Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Todd Rundgren appreciation

The past couple days I've been listening to the new live Utopia double album, and man is it good. A nice combination of their proggier stuff with their pop/rock tunes. I mean, they open with all 14 minutes of "Utopia Theme" -- how cool is that?!

Really kicking myself now for not going to see them, but at least there's a concert blu-ray in this set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0003yfj

Wakeman interview around 35 minutes in, then, around an hour Todd joins the conference call and they chat with him too.

The next stop is an extensive US tour, if you get a chance go along, it’s a greatest hits setlist, you’ll not be disappointed.

It’s just a privilege to spend a few hours in his company, and the band were great too.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The past couple days I've been listening to the new live Utopia double album, and man is it good. A nice combination of their proggier stuff with their pop/rock tunes. I mean, they open with all 14 minutes of "Utopia Theme" -- how cool is that?!

Really kicking myself now for not going to see them, but at least there's a concert blu-ray in this set.
    Which album is this? I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Which album is this? I can't find it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Live-Chicago-.../dp/B07NN5QH7F

Thanks for the info.
    Found the CD-version on Amazon Germany, which seems to include a DVD and Blu-ray.

One other store I tend to buy from, only offers the vinyl version.

It seems it is not available at this moment, but can be delivered from April 19.

I have the new one on order for 19th April, shame that show never reached England, I’m looking forward to seeing that DVD.

The interview Sean linked is a little truncated from the broadcast, but worth a listen. The interviewer Danny Baker is a huge Todd fan, about the only one ever in the UK media, I reckon he could have chatted all day, shame he couldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0003yfj

Wakeman interview around 35 minutes in, then, around an hour Todd joins the conference call and they chat with him too.
    Conference call? They were in the studio together.

Well that's even better. Seeing the two of them together makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    The interview Sean linked is a little truncated from the broadcast, but worth a listen. The interviewer Danny Baker is a huge Todd fan, about the only one ever in the UK media, I reckon he could have chatted all day, shame he couldn’t.
    Very cool! I like Danny Baker too. He's also a T. Rex and ELP fan too, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    Conference call? They were in the studio together.
    Great photo. Thanks for sharing that!

Well that's even better. Seeing the two of them together makes me smile.
    Same here.

5C1A73F9-DBAB-468D-9842-C5069E2DB249.jpg

Hopefully this will make you smile, it's a snap I took during Just One Victory on Saturday evening, note Todd is still in the same bloody t-shirt, yet he used to take such pride in his stage clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    5C1A73F9-DBAB-468D-9842-C5069E2DB249.jpg

Hopefully this will make you smile, it's a snap I took during Just One Victory on Saturday evening, note Todd is still in the same bloody t-shirt, yet he used to take such pride in his stage clothes
    I still miss his rock star get-up, but he doesn't like the fuss of it these days. He likes to wander about town wherever he's playing, just being himself and coming back to the venue as late as he can. And you'll no doubt remember his 14 costume changes in less than an hour for the AWATS show 9 years ago that nearly killed him.

Great pic, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrankie Valli View Post
    I still miss his rock star get-up, but he doesn't like the fuss of it these days. He likes to wander about town wherever he's playing, just being himself and coming back to the venue as late as he can. And you'll no doubt remember his 14 costume changes in less than an hour for the AWATS show 9 years ago that nearly killed him.

Great pic, by the way.
    Yup...I kinda miss the stage outfits. Perhaps living in Kauai for so long has him leaning towards the simple side of life.

(By the way, I assume everyone has seen the "Daryl's House" episode from Todd's Hawaiian home. If not, it is a great way to spend 30 minutes.)

Amazed he dusted this gem off!

Pretty good review, thanks for posting, except... Black Maria from AWATS, really? .... oh for the want of a proof reader (or a nail)

LOL! I see him tomorrow night and the following! Two doses of TR in one year is a rare treat.

Wonderful Sean, I’m jealous of your two gigs, we only had one show for the whole of the UK, and only one other for mainland Europe (Amsterdam,), he cancelled two shows in Germany, I'm not sure why. I hope he's back on these shores soon.

You’ll have a great time. I look forward to your thoughts.
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 04-10-2019 at 07:04 AM.

LOL! I see him tomorrow night and the following! Two doses of TR in one year is a rare treat.
    I'm jealous as well.

Hope you have a great time there (both nights). Let us know how the shows are please!

So Sean how was it? Some interesting changes on the setlist, though the first half seemed identical to London.

I picked up a lovely 4 album vinyl box set of all of the Bearsville and Warner Bros singles and b-sides collected, at Record Store Day yesterday. I hadn’t gone looking for it, but I simply couldn’t resist.

I really enjoyed both nights. I'm glad I nabbed a ticket for Wed at the last minute because that second set that night was the better of the two. I would have been pissed if I saw that setlist and just went Thurs. Thurs had some gems too though, just not quite as many. For me the best part was all the tunes he dusted off that haven't been played in years. The tunes from Initiation in particular were nice. Good chunk of Todd, Something/Anything and Faithful too. With a mix of tunes from the albums around those mixed in for good measure. Everyone was in great voice too. Sometimes they get a bug mid tour, like that last Utopia tour. I was watching the DVD last night and I could tell Kas was coming off a cold that night. A minor gripe.... That new Utopia DVD is wonderful btw. I highly suggest it! TR is just a national treasure (one that can be enjoyed in many nations). Nobody comes close when it comes to the sheer volume of his catalog except maybe Zappa. Difference is, Todd can still go out and perform them so it's great to take in as many shows/tours as possible because this won't last forever. But at 70 he shows no signs of slowing down. Someone asked in the Q & A "How do you stay so fit?" and he said "Doing these shows!". Also, "What part of your career do you think was the peak, where you thought "I really nailed it!". And he was like, "Hey! I'm only 70! I'd like to think I have yet to peak!".

20190411_221354.jpg20190411_224610.jpg20190411_224152.jpg

He is a national treasure, though I’ve loved his work since the 70’s so I’m claiming him too!

I’m glad you had such a great time, it’s great how he is delving far back into the catalogue again. I haven’t always kept up with later releases, but I have filled a couple of blanks this week, and as ever there’s something to truly love in every album. He has such a vast and eclectic catalogue, and there are not many I can say I dislike.

I’m looking forward to the new live Utopia set, it’s not released until next week over here, I have it ordered.