Page 206 of 316 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210216256306 ... LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Gosling is a superb actor imo. Coincidentally, I just watched a movie called "The Place Beyond The Pines" yesterday (2012). Gosling, along with Bradley Cooper, Ray Liotta, Rose Byrne, Harris Yulin and last but not least, Eva Mendes (Gosling's partner, mother of his 2 kids and more than likely the woman in line with him in Ontario. Google her & see, Progatron).

Movie was damn good btw
    Agree, that was a good one.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    and the subsequent American versions, while not bad, didn't come close.

Just finishing your sentence for ya!
    I've kinda gotten confused about these - was one US remake with Robin Williams?

IIRC all 3 were remade (Rooney Mara instead of Noomi Rapace). I might be wrong.

Robin Williams? Uh, nope.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Not trying to be pedantic at all, Steve, but IMDB only shows Rooney Mara starring in the first film (with Daniel Craig).

I'm not a big fan of foreign films, so I was very interested to hear that they re-made all of these in English. I would imagine that they abandoned the project, at this point.

The original Swedish films are so universally praised that I'm sure I would still enjoy them, foreign language and all.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm not a big fan of foreign films, so I was very interested to hear that they re-made all of these in English. I would imagine that they abandoned the project, at this point.

Actually with the sequel, The Girl That Played With Fire, if you go into the set-up menu, you can get the dubbed English for it, which is what I did just for ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not trying to be pedantic at all, Steve, but IMDB only shows Rooney Mara starring in the first film (with Daniel Craig).

The original Swedish films are so universally praised that I'm sure I would still enjoy them, foreign language and all.
    You're not being pedantic. You're being correct, Scott.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

IIRC all 3 were remade (Rooney Mara instead of Noomi Rapace). I might be wrong.

Robin Williams? Uh, nope.
    I was thinking of the Norwegian film Insomnia and the Americanized version with Pacino and Robin Williams. It's all Greek to me.

Watched Ant Man. Pretty entertaining - can't remember if opinions of it were generally good or bad.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Were generally good, 81% on RT, I enjoyed it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Did they use CGI to make Michael Douglas look young in the beginning? If so, pretty amazing.

Rob Zombies latest film. Set in 1976, a minibus full of a half dozen carnies travelling the southwest gets hijacked , and the occupants
    are forced to play a game called 31 for the amusement of a few select wealthy patrons dressed in full Victorian garb. The object of 31 is to stay alive
    in the deserted industrial complex where the game takes place for 12 hours. Various assassins are dispensed throughout the 12 hours to try and
    kill the "contestants". Each contestant is given a number, and odds on surviving for the benefit of placing bets by the Victorian folk.

Yes, it is every bit as bizarre as it sounds! It is also one of Zombies better efforts. Horror hounds take notice!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

^^ Sounds like Running Man.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ Sounds like Running Man.
    I was thinking the same thing after watching it. Only much darker,violent,and perverse!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Nocturnal Animals - Loved this stylish noir all the way up until the lame-ass ending which left us literally hissing at the TV as the credits rolled. Not that we didn't *get* it, or for that matter, any of the metaphors presented throughout. That said, still worth a watch, mainly due to the insanely scrumptious Amy Adams and the ever excellent scene-stealing Michael Shannon.

7.75 out of 10 shoulda, coulda, woulda's.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Watched The Age Of Adeline (2015) last night. Imo a very original premise with a very interesting way of making fantasy somehow seem more plausible albeit far-fetched. Blake Lively and some guy I don't know (Michiel Huisman) were the protagonists with Harrison Ford, Ellen Burstyn & Kathy Baker in supporting roles.

Yes, there is a bit of romantic schmaltz, but in the context of the story, it works, and has one great twist.

Watched The Age Of Adeline (2015) last night. Imo a very original premise with a very interesting way of making fantasy somehow seem more plausible albeit far-fetched. Blake Lively and some guy I don't know (Michiel Huisman) were the protagonists with Harrison Ford, Ellen Burstyn & Kathy Baker in supporting roles.

Yes, there is a bit of romantic schmaltz, but in the context of the story, it works, and has one great twist.
    I enjoyed that one too.

Just saw both 'The Arrival' and 'Passengers' and enjoyed them both quite a bit.

Just got back from seeing Fantastic Beasts. Pretty good over all.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

I finally saw Hell Or High Water last night. Still don't know why my region got stiffed on having it shown in theaters. Where better than the West to show a modern-day Western? But at l(e)ast I got to see this excellent movie.
    Just saw it myself last night.

I liked No Country for Old Men, really liked it. Bardem's performance was incendiary.

Really did not think that West Texas tale of darkness could be topped, come Hell or High Water.

But I loved this. Darkness times humor will get me every time.

8 out of nine rattlesnakes for a waitress.
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 01-05-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Landmine Goes Click

Watched this on Amazon Prime the other night. A young engaged couple, along with their best man, head to the Georgian countryside
    in Russia for some hiking and backpacking a week before the wedding. The best man inadvertently steps on a very old landmine, and
    that's when things start to break down. He can't step off for fear of detonating it. To say anymore would be a spoiler for anyone who
    might be interested in watching it. I will say that this was one helluva suspenseful thriller.Disturbing at times to watch, but well worth
    the effort. Goes to show that a low budget movie can be exceptional. Superbly acted! Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Goes to show that a low budget movie can be exceptional.
    So true. Check out Open Water (2003). Another low budget, indie movie that's really good.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Cool night in Georgia...went to see Manchester by the Sea Excellent but a thoroughly depressing movie. Complete silence in the theatre, so could you could hear people sobbing. Very slow moving but I loved it!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    So true. Check out Open Water (2003). Another low budget, indie movie that's really good.
    I have, and it is!!

Watched Hell or High Water last night. Good, solidly entertaining movie with some subtle social commentary that is, at various times, humorous. See it!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The Square--Australian crime story in which anything that can go wrong sort of does. It was engaging, but I don't know that I'd care to see it again.

Watched "Florence Foster Jenkins," which came out last summer. Stars Meryl Streep in the factual role of a wealthy, WWII-era patron of the arts in NYC who fancies herself a singer, except she couldn't sing. Very funny and touching -- I'd recommend it for those who enjoyed "Topsy Turvy." It's also reminiscent of some latter-day Woody Allen movies. If it had been presented as a Woody Allen movie I would have believed it was. It evokes 1940s NYC very well. Hugh Grant is also very good in it, and Simon Helberg from "Big Bang Theory" (which I've never seen) is also great and hilarious.