PDA

View Full Version : Home Recording Thread- Gear/Tips/Troubleshooting

Sean
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Tell us about your setup here and the hell you went through to get it all the way you wanted. :up

Mr. Grizzly Bear
11-07-2012, 10:58 AM
ALL computer recording setups are hell to set up at first, BUT once past that first stage, it's very worth it for the editing capabilities and flexibility a self-contained DAW just can't give you.

My setup is CUBASE software on a PC with a Yamaha Audiogram 6 USB interface, 2 mono channels plus 2 stereo channels, M-Audio BX-5 monitors (self powered 75W per side). does me just fine

spknoevl
11-08-2012, 03:27 PM
PC running Sonar Producer 8, Guitar Rig 4, Amplitude 3, assorted plugins, a dozen softsynths including the entire NI Kontakt package, EMU Proteus, Cakewalk Dimension, IK Samplitude, Miroslav Symponik, EMU 0404 audio interface, Presonus Tube Pre, Alesis Monitor One reference speakers.

Mr.A
11-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Recently upgraded to Sonar X2 Producer.

Currently struggling with my MP3 encoder (problem existed prior to upgrade). It used to work fine, but exporting audio now results in an MP3 of the right size and length, but no audio - only clicks. Any troubleshooting advice out there...?

Guitarplyrjvb
11-09-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm also a Cakewalk SONAR 3 Producer user. I'm thinking about upgrading but I'd have to get a whole new computer rig to take advantage of it. My audio interface is an Edirol U-A5. I don't know if they're any better these days, but I suspect they are!

Rarebird
11-09-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty happy with my Korg D1200mkII.
I've never been able to work with the USB-connection, but I have my way to work around that. Never use the multi-track functionality because synchronising with midi isn't the best thing to do. Midi-clock isn't really that stable as outputsignal, which I can see if I use it on my Nord G2 Engine.
I'm not really in computer recording, because I use the computer for all playing.

Wilton Said...
11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm pretty happy with my Korg D1200mkII.
Wow, it's great to know that I'm not the only one who uses this although I've got the Korg D1600 mkii. I've used it for 3 recordings and have never had a problem with it. The sound quality is pretty good, it's simple to use and has some decent on board effects. (I think the guitar amp simulations suck however, they're too grainy sounding). It says you can master with it but I prefer to Master using a Computer based program like protools.

Wilton

N_Singh
11-11-2012, 09:45 PM
2007 Mac Pro (c'mon Apple, we're still waiting for the new one to arrive, damn it..!)
Senheiser 421 and SM57 Mics
Apogee Duet and (name of company forgotten) Preamp
Logic Studio Pro (Audio Units include M-Tron, B4, and Moog, as well as about 20 GB of Kirk Hunter Strings)
MIDI Controller

Kim Olesen
11-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Logic user since version 1,1. As logic users will know the stock plugins are good. I got the waves ssl collection and cla compressorsmwhich is the ultimate combo. Omnisphere plus a fully multisampled roland jv 1080 which i did myself. Add addictive drums and a lot of other stuff but i could do well with just this.

(Oh and all my guitars etc...)

Rarebird
11-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Wow, it's great to know that I'm not the only one who uses this although I've got the Korg D1600 mkii. I've used it for 3 recordings and have never had a problem with it. The sound quality is pretty good, it's simple to use and has some decent on board effects. (I think the guitar amp simulations suck however, they're too grainy sounding). It says you can master with it but I prefer to Master using a Computer based program like protools.

Wilton
Alas without a real possiblity to synchronise it with my computer, I can't really used the effects. In a way it would be better to have a mixer and recorder combined.

Wilton Said...
11-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Alas without a real possiblity to synchronise it with my computer, I can't really used the effects. In a way it would be better to have a mixer and recorder combined.
I'm a bit confused, isn't that what the Korg D1200mkII a stand alone recording studio in a box with all the effects built in? That's what it seems like reading up on it. My Korg 1600 is.

Wilton

Rarebird
11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Well, yes it is, but one can only record on 4 tracks at a time, so it's a bit limited when one works just with the computer as musician, like I do.

Wilton Said...
11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Well, yes it is, but one can only record on 4 tracks at a time, so it's a bit limited when one works just with the computer as musician, like I do.
Yeah that can be limited.

The 16 track version can do 8 trks at a time, but only 4 are XLR input, the other are 1/4 inch. That hasn't been a problem as my recordings have been over dubbed.
I use 4 mics on the drums, snare, kick, two overheard, all into XLR while the rest of the band plays direct for guide into the 1/4 inch. Keys, vox, bass and gtr.
When it comes to record the real tracks for the keys, vox, bass and gtr, they're done separately through XLR inputs.

Over all I think the sound quality is pretty good. Perhaps not as clear as a computer based system, but I haven't heard or read anything negative about the production so all is good. However, my next set up will be computer based.

Wilton

Rarebird
11-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Yeah that can be limited.

The 16 track version can do 8 trks at a time, but only 4 are XLR input, the other are 1/4 inch. That hasn't been a problem as my recordings have been over dubbed.
I use 4 mics on the drums, snare, kick, two overheard, all into XLR while the rest of the band plays direct for guide into the 1/4 inch. Keys, vox, bass and gtr.
When it comes to record the real tracks for the keys, vox, bass and gtr, they're done separately through XLR inputs.

Over all I think the sound quality is pretty good. Perhaps not as clear as a computer based system, but I haven't heard or read anything negative about the production so all is good. However, my next set up will be computer based.

Wilton

I'm not sure I will ever go to computer based, since it would mean having 2 computers, one to play the music, one to record it. I'm quite happy with my Korg, though I would love to be able to synchronise it with my computer, so I would be able to record some parts seperatly.

sonic
11-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I haven't completed anything in years, but previously I used a Yamaha AW1600, which I still have. I also have Logic Express, but haven't completed anything on it yet...just scraps and ideas.
For improvised looping I've been using the boss RC50 linked to a DD20 Delay pedal and Korg AX3000 multi-effects (guitar).

eporter66
11-14-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm on a PC and using Reaper based on suggestions from a post I put out on PE a year or so ago. It's easy to use, and the more I play around with it the more I like it. I am just recording for fun, when the inspiration hits, and with Reaper (probably others as well) it is quick to fire up and lay down tracks. I am really enjoying it, just wish I had more time to spend writing and recording.

I use the M-Audio Fast track pro and it has served me well. I am not looking to record Abbey Road, just want to get my ideas down, record multiple tracks and get a decent demo sounding recording.

The computer I am using is quite old, so I am looking to get a new desktop. I use a number of free vst's that do the job, again, I am not looking to put out a CD, just record my ideas. I honestly think the computer recording is amazing when you think about all we used to do on those little 4 track machines and bouncing ect....

I love everything about computer recording. It does get frustrating when you have issues, but I have been able to overcome most anything I've come across

markowitz
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
ALL computer recording setups are hell to set up at first, BUT once past that first stage, it's very worth it for the editing capabilities and flexibility a self-contained DAW just can't give you.

My setup is CUBASE software on a PC with a Yamaha Audiogram 6 USB interface, 2 mono channels plus 2 stereo channels, M-Audio BX-5 monitors (self powered 75W per side). does me just fine

I have used a BR1600 to record over 25 songs, and am tempted to switch, but the inertia is so great since I have become comfortable (finally) with this system, but I'm tempted to finally take the plunge. Maybe still record with the BR1600 then edit on computer.....

Jefferson James
11-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I've been using Roland VS-880's since 1995. For my purposes they're absolutely fine, and at this point I can use them in my sleep. The editing is extremely limited, and the on-board effects are odd and outdated, but I've managed to "officially" release a bunch of songs and one actual album using this set-up. I have two synched-up for 16 glorious tracks if needed -- and I rarely need more.

I've made plenty of recordings using computer-based recording systems with bands I've been in, and I drool at the editing capabilities, the plug-ins, all of it. On the other hand, the stone-age VS-880's keep me honest ie. I have to actually *play* everything by hand, myself. I can do loops and cut-n-pastes but compared to computer-based systems where you can change notes, etc., at the very least I have a sense of "realness" using this set-up.

It can be fun to record stuff that's physically impossible play but I kind of got over that when I had my Tascam Porta-1 and recorded guitar solos on the slowest tape speed, then played them back on the fastest tape speed: instant Yngwie! However, I never felt good about that kind of trickery and to this day when any of my bands make recordings, I always try to do it old-school no matter what recording platform we're using. Rehearsing and trying to get good, energetic performances from the get-go sure beats the "fix it later" approach.

11-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Rehearsing and trying to get good, energetic performances from the get-go sure beats the "fix it later" approach.

Absolutely. The only thing I'll comp are vocals.

Plasmatopia
11-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Recently upgraded to Sonar X2 Producer.

Currently struggling with my MP3 encoder (problem existed prior to upgrade). It used to work fine, but exporting audio now results in an MP3 of the right size and length, but no audio - only clicks. Any troubleshooting advice out there...?

You could just output as WAV and then use a standalone converter as a workaround, but I realize it's an annoying extra step. I haven't bothered trying to set up LAME with X1 yet. Have you tried the Sonar forums? I haven't spent any time there in a couple of years now, but I found those forums quite valuable at the time.

I just upgraded to Sonar X1 Studio a couple months ago (they offered a nice deal when X2 was coming out). So far I like the simplified/streamlined interface compared to Sonar 7. But I only dabble with recording once in a while.

I have an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra that I'm borrowing indefinitely from a friend. It works great. And this after I swore I'd never use another M-Audio product (I've had a lot of problems with my monitors - M-Audio BX-8s). :) Before this I had an Edirol FA-101 for years which caused me nothing but frustration. I made sure to buy the proper Firewire card with the TI chipset but never got the results I wanted. MIDI timing/jitter was all out of whack, adjusting for audio latency seemed like a moving target (after you've adjusted both audio latency and MIDI latency, where is "1" exactly?)...I just wanted to make some music, not have my head explode.

I was given an iMac with a busted screen. Figured out how to hook up an external monitor...voila!...free iMac! Turns out it had Logic already installed. Logic just worked immediately with the FA-101 - no setup issues, no tweaking, no problems. Until one day last spring when the FA-101 died (bad capacitors...just like my BX8s...). Now the Fast Track Ultra (USB) works great with both the iMac and PC. For some reason I like the Sonar experience better than the Logic one now. But they're both great.

Hoping to record a band demo at my house over the next couple of months. Planning to fiddle around with getting a good drum sound with 3 mics first, bring the other guys in to bang out rough tracks as a group, then (if we ever find a singer) add vocals (we're just doing covers). Somewhat limited by only being able to record 6 tracks at once. We could always go back and do 6 tracks of drums, but not sure it's worth it for this project.

Lately I have an old Behringer Eurodesk MX2442A that use which is really handy for routing stuff to monitors, headphone amps, etc. I have a 50 ft snake running through the basement ceiling so I can have drums at the other end of the basement. The Behringer is nice and quiet, but has a few bad channels. Not much of note in the microphone department. I have a set of the Shure PG drum mics, a 57, a Sennheiser E609, and a Rode NT1-A. My biggest problem (I think, I'm a complete novice) is not having a really nice mic preamp to warm things up.

But unless I have a major epiphany, a sudden surge in both creativity and talent, or simply win the lottery, I can't justify more equipment...

Guitarplyrjvb
11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
I've been using Roland VS-880's since 1995.

Yeah, I've got one of these, too! I only use it now for the effects board or ripping vinyl records. I got the "expanded" version when that upgrade was available. It's a very sturdy unit considering that I spilled a full cup of coffee on it! After turning it upside down and draining it, it works the same as ever!

The worst part about this thing was the song backup process. Very, very tedious!

Yodelgoat
11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Got Sonar 8.5 been using Sonar since its early days. have almost all aspects of home recording down pretty well, but the virtual synths are occasional headaches. for years Ive been using a Proteus 1000 rack mount external module through MIDI, but now I'm trying to go all virtual - the sounds are better with the internal synths. By the way I'm looking for a reliable virual synth for a 'tron. any suggestions would be appreciated. I compose mostly with guitars bass and vocals, and the keys are usually simple. Organ, Piano, Epiano, Strings, pads, Occasional leads. Could really use a mellotron. Not that anyone else will ever hear the music, but its a better pastime than playing video games or golfing.

Yodelgoat
11-18-2012, 02:39 PM
PC running Sonar Producer 8, EMU Proteus, .

So, how does the Proteus sound? iS this the virtual version of the Proteus 1000?

trurl
11-18-2012, 02:44 PM
By the way I'm looking for a reliable virual synth for a 'tron. any suggestions would be appreciated. I compose mostly with guitars bass and vocals, and the keys are usually simple. Organ, Piano, Epiano, Strings, pads, Occasional leads. Could really use a mellotron.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTronPro/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=guitars&utm_term=gforce_m-tron&adpos&gclid=COygncyj2bMCFVCd4AodlW8ARw

:)

Plasmatopia
11-18-2012, 03:52 PM
For mellotron I use something called Mellotronix, which is a soundset for Wusik EVE:

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/dash_signature_releases_mellotronix_soundset_for_e ve_3453

They had a group buy deal where I got both (and a lot more) for about $40. The 'trons sound fantastic.

spknoevl
11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
You can download a fully functional demo version of Samplitude from the IK Media site. It comes with half a gig of samples including about a half dozen mellotron samples.

Yodelgoat
11-27-2012, 05:32 AM
I wound upi just going back to the External Proteus module for the Tron sound. External MIDI devices can sound a little cheesy, but so can the VST based ones. Ive bought the Korg M1 series, and some sounds are OK. but its just as easy to use the external device and I also put it through a BBE maximizer and it sounds decent (I note that poor quality is hardly ever the instruments fault - its usually the Musician)

I'm back to recording stuff that I like. and it will be fun to finally finish something, though I have no idea what to do with it. I always felt like if you create something, you should put it somewhere where people can enjoy it. But I have no desire to ever hype music again. Waiste of time, and its not really all that unique or good, so I guess it'll just go in a drawer somewhere. Maybe soundcloud? Perhaps just on my own music player. It seems like the process of creating music is more enjoyable than ever being done with it.

Sorry, I'm monologging, but I've decided to stay with the old school and give myself a break from the ever increasing learning curve. I have no desire to upgrade to SONAR X1 or X2 - what new features do they have that are so stupendous that its worth $200? - No, really, I'd like to know if its really that much better.

sonic
11-27-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm back to recording stuff that I like. and it will be fun to finally finish something, though I have no idea what to do with it. I always felt like if you create something, you should put it somewhere where people can enjoy it. But I have no desire to ever hype music again. Waiste of time, and its not really all that unique or good, so I guess it'll just go in a drawer somewhere. Maybe soundcloud? Perhaps just on my own music player. It seems like the process of creating music is more enjoyable than ever being done with it.
Put it up on Bandcamp as a free download. Progarchives has a thread running on Bandcamp prog. Someone may enjoy it...
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69197&PID=4667744#4667744

trurl
11-27-2012, 03:43 PM
I have no desire to upgrade to SONAR X1 or X2 - what new features do they have that are so stupendous that its worth $200? - No, really, I'd like to know if its really that much better.

I hate X1. The whole workflow is so different I just can't deal with it. All the hotkeys are different. It is more efficient but I'm too old for change *lol*

spknoevl
11-28-2012, 03:50 PM
I hate X1. The whole workflow is so different I just can't deal with it. All the hotkeys are different. It is more efficient but I'm too old for change *lol*

Yeah, I'm still working with Sonar 7 and haven't exhausted it's capabilities yet. I haven't found anything lacking in 7 that X1 can take care of.

Yodelgoat
11-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm having a wierd issue with SONAR8.5 - it appears that I cant access MIDI events - such as the pitch or mod wheels. One is always there by default, wich is Velocity. But in SONAR 3.5 I could "draw" the mod wheel events for controlling things like Leslie speed. It will not let me edit anything except velocity. It looks like any references to MIDI effects or non-note events are greyed out, like Ive got them switched off, but I dont (as far as I know) 3.5 was a snap, this is a POS.

If they changed up alot of the ways to navigate in X1 and X2, I have no interest in upgrading. I just dont need the learning curve. Thanks for the heads up.

trurl
11-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm having a wierd issue with SONAR8.5 - it appears that I cant access MIDI events - such as the pitch or mod wheels. One is always there by default, wich is Velocity. But in SONAR 3.5 I could "draw" the mod wheel events for controlling things like Leslie speed. It will not let me edit anything except velocity. It looks like any references to MIDI effects or non-note events are greyed out, like Ive got them switched off, but I dont (as far as I know) 3.5 was a snap, this is a POS.

That is the one HUGE issue I have with 8.5- there has to be a way to change that but I haven't found it yet. I love 8.5 apart from that. I can edit individual controller events but I don't know how to draw a curve.

Robbue
12-15-2012, 09:37 AM
If none of you are aware of these really great FREE plugins you should check em out. http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins/

Very high quality and they dont suck up all your CPU power.

trurl
12-15-2012, 10:11 AM
The Voxengo Tape Simulator is pretty useful (though also very dangerous :D). Good stuff.

everythingtoexcess
12-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Heartwarming Do-it-yourself story:
Seven or eight years ago I bought an old (80's?) Tascam 24 channel, 8 buss board from a guy who needed money to get divorced. I paid $400 for the board and two audio snakes. Everything was mint. Then about a year ago, the board konked out. I was dreading a) the cost of replacing it and b) the cost of getting it repaired and the likelihood that it would still not work (local repair guys SUCK). With nothing to lose, I flipped it over (carefully) on the floor and took it apart. Wow..there is a lot of stuff in there. I poked around for about a half-hour and found that the contact strip for the main output had come loose and was just hanging there. I had it tightened back down are reassembled and working perfectly in ten minutes. I wonder what that would have cost me at a repair place?

trurl
12-22-2012, 11:11 PM
An honest place? Maybe $80? A scumbag place- god knows *lol* Way to go! It never hurts to take something apart and put it back together- as long as you *know* you can get it back together. It solves a surprising amount of problems.

everythingtoexcess
12-22-2012, 11:18 PM
It never hurts to take something apart and put it back together- as long as you *know* you can get it back together. It solves a surprising amount of problems.

that's how I've been keeping my ancient Morely Power Wah going for years. I don't even do anything when I'm in there. It stops working, so I take it apart, poke around and put it back together. Works like a champ for another couple years.

everythingtoexcess
12-28-2012, 04:22 PM
My birthday is coming up. The wife asked me what I want. I want new studio monitors. I've been using Behringers for years and they're honestly not bad for what they cost, but it's time to upgrade...SLIGHTLY. So...what powered monitors am I getting? They have to be active and I'd like to stay around $600 for the pair. (my wife loves to buy me expensive stuff, but I've seen our checking account....)
recommendations?

trurl
12-28-2012, 07:03 PM
I'd have to check on the current prices but I really like the KRK Rokit series. In fact I like them more than the more expensive KRK monitors. I think you could look at the Rokit 8s for that price and maybe even a subwoofer...

everythingtoexcess
12-28-2012, 09:15 PM
I was looking at those tonight. They look spiffy, for sure. I'll have to get myself to a store and give them a listen. I've got a decent sub already, but hey...more is better, right?

Yodelgoat
12-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I have always really liked Mackies, but have never found any of them at a price where I could indulge. I use the KRK (expensive ones, not the Rockits) for near field. I dont really have muc use for larger studio monitors. I one had 20/20s but they were a little too mellow for my ears at the time. I would push the sounds and things would be just get too harsh. Of course, after 10 years, my ears have changed, and they would probably work better as room monitors - with a sub. Still Cant afford mackies though.

On the Sonar Issue - Am I to understand that Sonar 8.5 simply has no way to edit MIDI events? What a frackin joke!

trurl
12-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I have always really liked Mackies, but have never found any of them at a price where I could indulge. I use the KRK (expensive ones, not the Rockits) for near field. I dont really have muc use for larger studio monitors. I one had 20/20s but they were a little too mellow for my ears at the time. I would push the sounds and things would be just get too harsh. Of course, after 10 years, my ears have changed, and they would probably work better as room monitors - with a sub. Still Cant afford mackies though.
I like the Mackie HR824s too. Those and the KRKs are the only lower end monitors I really considered for less $$ than a good set of JBLs or Genelecs. I do prefer the Rokits to the V8s though. Oddly. BTW I wound up with a set of JBL LSR 4328s. Oh, almost forgot- Dynaudio makes some monitors that are well worth a look.

On the Sonar Issue - Am I to understand that Sonar 8.5 simply has no way to edit MIDI events? What a frackin joke!Oh you can edit MIDI events all kind of ways. The issue is that the function to draw in a line of events with the mouse seems to be gone though. You can click them in 1 by 1 but drawing a curve- I haven't figured out how. But you can edit existing events easily.

everythingtoexcess
12-29-2012, 12:28 AM
I always love Mackie stuff. The first thing I did when I started looking was to decide which Mackies I wanted...and then decide I couldn't afford them. Maybe I should just wait and save up. I don't really have any projects going right now anyway.

Mikhael
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
We have a set of Mackie HR824s in the studio, but we can't use them for mixdown. That @#$% passive woofer in the back absolutely fools you when mixing down, and you'll screw up your bass. Other than that, I love them. They're great to listen to music on. But I can't mix using them.

I found out that I'm not the only one with that problem; others have mentioned problems in the bass region with those things.

trurl
01-07-2013, 07:24 PM
We have a set of Mackie HR824s in the studio, but we can't use them for mixdown. That @#$% passive woofer in the back absolutely fools you when mixing down, and you'll screw up your bass. Other than that, I love them. They're great to listen to music on. But I can't mix using them.

I found out that I'm not the only one with that problem; others have mentioned problems in the bass region with those things.

Hmmmm, that's good to know. I love the way they sound but never tried to mix on them.

Robbue
01-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Not a fan of Mackies. Way too muddy in the low mids. I'll never give up my Dynaudio BM5's

everythingtoexcess
01-08-2013, 06:25 AM
I went and checked out powered monitors at the chain store that shall remain nameless the other day. The first thing I figured out (duh) was that, for the size of my room, and considering I have a sub, I don't need huge monitors like the Behringers I have. I listened to the KRK Rockits and liked them, but then compared them to the Tannoys and M-Audios in the same price range and I actually liked both of them better. The Tannoys are very clear, but the M-audios have a lot more power and I think the mid-range definition was better. Coin flipping time.

trurl
01-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Well, given a choice between those two I would grab the Tannoys. I'll be interested to see which way you go!

Sean
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Can we talk about compression? I am in the midst of mixing some demos and I am tempted to use a bit on everything (specific to each instrument). Is this common practice or do some of you skip it completely if you can?

Also, any advice on getting a great acoustic sound would be welcome. I have done some mic'ed ones and ran direct on a different channel as well and blended the two. What would you do?

-S

Mikhael
01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Can we talk about compression? I am in the midst of mixing some demos and I am tempted to use a bit on everything (specific to each instrument). Is this common practice or do some of you skip it completely if you can?

Also, any advice on getting a great acoustic sound would be welcome. I have done some mic'ed ones and ran direct on a different channel as well and blended the two. What would you do?
-S

Yes, use a bit where needed (I wouldn't say on EVERYTHING) to smooth levels and make sure prominent bits are heard. But be careful not to squash the dynamics out of whatever piece it is; loud and soft passages should remain so. Also be careful with the multiband compression in the mastering phase - whether you or someone else does it, use enough to get your point across correctly and no more (obviously, I look upon compression as a necessary evil, at least the way it's turned out today).

Acoustic sound: I use multiple micing from various directions (I start with one at the soundhole, and one shooting down the neck), using a combination of large diaphragm (at the hole) and small (down the neck). I never use the acoustic guitar pickup, unless that's a specific tone they're going after. It's just doesn't sound quite right, at least the ones I've messed with. But that's just me; you'll probably get as many different answers as you get answers period.

Robbue
01-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Another trick I have done at times for acoustic gtr is to put a mic right where your right ear is... doesnt the acoustic always sound so good in your right ear? Put a mic there! : )

trurl
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
^^^^
But for this to work, you at least generally need a pretty high quality mic... though not always, depending on what you're looking for... and the environment is going to be a factor. One of the biggest problems I have doing more distant micing on acoustic players are musicians that breath like freight trains *lol*

Mikhael
01-09-2013, 10:41 AM
^^^^
But for this to work, you at least generally need a pretty high quality mic... though not always, depending on what you're looking for... and the environment is going to be a factor. One of the biggest problems I have doing more distant micing on acoustic players are musicians that breath like freight trains *lol*

Ha! I have that problem sometimes with acoustic guitarists, and have had to put some sort of shield between their face and the mics! Usually it's clear plexiglass, so they can still see what they're doing. I had one guy fuss about it until I played it back for him; he then put a kerchief over his face like an old Wild West bandit, and by golly, it worked!

Sean
01-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Stick 'em up!

Yodelgoat
01-09-2013, 01:45 PM
The best acoustic recording I ever got was, believe it or not, using stereo onboard mics from a little digital 8 track recorder I'm using. I simply set the recorder up on a desk, sat in a chair and played with the main body of the guitar fairly close - say, 8 inches away. I put the sound hole slightly towards the right mic (the mics are about 8 inches apart. I also turned the recording unit slightly so the left mic was an inch or so closer to the guitar. It really sounded natural and quite clear. Better than I could get using separate mics. I've used it on several songs and veryone comments on how clean and nautural the acoustic is.

Since recording those acoustic parts, I have bought a T5 and I have to say that it gets a great acoustic sound on the front position. The only issue is that it is mono, which I havent found to be too much of a problem with what I've been doing. Just double up on the part and put them slightly off each other in the stereo mix and it works for my purposes.

Yodelgoat
02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Update on SONAR8.5!!! I solved the issue of the missing MIDI controllers. They created a tiny window in the left corner at the top of the piano in the piano scroll window. You have to know its there because its really cryptic. Its also greyed out so you think its not an active part of the window, but it is! Now why couldnt the folks at Cakewalk simply tell me its there instead of telling me I had to upgrade to get that feature to work? - Lemme guess - cha-ching, right? - Over a year of asking, and no one seemed to know what I was talking about. Either they control MIDI externally, or they just dont care. I plastered this issue all over the Cakewalk forums - not a peep.

Anyway, now I can get a much better leslie sound on my B3 patch. Cool! I can also stop whining about SONAR8.5 being a piece of trash, and focus all that venom on the people who make and dont support the product! I will never upgrade to SONAR X2. Period.

WHORG
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Now on Ableton Live Studio running on an IBM PC laptop - i5 - 2.8gHz - 8GB RAM to an M-Audio Fast-Track C600 interface.

I came from Cakewalk products since 1989 - through Sonar, then made the switch to Reaper 2 years ago.

I used a friend's copy of Ableton and absolutely fell in love with their "Session View" and warping engine technologies.

Still use an older Roland JV-880 rack, plus the Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano - - - plus an older Lexicon delay (that I love). The C600 has replaced my analog mixer at this point - - -

Everything else (VST's) are on the PC . . .

The systems runs perfectly - I can run and then record about 18 tracks at once (VST + MIDI) with about 6 of them pushing effects - without a stutter. Once everything's audio - it's cake.

Ableton is truly a fantastic piece of software . . .

B D
03-14-2013, 01:59 AM

Only use it if you try it and sit back and listen and say "Yes this definitely sounds better!"

Is this common practice or do some of you skip it completely if you can?

It is very common practice to overly-process every track on a multitrack mix, especially needless habitual EQ and habitual compression, and nowadays "tape simulator" type plugins, the result in my opinion is often everything sounding smaller and less defined, with a nasty sizzly-ness.

I think this over-processing of tracks is partially a habit developed when the engineer/artist tends to listen to each track individually and try to make each track sound AMAZING on its own, as if it was meant to be listened to on its own.

Presuming you are using a relatively powerful recording software: If it's a matter of a few notes on a guitar track sticking out too far or getting lost, simply turn those notes up or down as needed on the track.

Sean
03-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the tips, Bob! I use Nuendo. Does anyone else? I have used it for the past 6 or 7 years now. Did the Speechless album on it and now the one for Story Of A Life. Hasn't crashed or froze yet! Amazingly solid. I am curious what others think of the software though!

WHORG
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Side chain compression is something that I've been using for a while now . . . it applies the compression effect (to track A) via the input characteristics from another signal path (let's say track B). This does not slam the entire track (A) with compression, but rather applies it when needed - ducking the signal a bit when another track needs to have some room - tastefully.

~JK

Alistair
04-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Reaper with a Blue Yeti Pro. It's simple but it great for demos.

digestif
05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Not a fan of Mackies. Way too muddy in the low mids. I'll never give up my Dynaudio BM5's
I also use Dynaudio BM5s. They have a rather light touch on the bass though, which I have to take into account for transferability of mixes.

digestif
05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I'm still working with Sonar 7 and haven't exhausted it's capabilities yet. I haven't found anything lacking in 7 that X1 can take care of.
I stayed on Cakewalk HS XL 2004 until this year, when I upgraded to Sonar X2 Studio - and I find a significant increase in speed and usability e.g. on parametric EQ, having a spectrum analyser etc.

Dean Watson
05-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Protools. And re: the editing ability of computer based systems vs standalone, quite often I'll play a quick guitar part - with the intent of going back and redoing it later, and I end up liking the scratch solo best. As long as it's clean enough, I'll use it.