PDA

View Full Version : in support of Fish's most recent album "13th Star"

Yaman Aksu
12-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Just a quick note for especially those who enjoyed any Fish solo album up through Sunset On Empire (and Fish-era Marillion) much more than his albums that came after Sunsets:

As has been said by others before, check out his most recent album if you haven't:
"13th Star". (I know it's a few years old by now but I listened to it only recently.)

Some reasons why:
- his singing is back in good form and controlled/produced better
- straight-up rock'n roll (or groove rock) a la "Mission Statement" is toned down
- textured/techno-like moods and beats enjoyed in Sunsets On Empire are present but don't dominate as much which I consider welcome
- as far as quality of vocal delivery and overall feel and sound, several songs sound are like a cross between Vigil, Internal, and Sunsets.
- guitar playing and other playing is more controlled, less jam-like, with nice tones

Random notes:
- suggest starting with the song "Arc of the Curve"
- For a few secs, "Zoe 25" starts like the beginning of "Los Endos". When he starts the vocals, it starts to remind me of that sample song by the band Credo at at f2music. When he then says "He dreams inside the sun", it's almost like he's singing his vocal line "she dreams in china white" in Tony Banks's "Another Murder of a Day" from the "Still" album. When the chorus comes, it's like it's straight out of Internal Exile or Suits. Familiar yet new. Good stuff.

There are going to be 2-3 places in the album where his voice may seem flat, but if you stick with the whole album and give it 2-3 listens I think you'll agree it's a good and enjoyable one! Again, that is if you enjoyed any album up through Sunsets.

Nicholas
12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
It's the only album of his I'm yet to get. I got Field of Crows on the Scattering Crows tour and had been catching up on the previous releases between 2002 and then. I saw him around the time of Fellini Nights and think he did a lot of stuff from then and Raingods. Fellini Days is pretty poor and Raingods only good for the odd track and the song suite. Sunsets is a meisterwork as is Vigil. The others a bit of a mixed bag. Internal has interesting moments. Suits boring really.

80s were ok
12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
isn't that album like 5 years old now?

ThomasKDye
12-08-2012, 12:00 PM
As a person new to Fish's solo discography, I am still enjoying Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors a LOT more than I expected. "Vigil," "Big Wedge," and "View from a Hill" are particular favorites, but I like everything. In fact, I've done something weird -- I've made it an "honorary part of my musical nostalgia," meaning that the sound of the album brings me back to my college years. Even now, "Internal Exile" (the bonus track on the album) is running through my head. So I definitely need to explore his other work when I get more moolah.

Patelena396
12-08-2012, 12:06 PM
I liked this CD. Personally, I thought it was his best in a while. It's hight points were where the quiet more introspective tunes. They fit the tone of Fish's voice these days and worked really well.

JKL2000
12-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Agree that 13th Star is a great one in Fish's canon (I pretty much enjoy them all).

Vigil is a great one, and the song "State of Mind" happens to be one of my faves from his whole solo career. I used to play Vigil to death back in the day...

Harbottle
12-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I thought it was okay, but find a lot of Fish's albums... Forgettable. I rarely have the desire to go back and listen to them.

JKL2000
12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
13th Star is one of his strongest, IMO.

malterb
12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Arc of a Curve

Completely agree, love this song. Although it does sound a bit like Colorful by the Verve Pipe (end song for the movie Rock Star)

Overall I do like 13th Star a lot, was also fun to see live.