Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Discovery

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Has there been a Star Trek "type" series that didn't have an episode where the ship's fuel was running out and replacing it was the driving force of an episode? The water bear idea sounds kind of lame ("Tardigrades Will Inherit the Earth") but also kind of cute. Could just as easily have been a manatee.

Gene Roddenberry wouldn't have approved - see ST:TNG Encounter at Farpoint!

Honestly, who cares what Roddenberry would or would not have approved? He gets far too much credit for the show (people like Gene Coon and David Gerrold shaped a good deal of what we consider canon) It was evident by the early 80s that his "ideals" got in the way of good story telling. In fact, Roddenberry and his massive ego, was forced off TNG. Star Trek has succeeded DESPITE Roddenberry, and not because of him. He was responsible for the original idea and impetus behind the franchise, but (much like Star Wars), the best stuff has come about from others.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    Honestly, who cares what Roddenberry would or would not have approved? He gets far too much credit for the show (people like Gene Coon and David Gerrold shaped a good deal of what we consider canon) It was evident by the early 80s that his "ideals" got in the way of good story telling. In fact, Roddenberry and his massive ego, was forced off TNG. Star Trek has succeeded DESPITE Roddenberry, and not because of him. He was responsible for the original idea and impetus behind the franchise, but (much like Star Wars), the best stuff has come about from others.
    I'm not sure there is a lick of evidence on this.

Watch the documentary called Chaos on the Bridge where many of the original producers went on record an said so.
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

I'm seeing a lot of controversy out there on the nerd sites about the last episode. Apparently many think the show went over the line in its treatment of a certain iconic character

Spoiler: Harry Mudd was left in the hands of the murderous Klingons - not exactly something Gene would have allowed
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    I think the case-in-point for your Roddenberry take is the fact that he hated Star Trek II and Star Trek VI, which were two of the better outings of the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of controversy out there on the nerd sites about the last episode. Apparently many think the show went over the line in its treatment of a certain iconic character

Spoiler: Harry Mudd was left in the hands of the murderous Klingons - not exactly something Gene would have allowed
    I can't be the only one thinking that's not the last we will see of that particular character though...
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Forgive me for coming in on this but I recently began watching the Braga/Bearman era and it was much as I remembered but the passing of years made somethings look better and why clearer.

TNG once it got its wind from the 3rd season bettered the original for me and its only in the 7th when their were distractions when the limitations of the overtly positive approach and single cell story telling really showed. Child of the week, romance of the week and possessed of the week.

I never enjoyed DSN and I found several of the characters deeply irritating.

Voyager I watched but that again suffers from cell like story telling and re hashing of old stories and Janeway was curiously one dimensional.

Oddly the era suddenly became interesting with the post 9/11 Season 3 of Enterprise and the fourth season continued the long story arcs. That it folded was a tragedy.

The SNG movies work better as two part stories and viewed at home but the reboot leaves me cold though Beyond had a curiously echo feel.

And so we start again.

There seems to be tons of creative licence all of which passes me by, I am not wired to that, I like the post Roddenberry feel reminiscent of Enterprise and to present everything in a fresh way but give oblique signposts to those classic trek themes works well.

Two points I really like the central core of characters is much smaller than the ensemble feel of the B/B years and people are dying, there is jeopardy in the interaction in the outcomes and in the crew. You cannot guarantee any ones safe thats good.

On a point of acting I thought Yeoh was perfunctory and her delivery acted rather than owned.

In the UK its netflix so no financial dynamic.

......not exactly something Gene would have allowed
    Gene WOULD have allowed it for a guest star, but not a regular cast member. In the original series, if there was a new guy on the bridge, you just knew he was going to die, or remain on an alien ship, or the like.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I don't think he'd allow it for a recurring guest star. About the only thing left in the hands of the Klingons were the Tribbles (I know, I know, Gene didn't write that script). All in all it seems like a brutal act. Kirk hated Mudd but he would have never done that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Watching Star Trek the Original Series episode, The Way To Eden. Yeah yeah brother.......

Great episode. Spock rocks.

All in all it seems like a brutal act. Kirk hated Mudd but he would have never done that.
    A few musings to ponder:
    1. Kirk was a character written in the 60's. Therefore heroes at that time for American action adventure TV were often painted in black and white (no Frank Gorshin jokes please!). The Lorca character more accurately reflects a more multi-dimensional approach of modern day writing.
    2. I think Lorca will eventually become Garth of Izer so his transformation into a meglomaniac has to start from a morally ambiguous center.
    3. Lorca, unlike Kirk, is not the central character. And in Trek canon, there are other less-than-moral captains (Matthew Decker in TOS for example)-therefore the conflict between Georgiou and Burnham in the pilot sets the stage for later conflict between Burnham and Lorca.
    4. Kirk is Horatio Hornblower, Lorca is Ahab
    5. Roddenberry's own writing style was very boorish and pretentious (just watch all of his old Have Gun Will Travel episodes)--to that it was "of it's time".
    6. Again, other than his original vision, Roddenberry was more of a guiding hand: according to Shatner, "Roddenberry wasn't involved much at all after the first half of Season 1."
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

David Gerrold is a FB friend. Today he wrote this:

Today, there are people remembering the passing of Gene Roddenberry.

There were times when I admired him a lot. There were also some times when I did not.

But whatever his flaws or faults as a man, he gave us Star Trek. Now, I might have my quibbles with this or that in the Star Trek universe and how some people have taken the franchise places that Gene never intended —

But ... Gene gave us a vision of a future that works for everyone, with no one and nothing left out. He showed us a future in which everyone's ability was recognized and valued. He showed us a future where we strove for peace, not war. He gave us a place for telling stories about who we are today and who we want to become in the future.

There are some who think Trek is just another action-adventure franchise — and some of the people entrusted with the responsibility of writing and producing it have treated it as such.

But Gene's original ambition was one of the most noble of all. Like Rod Serling, he wanted to hold up a mirror to our foibles so that we would be inspired to do better.

Gene was, in his own way, a warrior for social justice. He proved it more than once in that first season of a remarkable and groundbreaking TV series. In that, he changed the world.

He deserves that credit. The Star Trek phenomenon is unprecedented in modern culture. No one can take that away.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Check out Star Trek Continues, which is a take off on Star Trek: TOS on YT. It's made by fans rather than Hollywood, so low budget. However, they do an amazing job given their lack of budget. They have good stories, and act pretty well. It takes a bit to adjust to other actors playing the part of Kirk, Spock, and Bones, but it doesn't take long to get into the stories or it didn't for me. There are now 10 episodes on YT.

And now I'm watching an episode of ST:TNG. Worf is doing the Klingon Right of Ascencion. He's walking a gauntlet of Klingon pain sticks.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    And now I'm watching an episode of ST:TNG. Worf is doing the Klingon Right of Ascencion. He's walking a gauntlet of Klingon pain sticks.
    I just know you're going to leave us hanging again, Vic...

Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

So...episode 7...Harry Mudd eh? Was I right or was I right?

Much like The Walking Dead, I'm only sticking with Discovery to see just how much worse it can get.
    I did not care for Ep 7 Harry Mudd - the final resolution was far too quick and there's no way the Captain would allow Mudd to live after what he'd done. Sorry - I can't buy it.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Much like The Walking Dead, I'm only sticking with Discovery to see just how much worse it can get.
    I did not care for Ep 7 Harry Mudd - the final resolution was far too quick and there's no way the Captain would allow Mudd to live after what he'd done. Sorry - I can't buy it.
    Peter
    I thought it was a fun episode.

I think the Captain probably had no choice as he didn't remember any of it, other than taking over the ship's computer and the word of his slightly off-kilter scientist. Mudd's also a guy with a lot of dirt on Lorca:

1) Lorca left him in a Klingon prison, probably get him in trouble with Starfleet.

2) That secret weapon cache full of illegal stuff, another thing Starfleet may frown upon.

Then those things lead to questions about the capture of the Admiral in the previous episode, snowflake turns to blizzard.

Just my $0.02.

I understand that they can swear now ST: D. Is there any nudity?

Can Lorca ride?

i have a question about Deep Space 9....
    the character Kira seems to act like a man most of the time-
    is her race uni-sexual? or is the actress like that?

I'm watching an episode of the Original Series called "The Enemy Within." The episode where Kirk gets split in two. He's now grabbing bones by the neck and demanding a bottle of brandy.

Kira's character was just a tough girl. Although in the Mirror Universe she did hook up with women...in the prime universe she was always after men with power.

The Enemy Within is a great episode.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.