PDA

View Full Version : Camel - Nimrodel, The Procession......

progman1975
12-07-2012, 08:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWGjT-XV6g
I know Lady Fantasy is the Prog Epic but Andy's guitar tone on this tune is just soooooo soothing and the opening is just sooo hauntingly beautiful.....:ipa

Nicholas
12-07-2012, 09:47 AM
My favourite album is the first as it can be enjoyed by anyone. The first date if you will. This is perhaps when you invite them round for a meal.

JKL2000
12-07-2012, 09:59 AM
This is some of the best prog, IMO. A holy classic.

enpdllp
12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Huge fan of Camel, Mirage and Moonmadness are my favorite albums from the band. Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider is my favorite track from Mirage.

Their live version is also pretty impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHsghdLr6U

enpdllp
12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
My favourite album is the first as it can be enjoyed by anyone. .

Although it is a good album, Camel's was still finding its identity on their first album. The album has a slight bluesy feel and it is a little bit spotty in some places. Mirage is a more consistent and solid effort.

Nicholas
12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Although it is a good album, Camel's was still finding its identity on their first album. The album has a slight bluesy feel and it is a little bit spotty in some places. Mirage is a more consistent and solid effort.

I like them equally but the first just edges it cos of Mystic Queen which is like the first course for the banquet that is Mirage.

Chuck AzEee!
12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Excellent album and my favorite song from this gem.

PROGMONSTER
12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Nimrodel is the best song on Mirage and Supertwister is the second best.
Lady fantasy is a bit boring and dated to me. Freefall is a mixed bag but still good. Earthrise isn't bad.
Autumn is a cool outtake though ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ER6rtISaY

JIF
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Mirage was my first Camel purchase. I bought the remastered cd at Tower Records many years ago. Even though I haven't listened to it in a while, Mirage will always have a place in my heart because it was my first exposure to Camel. I love Peter's Mellotron work on White Rider, as well as Andy's flute. Too bad Peter ditched the 'Tron soon after.

zombywoof
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Ahhh man, I love this one...

ribors
12-08-2012, 07:47 AM
While I've tired of Lady Fantasy long ago, Nimrodel remains a favorite Camel track of mine.

JKL2000
12-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Ironically, anyone who doesn't like this is a Nimrod.

JIF
12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
In case anyone wants to know, this thread and a list that I saw on Ultimate Classic Rock website has inspired me to spin Mirage, as well as other cds from bands that have songs about Lord Of The Rings.

notallwhowander
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
This transitions very well into Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter."

Scrotum Scissor
12-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Nimrodel is the best song on Mirage and Supertwister is the second best. Lady fantasy is a bit boring and dated to me. Freefall is a mixed bag but still good. Autumn is a cool outtake
"Autumn" is one of their very finest moments, IMO. Shame it hasn't been available as part of any standard Camel release - hell, even the vocals work on this one! The band at its atmospheric pop zenith, and the formula they never succeeded at recapturing when trying to do more fully "popped" records in the 80s. "Superstwister" apparently got its name from Ward, who likened it to Supersister (Dutch progressive band with serious merit) - at which he was most right. I think "Freefall" is a great opener, particularly the dynamic between those intensely charged parts and the "Canterburian" middle section. I've grown a bit tired of the rest of Mirage, though. But it's still good.

JIF
12-18-2012, 09:30 PM
"Autumn" is one of their very finest moments, IMO. Shame it hasn't been available as part of any standard Camel release - hell, even the vocals work on this one! The band at its atmospheric pop zenith, and the formula they never succeeded at recapturing when trying to do more fully "popped" records in the 80s. "Superstwister" apparently got its name from Ward, who likened it to Supersister (Dutch progressive band with serious merit) - at which he was most right. I think "Freefall" is a great opener, particularly the dynamic between those intensely charged parts and the "Canterburian" middle section. I've grown a bit tired of the rest of Mirage, though. But it's still good.What is your problem with Earthrise, Nimrodel, and Lady Fantasy?

Scrotum Scissor
12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
What is your problem with Earthrise, Nimrodel, and Lady Fantasy?
No "problem"; I like the "Nimrodel" opening sequence of the "White Rider" piece and the rest of it too, although, like I said, the whole thing is a bit worn out to my ears. I still enjoy the somewhat "hashy" transparency and jam-like approach they took to some of their material (crafted to absolute perfection with "Lunar Sea" later on), which I suppose is something said three tracks have in common, I've just come to find that the more densely arranged structures of "Freefall" and "Supertwister" work better. This in passing, Mirage remains my fave Camel - with Moonmadness and Breathless following on its heel.

Nicholas
12-19-2012, 11:46 AM
In case anyone wants to know, this thread and a list that I saw on Ultimate Classic Rock website has inspired me to spin Mirage, as well as other cds from bands that have songs about Lord Of The Rings.

I've got the album Wizards and Demons featuring Lord of the Rings inspired tracks from the likes of Fat Mattress, Uriah Heap, Sam Gopal, Man, Trader Horne, Sally Oldfield and Skip Bifferty.

JIF
12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
I've got the album Wizards and Demons featuring Lord of the Rings inspired tracks from the likes of Fat Mattress, Uriah Heap, Sam Gopal, Man, Trader Horne, Sally Oldfield and Skip Bifferty.Can you post the songs here?

Nicholas
12-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Can you post the songs here?

I haven't got access to my own PC so can't upload from CD.

enpdllp
12-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Can you post the songs here?

http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Demons-Music-Inspired-J-R-R/dp/B000071WFM

JIF
12-20-2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Demons-Music-Inspired-J-R-R/dp/B000071WFMI meant post the full versions of the songs on this thread. Btw, is Quiet World the same band that Steve Hackett used to be in?

Bruno Sampaio Barbosa
12-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Nice version (Andy forget the lyrics hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LlxvdLDMh4

Nicholas
12-21-2012, 07:57 AM
I meant post the full versions of the songs on this thread. Btw, is Quiet World the same band that Steve Hackett used to be in?

Yes. Traveller is from their Christian concept album The Road.

progman1975
08-22-2014, 08:34 AM
I've noticed from the boots and official live stuff, sometimes they open with Bardens on the keys and sometimes they skip that part. The opening keyboard riff by Bardens is amazing. That intro invites you in.

PROGMONSTER
08-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Best song on Mirage.
Supertwister second best.
Other songs are not bad.

WytchCrypt
08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
This is my fave Camel song and one of my all time fave prog songs...absolute perfection ;)

zombywoof
08-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Love this song, especially the oboe!