Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder

Did anyone catch the tribute to Stevie Wonder that was on last night that paid homage to "Songs In The Key Of Life", some great performances and his touring band kicks major ass!

His touring band is GREAT and seeing that whole album performed live last November was fantastic. This special would have been as well if they just stuck to that show and aired it. But this is a night to remember Stevie, so it was a mixed bag of tunes across his career played by a motley crew of guests. I think the version of AS was the coolest of the night. The bit where Stevie played at the end was great too. My fave moment of the night was when they did a couple minutes of the instrumental “Contusion”. Just seeing the celebs bopping to it was fun. You could see the prog fan in Pharrel on his face when they cut to him. So yeah, not a bad special. Can’t go wrong with those songs. But PRAY for a official DVD release of the whole Songs tour show.

Would love to see "Secret life of Plants" performed in it's entirety. To me, that was his true "prog" album.

yes, although my gf reminded me about 50 times, about how George Michael has covered Stevie dozens of times and was MIA for no real clear reason last night.

Great tribute, I wish Janelle Monae had been given a solo spot, but so be it.

I spent a cool $171 + change to see the show in late March at Target Center with the GF her friend, and 1 of my good friends who'll be in another more affordabley priced section. It's been 26 years since Stevie played Minnesota, and the complete Songs in the Key of Life should be pretty awesome to witness.

missed it but the DVD of the tour show will be an autobuy for me if they release it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    My fave moment of the night was when they did a couple minutes of the instrumental “Contusion”. .
    There are some pretty amazing live tapes from the '70s where he opens with a 20+ minute version of that.

Stevie Wonder 1970-1979 was so amazing, it still astounds me!

I missed it unfortunately. I'll have to catch it on "on demand" in a few days.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Stevie's "Songs In The Key Of Life" tour finally hits London today, I'm very excited to be seeing this show at long last!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I'd narrow that down to 72 (Talking Book) to 76 (Key Of Life), but even there, there is some pure dreck (sunshine of my life, for ex)

Though, I honestly don't remember of Secret Life
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post

Agreed. I still have a soft spot for Innervisions. I saw Stevie at the Fox Theater in Detroit when it reopened after renovations in '89. Astounding venue and superb concert. Stevie played for three hours to hometown fans.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

First Phil Collins discussed on a prog forum & now little Stevie Wonder. Who's next, Barry Mainilow?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    First Phil Collins discussed on a prog forum & now little Stevie Wonder. Who's next, Barry Mainilow?
    Really? Are you that narrow-minded? I'll just pretend you're being facetious. Wonder's music in the 70s encompassed soul, funk, rock, jazz and blues. I'd say that's quite progressive.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Really? Are you that narrow-minded? I'll just pretend you're being facetious. Wonder's music in the 70s encompassed soul, funk, rock, jazz and blues. I'd say that's quite progressive.
    Some mite say it was all over the place!

Some might be clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Some might be clueless.
    And still not know what the hell that implies. Sign not only of the philistine but of the imbecile. Bonafide.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Stevie Wonder used one of these on his key early 70's albums:

tontos-expanding-head-band.jpg

He was probably the first to use a Yamaha GX-1 on a record, for Songs in the Key of Life.

To sum up, Stevie Wonder used a modular synthesizer = prog.
    ...or you could love

I didn't know mites could talk. Learn something new every day.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Never been a huge fan of his. I liked his early stuff when he was known as Little Stevie Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I didn't know mites could talk.
    Yeah, but what they say is lousy. Really ticks me off. As soon as I hear them talking, I flee.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yeah, but what they say is lousy. Really ticks me off. As soon as I hear them talking, I flee.
    Yeah, it bugs me, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yeah, but what they say is lousy. Really tiques me off. As soon as I hear them talking, I flee.
    corrected
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Stevie Wonder

Yeah well Rufus is a fucking cloth-eared idiot.

I'm just back from 3.5 hours of pure musical brilliance, what a genius of a man, what a shit-hot band and what a masterful spellbinding performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Yeah well Rufus is a fucking cloth-eared idiot.

I'm just back from 3.5 hours of pure musical brilliance, what a genius of a man, what a shit-hot band and what a masterful spellbinding performance.

Well the review I've just read from the London gig said it was a meandering 4 hour show. Maybe you saw it on a good day!

Well the review I've just read from the London gig said it was a meandering 4 hour show. Maybe you saw it on a good day!
    Funny thing, of the first three reviews I looked at, one rated the London show four stars and the other two rated it five stars. I couldn't find the one you were reading from The Daily Douche.