Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 70s art rock on OGWT

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Bear in mind with OGWT, there is a certain amount of less-than-thrilling soft rock/singer-songwriter stuff. The DVDs generally skirted around that. However they also tended not to include the valuable live footage from venues like the Rainbow or the Marquee Club which you see in the full episodes.

One episode worth watching is the one with Golden Earring. I'd read about this before and indeed, Bob Harris displays a blatant disregard for the band. What was that about?
    Harris being a bit high and mighty as usual.

Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread. However I think I should highlight this YouTube channel which has full episodes of OGWT and various other performances. I mentioned the Yes/QPR one the other day but now Druid and Utopia have gone up, plus lots of other things are here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMK...dIVRRSg/videos
    Wow! That's a great channel. BTW when you write QPR, I assume you don't mean the football club? Or do you? Bearing in mind it was just up the road from the BBC studio were OGWT was aired, so I thought there might be some connection.
    I remember many years ago on the OGWT documentary, on VH1 I think it was, Bob Harris describing how arrogant and horrible he thought Roxy Music were.
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 01-27-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiSexgang View Post
    Wow! That's a great channel. BTW when you write QPR, I assume you don't mean the football club? Or do you? Bearing in mind it was just up the road from the BBC studio were OGWT was aired, so I thought there might be some connection.
    I remember many years ago on the OGWT documentary, on VH1 I think it was, Bob Harris describing how arrogant and horrible he thought Roxy Music were.
    Yes performed a concert at QPR stadium, on the Relayer tour, which was partially broadcast on OGWT. That's what he's talking about.

The Druid episode is worth watching for Sadistic Mika Band, who are super tight and a must-see live. Though the first-rate musicianship shouldn’t be too much of a surprise, as between them, Masanori Takanaka, Tsugotoshi Goto and Yukihiro Takahashi have appeared on 90% of Japanese records recorded between 1975 and 1990 (Only slightly exaggerating, there). Featuring the future Mrs. Chris Thomas on lead vocals, who I never knew had such a sultry speaking voice. Points taken off for the crypto-racism involved in altering the OGWT sign for their performance. Not cool, Beeb!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yes performed a concert at QPR stadium, on the Relayer tour, which was partially broadcast on OGWT. That's what he's talking about.
    Thanks, I thought it must have been. That was my local team when I lived in London, still is the team I follow in fact. Went to my first QPR match at Loftus Road in the early 70s, when I was about 10 or 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The Druid episode is worth watching for Sadistic Mika Band, who are super tight and a must-see live. Though the first-rate musicianship shouldn’t be too much of a surprise, as between them, Masanori Takanaka, Tsugotoshi Goto and Yukihiro Takahashi have appeared on 90% of Japanese records recorded between 1975 and 1990 (Only slightly exaggerating, there). Featuring the future Mrs. Chris Thomas on lead vocals, who I never knew had such a sultry speaking voice. Points taken off for the crypto-racism involved in altering the OGWT sign for their performance. Not cool, Beeb!
    That backdrop is unbelievable!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They just posted one with Secret Oyster (Jackson Browne is the "headliner.")

This channel has now been removed.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Party poopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Party poopers.
    Quite. Copyright claims obviously. Amazing it lasted as long as it did really.

Spoilsports!

crap

Dammit, I'd bookmarked that one with the Sadistic Mika Band and hadn't gotten around to watching it.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Dammit, I'd bookmarked that one with the Sadistic Mika Band and hadn't gotten around to watching it.
    Good news - someone extracted their performance and uploaded it on Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    Good news - someone extracted their performance and uploaded it on Friday!
    Hey, thanks! (BTW, love your user name.)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    (BTW, love your user name.)
    Thanks and ditto for yours as a Roger Powell fan. I used to post as Oops! Wrong Planet on the old site and more recently Luckie, but owing to decrepitude I couldn't remember my password yet again after changing it so have made a fresh start. All my passwords are now in a book called "Passwords!" because I'm past caring.

I always found Bob Harris to be one of the most obnoxious, pompous asses in the known universe.

His saving grace for me was that he was such a caricature of himself he made me laugh a lot.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

National Health

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I always found Bob Harris to be one of the most obnoxious, pompous asses in the known universe.

His saving grace for me was that he was such a caricature of himself he made me laugh a lot.
    He did more, singlehandedly, to give prog a bad name than any other person ((at least old Rick Wakeman had a sense of humour). It wasn't whispering - it was a kind of insiders' club self-importance. And there's no enthusiasm for the music. In fact, that kind of cold, drawing room, atmosphere sucks the lifeblood out of the music. Watching him, even now, you feel the urge to start a two chord punk band, just to trash the soulless smugness.

anything but an expert on these matters, but.... I suppose the OGWT channel was created by someone that was not legit, but had gathered all the YT links in one page, but does it mean that all these footage don't exist anymore elsewhere on YT??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think it might be a UK-US cultural thing as well. He was well-loved by UK radio listeners for decades, simply because of his soft voice and his aloof attitude.
    Last edited by AndiSexgang; 02-06-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    anything but an expert on these matters, but.... I suppose the OGWT channel was created by someone that was not legit, but had gathered all the YT links in one page, but does it mean that all these footage don't exist anymore elsewhere on YT??
    No they were uploading this footage, those full episodes weren't on there before that I know of. I did wonder where it was all coming from!

I did at least get to see the episode with Barclay James Harvest from 1976.

No they were uploading this footage, those full episodes weren't on there before that I know of. I did wonder where it was all coming from!

I did at least get to see the episode with Barclay James Harvest from 1976.
    Many episodes were repeated on the British channel UK Gold in the early 1990s. It's possible that the uploader (or someone close to him/her) made sneaky personal copies when the original BBC masters were converted for digital broadcasting at that time.

Thank God this episode was saved for posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Thank God this episode was saved for posterity.
    Hilarious, and of course The Fast Show did the same kind of thing many years later with Jazz Club.