Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Album Covers of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    A 5th grader and a 5th Year pupil are not at all the same thing. A Fifth grader is approx. 10 (9-11 range) A Fifth Year pupil is approx. 16 (15-17 range). However the system in England changed in 1990 & England adopted the system used around most of Europe and the US, so the old Fifth Year is now called Year Eleven (11th grader)
    I figured as much - I still stand by my comment. Whitehead was a hack as an artist, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Yes - Relayer
    You like the rock-formation vagina on the back?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Bitches Brew
    ITCOTCK
    CTTE
    Abraxas
    5000 Layers of the Onion
    And my fave for its graphic simplicity- MDK
    Love those Klarwein covers.
    Too bad this (bigger pic here) isn't readily available, and too bad the music didn't make it to last year's box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Love those Klarwein covers.
    Too bad this (bigger pic here) isn't readily available, and too bad the music didn't make it to last year's box.
    It certainly did in the BB 40th boxset,though not as vinyl cover, but it was in the accompanying book
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Brain Salad Surgery: A Geiger cover! Like it or not, you GOTTA respect the juice of a prog band to get THAT shit done!
    Any album cover by Roger Dean or Hipgnosis is always at the top of my best of lists. Another guy that did some pretty cool stuff was Rodney Matthews. A roadie turned illustrator. Did TONS of stuff too. But Dean for me is king.

Eskimo by The Residents is the best one for me, closely followed by Tim Buckley's Happy Sad and Nico's The Marble Index.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You like the rock-formation vagina on the back?
    Uh yeah, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Uh yeah, whatever.
    I'm not joking - the extent of the anatomical detail makes it pretty apparent what was going on there (and with a snake poised to strike, no less).

I'm not joking - the extent of the anatomical detail makes it pretty apparent what was going on there (and with a snake poised to strike, no less).
    Never noticed that... can you be more specific ??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Never noticed that... can you be more specific ??
    You guys have seen one of these up close before.... right?

Huh. I never, ever looked at it that way. And now I never, ever will not. That print is on our living room wall; wonder if my wife has noticed it *lol*

You guys have seen one of these up close before.... right?
    enlighten us dude...

Yeah, some of these rock formation can hint at muscles circling a hole, but isn't that stretching it??

Pink Floyd: "Wish You Were Here" the flaming guy shaking hands with the other dude in the suit!
    Led Zeppelin III: The picture wheel was cool revealing the band members in various windows...
    Jon Anderson: "Olias of Sunhillow". I like the cover a lot more than the music!

Worst Album Covers:
    Black Sabbath: "Paranoid". A day-glo guy in a motorcycle helmet wielding a machete?! C'mon!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Worst Album Covers:
    Black Sabbath: "Paranoid". A day-glo guy in a motorcycle helmet wielding a machete?! C'mon!
    Never understood why this was highly regarded...It's highly retarded, instead!!!

Jefferson James
    Pet Sounds

King Crimson-Lizard (it's like reading a book)

JKL: never understood why people wouldn't just want to do what I think of as a regular "web site" format instead.

Disclaimer: I don't have a lot of knowledge about either, but I assume blogging is free whereas a regular web site will cost you some bucks. So it's economic. It's a cheaper way to blog about a topic one is interested in.

I love the band, and a large part of Roger Dean's artwork, but Close To The Edge's cover is mostly just a green cover, now the inside foldout is a different animal, nice. But you're right, Yes had good covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    enlighten us dude...

Yeah, some of these rock formation can hint at muscles circling a hole, but isn't that stretching it??
    I don't think I want to go there...

At least the site makes mention of progressive rock. I'd agree, for a blog/site like that, I WOULD expect them to showcase the actual album art...man, talk about dropping the ball.

Whitehead--didn't he also do some of the Van Der Graff Generator covers? I like those.

Santana Abraxas was a good call. I think most of my favorite covers are from prog artist or albums. I think I bought Crimson's In The Court Of, just on album art alone. I'm sure many others back in the vinyl day were the reasons I bought the album--some of the psychedelic/rock albums too.

Taboo.jpg

What a way to sell music, huh?

I really loved the Steve Hackett covers done by his ex-wife, Kim Poor. They helped created a mystique around the music, much as Dean did with Yes.

Some of my favourite album covers by some of my favourite bands:
    Yes - Relayer
    Genesis - Wind & Wuthering
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (hard to pick just one for them! So many iconic and wonderful covers)
    Frost* - Milliontown
    Kansas - Leftoverture
    Spock's Beard - Snow (though the cover for 'Brief Noctures' is pretty good)
    Queen - Innuendo
    The Beatles - Abbey Road
    Alan Parsons - Try Anything Once
    Asia - Aqua
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (my least favourite album of theirs, but I love the cover...)
    Dream Theater - Awake (I like quite a few of their covers)
    It Bites - When the Lights Go Down
    Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made (the artwork for 'Happiness is the Road', not just the cover, is amazing - shame I don't like the album; I like lots of Marillon's studio and live album covers from Holidays in Eden onwards)
    Rush - Clockwork Angels