Thread: So, it seems this guy does not like Imagine Dragons

So, it seems this guy does not like Imagine Dragons

Imagine Dragons and the scourge of the rock and roll grave blockers

"But if audiences are still feeling anxious about the death of rock-and-roll, they shouldn’t. Musical traditions don’t die. They might fade in prominence or dwindle in circulation, but they don’t slump neatly into rectangular pits of earth. And yet, we’ve made Imagine Dragons into the everlasting Glade PlugIn of the world. A band with no imagination guards an imaginary tomb."
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The only member of my household who really knows any Imagine Dragons music is my 9-year-old son. I've certainly not heard enough of any of it that I remember what it sounds like. I just think of it as music for kids. My teen (soon to turn 20) wouldn't be caught dead listening to it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fantastic
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Imagine talent.

My wife loves them. I find them boring and repetitive. It seems every song has the same formula with the anthemic refrains. gag.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Can’t get into these guys either. That style of “big, anthemic, punch-the-air” music just doesn’t work for me I guess. I think It Bites did it better.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Jon Neudorf
    I think they're pretty decent.

Jon

Some of my guitar students like them. The fact their songs often just have the same four chords over and over makes them good for beginners.

Kind of liked one of their songs (don't remember which), but most of them turn me off.

Give me back the Soup Dragons.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Kind of liked one of their songs (don't remember which), but most of them turn me off.

Give me back the Soup Dragons.
    Inspiral Carpets

Big IT conferences used Imagine Dragons stuff for warm up music before keynotes.
    Way to burn out a song in less than a week

It is a cheap shot to blame millennials for everything, but the 'Way-Oh' ( or what have you ) chorus brands ( like with a hot iron ) their music with a cliche that is hard to scrape off.
    It taints a lot of otherwise catchy tunes.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Amusement park ride theme music from a band straight out of DreamWorks central casting. Diet Muse (even if Muse has become rather formulaic). Not terrible, but it sure sounds like a lot of the pop of the last 10 or 15 years could have been written by the same person/s.

I like the term "focus grouped" from the article.

Yes, this is a repost
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

At least they have a prog-rock name.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It is a cheap shot to blame millennials for everything, but the 'Way-Oh' ( or what have you ) chorus brands ( like with a hot iron ) their music with a cliche that is hard to scrape off.
    It taints a lot of otherwise catchy tunes.
    That's how I feel about quite a few modern groups. That "Way-Oh" or "Whoah-Oh" thing that gets used so often.

Oh well, some folks like them.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's how I feel about quite a few modern groups. That "Way-Oh" or "Whoah-Oh" thing that gets used so often.
    That's because they all follow each other and lack originality. Just like the auto-tune gimmickry. They're driven to follow trends instead of driven to make trends of their own.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's because they all follow each other and lack originality. Just like the auto-tune gimmickry. They're driven to follow trends instead of driven to make trends of their own.
    Yes, and it drives me nuts whenever I hear it. Just strikes me as a lazy approach to songwriting.

Like, if they had a banjo they would check another box.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Like, if they had a banjo they would check another box.
    Or a uke.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or a uke.
    Especially a ukelele.

At least bands stopped copying Pearl Jam

I'd rather watch paint dry. They are very boring to my ears.

They're not bad for a successful international act. They actually play rock music and utilize guitars and such.

FILE UNDER: Way better than Coldplay.
    The Prog Corner

"Way better than Coldplay" isn't saying much, though...