Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks: The Return TONITE

Banned

Twin Peaks: The Return TONITE

The the reboot begins tonite on SHO 9pm EDT and will replay all week.

Banned
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainme...ere/vp-BBBlVdy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never watched the original, but this has my interest. I honestly don't want to watch the original...should I not bother then? Such difficult decisions...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looking forward to it, hope there's a data heavy intro as I can hardly remember the original.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I just watched season 1 and just started season 2. I'm DVRing the new season and will watch it later after I catch up. I'm not even sure now if I watched all of season 2 the first time around.

I guess I'd ask how important context is to you, Klonky!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I guess I'd ask how important context is to you, Klonky!
    Usually pretty important! Though it is David Lynch and of all his stuff I've loved...I still have no idea what any of it means So I guess I can just watch.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Reboot? I thought this was a continuation of the original series?

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I just watched season 1 and just started season 2. I'm DVRing the new season and will watch it later after I catch up. I'm not even sure now if I watched all of season 2 the first time around.
    I know for a fact I missed at least one episode of season 2. Why am I so sure? Because the night they revealed who killed Laura Palmer, I was at Richfield Coliseum, at my first Grateful Dead show (second set opened with Eyes Of The World/Estimated Prophet/Terrapin Station), and in my excitement about finally getting to see Jerry and company, I forgot to set the VCR to record Twin Peaks.

I know Showtime has been airing the original series, but they haven't been doing it in any kind of organized fashion which you could plan ahead for. Or at least, they didn't go out of their way to promote such programming. While I was getting ready for work this morning, I noticed they were binge airing the second season (whoever though of "binge programming" deserves a slap in the face, btw), so I'm not sure what I should do. Maybe I need to reactive my Netflix account, and see if they don't have the first two seasons on DVD.

Very excited to see the series return! I need to see this past Wednesday's Fargo episode. It's on at 9 on both coasts, by the way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Reboot? I thought this was a continuation of the original series?
    SHO calls the Return S1 E1 and E2

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    SHO calls the Return S1 E1 and E2
    But is a continuation of the original series? If it is, then it's not a reboot. A reboot is when you start things over, typically ignoring established canon. The "re-imagined" version of Battlestar Gallactica was a reboot, but the new Doctor Who isn't. The various Star Trek TV series (and the pre-Abrams movies) are all part of the same chronology as the original series, so none of them represent a reboot.

It's a continuation - they showed the first 2 episodes tonight of what would be the 3rd season (not sure why they're calling it season 1 but they seem to be).

So far I'm massively unconvinced about it - they seem to be picking up on aspects of the 2nd season that I found weak. They've uploaded episodes 3 and 4 online so I'll watch them this week and see where it goes.

I'm recording it and I won't be watching or looking at this thread until I've watched the rest of season 2 on Netflix.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

i remember watching this series for a short time and was frustrated because i had no idea what was happening. and it was a low rated show, surprised it got a reboot. knowing Showtime it will be hyped to dead.

I was a fan during the show's run. Season 1 was great, season 2 not so much--I always believed they really had no idea where to take the story and kind of made it up as they went along. I appreciated the quirkiness and the non-linear, existential story telling, but it seemed to devolve into self-gratifying nonsense--and not the interesting kind of nonsense.. I hope they get back to the core of what made the show enjoyable. I will, however, test drive it for a few episodes!
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Did anyone see this? I am so much looking forward to it. It has to be a decade since Lynch gave us anything - there was some music involved but it is not his strong point

like progeezer I'm still working my way through the original again. About 3 more episodes to go in Season2 (Showtime was airing two episodes a week on Sundays for the last few months - you can probably also get it on demand) I'll also watch the movie again before starting The Return.

The first season is still pretty good and holds up well. Second season really gets bad after Laura's death is solved. Still a few interesting things but it seemed like they didn't know where to go. Would have been best to just end the series because it gets pretty lame and was rightly cancelled. Not sure if the original would interest new viewers who don't have the history of watching it when it first aired. It was a pretty big deal back then and groundbreaking but I could see younger viewers watching it now and wondering what all the fuss is about and frankly being bored by it. The music which is very prominent in season 1 is a large part of the appeal imo and still sounds great.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I'm on ep three right now. So far, it's totally Lynchian in the Lost Highway, Inland Empire, and even a little Mullholland Drive universe where he's fixated on his quantum physics schtick. I'm a huge Lynch and Twin Peaks fanboy, but I'm cautiously optimistic here. I am as fascinated as I am with all his projects so I'm in for the long haul, but be forewarned, this is not your granddad's Twin Peaks. So far, it is COMPLETELY devoid of the charm and humor of those first two seasons (and yes, I actually enjoyed the second season...guess I didn't give a flying fuck that they didn't reveal Laura's killer midway into the second season so I stuck with it. I just loved the characters).

The other thing this is sorely missing is the complete lack of a Badalamenti score (or ANY score for that matter). It's either silent, which actually amplifies the quirkiness of the acting and actually makes it uncomfortable, or it's got that low wind tunnel drone that permeated the aforementioned LH, IE, and MD. This is huge factor for me as that music during the first two seasons added so much emotion to every scene. For instance, Lucy being Lucy without her quirky music during one of her ridiculous exchanges, just makes it awkward. Remember those upright bass lines every time Audry Horne walked into a room?

Ok, back to ep 3.
    Last edited by Paulie; 05-22-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    The other thing this is sorely missing is the complete lack of a Badalamenti score (or ANY score for that matter). It's either silent, which actually amplifies the quirkiness of the acting and actually makes it uncomfortable, or it's got that low wind tunnel drone that permeated the aforementioned LH, IE, and MD. This is huge factor for me as that music during the first two seasons added so much emotion to every scene. For instance, Lucy being Lucy without her quirky music during one of her ridiculous exchanges, just makes it awkward. Remember those upright bass lines every time Audra Horne walked into a room?

Ok, back to ep 3.
    That is pretty shocking to hear that they aren't using the Badalamenti score! Some of the Showtime promos for it I thought had highlighted it. Agree that is a huge factor in the success of the original. That would be like doing a Halloween movie and not using the John Carpenter theme music.

So far, they've only played Laura's Theme during the credits.

Interesting. I grabbed the free 7 day trial of SHO thru Amazon Channels and every ep is up. Ep 3 was pretty good. Coop is back...sort of...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    2 episodes in and it is extremely quirky, long stares into camera with no dialogue, no idea what is going on, completely impenetrable, I think I'm going to enjoy it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I just got the original 29 episodes for my birthday.

I don't have Showtime, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this again. I missed too many episodes back when it was originally broadcast and simply couldn't follow. So, this will be fun.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Correction, only the first 4 are up thru Amazon Channels.

I will admit, eps 3 and 4 harkened back and were a fun watch. Still no real score to mention. Looks like he's promoting his pet project bands during the end credits. Great to see Lynch and Duchovny back among others. Still crushing on Shelly (Madchen Amick) after all these years.

I think it falls down a bit in the editing. As mentioned earlier, the long stares with no dialogue get to be a bit much. But who am I to question as maybe it's a calculated decision to add to the uneasiness. I'm digging it.