Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Let it Be movie now on Youtube..

Full Let it Be movie now on Youtube..

Years back I remember seeing this posted in 8 segments on Youtube then it was taken down.. This is the full run thru.. I never saw the original theater release nor did I get on the bandwagon and see it when it was available on VHS.. If this is of interest you might want to catch it before it's taken down again..

That won't last long. Luckily, I already have a digital transfer from a German wide-screen release.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I saw it back in the 80's in the midnight séances of second-run local silver screen theatres

If memory serves, it was divided in two halves:
    the first was the in-studio creation recording filming (and everyone in the audience was hissing as soon as Yoko was visible) and the second part was the concert on the roof of the studio.

I've seen the entire roof concert a couple of times since then, but never the studio film again.

===============

you might want to embed the YT link here, so it will be easy for those who haven't seen it to find.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've never seen the film, just clips used in other documentaries, and I remember MTV showing Let It Be itself and Get Back on their Closet Classics show.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

===============

you might want to embed the YT link here, so it will be easy for those who haven't seen it to find.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zP_8u3-cc
    I still don't know what the hang up is for re-releasing this on DVD.. sure there's the bit with Paul and George.. but seriously is that the hang up?

^That's the only vaguely 'controversial' moment in the film and that was in the Anthology. The continued block on it makes no sense. The rest of it is pretty innocuous.

Having said that I don't think the original edit made that great a job of presenting this footage. Weird choices were made in terms of what made the cut and what didn't. As an example, I was familiar with footage of them bringing in Billy Preston and discussing whether or not to go on the roof in the Anthology series. When I did see the 1970 film I was shocked to find later that they weren't even in the film.

just stayed an extra-hour at work to watch/listen to the studio, but cut after the roof conceret started ... Brought back memories.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zP_8u3-cc
    I still don't know what the hang up is for re-releasing this on DVD.. sure there's the bit with Paul and George.. but seriously is that the hang up?
    I simply doesn't present the band in the best light. It's my understand that that is the main reason. It also probably reminds them of a period they'd rather forget.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    footage of them bringing in Billy Preston and discussing whether or not to go on the roof in the Anthology series.
    The whole concept of the performance began with them discussing doing a real concert. They floated ideas playing on an ocean liner with the crowd on shore and things like that. The more they talked about it, the less-inclined they were to do anything. The ended up settling for an impromptu performance on the roof and the rest, as they say...

All that being said, we're lucky we even got the rooftop performance. And they showed they can still bring it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I still don't know what the hang up is for re-releasing this on DVD...
    The days when they were ingenuous and transparent have receded into the dim mists of time. The film shines an unwanted light on Beatles Inc.; it's now all about protecting the brand.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

^I'm not sure it's even that, the only argument in the film is still available in the Anthology documentary.

They looked into putting it out, I guess at the time of Let It Be Naked for some sort of tie-in, and went through the other footage then but there was talk of it still being 'raw'. There were many more arguments not included in the film at the time, obviously. I don't know whether they have film of this but there's one particularly painful moment where McCartney talks about the possibility of a 'divorce'. And then there's the situation of Harrison's brief departure.

I think it will ultimately come out. The rooftop gig alone is reason enough.

I've had this on a Korean Bootleg DVD for years...very interesting insight in to the behind the scenes trouble going on.
    I think I read, the Beatles or maybe even Paul said he'd like it to be released with all the other footage which shows them having a good time working together, rather than the movie which was editied and focused on all the bad stuff going on.
    I got the impression once they got out of the warehouse and gave up on that and went back in to the studio, things got a lot lighter, and yes, the rooftop concert is a classic and the highlight of the movie.
    To see the Beatles near the top of their game, as adults and mature musician's and writers perform live makes you wish they could've done a full concert after Abbey Road.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

^I'm not sure it's even that, the only argument in the film is still available in the Anthology documentary.
    I crack up when Paul tells George.... I'm not trying to get you lad....

Paul being condescending and all.
    Then at some point there's a still pic of Paul who looks like he's exploding in anger...

I haven't seen the movie, just the footage on the Anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I crack up when Paul tells George.... I'm not trying to get you lad....

Paul being condescending and all.
    Then at some point there's a still pic of Paul who looks like he's exploding in anger...

I haven't seen the movie, just the footage on the Anthology.
    I think George's response to Paul during that conversation was even better, ending with "I'll play nothing if that's what you want"..lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

It's interesting, but people tend to make a bit more out of it than it really was. George seems pretty accommodating.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

George seems pretty accommodating.
    I think that is probably from his meditation training with the Maharishi....Paul is OM Paul is OM Paul is OMMMMM

This was also only a matter of months after tempers were fraying during the 'white album' sessions.

By most accounts there was an improvement in morale when they moved from Twickenham to Savile Row, and the film does back that up.

^^ Plus, this was only three months before John and Paul got together to record "The Ballad of John and Yoko," demonstrating that the magic was still there.

I've never seen this before. Thanks for pointing it out.

One thing that's clear is that most of the takes on the record that came out - quite aside from Spector and his "wall of sound" treatment - are different from any of the takes in the movie... I was not aware of that.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I've never seen this before. Thanks for pointing it out.

One thing that's clear is that most of the takes on the record that came out - quite aside from Spector and his "wall of sound" treatment - are different from any of the takes in the movie... I was not aware of that.
    Most of the studio material in the movie is rehearsals, not recording sessions.

With all the talk of disharmony etc. during the sessions (and I don't doubt that) you could have fooled me with a few of the segments where John and Paul were playing off one another with some of the songs that were part of their early years set list.. To my eyes and ears they were having a lot of fun in the studio with Billy Preston etc. All this talk about Let it Be prompted me to dust off a book I read some time ago that covers that '69-'70 era of the boys.. anyone else read this?
    Let it Be Abbey Road.jpg

Billy was partly brought in to help cut the tension. But, yes, they were still friends and could have a lot of fun. And they did, as evidence by the many recordings.

I watched the Twickenham section last night and came to the conclusion that someone had dubbed the Nagra tapes on top of (most of) the original soundtrack...listen for those tell-tale 'bleeps'! It's quite skilfully done though and sounds much better than the version I'm familiar with.

With all the talk of disharmony etc. during the sessions (and I don't doubt that) you could have fooled me with a few of the segments where John and Paul were playing off one another with some of the songs that were part of their early years set list.. To my eyes and ears they were having a lot of fun in the studio with Billy Preston etc.
    This is the problem with blocking the film for so long- it's developed a reputation which simply isn't borne out by the reality of what's in the film. There were some seriously awful moments (the nadir being Harrison's walkout, but there were other tensions like Lennon not really having much material) during this period but very little of that made it into the original film. I feel like it was the business side of things which ultimately broke them.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-12-2019 at 12:38 PM.

The album is pretty bad compared to the previous albums, and this footage didn't do much/anything to change my view.
    I got through the first half... does it get any better?

I watched the Twickenham section last night and came to the conclusion that someone had dubbed the Nagra tapes on top of (most of) the original soundtrack...listen for those tell-tale 'bleeps'! It's quite skilfully done though and sounds much better than the version I'm familiar with.
    That's what the Nagra Tapes were specifically made for.

BTW, I'm listening the the tapes right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The album is pretty bad compared to the previous albums, and this footage didn't do much/anything to change my view.
    I got through the first half... does it get any better?
    Well, the idea was to put the Beatles in a studio and see what happens. Unfortunately, nothing much did. The album was compiled by Phil Spector after the breakup and most wasn't even from these rehearsals. There were two early versions of the "Get Back" album mixed by Glyn Johns and George Martin, which I actually prefer and still don't understand why it's not officially released. But, it was still not a proper album in the sense of being polished.

At the end of the day, it was a failed session and Spector did what he could with it.

But, you missed the best part of the film, the rooftop performance.