of two Korean school girls, who were killed when a U.S. military vehicle hit them as they walked alongside the road. He noted anti-war sentiment was high around the world at the time.
PSY attended college in the U.S. and says he understands the sacrifices U.S. military members have made to protect South Korea and other nations. He has recently performed in front of servicemen and women.

"And I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology," he wrote. "While it's important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

His participation in the protests was no secret in South Korea, where the U.S. has had a large military presence since the Korean War, but was not generally known in America until recent news reports.

*PSY did not write "Dear American," a song by the Korean band N.EX.T, but he does perform it. The song exhorts the listener to kill the Yankees who are torturing Iraqi captives, their superiors who ordered the torture and their families. At one point he raps: "Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully."

(see the rest of the link)

Klonk
12-08-2012, 07:12 PM
You bet your ass he's apologizing with all the money we've been throwing at him. Fuck this guy.

Oreb
12-08-2012, 07:19 PM
The expression of anti-US slogans is pretty common in Europe and Asia: it's a dumb crowd-pleaser for the hip set.

Similarly, the air-heads who indulge in it back-track like crazy the minute it strikes them that they may have pissed on a lucrative market.

The apology, like the original sentiment, is invariably trite and shallow.

Like I observed before, if the leader of my country then rewarded said Air Head by sharing a function with them, I'd feel particular contempt for that leader.

That's the real issue here IMO: not the spew of one more untalented hack.

Poisoned Youth
12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I've never understood why people will choose to be offended and express their outrage over the most ridiculous of things. Let's get some perspective. He's this season's viral star. A few months back we're all singing "Call Me Maybe". Who gives a fuck what he said nearly 10 years ago? If you don't like it, just don't support him. But what one "viral loser of the month" says 10 years ago is inconsequential compared to such truly offensive things that take place around the world on a daily basis.

This story is about as misdirected and overblown as the one with the radio pranksters and the nurse that committed suicide.

Like I observed before, if the leader of my country then rewarded said Air Head by sharing a function with them, I'd feel particular contempt for that leader.

That's the real issue here IMO: not the spew of one more untalented hack.

That's a bit much, don't you think?

I imagine he'll be asked not to play the function this weekend. But Obama is not 'sharing a function with him'. It's an event that occurs every year that the President attends. That's it.

I suppose we should check his iPod and erase anything with Bono on it. And God forbid if he has any rap. ;)

Poisoned Youth
12-08-2012, 07:38 PM
And like Psy, this thread's "15 minutes" will be expiring shortly. :lol

Brian Griffin
12-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey, it was fun while it lasted!

BG

meimjustalawnmower
12-08-2012, 07:56 PM
A few months back we're all singing "Call Me Maybe".

I don't even know what that is.

Scott Bails
12-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey, look! An ignorant rapper!

Don't see many of them!

ronmac
12-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Seriously? Big fucking deal. Last time I checked us "proud Americans" were pushing the same freedom of speech onto other countries. Now we're getting our panties all wadded up over someone actually exercising that same right? Seems pretty damned hypocritical.

I hope some of you are at least half as concerned about some of the shit US elected officials are saying. Assuming you're even aware of it.

Scott Bails
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Why the hell would we care about elected officials?

This is fucking Psy, dude! You know, the "Gangnam Style" guy! This guy's important!

East New York
12-09-2012, 12:25 AM
I suppose we should check his iPod and erase anything with Bono on it. And God forbid if he has any rap. ;)

YES. Loving you is easy cos you're beautiful! :up

Seriously? Big fucking deal. Last time I checked us "proud Americans" were pushing the same freedom of speech onto other countries. Now we're getting our panties all wadded up over someone actually exercising that same right? Seems pretty damned hypocritical.

I hope some of you are at least half as concerned about some of the shit US elected officials are saying. Assuming you're even aware of it.

Well said...that's the real deal.

sonic
12-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Apology = dollar signs publicity stunt.

A few months back we're all singing "Call Me Maybe".

Maybe you were. :lol

This story is about as misdirected and overblown as the one with the radio pranksters and the nurse that committed suicide.

That is damn scary. A symtom of the overtly PC world we live in?

I love Psy
Oh God, why??? :O

Brian Griffin
12-09-2012, 01:41 AM
If it wasn't for the Fox Newschannel spouting off on this ad nauseum 24/7, I'd have no idea who Psy was or that he'd apologized

BG

ronmac
12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
If it wasn't for the Fox Newschannel spouting off on this ad nauseum 24/7, I'd have no idea who Psy was or that he'd apologized

BG

Have they connected Psy to Bill Ayres yet? It's only a matter of time.

Brian Griffin
12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Have they connected Psy to Bill Ayres yet?

LOL - no, they are running the segment as I type actually

This no talent fuck should issue a further apology for his dancing!

BG

Klonk
12-09-2012, 10:16 AM
:lol Bye bye Psy. Time to make room for the next talentless Youtube sensation...

tom unbound
12-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Apology??

:yell It's not an apology until he sings it on Youtube.

scags
12-09-2012, 12:25 PM
If this is your biggest problem, I salute you!

ronmac
12-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Maybe it's me, but his apology seems genuinely contrite. I guess that's not enough for some until he genuflects to the shrine of American Exceptionalism.

Greg
12-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Well said...that's the real deal.

I'll second this.

Plasmatopia
12-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Maybe it's me, but his apology seems genuinely contrite. I guess that's not enough for some until he genuflects to the shrine of American Exceptionalism.

No, it's not just you. And I can only imagine what (or whom) that shrine looks like...

East New York
12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh God, why??? :O

Because it's fun, and funny, he's totally making fun of Gangnam District, and I have diverse taste in cultchah. :D

ronmac
12-09-2012, 06:11 PM
No, it's not just you. And I can only imagine what (or whom) that shrine looks like...

Something like this, I suppose.

Lou
12-09-2012, 06:20 PM

One of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Scott Bails
12-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Something like this, I suppose.

Much more offensive than anything Psy could have said.

Reginod
12-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Klonk sez:

Bye bye Psy. Time to make room for the next talentless Youtube sensation...

I'm countin' on sweet baby Sweet Brown!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7UgAprdpM

Klonk
12-09-2012, 10:48 PM
:lol and there it is

Scott Bails
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
:rofl:lol:rofl

Post of the week!

Poisoned Youth
12-09-2012, 11:40 PM
:lol

Jerjo
12-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Damn, now there's an earworm that is not going to go away. :rofl

sonic
12-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Because it's fun, and funny, he's totally making fun of Gangnam District, and I have diverse taste in cultchah. :D
Have you been to Korea and the Gangnam District?

Lino
12-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey, look! An ignorant rapper!

Don't see many of them!

Oh ya, like they got the patent on ignorance. :lol I'd argue that most rappers are ten times as politically and socially aware as the average white guys who hate them. lol besides, this guy is a "rapper"??? I don't think he has a shred of cred in the rap community.

Lino
12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
His apology seems sincere, but of course, he only felt the real need to make it when he got 10 years older (wiser) and realized there was money to be made in the USA. lol Still, he musta been pretty young 10 years ago, and most definately, anti-Iraq war sentiments were extremely high around the globe at that time.

As for the president...he attended a FUND-RAISER for a children's hospital. The fund raisers brought in "celebs" that they thought might get the people out to raise this money. There was no political statement to be made. Yet certain segments of society are again painting the president as HATING AMERICA because he shook the guy's hand. I got news for all those idiots: The president shakes 100 hands a day of criminals WAYYYYYYY more vile than this Korean twit. He shakes the hands of murderers, liars, wife-beaters, pedophiles, racists, racketeers...and that's just in one afternoon at congress. ;)

Klonk
12-10-2012, 04:25 PM
blah blah blah...did you see that hilarious video?

;)

Mr.A
12-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Apparently, those comments got people talking about Psy on PE of all places... imagine how many other forums on which he's being discussed like never before.

Promotion at its finest.

Kinda the bizzarro-universe version of Ted Nugent...! Wait a minute...

Rune Blackwings
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
honestly? i can't stand his music, so it does not matter what he says.

East New York
12-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Have you been to Korea and the Gangnam District?

Not yet, but my best friend has. She says the Gangnam District is definitely spoof-worthy. :-)

East New York
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Oh ya, like they got the patent on ignorance. :lol I'd argue that most rappers are ten times as politically and socially aware as the average white guys who hate them.

:lol I'm a fan of underground rap and hip-hop, and much of it deals with politics---more so than I've seen in classic rock, prog, or in other 'average white guy' music.

I've also noticed that a whole hell of a lot of the u/g rap and hh community (and those who aren't part of the u/g) enjoy listening to other genres of music besides their own.

Just sayin'.....

Scott Bails
12-10-2012, 08:27 PM
You don't see as much of the misogyny in prog, either. :roll

I know that there are many rappers/hip hop artists that are more high-brow than the stereotype, but the stereotype is there for a reason.

East New York
12-10-2012, 08:39 PM

:lol Oh, I get a lot of flak from many male prog fans for liking some of what's known as prog!

I know that there are many rappers/hip hop artists that are more high-brow than the stereotype, but the stereotype is there for a reason.

...I'm not quite sure what you mean; what exactly is the reason? In any case---whatever it may be---it's surely no excuse for people to despise the entire genre. :)

polmico
12-10-2012, 08:49 PM

Pretty much limited to Lake and Sinfield's lyrics on "Taste of My Love."

"Go down gently with your face to the east / The sun maybe rising but we haven't finished the beast."

All class there, guys. :)

sonic
12-11-2012, 01:14 AM
...I'm not quite sure what you mean; what exactly is the reason? In any case---whatever it may be---it's surely no excuse for people to despise the entire genre. :)
The reason is that the idiots stand out. When you're walking around the town how many hooligan prog fans do you see? None.
Just the other day I was in an electronics store when some hip hop moron in a backwards baseball cap comes in, slips a CD of his shitty music on a store stereo and starts blasting it to deafening, distorting levels while his hip hop friend starts doing a retard dance. :roll The stereotype is there because of the many visible fans who are idiot troublemakers or thugs.

Not to mention that well over 50% of raps are about some thug talking about how big his dick is and what violent or derogatory acts he wants to perform on his 'bitch'. Either that or the raps are so full of expletives you can't tell what the message was supposed to be.

Are there good, intelligent raps and rappers? Sure. But wading through the crap to find them is too little gain for too much effort for most music fans.

WHORG
12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
Are there good, intelligent raps and rappers? Sure. But wading through the crap to find them is too little gain for too much effort for most music fans.

You have summarized my feelings for progressive rock music in the past decade perfectly!!!

Lino
12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
blah blah blah...did you see that hilarious video?

;) fuckin brilliant!

Lino
12-11-2012, 09:18 AM
You have summarized my feelings for progressive rock music in the past decade perfectly!!!
:lol exactly

Lino
12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
The reason is that the idiots stand out. of course fortunately, we in the rock world have nothing to be ashamed of lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQW8eb1P3dk

notallwhowander
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
I just can't believe a rapper would talk a load of shit he can't back up. I mean, really...

Klonk
12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
:lol:lol could you imagine the damage done in that pit with giant golden dollar sign necklaces swingin' around?

WHORG
12-11-2012, 10:14 AM
:lol Right on Klonk !!!

Baribrotzer
12-11-2012, 12:13 PM

You have summarized my feelings for progressive rock music in the past decade perfectly!!!That's true of any kind of music, and lots of other things. Sturgeon's Law applies to prog, too. But some forget that.....

tom unbound
12-11-2012, 12:35 PM
:rofl:lolPost of the week!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgti9ucu60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgti9ucu60

I like her !!

East New York
12-11-2012, 02:08 PM
The reason is that the idiots stand out. When you're walking around the town how many hooligan prog fans do you see? None.

Depends on your definition of "hooligan", I suppose; I've witnessed some serious prog hooliganism (and general obnoxiousness) in my day, especially in larger cities.

And these are absolutely all your reasons? I'd just like to be sure I understand you completely.

Just the other day I was in an electronics store when some hip hop moron in a backwards baseball cap comes in, slips a CD of his shitty music on a store stereo and starts blasting it to deafening, distorting levels while his hip hop friend starts doing a retard dance. The stereotype is there because of the many visible fans who are idiot troublemakers or thugs.

...these actions constitute troublemaking and thuggery? I've seen Dream Theater fans (substitute unwashed clothes for the baseball cap; personally, I find poor hygiene MUCH more offensive than a backwards baseball cap) do the same thing in the parking lot at Universal.

That's true of any kind of music, and lots of other things. Sturgeon's Law applies to prog, too. But some forget that.....

Baribrotzer, that's well said. I'll add that the elephant in the room is just about ready to explode out of the house.

Chain
12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Rap?

"Ain't nobody got time for dat"

East New York
12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
of course fortunately, we in the rock world have nothing to be ashamed of lol.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-original-cover.jpg

http://www.ccbanana.com/sludge/ms.images/aidskills.jpg

Scott Bails
12-11-2012, 03:53 PM
No one is really arguing that metal guys aren't ignorant, too. ;)

Lino
12-11-2012, 04:00 PM
heheheh, ya when people have a "comfort level" with something, they tend to totally overlook things. When people don't have that comfort level, they tend to overstate the negatives. Like i said many times on this forum...most of us grew up listening to music that told us to rebel against the man, do mind expanding drugs, drop out of school, hate your parents, hate the "pigs", worship the devil...but we were cool with all that. But now, hey, call a woman a bitch or ho and we become very concerned with mysogeny and lyrics in general. :lol It's called GENERATION GAP and it's as old as the hills.
A VAST majority of the kids that listen to those lyrics are very capable of understanding that there is music/art...and there is real life.

Lino
12-11-2012, 04:04 PM
When you're walking around the town how many hooligan prog fans do you see? None.

I went to Exhibition Stadium in Toronto to see Peter Gabriel's very first solo tour. The back up band was Nick Gilder. The crowd goty seriously ugly when Gilder's band started playing. After all, how could an audience with such exceptional taste in music, be subjected to the crappy power pop that is Nick Gilder??? The boos got louder. The stage was being pelted with garbage. It got so bad, Nick and his band had to estage left after 2-3 songs. :D

Klonk
12-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Prog fans don't have the balls to pop caps in anyone's asses.

East New York
12-11-2012, 04:16 PM
No one is really arguing that metal guys aren't ignorant, too. ;)

Those clowns aren't really metal. ;)

Lino
12-11-2012, 04:45 PM

You've obviously never met suppersready101. ;)

notallwhowander
12-11-2012, 08:38 PM

No we align our chakras, speak from a place of inner strength, and resolve the situation non-violently.

Except for suppersready101, he'll pop a cap in your ass.

Gravedigger
12-11-2012, 09:13 PM
It's called GENERATION GAP and it's as old as the hills.

You kids get off my lawn!!

meimjustalawnmower
12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
The back up band was Nick Gilder. The crowd goty seriously ugly when Gilder's band started playing. After all, how could an audience with such exceptional taste in music, be subjected to the crappy power pop that is Nick Gilder??? The boos got louder. The stage was being pelted with garbage. It got so bad, Nick and his band had to estage left after 2-3 songs. :D

I once saw Nick Gilder open for Styx back in the day. No problems there, as you might imagine. ;)

Rune Blackwings
12-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Those clowns aren't really metal. ;)

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/assets_c/2012/10/WIDOW%20-%20Life's%20Blood%20-%20Artwork-thumb-500x496.jpg

sonic
12-13-2012, 09:31 AM
...these actions constitute troublemaking and thuggery? I've seen Dream Theater fans (substitute unwashed clothes for the baseball cap; personally, I find poor hygiene MUCH more offensive than a backwards baseball cap) do the same thing in the parking lot at Universal.

I went to Exhibition Stadium in Toronto to see Peter Gabriel's very first solo tour. The back up band was Nick Gilder. The crowd goty seriously ugly when Gilder's band started playing. After all, how could an audience with such exceptional taste in music, be subjected to the crappy power pop that is Nick Gilder??? The boos got louder. The stage was being pelted with garbage. It got so bad, Nick and his band had to estage left after 2-3 songs. :D
Well, being in Japan things are obviously quite different. From what you've told me there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in fan quality in the West. Japanese are generally very well behaved ... even the Yakuza. The exception being the occasional hip hop hooligan.

As for rap's image, it's pretty much been defined for the general public by '90s gansta rap, which is sexist and violent. You can't blame people for hating rap because of that.

MudShark22
12-13-2012, 10:26 AM
As for rap's image, it's pretty much been defined for the general public by '90s gansta rap, which is sexist and violent. You can't blame people for hating rap because of that.

Many things in this world are defined by their extremes unfortunately. Music, like politics, is not immune to that.
NWA's "Straight Outta...." was 1988-1989 and its extreme lyrical content overshadowed all other rap styles to the detriment of the genre overall IMO. Rap albums such as De La Soul's "Three Feet...." and A Tribe Called Quest's "People's Instinctive...." were released in the same time frame, and while not 'overlooked' per se, what is gonna sell ad dollars on news programs: Tribe's "Bonnita Applebum" or NWA's "Fuck Tha Police".

IMO, NWA has 'aged' badly and is comical in a "Let's play Scarface drinking games!" way (e.g. drink every time Eazy-E says fuck).

Scott Bails
12-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Many things in this world are defined by their extremes unfortunately. Music, like politics, is not immune to that.
NWA's "Straight Outta...." was 1988-1989 and its extreme lyrical content overshadowed all other rap styles to the detriment of the genre overall IMO. .

I'll go along with this.

sonic
12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
NWA's "Straight Outta...." was 1988-1989 and its extreme lyrical content overshadowed all other rap styles to the detriment of the genre overall IMO. Rap albums such as De La Soul's "Three Feet...." and A Tribe Called Quest's "People's Instinctive...." were released in the same time frame.
I actually listened to and enjoyed rap in that period. Cross over groups like the Beastie Boys and Run–D.M.C. were great. But the whole gansta thing got tiring in a hurry. I have no idea if there are great groups like the above out there now, but I've long since tired of rapping in general unless it's humorous, like Weird Al or Greatest Rap Battles...

Lino
12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I know that it pisses me off when I go to see a good heavy metal band or even a great thrashing punk band (especially in a club), that I can't get anywhere near the stage for fear of bodies flying at me. Several times, I've stood on the periphery, but still had guys bouncing off me. I've observed these scenes closely...it ain't just fuckin' around jostling. There's some very real physicality going on, and for the life of me, i don't know how more people don't get seriously hurt. I also don't quite understand the need that some people feel to experience pain and hurt during a show. People obviously do...they purposely throw themselves in to the melee with wreckless abandon. BUT...it's part of the scene. It's not going to stop me from going to see a band that I like. It comes with the territory. Same shit for hip hip...there ARE idiots, but it comes with the territory, it won't stop me from listening to or going to see the great artists in the genre.

sonic
12-13-2012, 11:37 AM
hip hip...
Is that a sub genre or something new? ;)

Jefferson James
12-13-2012, 01:02 PM
NWA's "Straight Outta...." was 1988-1989 and its extreme lyrical content overshadowed all other rap styles to the detriment of the genre overall IMO.

Which is a damned shame 'cause when NWA were breaking out locally, the stuff they were talking about was very real, at least to anyone living here in Los Angeles. I've never hung out in Compton -- yo! -- but no one in LA could escape the horror of the King beating or the hundreds of other incidents involving the LAPD and people of lesser financial means (no matter what race). NWA predicted the LA riots; what they were saying had meaning, it was truthful, it was real to a whole lot of people.

It's too bad the genre quickly got co-opted by the big labels by signing a bunch of misogynistic, socially clueless blowhards.

It's like KRS-One said: after the LA riots, "gansta rap" blew up commercially; so who won?

It's called GENERATION GAP and it's as old as the hills. A VAST majority of the kids that listen to those lyrics are very capable of understanding that there is music/art...and there is real life.

Right on. Kids are supposed to rebel against prior generations, their parents are supposed to hate the music their kids listen to, kids are born to be misunderstood. It's called carving out your own identity.

We just did it better in the '70s 'cause we had Moogs. :p

sonic
12-13-2012, 01:36 PM
We just did it better in the '70s 'cause we had Moogs. :p
Moogs? That's probably the one rock instrument your parents generation didn't have a problem with.

MudShark22
12-13-2012, 01:54 PM
KMan! I have no doubt of the 'real' behind NWAs lyrics; but when the imagery overshadows the actual message, the image becomes the message and that is all the media (still believing it was 'morning in america') focused on.

Lino
12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Is that a sub genre or something new? ;)

hahahaha...hip hop for extreme hipsters like myself. :D

Scratch
12-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Klonk sez:

I'm countin' on sweet baby Sweet Brown!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7UgAprdpM

I was gonna watch that video, but I don't have time for that.

Jefferson James
12-13-2012, 02:17 PM
KMan! I have no doubt of the 'real' behind NWAs lyrics; but when the imagery overshadows the actual message, the image becomes the message and that is all the media (still believing it was 'morning in america') focused on.

Yep, that's exactly what happened. NWA has success speaking truth from the streets in language kids understood, suits saw the kids snapping up albums, and next thing you know, "gangsta rap" as a genre is created and explodes world-wide.

No good deed goes unpunished. :)

Moogs? That's probably the one rock instrument your parents generation didn't have a problem with.

My parents didn't really have a problem with any of the music me, my sisters, or my friends listened to; they are so non-musical it's actually funny.

East New York
12-13-2012, 11:52 PM

I can blame people for not taking the time to educate themselves about it in order to learn that rap is not ALL gangsta...especially if they're then going to diss the entire genre without hearing the rest of what it has to offer. Surely that's fair.

Vic2012
12-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't get the obsession with this guy. What is he doing that is so funny, or original? I thought that "Hung" guy (the dorky Asian guy on American Idol) cornered the market on nerdy, Asian guys who act like dorks on stage several years ago. I mean, this guy just won't go away (because the media is so intoxicated with him).

notallwhowander
12-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Flavor of the month.

Vic2012
12-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah, he's the latest "pop sensation." I really wish some new sensation what just wash this guy away and go back to his obscure life in Korea.

Baribrotzer
12-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I don't get the obsession with this guy. What is he doing that is so funny, or original? I thought that "Hung" guy (the dorky Asian guy on American Idol) cornered the market on nerdy, Asian guys who act like dorks on stage several years ago. I mean, this guy just won't go away (because the media is so intoxicated with him).It's a little different. The whole joke with William Hung was that he was hopelessly inept, untalented, and apparently unaware of it. Psy (Park Jae-sang), however, actually has musical talent. Maybe not a whole lot, by prog standards, but some. I believe that unlike most rappers, he wrote the whole "Gangnam Style" song, came up with the musical backing to it, and created the stupid "horsey-dance" - and being able to write a big hit, even a silly novelty hit, is not something everybody can do. It takes ability as well as a weird sort of luck.

sonic
12-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I believe that unlike most rappers, he wrote the whole "Gangnam Style" song, came up with the musical backing to it, and created the stupid "horsey-dance" - and being able to write a big hit, even a silly novelty hit, is not something everybody can do. It takes ability as well as a weird sort of luck.
Yeap. He doesn't deserve all the vitriol really. But that comes with the territory of having a viral hit. Over saturation is certainly annoying (though I actually never hear it in Japan) but it isn't anywhere near the bottom of the heap of novelty songs. If I had to choose, I would choose this over There's a Hole in My Bucket or The Lion Sleeps Tonight anyday.

Chain
12-15-2012, 06:00 PM
He is no Sweet Brown though

tom unbound
12-15-2012, 10:37 PM
He is no Sweet Brown though :rofl

Hey ! I like her !

Camelogue
12-16-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm still thinking of calling......maybe.

Reginod
12-16-2012, 11:40 AM
He is no Sweet Brown though

Fac'trufe, dat. :cool

MudShark22
12-17-2012, 05:56 PM
I can blame people for not taking the time to educate themselves about it in order to learn that rap is not ALL gangsta...especially if they're then going to diss the entire genre without hearing the rest of what it has to offer. Surely that's fair.

See RRHOF thread's more recent posts for a prime example of this exact issue.

firth5th
12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I think we are on the far side of minute 14 of this guy's 15 minutes of fame.

East New York
12-17-2012, 06:18 PM
See RRHOF thread's more recent posts for a prime example of this exact issue.

Already did.

I wonder how some of these posters feel about performing cunnilingus?

MudShark22
12-17-2012, 07:04 PM
LOL

Scott Bails
12-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Already did.

I wonder how some of these posters feel about performing cunnilingus?

I like it more than gangsta rap. ;)

Baribrotzer
12-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Already did.

I wonder how some of these posters feel about performing cunnilingus?It's an excellent activity, for it allows a man to say,
"Oh, baby, I love you,
I lovff you,
I lovff yuff,
Uff luff yuff,
Umph mumph yumph....."

But I don't quite see the connection.

East New York
12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
It's an excellent activity, for it allows a man to say,
"Oh, baby, I love you,
I lovff you,
I lovff yuff,
Uff luff yuff,
Umph mumph yumph....."

But I don't quite see the connection.

:lol

It was a subtle directive to---as we say back home in Brooklyn---go fuckin' eat me.

Iszil
01-05-2013, 01:14 AM
I fucking hate chauvinism.

Get over it, damn!

PS: I love the song, BTW... I mean Gangnam Style.

Progbear
01-05-2013, 02:45 AM
I think we are on the far side of minute 14 of this guy's 15 minutes of fame.

God, I hope so! It’s 2013, I don’t want to talk about this talentless clown anymore!

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Reception”-Paul McCartney/Back to the Egg

Shadow
01-07-2013, 05:00 AM
"Kill those fucking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives/Kill those fucking Yankees who ordered them to torture/Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully"

And I thought they only bought all the best players just to win the World Series.

PeterG
01-07-2013, 07:57 AM
I get the distinct impression, reading this thread, that sometihng has passed me by or that I have misseed something that was worth missing....I still have no idea what a psy is.

moecurlythanu
01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I still have no idea what a psy is.

It's shorthand for "psychotic dweeb."

Progbear
01-07-2013, 04:31 PM
I get the distinct impression, reading this thread, that sometihng has passed me by or that I have misseed something that was worth missing....I still have no idea what a psy is.

Imbecilic internet fad that somehow weaseled its way onto the Billboard pop charts. You missed nothing.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Die Sinfonie”-Grobschnitt

Baribrotzer
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I get the distinct impression, reading this thread, that sometihng has passed me by or that I have misseed something that was worth missing....I still have no idea what a psy is.Without the editorializing: Psy: stage name of a Korean rapper named Park Jae-sang, who had an enormous novelty hit in late 2012 called "Gagnam Style".

Like many novelty hits, it's stupid but undeniably catchy. It also comes complete with an even sillier dance move, and is one of the rare US hits in a foreign language.

scags
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
lots of fun. Beats watching videos of 65 year old, fat guys, playing 35 year old songs.

Scott Bails
01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
lots of fun. Beats watching videos of 65 year old, fat guys, playing 35 year old songs.

Speak for yourself.

sonic
01-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Instead you get to watch a 35 year old fat guy playing 65 day old tunes. Not much of a choice is it? :lol

3LockBox
01-15-2013, 07:47 PM

I had to go look it up on YouTube myself. Actually, I've seen this dude in passing without realizing it, but had chalked him up as possibly one of those hopelessly deluded American Idol audition flameouts who suck so bad they become virally famous for sucking. I could only manage to look upon this guy's video for maybe a minute before I hit the 'back' button and that's only because my computer is slow. I've seen all I need to - done.

3LockBox
01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Imbecilic internet fad that somehow weaseled its way onto the Billboard pop charts. You missed nothing.

unintentional comedy is the best